Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
sisito0o

Will we receive waves in the game or ships will behave like cars forever ?

29 comments in this topic

[BGNAV]
Players
232 posts
3,238 battles

I just watched part of Sea Smackdown where this time they decided to compare a real footages with the game which immediately reminded me how far the game is from the real thing. They have added some good textures over it but the behavior of ships is the same like in Super Mario compared to real person, in that aspect the progress is close to none. Will it ever change is the question or we will forever stick to new premium ships and ports or a new collection at most.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,302 posts
6,186 battles

That probably requires an entire overhaul of game mechanics and the game itself....so it's possible, but not in several years

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles

MARIO ISNT REALISTIC !? 

And in all seriousness I doubt devs will ever implement any waves. It'd require too much modifications of the game core. More than complex, WG just doesn't have the ballz for this kind of change.

Tnaks on blue grass they were and shall remain forever.

[BGNAV]
Players
232 posts
3,238 battles
5 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I wonder from where do people get the idea that this is a historical simulator?

Going by your logic one can change the name of World of tanks to Warships and say this is the game for warships, yes it doesn't have ships in it or water but this is not a historical simulator just an arcade game so pretend that everything is there...

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,223 posts
6,782 battles
19 minutes ago, sisito0o said:

Going by your logic one can change the name of World of tanks to Warships and say this is the game for warships, yes it doesn't have ships in it or water but this is not a historical simulator just an arcade game so pretend that everything is there...

No, this is a GAME about warships - exactly what you have. The same way as WoT is a GAME about tanks - not a simulator either.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

No, this is a GAME about warships - exactly what you have. The same way as WoT is a GAME about tanks - not a simulator either.

A game about warships that just so happen to have historical name AND appearance, with a promotion campaign which keeps yelling "plunge into naval history", "experience the thrills of the iconic battles that went down in history" or "take command of realistic ships which fought in world wars !"
With THAT, I'm sorry but you just cannot expect people not to be confused and expect a simulator. Failgaming's litterally making most of its promotion over history and when you start playing turns the jacket and yells it's just an arcade game. It's not people's fault for expected what they were promised : realism. Even a little.

• Cool 2

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,076 posts
6,718 battles

The second you pit three Bismarck against two Bismarck and a Tirpitz, the game fails at being realistic.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Quality Poster
3,320 posts
8,375 battles
19 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

With THAT, I'm sorry but you just cannot expect people not to be confused and expect a simulator.

But that is a bit of a stretch isn't it? When I started the game I fully expected it to be arcady (like WoT that I never played). Same goes for clan mates and div mates I had over the years. Sure we discussed realism vs. game balance, but imho every body that thinks realism should be more implemented (e.g. according to the advertisement - by the way who still believes advertisements?) does this for either of two reasons:

a) because they really want a simulator and hope that WG will develop it in this direction since Warships is currently the only competitor for naval battles with capital ships in the modern times. 

--> Tough luck, that's not going to happen

b) because they only want it if realism works in their favour ("can we stop getting overpens in a DD, if a 406mm shell hit's thin armour there has to be a hole that sinks the ship"),

--> Like always, if it works that way, then Warships will be an ultra slow paced game because it takes you DAYS (literally) to cross a map with a large fleet.

Greetings

• Cool 4

[BGNAV]
Players
232 posts
3,238 battles
4 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

But that is a bit of a stretch isn't it? When I started the game I fully expected it to be arcady (like WoT that I never played). Same goes for clan mates and div mates I had over the years. Sure we discussed realism vs. game balance, but imho every body that thinks realism should be more implemented (e.g. according to the advertisement - by the way who still believes advertisements?) does this for either of two reasons:

a) because they really want a simulator and hope that WG will develop it in this direction since Warships is currently the only competitor for naval battles with capital ships in the modern times. 

b) because they only want it if realism works in their favour ("can we stop getting overpens in a DD, if a 406mm shell hit's thin armour there has to be a hole that sinks the ship"),

--> Like always, if it works that way, then Warships will be an ultra slow paced game because it takes you DAYS (literally) to cross a map with a large fleet.

Greetings

I don't think it's hard to pin the reason for this one isn't it ? In who's favor will waves be ?

Quality Poster
3,320 posts
8,375 battles
Just now, sisito0o said:

I don't think it's hard to pin the reason for this one isn't it ? In who's favor will waves be ?

Not that this discussion will have any impact on the game but: Battleships would be most favoured by waves....

Greetings

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,770 posts
10,668 battles
1 hour ago, sisito0o said:

I just watched part of Sea Smackdown where this time they decided to compare a real footages with the game which immediately reminded me how far the game is from the real thing. They have added some good textures over it but the behavior of ships is the same like in Super Mario compared to real person, in that aspect the progress is close to none. Will it ever change is the question or we will forever stick to new premium ships and ports or a new collection at most.

The best you can realistically hope for, ever, would be some super graphic settings that would include a bit more waves and make ships sway a bit more - they actually do sway currently, but only a little bit, there are probably some problems with making it more pronounced, whether practical (the problem of shells' point of origin, perhaps) or graphical (the thing simply not looking as well as expected). We'll never see waves REALLY implemented because that would most likely complicate the game (with real waves you would probably have to account for them when aiming and firing, for example) AND make it MUCH more resource-demanding.

