You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Dragnir666

Bringing Kitakami back - with deepwater torpedos

97 comments in this topic

[S-V-G]
Beta Tester, Players
54 posts
8,741 battles

I just had some idea come to mind, and this is only a WHAT IF ?! so bear with me please:

What if the Kitakami returned - with deepwater torpedos that we got now ...? classify them as 'Long Lance' or whatever for justification reasons,

but this would greatly reduce the teamkill aspect, wouldn't it? which I see as the main reason it ain't got back yet.

That way, it would be played from second line, as it should be, not dangering DD and CA, and still provide her mighty torpedo wall to BB and CV when needed.

Give it some smoke to hold her own or whatever.

What you think?

P.S. screenshot is taken from June 2015. I really miss her.

shot-15.06.23_18.32.14-0461.jpg

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
2,794 posts
11,013 battles

I'd really like to see her in the shop, not necessarily with DW torps tho.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,386 battles

Is the urban myth true? It had a 40 torpedoe salvo? Didnt play the game back then.

Dont know man, I mainly play DDs and not BBs but such a massive torpedoe soup (if they r deep water even worse) will be too much IMO, you can torpedoe flood passages and deny huge map areas.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles

Just reading the title gave me a serious giggle. 

I really don't know what to say.

Given that her gun armament is a grand total of 4x 5.5" (140mm) guns, of which only 3 can be ever trained at any given target in the forward and broadside arc (and none rearward), I think she would be royally screwed if she was engaged by a destroyer or another cruiser. 

The BB/CV only DW torps may not be the best tool for this ship, as a T8 CA/CL (and even most DD's) would simply overpower her with noo difficulty whatsoever. 

[SCRUB]
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
2 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Is the urban myth true? It had a 40 torpedoe salvo? Didnt play the game back then.

Dont know man, I mainly play DDs and not BBs but such a massive torpedoe soup (if they r deep water even worse) will be too much IMO, you can torpedoe flood passages and deny huge map areas.

Yeah. She could put out 20 torps to any one side with 8 quintuple launchers (4 on each side) 

• Cool 1

[S-V-G]
Beta Tester, Players
54 posts
8,741 battles

yes its true, 5 launchers with 4 torps each, on each side. thats 20 torps per side and 40 if you managed to turn around.

the main reason it was removed because it killed more team members than enemies.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Weekend Tester
602 posts
5,879 battles

Kitikami was the archetypical "fun" ship.

You had to endure about 19 games of being insta-deleted, in return for that one game where you got nine torp hits from one salvo.

I think it should be back in the game in its original form. The game needs more eccentric ships.

• Cool 5

Alpha Tester
2,065 posts
2,794 battles

Hmm... yeah, totally unbalanced, loads of torpedoes to drop a massive barrier, but if you got spotted you were as good as dead, paperthin in Tier VIII and nearly no guns

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,386 battles
1 minute ago, piritskenyer said:

Yeah. She could put out 20 torps to any one side with 8 quintuple launchers (4 on each side) 

Wow, sounds like a lot.

If it is pretty weak on almost all other aspects (and from what you say, it sounds like it is) , it could make a return.

The more ship diversity, the better for the game I guess.

• Cool 2

[S-V-G]
Beta Tester, Players
54 posts
8,741 battles
5 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Just reading the title gave me a serious giggle. 

I really don't know what to say.

Given that her gun armament is a grand total of 4x 5.5" (140mm) guns, of which only 3 can be ever trained at any given target in the forward and broadside arc (and none rearward), I think she would be royally screwed if she was engaged by a destroyer or another cruiser. 

The BB/CV only DW torps may not be the best tool for this ship, as a T8 CA/CL (and even most DD's) would simply overpower her with noo difficulty whatsoever. 

as said, it's a "what if" scenario. 

I don't see any other way to bring her back really.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,065 posts
2,794 battles

Imho I wouldn't bring her back at all

It was more of a fun experiment back then.  There were only relatively few players with (mostly) a bigger interest in the game and so on and not the "Ih press bootttoons"-type...

So they'll buy the Kita because of "wooooaaah 40 torps, kill 'em all"...  And after that it's back to reality...  masses of teamkills and all the whining about that crap ship that can't survive a mosquito sting...

