You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LilJumpa

Official PSA on the recent warning/ban wave by Sub_Octavian

70 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Hey everyone,

We couldn't help noticing some comments and discussion on recent suspensions and warnings for using forbidden game modifications and tools. It made us really sad that we were sometimes call an evil corporation that just bans people left and right for no reason. We investigated the cases of several people claiming they are innocent, analyzed the activities of illegal mod creators, and now can report the following:

1. Illegal modifications and tools detection is spot on and we are sure of it. We specifically contacted several players and with their cooperation, performed additional logging. While these players weren't malicious, they were indeed breaking the rules - with ReShade and similar tools, injecting into game client.

2. While we do enjoy some customization options offered by ReShade, it is very important for everyone to understand once and for all: such mechanics do allow malicious manipulation with the game and threaten fair play. I would also like to point out that World of Warships is not the only game where ReShade is forbidden nowadays (those who are interested in this topic, surely can do their research).

3. Moreover, we know for a fact that some of the forbidden mods and tools creators do encourage their users to deliberately create unrest and report "false positives". Harsh as it may sound, this is very much expected from this kind of people who are not ashamed to ruin game experience for others.

4. To improve further communication and protect innocent players, we will update our supporting texts on the issue and provide clearer instruction on how to make your game client safe and secure (basically, not to use anything forbidden and download mods only from the respective sections of official forums).

5. Our detection system is going to remain proprietary, and we're not going to share its principles. Unfortunately, we cannot provide individual feedback for every case, but if you follow the rules, play fair and avoid anything you're not sure of, you will be fine.

6. As for some claims that popular mod and modpacks officially approved on our forums trigger false positive, we're absolutely sure of the opposite. We check every modification before approving it, and God forbid something slips, the number of bans and warnings would be orders of magnitude bigger (given the popularity of these mods and packs, e.g. Aslain and ProShips).

I hope I made it more clear. Play fair, dear captains!

Source:

Spoiler

• Cool 6

[ONE2]
Players
2,391 posts
14,358 battles

Fair enough. I should be safe then, since I don't use any mods. Hehehe! Well, to be honest, it might be because don't really know how to anyways and too much trouble to update them every time the game gets updated eh? :Smile_Default:

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

I like he specifically mentions aslain. I like the way the updating works with his mod pack so I'd like to keep using that. 

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,391 posts
14,358 battles
Just now, Bellegar said:

Just as I thought. People were either being stupid, dumb or lying.

WOOT?! people being stupid in WoWs?:Smile_ohmy: Oh Dear God! Never Good Sir, I tell you. This outrage could simply not be possible.:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
2,743 posts
15,567 battles

well thats nice to hear.

so i assume i can now safely reinstall aslains.

there were some things going on that made me unsure whether its completly fine

Players
494 posts
5,618 battles

So is Aslain safe or not ??

I think that main problem is that players who use Aslain are not using option to delete/clear old files when they install new Aslain - I would say that in this way you clear files and mod that are maybe not in use anymore because it is not allowed anymore, if you don't clear it and by that delete it maybe WG's program found that files and than u get a warn or whatever you do get ..

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,038 posts
21 minutes ago, Cime said:

So is Aslain safe or not ??

Aslain has always been safe.

There were people 'reporting' being banned for using nothing but Aslain. I never believed those people, and turns out it's utter BS.

Like I said, it's either people being stupid (by doing what you described) or lying.

• Cool 2

Players
494 posts
5,618 battles

I now found that historic mode with swastika and ijn imperial flag are banned 05.02. - so I guess we should uninstall that mode asap  ..

"

I didn't see this posted around here, but yesterday, the two modpack authors that i use updated their modpacks with info as follows:

Aslain's:

v.7.0.2 #07 (05-02-2018): - updated clan icons [5 eu, 2 na, 1 asia] - updated contour icons by Hakabase, Panzerschiffer [removed swastika] - updated PolandBall commanders [removed swastika] - updated No Rust skins [removed swastika] - removed skins: Historical: Admiral Hipper, Prinz Eugen, Bismarck, >Tirpitz, Graf Zeppelin - removed contour icons: Garfield - removed Japan & German Navy flags by MR - removed Kancolle UI by garfield001 - removed mods will be back later, if their authors remove nazi symbols >as requested by WG

Hakabases':

For complying the rule from WG, "modifications containing swastika and >other Nazi symbols are prohibited!". In #06 installer, those symbols has >been removed, please re-install mods with #06 ASAP.

