You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Raskeria_

How to deal with CV hate and other things?

17 comments in this topic

Players
23 posts
5,411 battles

Ok, I want to get into CV's. I have the Midway and Hakuryu, but I am just so afraid to play them, I am by no means amazing, but I know the basics, I can do well. The other night I played the Kaga, managed to kill the enemy CV off because he was alone and I thought why not. Did 207k dmg helped my team and enjoyed it, I overall love CV's, I love every ship class. But the the night before that I played against a Kaga in my Saipan, and this guy knew what he was doing, strafing didnt work, his bombers appeared in the least expected spots and overall I couldnt do anything, my team then said I was terrible, Kaga vs Saipan is so one sided and all of that other stuff, and that really put me down because before that I had a really fun Saipan match. When I play CV's I feel this overwhelming pressure, that I need to perform well and not let my team down, and those comments that my team made in the Saipan match are the exact comments I hate and really discourage me. Also another thing is that my team expect me to have fighters everywhere like they can teleport or something, I cant instantly get them over there and they say I am bad just because of that, like my planes are super fast. Anyway, this post is getting long, but I really dont know what to do, I want to play CV's so badly, but I am just so afraid, and I am not very good with micro when under pressure, not by the enemy, but by my own team. Anyway thanks for any input.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,568 posts
16,702 battles

As a general rule of thumb no matter how good you are in a CV, at the end of the day someone is going to be salty. As you said, your team expects you to be everywhere at the right moment, most people do not understand your limitations as they simply don't play CVs, thus do not know the challenges you are facing.

There are also times when you just have to decide which flank you cover and which ships you abandon to their fate and no matter what decision you make or how correct it may be, at least one guy is going to whine and complain.

It's simply part of CV play at the moment. Don't let it bother you.

If you really want to make a big effort into improving I'll refer you to Farra's CV guide here:

(Wait a while for the thread to load, lots of videos in here.)

If there is anything else that you don't understand or need help with, just create a thread in the Gameplay or CV subsection. Someone will help you then for sure (though be prepared for a couple of "git gud" comments).

• Cool 3

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
2 hours ago, _Raskeria_ said:

Ok, I want to get into CV's. I have the Midway and Hakuryu, but I am just so afraid to play them, I am by no means amazing, but I know the basics, I can do well. The other night I played the Kaga, managed to kill the enemy CV off because he was alone and I thought why not. Did 207k dmg helped my team and enjoyed it, I overall love CV's, I love every ship class. But the the night before that I played against a Kaga in my Saipan, and this guy knew what he was doing, strafing didnt work, his bombers appeared in the least expected spots and overall I couldnt do anything, my team then said I was terrible, Kaga vs Saipan is so one sided and all of that other stuff, and that really put me down because before that I had a really fun Saipan match. When I play CV's I feel this overwhelming pressure, that I need to perform well and not let my team down, and those comments that my team made in the Saipan match are the exact comments I hate and really discourage me. Also another thing is that my team expect me to have fighters everywhere like they can teleport or something, I cant instantly get them over there and they say I am bad just because of that, like my planes are super fast. Anyway, this post is getting long, but I really dont know what to do, I want to play CV's so badly, but I am just so afraid, and I am not very good with micro when under pressure, not by the enemy, but by my own team. Anyway thanks for any input.

git gud. :Smile-_tongue:

• Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,786 battles
34 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

As a general rule of thumb no matter how good you are in a CV, at the end of the day someone is going to be salty.

That.

If it's not one of your teammates who wanted you to be his personal AA and scouting pet that's mad at you, or that one ship that had just smoked up to starting gunning away at a battleship before you nuked it with a good strike, then it's going to be the enemy team.

Hell, it might just be one of those CV PTSD knobs that just report every CV player on principle because he got nuked a couple times too many.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,461 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, _Raskeria_ sagte:

Well, first think about: Is he right? Could I have done something better?

There are flamers, but not all of them are wrong. If you can improve yourself, do it, even if he said it in a mean way.

If he's just talking crap, ignore him and let him die, or flame back and have fun in the chat. Your decision :Smile_trollface:

If you think you are not ready for hightier CVs, then so be it. Train in lower tiers until you are sure you can rock them T10 matches ^^

There is not much to gain from playing higher tiers so you have all the time in the world.

