Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
tappo01

Why do people go the opposite from where they spawn?

35 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts
6,331 battles

I really dont understand, it makes sense that you try to push the cap that you spawned close to yet many times I see the team spawns at A/B and they all head C. Or even worse people starting A go C and people starting C go A... Why in the hell?

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Now that IS a very good question. Personally I have always just presumed pervasive idiocy or total and complete Noobism, especially when it happens in higher tiers. :Smile_facepalm:

With a faster ship and so on, it might still be feasible to pull it off though. And sometimes there is indeed a valid tactical reason. For example, if the other side has no DD to scout for them or is lacking any Cruiser or BB support and other such compelling reasons. :cap_hmm:

However I often see quite inexplicable movements like that with ships on the left going right and the right wing going left (then resulting in a huge traffic jam in the middle). Those games are usually lost within minutes. Unless, of course, the enemy is even more stupid than we are. One classical example I particularly detest would be a Colorado or a New Mexico going border hugging across the map because it is a total speedboat and will easily make it to anywhere it is needed on a moment's notice. Hehehe! :Smile_Default:

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Depending on the map it's a valid tactic as there are maps where the A spawn is a bit isolated to a point where it is difficult to get to B and if the players don't push through straight away, the big camping starts and they leave the rest of the map to the enemy team. So it's generally better to move to B and C on these maps. C to cap and B to contest.

These caps are basically a 'specul person' trap, i.e. Okinawa, Trap, Loop, while on other maps its the C (and D caps - North, Northern Lights).

It's annoying when players who spawn at A and B on North start to lemming to D. I have no idea what motivates them, it might be cowardice, the wish to not get shot as those two big rocks provide cover from the flank or they just wanna cap. In 99% of the games, they get wiped out or pop around the northern island when the rest of the team has been wiped out.

[SCRUB]
Players
617 posts
11,569 battles

..or slow US BBs (Colorado, New Mex) decide to sail around A on the Neighbors map to "Flank" :fish_palm:

In all honesty, my only reasonable explanation would be that some players want to have all their guns trained and able to fire at any given point. Sailing in a straight line from A to C or C to A makes that possible without "complicated" maneuvers. What can I say, there are people who think that they are sailing ships of the line and are trying to cross the enemy's "T" .. it also makes them juicy targets for torps and AP volleys, but hey, what do I know.. 

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Yeah @Jethro_Grey, though it (going D in Northern Lights) sometimes works, though you need FAST BB's and only a limited number, not the entire bloody half of the team like what sometimes happens. :Smile_facepalm:

Generally going D is best left to a sole DD (a fast one, Russian DD's are good for this), who would then immediately double back to cap C while the supporting group engages the enemy there to make sure they can't cap it meanwhile.:cap_hmm:

All that said, I did once cap it in Mogami (with a speed flag), since we had no DD on that side of the map and then doubled back to C cap from between the islands, since it looked like the enemy was going all A and B. That worked out nicely but of course, like everything it is purely situational and the outcome totally depends on the overall situation and what the enemy is doing.:cap_old:

[CATS]
Players
14,681 posts
10,879 battles

Depends on map and ship.

A cruiser is bad at capping.

If the cap in front of you is not contested by your DD, you move to the next cap and support that.

If your team got that cap and the next cap still needs help, you go there. Et voilà one move across the map.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Yupp, of course Herr. @ColonelPete you are absolutely right there. Whenever a Cruiser of a BB has to go capping, it is usually a sign that thing have already gone horribly wrong. But then again it is very situational, if there are no DD's left or none in your corner of the map (especially the enemy's) then it is occasionally feasible and the stealthiest available ship should try it instead. But yeah, it depends entirely on where the enemy BB's are at the time because if you get spotted in the middle of that foolishness, you will get blapped on the spot (unless in an RN Cruiser with smoke). :fish_boom:

I was actually in a game recently, where a division mate of mine actually capped all 3 caps (Hot Spot map) with a Bismarck (naturally I assisted) because all our team's DD Yolo'd off to somewhere, got killed instantly and accomplished nothing. So yeah, an emergency measure for sure. :Smile-_tongue:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,111 posts
11,654 battles

It's not always idiotic. As a BB I'll sometimes go central to get the enemy's attention.

Obviously this isn't viable on say Tears in a Colorado as you have to go to the nearest cap whether you like it or not lol...

The question should be more to why ppl clearly sail away from the action even though it's clear from the map where the enemy are. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,111 posts
11,654 battles

Don't worry too much about D cap North players or A cap Okinawa ones.

Those caps are intelligence tests :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,999 posts
7,167 battles
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

Don't worry too much about D cap North players or A cap Okinawa ones.

Those caps are intelligence tests :cap_haloween:

Tale tells there's a pot of gold at D in North.

• Funny 1

[TOAST]
Players
1,991 posts
25,644 battles

In an ideal game we would all play in a strategic manner, as was played in KOTS, by top clans OMNI, WGP2W, etc, but to play a strategic game, a plan/strategy has to be devised before the game starts for the map you are playing, and during the game, constant communication via TS needs to be adhered to, but sadly, we do not have this in a random battles as a team, the game about to start will consist of up to 12 strangers and little to zero communication, leading to independent strategies, and all with their own tactics on where to go, usually in a pack. 

