You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LilJumpa

Official PSA on the recent warning/ban wave by Sub_Octavian

36 comments in this topic

[BONUS] Bellegar
773 posts
17 hours ago, LilJumpa said:

Ok :)

Looking forward to your argument then, but I personally think that what Sub is saying makes sense to me and is a logical argument/reasoning.

Ofc you cannot like this decision if you are a fan of the historical skins, but it's hard to argue against logic.

Just grabbing your attention with the notification.... argument incoming :Smile-_tongue:

17 hours ago, MrConway said:

Just to clarify this, when mods containing a Swastika are not allowed we do not mean you are not allowed to install them, they will just not be allowed to be posted on the forums.

As we are now moving to a system where we check and approve all mods posted on the forums, we cannot endorse mods that contain a Swastika, as this could create potential issues for us in countries such as Germany.

While we urge you to install only mods from the forum that have been checked by us, you can still safely mod the historical flags from third-party sites.

We will be posting an update to our mod rules for the official forums in the next few days.

Thanks for the statement @MrConway. While I still disagree with WG's mistreatment of the official forums as communications channel, that's a discussion for another time and place.

First of all I would like to make clear that I understand your reasoning behind the Swastika mods. Just like Jumpa said, I can disagree with it (I'm actually not even sure if I do), but at least it makes sense.

What's my argument all about then? Well, it's about what I believe to be double standards.

You see, the Swastika is actually not a forbidden symbol, even in Germany. Of course it's display gets frowned upon, but whether or not it's forbidden depends on the actions and the context of the display. As such, it's allowed to be shown in historical context (which this game might be). However, I understand that you guys don't want to take any chances in this case. It's a very controversial symbol and the choice to not endorse it in mods is a sensible one.

That said, what bothers me is the exclusion of the Rising Sun flag (not forbidden by law, even in China or Korea), the censoring of the Pan Asia flag (but the China vs China argument really has no place in this particular discussion, so I'm willing to let that one slip here) and the exclusion of the Imperial German Navy flag (not forbidden by law anywhere, even less controversial than some other flags I mentioned), while including the Soviet Hammer and Sickle flag (this one is actually banned by law in various Eastern European countries. It's use is a criminal offense).

Just to make this abundantly clear, this is not a plea to remove the Soviet flag, neither is it a plea to include a Swastika in the vanilla game client.

But I'd like an explanation why a bunch of legal symbols are left out of the game, while a symbot that's actually forbidden by law in some nations is in the game.

@MrConway, @Tuccy, @Kandly, @Sub_Octavian, any explanation or reasoning would be very welcome.

• Cool 6

[WG-EU] MrConway
1,140 posts
1,755 battles
On 2/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, Bellegar said:

Just grabbing your attention with the notification.... argument incoming :Smile-_tongue:

Thanks for the statement @MrConway. While I still disagree with WG's mistreatment of the official forums as communications channel, that's a discussion for another time and place.

First of all I would like to make clear that I understand your reasoning behind the Swastika mods. Just like Jumpa said, I can disagree with it (I'm actually not even sure if I do), but at least it makes sense.

What's my argument all about then? Well, it's about what I believe to be double standards.

You see, the Swastika is actually not a forbidden symbol, even in Germany. Of course it's display gets frowned upon, but whether or not it's forbidden depends on the actions and the context of the display. As such, it's allowed to be shown in historical context (which this game might be). However, I understand that you guys don't want to take any chances in this case. It's a very controversial symbol and the choice to not endorse it in mods is a sensible one.

That said, what bothers me is the exclusion of the Rising Sun flag (not forbidden by law, even in China or Korea), the censoring of the Pan Asia flag (but the China vs China argument really has no place in this particular discussion, so I'm willing to let that one slip here) and the exclusion of the Imperial German Navy flag (not forbidden by law anywhere, even less controversial than some other flags I mentioned), while including the Soviet Hammer and Sickle flag (this one is actually banned by law in various Eastern European countries. It's use is a criminal offense).

Just to make this abundantly clear, this is not a plea to remove the Soviet flag, neither is it a plea to include a Swastika in the vanilla game client.