↑ Ensign-Historical, Kanti (by haka) ↑ Ship Icon-Hakabase V1~V3 (by haka) ↑ Skin-No Rust->Germany, removed improper symbols (by Jyiming Jiang) ↑ removed improper symbols from whole pack. × temporarily removed some mods with improper symbols.

especially with the recent ban wave of some NA users, I would suggest everyone to uninstall said mods if they have any"

• Angry 3

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,300 posts
6,181 battles
2 minutes ago, Cime said:

I now found that historic mode with swastika and ijn imperial flag are banned 05.02. - so I guess we should uninstall that mode asap  ..

The fuk?

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,038 posts

Like he said: the fuk?

@Sub_Octavian, @Tuccy, @Kandly I'd like an official statement and explanation for that on the official forums. If you want to change something that affects so many players (as you said yourself in the opening post Sub, Aslains is quite popular), could you at least talk about it on your own forums?

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles
32 minutes ago, Bellegar said:

Like he said: the fuk?

@Sub_Octavian, @Tuccy, @Kandly I'd like an official statement and explanation for that on the official forums. If you want to change something that affects so many players (as you said yourself in the opening post Sub, Aslains is quite popular), could you at least talk about it on your own forums?

If you follow both reddit threads it is pretty simple.

The mods in the official mod section are officially supported and endorsed by Wargaming. They stand for them with their name from now on.

With this being the case they cannot officially be connected with mods that include e.g. the swastika flag or other controversial/in some countries forbidden emblems or flags. (Remember the Pan Asian story)

All he is saying in the last hours is:

Those mods cannot be in the officially endorsed modpacks but they are not forbidden or banable. But you can only download them from other mod sites and nobody knows what is in those external modpacks and they are a "use at your own risk" thing and not supported in any way by the game.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,038 posts
Just now, LilJumpa said:

If you follow both reddit threads it is pretty simple.

The mods in the official mod section are officially supported and endorsed by Wargaming. They stand for them with their name from now on.

With this being the case they cannot officially be connected with mods that include e.g. the swastika flag or other controversial/in some countries forbidden emblems or flags. (Remember the Pan Asian story)

All he is saying in the last hours is:

Those mods cannot be in the officially endorsed modpacks but they are not forbidden or banable. But you can only download them from other mod sites and nobody knows what is in those external modpacks and they are a "use at your own risk" thing and not supported in any way by the game.

I know what he's saying, but I want them to also say it here.

I have an argument at the ready, but I don't want to argue on reddit (don't have an account, don't plan on making one), and I want to leave the pitchforks in the barn at least until they had the chance to comment on it here.

You know, neutral ground and equal chances and all that.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles
1 minute ago, Bellegar said:

I know what he's saying, but I want them to also say it here.

I have an argument at the ready, but I don't want to argue on reddit (don't have an account, don't plan on making one), and I want to leave the pitchforks in the barn at least until they had the chance to comment on it here.

You know, neutral ground and equal chances and all that.

Ok :)

Looking forward to your argument then, but I personally think that what Sub is saying makes sense to me and is a logical argument/reasoning.

Ofc you cannot like this decision if you are a fan of the historical skins, but it's hard to argue against logic.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,131 posts
2,239 battles
1 hour ago, Cime said:

"

I didn't see this posted around here, but yesterday, the two modpack authors that i use updated their modpacks with info as follows:

Aslain's:

v.7.0.2 #07 (05-02-2018): - updated clan icons [5 eu, 2 na, 1 asia] - updated contour icons by Hakabase, Panzerschiffer [removed swastika] - updated PolandBall commanders [removed swastika] - updated No Rust skins [removed swastika] - removed skins: Historical: Admiral Hipper, Prinz Eugen, Bismarck, >Tirpitz, Graf Zeppelin - removed contour icons: Garfield - removed Japan & German Navy flags by MR - removed Kancolle UI by garfield001 - removed mods will be back later, if their authors remove nazi symbols >as requested by WG

Hakabases':

For complying the rule from WG, "modifications containing swastika and >other Nazi symbols are prohibited!". In #06 installer, those symbols has >been removed, please re-install mods with #06 ASAP.