[SCRUB]
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
Just now, Kimosabe_X said:

Imho I wouldn't bring her back at all

Do you know what IMHO means? :cap_haloween:

I think that she could actually make a return, as a purely fun ship, with the proposed IJN DW torps she'd be a purely support and support dependent ship. 

[SCRUB]
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
7 minutes ago, Dragnir666 said:

yes its true, 5 launchers with 4 torps each, on each side. thats 20 torps per side and 40 if you managed to turn around.

the main reason it was removed because it killed more team members than enemies.

Oh it was 10 quad launchers? I never had a Kitakami, I thought it was 8 quintuples. Oh well, same broadside, so I guess it's alright. 

Players
2,829 posts
16,682 battles

i hope they never bring it back not with DW

not with nothing!

it is just a ship that breaks the game for some....

THAT ISNT GOOD

PS you cna maybe bring it back in scenarios as special ship for special scenarios but thats it

Alpha Tester
2,065 posts
2,794 battles

@piritskenyer  As far as I know it's "in my honest/humble opinion" !?  So what ?

Edited my statement a bit with reasons, why not

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,650 posts
879 battles

No thanks, that thing should never be brought back.

Maybe if she appeared in an Operation as an AI controlled vessel but Kitakami should never be made available to players again.

Beta Tester
655 posts
4,438 battles

Instead of supporting my opinion with balance, gameplay benefits yadayada... When I see a thread with a title like this, I throw it all out the window.

I'll take the high citadel

I'll take the meh concealment for what is in effect a large DD

I'll take the crappy guns

I'll take it all, so I can division up and launch 120 long lance torpedoes at someone!

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ae04908b1036db9e5a272303cc6da95b.png

Spoiler
Image result for kitakami kancolle

I guess you could always add a poll for the topic:

Bring kitakami back as she was

Bring a tweaked kitakami back

Do not bring Kitakami back (party poopers)

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,095 posts
32 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Wow, sounds like a lot.

If it is pretty weak on almost all other aspects (and from what you say, it sounds like it is) , it could make a return.

The more ship diversity, the better for the game I guess.

If my memory is correct, it's a modified Tenryu..... so yeah..... not that great armor wise :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,312 posts
2,871 battles
32 minutes ago, Dragnir666 said:

I have an image in my head of a triple Kitakami division dropping a 60 torp wall at the BBabies :Smile_hiding:

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
48 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Yep. The Kitakami was essentially a Kuma class light cruiser with most of its armament removed and replaced with torpedo launchers (what the Japanese called a "Torpedo cruiser"). It was all part of a plan to create a night strike force that would open an engagement by launching salvos of torpedoes at an enemy fleet under cover of night. A battle plan based on the IJN experiences during the Russo-Japanese war. In 1942 the Kitakami and the Oi were again changed and converted into fast troop transports. In 1944 she was hit by two torpedoes from the submarine HMS Templar. She was repaired and converted yet again into a Kaiten human torpedo carrier. The Kitakami survived the war and was scrapped in 1947.

https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=70

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
6,314 battles

I would like to see Kitakami back personaly, but there would have to be serioust restrictions on who can get her. 

She could be a ship that can switch between DW torps and regular ones ingame. 

But as i said, serioust restriction on who can skipper her, be it a prior to purchase/aqirement you have some sort of test to take or a skill based filter. 

She got pulled for a reason, today having clueless players with her.... ouch... wouldnt end well, basicly 90% of the time she'd just take a ship slot, meaning the team with her would be playing with one ship less from the start. 

It would be fun though to be able to play her in traning room for the lulz. 

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,556 battles

Sure, bring it back with DW torpedoes and beeing available for gold!

So more noobs can sink own ships because they have no clue how to use torps! :Smile_facepalm:

I have seen so many noobs last days firing their torps from second line at enemys which are far beyond the range of their torps.......

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

I'd really love a chance to play Kitakami. But not with something useless as DW torps, so no. Kitamaki had enough already being a Kuma class at T8. Sure, that ship sunk more allies than enemy and that's why it was removed, but 3 guns with 7'5 seconds reload can't deal reliably at all with any DD at T8, and that's assuming WG would do something like releasing DW torps that only DDs are safe from instead of the BS they're trying to pull on Arashio before trying it on Shima.

Even if everyone, me included wants to try a Kitakami some day I prefer Kitakami being gone as now than being brought back with that crap excuse of torpedos even if it's 40 of them.