Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZandersMcGrooby

Detonation overload

12 comments in this topic

[-RT-]
Players
78 posts
11,001 battles

I played around 20 battles yesterday. I was detonated 4 times. That seems a bit much, no? 

Can someone remind me what the odds are again? 

Now, I'm not against the detonation mechanic per se. Its friggin lol and anything that's lol in the game in worthy of a place I guess.  It just seems its too common? 

I don't even mind it when I get detonated, I can just bugger off and play another ship. But it royally screws up the dynamic of the battle you were detonated in. It is essentially wasting the time of the other guys in the team. For example, in Akizuki game on 2 brothers yesterday, I think I was the only dd, I got spotted within first few minutes and then the first or second shell that hit me caused detonation. The battle is kind of done at that point. 

Wasting the other players time like that is surely not an optimal design, especially in a game like WoW where battles can take 20 mins. 

I'm just not sure how to balance it given I think it *probably* has a space in the game. Maybe lower the detonation chance significantly? 

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,556 battles

Random, you know what this mean?

It could also be 20 from 20 and its still random!

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
729 posts
13,321 battles

You just got unlucky, just like the poor Shima I detonated from full HP in my Conqueror today.

On a more serious note, please keep in mind that there are flags you put on DDs that actually increase the chance of detonation

Still, @MortenTardo can tell you how helpful equipping the Magazine module is :cap_book:

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
17,833 posts
11,758 battles

The detonation chance is not fixed value. It increases by taking damage at the munition areas.

Undamaged ships have a very low chance of detonation.

Players
455 posts
9,987 battles

For example yesterday 2 of 3 members of our division detonated in the same battle within like 5 minutes.

RNG - Fun and engaging - mechanics that allowed enemy Sunday potatoes to live longer.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
1 hour ago, ZandersMcGrooby said:

I played around 20 battles yesterday. I was detonated 4 times. That seems a bit much, no? 

Lets roll a dice (so numbers 1 to 6) 20 times and see what happens...

Oh look, we have 33 / 222 / 22

Also 1 = 4x / 2 = 6x / 3 = 5x / 4 = 1x / 5 = 1x / 6 = 3x

Man, that RNG must have been rigged!

Should I bother reading your post any further? Probably just the typical tin-foil-hat rambling like in all of these threads... Ehh, how bad can it be?

1 hour ago, ZandersMcGrooby said:

Well, surprisingly enough not that bad, you just don't understand how chance works.

Does 99.9999% chance guarantee you that you will get the same thing 2 times in a row? No, it does not. There is a 99.9998% chance that the same thing will happen twice in a row, leaving 0.0002% chance that it won't happen.

Does 0.0001% chance guarantee you won't get the same thing 2 times in a row? No it does not. There is a 0.0000000001% chance it will happen twice in a row, leaving just 99.9999999999% chance it won't happen.

So is it unlikely to detonate 2 times in a row (or 4 times in 20 games)? Yes, it's unlikely. Is it impossible? Far from it.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,386 battles
2 hours ago, ZandersMcGrooby said:

Now, I'm not against the detonation mechanic per se. Its friggin lol and anything that's lol in the game in worthy of a place I guess.  It just seems its too common? 

I don't even mind it when I get detonated, I can just bugger off and play another ship. But it royally screws up the dynamic of the battle you were detonated in. It is essentially wasting the time of the other guys in the team. For example, in Akizuki game on 2 brothers yesterday, I think I was the only dd, I got spotted within first few minutes and then the first or second shell that hit me caused detonation. The battle is kind of done at that point. 

Wasting the other players time like that is surely not an optimal design, especially in a game like WoW where battles can take 20 mins. 

I'm just not sure how to balance it given I think it *probably* has a space in the game. Maybe lower the detonation chance significantly? 

It is annoying if it happens that often, I understand, although it was never much of an issue for me.

Actually in Randoms, I put the flags on that give extra detonation chance (flooding/fire chance) and try to stock up even more anti deto flags for clan wars this way.

If you have a problem that persists with certain ships, I strongly advise you to put the -70% anti detonation module.

Cheers

[HOO]
Players
1,312 posts
2,868 battles
2 hours ago, ZandersMcGrooby said:

Wow 4 in 20 is damned bad luck.

Can I ask what ship(s) you were in ?

And of course there is the obvious response to this post. Use the flags you are awarded after detonating to ensure it doesn't happen to you again - until you run out of the flags, of course!

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,107 posts
27,223 battles

20K+ Games and I cant remember the last time I was detonated, maybe I am just lucky.

The Detonations on my achievements (On mine = 64), is that given or taken? I prefer to be a giver!

[QUAK]
[QUAK]
Beta Tester
627 posts
9,363 battles
31 minutes ago, iJoby said:

20K+ Games and I cant remember the last time I was detonated, maybe I am just lucky.

The Detonations on my achievements (On mine = 64), is that given or taken? I prefer to be a giver!

You get the award when your own ship detonates.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,067 posts
7,531 battles

I played quite a few games over the weekend; two detonations (I think) - both in DDs - one was after I'd lost most of my hit points anyway, and the other was because I'd forgotten to equip anti-detonation flag on that particular ship...

I never seem to be short of the flags, though, to the extent that I can run them on just about every DD - that seems to keep the number of times I explode relatively sensible.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,386 battles
2 hours ago, iJoby said:

As @KS1975 said,the "taker" gets the achievement. :Smile_great:

But statistically you are doing better than me dude,  I have around one third of your games played and have 53 detonation achievements.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this