↑ Ensign-Historical, Kanti (by haka) ↑ Ship Icon-Hakabase V1~V3 (by haka) ↑ Skin-No Rust->Germany, removed improper symbols (by Jyiming Jiang) ↑ removed improper symbols from whole pack. × temporarily removed some mods with improper symbols.

especially with the recent ban wave of some NA users, I would suggest everyone to uninstall said mods if they have any"

Just to clarify this, when mods containing a Swastika are not allowed we do not mean you are not allowed to install them, they will just not be allowed to be posted on the forums.

As we are now moving to a system where we check and approve all mods posted on the forums, we cannot endorse mods that contain a Swastika, as this could create potential issues for us in countries such as Germany.

While we urge you to install only mods from the forum that have been checked by us, you can still safely mod the historical flags from third-party sites.

We will be posting an update to our mod rules for the official forums in the next few days.

• Cool 5

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles
4 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Just to clarify this, when mods containing a Swastika are not allowed we do not mean you are not allowed to install them, they will just not be allowed to be posted on the forums.

As we are now moving to a system where we check and approve all mods posted on the forums, we cannot endorse mods that contain a Swastika, as this could create potential issues for us in countries such as Germany.

While we urge you to install only mods from the forum that have been checked by us, you can still safely mod the historical flags from third-party sites.

We will be posting an update to our mod rules for the official forums in the next few days.

But Aslain is safe to continue using, right?

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,300 posts
6,181 battles
8 minutes ago, MrConway said:

But why is the X on the minimap considered legal?

[RN]
Alpha Tester
920 posts

if swastika is offensive im offended by HSF and other abbrevivations as well.

you cant erase the past you can only forget it. im not saying that ppl under that banner were good or bad

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,237 posts
Vor 1 Minute, indycar sagte:

if swastika is offensive im offended by HSF and other abbrevivations as well.

:Smile_facepalm:

Players
277 posts
11,510 battles

The Hammer and Sickle is illegal in many countries served by the EU server. Why are you content to include it in the game when apparently even allowing players to talk about the various historical German flags and emblems is considered an unacceptable risk?

• Cool 1

Modder, Supertester
1,235 posts
8,115 battles
1 minute ago, 300ConfirmedKills said:

The Hammer and Sickle is illegal in many countries served by the EU server. Why are you content to include it in the game when apparently even allowing players to talk about the various historical German flags and emblems is considered an unacceptable risk?

If they would actually do it right they would also have to ban the Kaiserliche marine flag...

Or if they don't ban it.. why isn't it in the game then? Same applies to the IJN Flag, Pan-Asia DD flags and the list goes on... IJN Flag gets "censored" ingame but it's fine to have a mod of it in the forum? Better just ban it altogether.. otherwise people would think you endorse it...

Which means in other words: They would have to ban any flag mod from our forum except those with fantasy flags if they ment it serious... The way they do it right now is just based on double standards...

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Beta Tester
229 posts
6,432 battles
13 minutes ago, IsamuKondera said:

If they would actually do it right they would also have to ban the Kaiserliche marine flag...

Or if they don't ban it.. why isn't it in the game then? Same applies to the IJN Flag, Pan-Asia DD flags and the list goes on... IJN Flag gets "censored" ingame but it's fine to have a mod of it in the forum? Better just ban it altogether.. otherwise people would think you endorse it...

Which means in other words: They would have to ban any flag mod from our forum except those with fantasy flags if they ment it serious... The way they do it right now is just based on double standards...

double standards do exist, when we are talking about historical flags.

Annoying yes, but we'll just have to get used to it.

This is not a historical discussion forum, this is a commercial game after all.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles

Solution: ban all mods.

Vanilla ftw.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,171 posts
2,397 battles
2 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

But Aslain is safe to continue using, right?

Yes and Proships and the WG offical pak as I understand Sub_Oct's original message