Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dCK_Ad_Hominem

Suggestions for changes of plane dynamics

5 comments in this topic

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles

Hello all, 

a few thoughts crossed my mind recently regarding the way air planes work in the game. Now in before anyone gets his panties in a twist, the following are just mere suggestions for changes which I think could benefit the game. Please point out aspects I have overlooked or consequences I have not foreseen. Also, let's keep this a civil discussion. Without further ado:

1. Ships should always counter spot the plane that is spotting them (possibly excluding carrier strike craft). I guess we have all been in a situation in which we were plane spotted without knowing where exactly the plane in question was. I believe it would be beneficial and allow for counter play if one could at least see the plane. 

2. Ships engaging planes with aa (outside of smoke) should be spotted regardless of distance. Yes, Minotaur players, I'm looking at you. The idea that a ship should be able to shoot down planes without getting detected by those is possibly one of the worst game mechanics that wasn't addressed yet. Same as invisi firing this should be removed from the game and air spotting distance should at least the equal to aa range. This would make aft a double edged sword, but prevent severe frustration for high tier cv players. 

3. I'm expecting a lot of you to have a gripe with this, since it would change competitive cv play. Torpedoes should only be air spotted if a plane is in spotting range. Once the plane moves out of spotting range torpedoes should become unspotted again (I would include torp spotting by ships into this as well). This would make the game more demanding and dynamic, while improving the value of destroyers in competitive play. As it stands, a great cv can pretty much deny any sort of torpedo hits on his team mates by simply patrolling the corridors they are likely to pass through. This would be fine, as long as a once spotted torp wouldn't remain spotted forever. It would put a bigger strain on ships in the direction the torps are headed and increase the overall skill level. 

What are your thoughts on this :)?

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,224 posts
6,782 battles
5 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

1. Ships should always counter spot the plane that is spotting them (possibly excluding carrier strike craft). I guess we have all been in a situation in which we were plane spotted without knowing where exactly the plane in question was. I believe it would be beneficial and allow for counter play if one could at least see the plane. 

Well, seeing that floatplane spotter 15km away from you gives you nothing, right? Or seeing every other plane at 11km? It only becomes an "issue" when your AA range is over 8km + your air detectability is over 8km. Not going to be lying if I'll say that I don't know any single ship with those 2 together.

Obviously would be nice to know from where you are spotted, but at the same time it would be far easier to guess where is that planes host ship located

2. Ships engaging planes with aa (outside of smoke) should be spotted regardless of distance.

Already a thing for some while

Torpedoes should only be air spotted if a plane is in spotting range. Once the plane moves out of spotting range torpedoes should become unspotted again

Isn't this exactly how it works right now? Pretty sure it is. In a top-down view, especially when you yourself are in no danger of taking those torps that distance may seem larger than while you see them popping up next to your ship (also if they don't hit anything they obviously keep going again contributing to inflated sense of spotting distance)

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles
5 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Isn't this exactly how it works right now? Pretty sure it is. In a top-down view, especially when you yourself are in no danger of taking those torps that distance may seem larger than while you see them popping up next to your ship (also if they don't hit anything they obviously keep going again contributing to inflated sense of spotting distance)

Torps are permernantly "unstealthed" once they're spotted be it by a plane or ship. Good idea from OP but im torn though. On one hand its good team play if a CV player does it or  it give sspotter/fighter planes something useful to do. On the other hand, as someone who also play DDs it'll help with my torp hit rate. Decisions :cap_book:

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles
4 hours ago, pra3y said:

Torps are permernantly "unstealthed" once they're spotted be it by a plane or ship. Good idea from OP but im torn though. On one hand its good team play if a CV player does it or  it give sspotter/fighter planes something useful to do. On the other hand, as someone who also play DDs it'll help with my torp hit rate. Decisions :cap_book:

The torps becoming unspotted again wouldn't be a great issue for good players, since they would know the direction they are coming from. It would be a matter of communication between players which would allow cvs to be even better team assets. 

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles
1 hour ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

The torps becoming unspotted again wouldn't be a great issue for good players, since they would know the direction they are coming from. It would be a matter of communication between players which would allow cvs to be even better team assets. 

It could potentially up the "rage" at CV players though. Say this change goes through. Given most players often don't realise certain changes from the patches, they'll go " why aren't you spotting torps CV :etc_swear:" when you did but it becomes unspotted. If you keep them spotted with the fighters then you can't provide air cover if the enemy cv takes advantage of it and attack the other flank. If you use strike planes, you minimise your damage output and limit your strike support. 

Sign in to follow this