CV sniping is bad, don't do it :P

Kaga vs Saipan is the worst possible matchup. You still have a chance with superior skillz though.

It's good that you don't want to let your team down. Because CVs are the most important ships in the game. A bad CV is harder to carry than a bad BB or any other ship. But being important is not the same as being omnipotent. You can't protect everyone, especially not the players with IQ below room temperature. And you have to live with that fact. Accept that the BB going alone to D on North is dead as soon as the other CV sees him. Maybe tell him in chat, but then ignore him. Don't waste your resources (planes as well as brain capacity) for a ship that wouldn't help much anyway. A good CV player sets priorities on who he protects and who can die if necessary. (DDs should be always top priority ^^)

The team-friendly way is telling in chat when the game starts where you will be with your fighters. Your team will know where to go if they are ingelligent. You won't need those who are not.

Develop an "I told you"-mindset for those you won't protect. Laugh about them (maybe not in chat though, a chatban makes communication harder ^^).

@absolute_justice and I have a lot of fun in teamspeak when players start to flame after we told them they shouldn't go there because they will die. :cap_haloween:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,568 posts
16,702 battles

Oh, do be aware that there are also certain people here on the forums who believe CVs are the plague upon Earth. They will dismiss all irrefutable facts, point out all the good sides of CV play while refusing all the bad sides, insist on their biased point of view being totally objective and ofc demand that you stop playing this totally broken class right now.

I won't name any but two are apparently following me just so they can downvote every post I make about CVs. I take it as a compliment, really. :D

• Funny 1

[SLAPP]
Players
1,340 posts
7,559 battles

Well cv's  have the most influence on a game. can not say if u played that  game correctly. but u know about strafing. u did some nice damage and u talk about helping your team.

in terms of random cv players that already says your way better then average. 

Anyways Most ppl in randoms dont know how to do basic things in the classes they ARE playing.

let alone know how to play a cv. i should not worry about it too mutch.

I bet it are BB players who break off of the fleet and then get torped that call out the most? :D

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
On 2/7/2018 at 9:14 AM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

You can't protect everyone, especially not the players with IQ below room temperature. And you have to live with that fact. Accept that the BB going alone to D on North is dead as soon as the other CV sees him. Maybe tell him in chat, but then ignore him. Don't waste your resources (planes as well as brain capacity) for a ship that wouldn't help much anyway. A good CV player sets priorities on who he protects and who can die if necessary. (DDs should be always top priority ^^)

The team-friendly way is telling in chat when the game starts where you will be with your fighters. Your team will know where to go if they are ingelligent. You won't need those who are not.

Develop an "I told you"-mindset for those you won't protect. Laugh about them (maybe not in chat though, a chatban makes communication harder ^^).

@absolute_justice and I have a lot of fun in teamspeak when players start to flame after we told them they shouldn't go there because they will die. :cap_haloween:

The "BB going north alone" is too extreme an example. 

Sometimes a BB just has to hold a point to support some DDs, with or without AA cruiser support. The BB probably has decent AA and ok maneuverability by itself, to have the confidence to station itself where it is, but still nowhere enough AA to discourage the enemy CV from focusing him. Even if the enemy CV was but a same-tier CV which means its planes are not invulnerable to the AA either.

That BB probably already had to face an air strike alone. Both it, and its friendly CV ideally should know from this that another strike will probably be sent at it. Even the friendly DD huddled up to him to prepare for AA.

This is a more common scenario in-line with everyday experiences. Now, will you be telling that BB "I told you so?" for going off alone? No, neither you nor the BB would have time to type anything much in chat. So can you take its silence and staying where it is as a sign of below-temperature IQ? Because if so, then it also has the right to take your silence and slow reaction, as being a dumb, inconsiderate and selfish CV player. Especially if you cannot manage to send your planes to him in the end, because you had to keep your 1 fighter squad for whatever reason. Sure, you can send them to hover over him after he dies in an apologetic kind of way, but the BB will just see it as adding insult to injury. The DD he tried to support is dead, his side is lost, and he will blame it all on you CV. And he will even outright report you, rightfully so, if you assumed you wouldn't need to help him just because you "told him so" earlier in chat, neglecting what actually happens in game later.