It's simply not worth it - the few people that would really enjoy this change don't justify the amount of work needed nor alienation of the chunk of playerbase that would literally not be able to play anymore because their toasters couldn't handle the game that actually simulates the waves.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,176 posts
2,399 battles
2 hours ago, sisito0o said:

which immediately reminded me how far the game is from the real thing. 

DD's that can reload torpedoes in seconds - only IJN could effectively reload at sea, but it took a while.

Gun accuracy where an avg hit rate is about 30%, in real life it was more like 3%.

Battles lasting minutes, instead of hours.

This is a game NOT a simulation.

I gave up worrying about real world mechanics and accuracy months ago. 

[BGNAV]
Players
232 posts
3,238 battles
47 minutes ago, SirBlemmingtonSmythe said:

Old video now but this shows a different approach to the problem of waves.

Exactly, perfect this is how the sea should be. Well it's not actually perfect but it's a good start and a whole lot better than what we have now...

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles
2 hours ago, Allied_Winter said:

Greetings

It's not a question of what you believe in or if we should believe in advertisement. Failgaming boasts on having historical ships and recreating historical battles, but once you're in the game it all goes away. That's not stretching the reality, that's downright misinformation.

Wether realism should be implemented or not isn't the point. I dunno and don't care, I don't play the game anymore. My point was that it's normal for people to expect realism when they're told that there is realism.

Also, I see you have that diseases where you're forced to greet at the end of each post. Don't greet me.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

Without realistic weather and sea effects there can be no epic action/game experience and all we have is a stale representation of surface naval battles. Realism or go home.

• Bad 1

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles

Realism in this game should be omitted only when there is some serious reason for it. Thats my stance and so far (apart from few exceptions) it was this way...regarding waves, i hope we will see them, but as others said, it will require some overhauls and lot of work. But im pretty optimistic about this

• Cool 2

[-TXG-]
Players
2,368 posts
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

It's simply not worth it - the few people that would really enjoy this change don't justify the amount of work needed nor alienation of the chunk of playerbase that would literally not be able to play anymore because their toasters couldn't handle the game that actually simulates the waves.

Added to that, loads of us would be unable to play due to motion sickness :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,535 battles

Pretty sure that would require WG to switch to an entirely different game engine because the current BigWorld engine can't handle something like that.

• Cool 2

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Having a real realistic depiction of ship behaviour is outside of the capabilities of this engine. 

Plus, if they would make it really like reality it would be too difficult for the general person. 

A boat is easy to maneuver, a ship, not so much. 

On top of that, every ship would need different control model. Depending on size, width, number of propellers, location of propellers, number of rudders, location of rudders, shape of the hull, draught, water depth, ship speed, etc etc etc 

Quality Poster
3,320 posts
8,375 battles
2 hours ago, LastButterfly said:

IMy point was that it's normal for people to expect realism when they're told that there is realism.

And I said it isn't. I sure could point out my reasoning for this, but since you don't play the game anymore (why care than what's going on in the forum's I ponder), I'll leave it at: We agree to disagree on that one.

Greetings (except LastButterfly who doesn't want to be greeted)

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,328 battles
2 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Pretty sure that would require WG to switch to an entirely different game engine because the current BigWorld engine can't handle something like that.

It can handle it (and does it in fact, only to a very minor degree). Waves and rough weather aren't implemented in making your ship pitch and roll (although this would be possible). Your ship however does turn around its center of gravity to some point.

It's just so that people feel more comfortable with the controls and do not end up smashing their ships against rocks all over the place.

Other breaks from reality (only mentioning a few, there are a lot more):

• Ships are 2.5 times the original sizes. Yamato is roughly 660m long in game. Ships would be tiny otherwise and your hitrate would plummet.
  • Ships travel at 2.5 times their original speed. In order to not make them look standing still.
  • Shells also fly faster. The actual travel time of Yamato's shells out to 27 km was the better part of a minute while in game it's about 15 seconds. Otherwise you wouldn't hit anything.
  • Ship rudders turn a lot faster too. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to evade anything.
  • Ranges to other ships are 100% exact and do not have to be computed using range finders and radar.
  • You look down on enemy ships at an angle. Even from the tops of the tallest ships, at 20 km distance, you would look flat at the side of the ship.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,076 posts
6,718 battles
5 hours ago, SirBlemmingtonSmythe said:

Old video now but this shows a different approach to the problem of waves.

This video exactly shows why Warthunder Naval Battle will takes forever to release. Look how boring this gameplay is : "aim at someone, hold fire button until it dies". Skill ? Gameplay ? Tactic ? Nothing of the sort, just spam.

Gaijin realized this, they added DDs. Now they are trying to add CLs. And they basically still have no idea how this will develop.

[POP]
Players
315 posts
7,685 battles

Based on that video: One can always imagine that the lolRNG-dispersion is an accurate simulation of wave effects on ammunition ballistics.

Sign in to follow this