The human brain is programmed to put safety as a priority tactic. and mostly in a division or clan will safety come 2nd to strategy in order to win.

Also, always remember the bad habits and tactics played on your team, will probably be happening on the other team too. 

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,611 posts
5,167 battles
56 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Depends on map and ship.

A cruiser is bad at capping.

I've capped a few times in my Minotaur :) More seriously though, if there is only 1 or zero DD's, then a wary CA should cap in domination games, but you do need 'friends' close by to offer support. RN CA's are good at this with their smoke, I've also seen Kutusovs try this, but never seen that work out yet.

With respect to cross mapping - yes there are the move over to support reason, but also people have strategies that they like on certain maps, perhaps do not appreciate the impact of them moving all the way over a map to try to do it when their spawns are not appropriate.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
535 posts
13,642 battles
9 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You are free to communicate with your team.

I suggest a strategy nearly every match.

Huh? 99% of the time the team is not willing to communicate at all no matter how hard one may attempt texting or map clicking...

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles
20 minutes ago, philjd said:

..but also people have strategies that they like on certain maps, perhaps do not appreciate the impact of them moving all the way over a map to try to do it when their spawns are not appropriate.

Yeah, some of my friends have that exact problem also "I can only play the left side of this map or it always goes badly, when I go right or some such utter Bullsh*t". I am trying to ween them out of it tho, always reminding the guys that they cannot hope to become decent players, if they cannot adapt and play the entire map instead of just one effin' corner of it. Oh well, still a work in progress. :Smile_Default:

[CATS]
Players
14,681 posts
10,879 battles
10 minutes ago, tsounts said:

Huh? 99% of the time the team is not willing to communicate at all no matter how hard one may attempt texting or map clicking...

Not my experience. In 90% of the cases I get at least one answer.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,176 posts
2,399 battles

I have to wonder myself sometimes, especially when the other 11 players  all seem to be heading in the opposite direction.

I can understand it if somebody has spawned on their own and is trying to link up with some of their team, especially if there is a CV about, but when somebody puts out a A + B ? and most confirm and start heading that way, why that one special person has to go to C alone when there meets the enemy and screams for support. I really have no idea.

• Cool 1

[KRAKN]
Players
107 posts
11,805 battles

Because the grass is always greener on the other side.

Some people lack tactical map experience. 

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

True dat @ColonelPete. Usually there are many, if you just F3 a cap or point a priority target or some such. That kinda works. Problem is tho that even if we decided right in the beginning of the battle, that we should go A+B and everyone starts up heading into that direction... So myself in a DD would by now be going for A full tilt and suddenly discover a few minutes later that every single ship (including the bozzo, who suggested A in the first place) has made a complete U-turn and are now instead heading to the opposite direction (C) full steam leaving me alone without backup. :Smile-_tongue:

So I either Yolo it or turn around and follow, in which case I will naturally be blamed for "not capping" the blasted A. :Smile_facepalm:

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,176 posts
2,399 battles
7 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

True dat @ColonelPete. Usually there are many, if you just F3 a cap or point a priority target or some such. That kinda works. Problem is tho that even if we decided right in the beginning of the battle, that we should go A+B and everyone starts up heading into that direction... So myself in a DD would by now be going for A full tilt and suddenly discover a few minutes later that every single ship (including the bozzo, who suggested A in the first place) has made a complete U-turn and are now instead heading to the opposite direction (C) full steam leaving me alone without backup. :Smile-_tongue:

So I either Yolo it or turn around and follow, in which case I will naturally be blamed for "not capping" the blasted A. :Smile_facepalm:

I usually see this happening when the team finds the enemy has had the same idea and is heading for the same flank.

Its a bit like those damned lemming trains that seem to happen a lot on Neighbors map, everybody is happy the sail the same way in a nice line (ish) until the front of the train see's the enemy and then turns, leading to a chaotic mess which resembles something like trying to watch a bunch of [edited] have sex with a door knob, whilst from the enemy perspective it becomes a turkey shoot.

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Yeah, I get that @Fat_Maniac BUT... I mean when it happens almost immediately and sometimes even before any enemy has been spotted anywhere on the map. Including near the flank we were going to, it makes no sense to me whatsoever. :cap_wander:

It kinda feels like a troll.. "Haha" Now we got the dumb DD going that way, let's all turn around."-kinda thing.:cap_haloween:

haha.jpg.03a9d5389ce1c9c099721ccbb8abe53c.jpg

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,176 posts
2,399 battles
1 minute ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeah, I get that @Fat_Maniac BUT... I mean when it happens almost immediately and sometimes even before any enemy has been spotted anywhere on the map. Including near the flank we were going to, it makes no sense to me whatsoever. :cap_wander:

Probably the fear of being spotted first focused down and deleted

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles
4 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Probably the fear of being spotted first focused down and deleted

Yeeah, but of course if one suffers from such strong feelings of fear and aversion to fighting there is always the Farming Simulator or something... :Smile_Default:

Sign in to follow this