So no, you cannot just live with the fact that ppl will die, and write people off with the assumption that they are just "bad", and "deserve it". Sometimes they even headed off with an AA cruiser too, but the cruiser just got one-shotted. Are you going to tell them to turn around and take the long-way back to camp with the rest of the team so they will be "safe" from enemy air? Now that would be ridiculous. 

So no, you cannot and should not have any kind of "I told you" mindset, ever. Every ship that dies to or not to air is your fault, and you should type a quick "sry" for not being able to protect them, every time (especially air). You could have spotted for them, pressured enemies with imminent strikes for them, held off strike planes with fighters for them, outright killed enemies for them, even sailed your own CV up just within vision range of enemy to bait enemy fire away from them (but turning around without dying, also so you are closer to the action and can launch planes faster, also shows confidence and trust in team will protect you by sailing closer to them). If anyone was sailing off alone, that was because you failed to persuade them via early chat to not to do so. If they are holding a dangerous position in attempt to help DDs and is suffering for it, it's on you for not supporting them enough and not telling them it's ok for them to back down a bit ("I have the strategic view, I saw the enemy coming from a mile away, trust me it's ok .. etc."). It's always on you, the CV. 

Did you know the Midway has deck armour thicker than most cruisers? You really can do some quality baiting in that thing. Even Hakuryu deck armour can resist 203mm CA HE. Ahem, but back to topic. @_Raskeria_. This is just a very idealized, perfectionist kind of take on the CV philosophy, which I prefer, but still which I myself cannot even remotely achieve to such a standard anymore. Hell, the amount of ppl achievable on EU server is probably only a handful from the top competitive clans. It's quite a departure from the more traditional "just kill all enemy ships with op strike CV" philosophy, and this "support" philosophy is also only reasonably possible too on AS Hakuryu. So I won't pressure you having to must achieve this standard, because it really is difficult, but I would still like to simply say, like that ONE PIECE anime, "it exists out there, it is possible, I had seen it with my own eyes, so go on now and search for it too". So at least strive for it, it will make you a better CV player both for yourself and for the team. And at the very least, the simple quick 3 character "sry" can stem off a surprising amount of otherwise salty tears and reports on the CV. XD

p.s. I'm not condoning the "pressure" part, that's WG's design problem. It's just that there is "expectation" on the CV, but rightly so, and not necessarily bad either.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,461 battles
Vor 38 Minuten, KarmaQU_EU sagte:

No, neither you nor the BB would have time to type anything much in chat.

Don't underestimate my chat power :cap_haloween:

Vor 39 Minuten, KarmaQU_EU sagte:

Because if so, then it also has the right to take your silence and slow reaction, as being a dumb, inconsiderate and selfish CV player. Especially if you cannot manage to send your planes to him in the end, because you had to keep your 1 fighter squad for whatever reason.

So, when I don't want to let 10 players down to save one, that's selfish?

I tell you it's not. It's a necessary decision to protect the bigger group and leave the smaller group hanging when it comes to the crunch.

This is actually pretty similar to the trolley problem.

Just to be clear: I never intended to say that you let everyone who makes a false decision die by the hands of the enemy CV. My point is that you often have to choose who to protect. There are scenarios where it's just impossible to help everyone. And as a CV player you have to be prepared to make those decisions fast and right. And also how to live with the consequences from that decision.

But if you can help the solo BB at D without hurting the rest of the team, of course you should do it, no matter what happened in the chat before.

Vor 49 Minuten, KarmaQU_EU sagte:

If anyone was sailing off alone, that was because you failed to persuade them via early chat to not to do so.

This part is just unrealistically idealistic (even more than the rest of your post :P), considering the average player base. The CV is never responsible for the player's inability to read and/or comprehend the chat.

[AKI]
Players
80 posts
16,635 battles

Try to keep your fighters a bit in the back to support your team sometimes. So the enemy cv doesn't know where they are and might attack there where they are.
Look at the minimap all the time. Where do the planes go and where do they come from, try to guess where they will be.