But I'd like an explanation why a bunch of legal symbols are left out of the game, while a symbot that's actually forbidden by law in some nations is in the game.

@MrConway, @Tuccy, @Kandly, @Sub_Octavian, any explanation or reasoning would be very welcome.

As I said, a statement regarding how we will be dealing with the various historical flags is forthcoming, that should answer questions regarding the other flags.

Right now I am only referring to the Swastika. While it might be possible to get around the German restriction, it is honestly not something we want to try. Its a game after all, not a historical simulator :)

• Cool 1

[WG-EU] MrConway
1,140 posts
1,755 battles
On 2/6/2018 at 5:59 PM, Hades_warrior said:

But Aslain is safe to continue using, right?

Any mod in our official forums has been checked and is safe to use.

• Cool 1

[BONUS] Bellegar
773 posts
16 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Right now I am only referring to the Swastika. While it might be possible to get around the German restriction, it is honestly not something we want to try. Its a game after all, not a historical simulator :)

I know :Smile_Default:

And of course you're not going to include a Swastika in your game. I do understand that.

But fair enough, I'll wait for that statement and poke you afterwards if I have more questions. That statement will be on the forums or portal right? Not just reddit/twitter/facebook/whatever media that is not related to the game.

Edit:

Am I right in remembering something about flags? Was there something in a preview video for this year or something? I certainly remember some hype about an upcoming flag feature...... :cap_hmm:

Edit 2:

Found it! It was something during the aftermath of the China vs China argument. There was going to be a feature to replace the default flag with a different flag (from preset options of course).

Now before I get my hopes up, @MrConway, are you talking about that feature or something different?

1,093 posts
2,482 battles
4 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Any mod in our official forums has been checked and is safe to use.

Ok, than ill keep using Aslain.

Where we can see the list of checked mods?

[SCRUB] robihr
2,756 posts
7,938 battles
27 minutes ago, MrConway said:

well you cant do anything when germany is being nazi about swastika :Smile_trollface:

[BK] Terendir
1,972 posts
8,962 battles

Thank godnees editing a simple dds file is easy enough that I can do it myself, no matter what hypocrite mod policy is in charge.

As long as soviet insigias are allowed i will not accept censoring of nazi flags, plain and simple.

Ban all or ban nothing.

• Cool 2

[FLYD-] Dampfboot
899 posts
8,150 battles

I am using Aslain, like it very much. He is doing a great job. I don't think you need much more than that, may optical things but that shouldn't be any issue with cheating.

Thankful WG has clarified he is koscher.

[WG-EU] MrConway
1,140 posts
1,755 battles
On 2/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, Bellegar said:

I know :Smile_Default:

And of course you're not going to include a Swastika in your game. I do understand that.

But fair enough, I'll wait for that statement and poke you afterwards if I have more questions. That statement will be on the forums or portal right? Not just reddit/twitter/facebook/whatever media that is not related to the game.

Edit:

Am I right in remembering something about flags? Was there something in a preview video for this year or something? I certainly remember some hype about an upcoming flag feature...... :cap_hmm:

Edit 2:

Found it! It was something during the aftermath of the China vs China argument. There was going to be a feature to replace the default flag with a different flag (from preset options of course).

Now before I get my hopes up, @MrConway, are you talking about that feature or something different?

No sorry, I was referring to an upcoming rule regarding modifications. The ability to change flags in game for the Pan-Asian tree is however still coming.

[BONUS] Bellegar
773 posts
6 minutes ago, MrConway said:

No sorry, I was referring to an upcoming rule regarding modifications. The ability to change flags in game for the Pan-Asian tree is however still coming.

Aww okay. Looking forward to the announcement regardless :Smile_honoring: (and to that flag feature!)

1,548 posts
668 battles
22 minutes ago, MrConway said:

The ability to change flags in game for the Pan-Asian tree is however still coming.

Fingers crossed we'll also be able to change the ensign on German and Russian ships to have the correct one flying i.e. Kaiserliche Marine, Soviet Guards etc.