Split up your fighters if possible, so you cover a larger area to defend, even if it means you have less fighters. Streafing the enemy planes helps to destroy them :)

Look at the ships on your team, stick with ships that have less AA or that are not supported by AA CL/CA

And as said previously, you'll always get salty players. Once reckt a full HP Scharn with AP bombs who was in the frontlines, not moving and not supported. And got called a "bot" ^^

Getting those kind of people is always fun, try to add some more salt to it, might make them rage quit the game (for ever) and their reactions are just hilarious:Smile_popcorn:

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

CVs are all about the all-or-nothing approach in balance and in how people see them. If you don't do all, people will see nothing, and complain for what they don't see. You have the ship most capable of carrying the team, so if you don't carry the team, people will complain. Including anyone you might not cover 100% of the time even if you do win. While I would say that the people who complain are usually the ones who don't understand the gameplay, 95.3% of players have absolutely no clue about what you're doing or what you should be doing in a CV anyway, so the remaining 4.7% aren't exactly common. And they complain anyway, because they know better than you do and you should obviously know everything they know, including anticipating what they think they will know in the future.

Some pointers, though:

• Grow a thick skin. Sorry to say, but it's mandatory to enjoy playing CVs.
  • Pay attention to and remember everyone who says something positive. Helps with the previous point.
  • Listen to the people who give you reasonable advice. The hard part is filtering all the crap. Need to frequently change filters.
  • Use the chat if you have time to explain what you're doing, what you're planning, and if you've got plenty of time, explain what you've done.
  • Don't complain about being bottom tier, or MM. It never helps for anyone in any class, but it drags the team down especially with CVs.
  • If your DDs try to cap, help them out. They're usually the ones with the worst AA and the most need of AA support from planes. BBs more often have CAs close by.
  • As a DD player, I do not appreciate it when the CV tries to strike in a way that makes the enemy dodge my incoming DD torps. Most good CV players know how to crossdrop. Use the DD torps to cross with your plane torps, and remember that DD torps are more powerful.

On 07/02/2018 at 2:14 AM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Accept that the BB going alone to D on North is dead as soon as the other CV sees him.

Actually, if you have an ally you think the enemy CV is going to strike with reasonably certainty, that's a good time to have fighters ready to intercept. It's probably not a good idea to dedicate your fighters for that BB, but having some in the next cap over just in case might be a good idea. The BB is mostly useless, but less so if she can bait some bomb planes for you to strafe.

Players
1,288 posts
7,511 battles

Weird. I play mostly CVs and I almost never get hate or negative stuff from anyone except the "What are you doing here? you must go to the edge of the map!, you noob!" when I'm going close to the frontline with my carrier. I like those comments because after I have nuliffied the enemy carrier and sank three ships or so I can with "What you were saying about me being a noob?" sometimes I say "Trust me, I know what I'm doing".

One of the very few times I get cv hate was when I was playing in Essex and had a HUGE lag (but I mean, a HUGE one, it was impossible to strafe or even do manual attacks). I couldn't defend the fleet and my fighters were easly strafed.

Seems one needs to be THAT bad to get cv hate. Or having the bad luck of having some 15 years old kid which insults everybody just because he can.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
On 08/02/2018 at 12:54 PM, Sargento_YO said:

Seems one needs to be THAT bad to get cv hate. Or having the bad luck of having some 15 years old kid which insults everybody just because he can.

I don't play CVs, but I hear it all the time. If I hear whining, which is often, half the time it's CV-related.

I only yell at helpfully instruct CVs as proportionally often as other ships, and not nearly as much as I correct idiots on these forums.

[DSPA]
Beta Tester
280 posts

I fail to understand how people like to  play carriers in this game. From a gameplay point of view  It is probably the most boring class I have ever witnessed in a game.

• Bad 1

[SB]
Players
88 posts
1,569 battles
34 minutes ago, clocky said:

I fail to understand how people like to  play carriers in this game. From a gameplay point of view  It is probably the most boring class I have ever witnessed in a game.

Easy. Effective damage dealer that relies on the ability to outwit an opponent. Decisions made in a CV carry far more weight than most other classes, meaning that if I [edited]up it's easy for me to tell I where when and how I fucked up... but if played right, I can nail that carry to get the single most rewarding high in the game.

That's how it is for me personally, cannot speak for everyone else.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
On 10/02/2018 at 11:56 AM, clocky said:

I fail to understand how people like to  play carriers in this game.

Judging by your signature, it probably has to do with you not trying to understand how others can possibly think differently from you.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1