Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hayashio

French Premium Destroyer Aigle in Preview

23 comments in this topic

[TSUN]
Community Contributor, Beta Tester
335 posts
6,248 battles

e00ba7a74c.pngAIGLE – a breath of fresh air

All stats of this ship are in their final form and players can expect her to be this way on release!

A bit of background
Like Asashio, she’s the lead ship of her class, and was constructed during the 20s and 30s.
1280px-Toulon_1942.jpgNotable things about the Aigle are the relatively high calibre of 139mm (138.6mm actually) for a destroyer, and large size (above 2,400 tonnes and above 3,000 tonnes under full load). Aigle, and her sister ships – of which there were 5 -, served under Vichy France, until she was scuttled in 1942 to prevent the Germans capturing and using her – Only to be lifted – and later to be again, sunk, in late 1943.

Gameplay

Captain Skills Modifications
a7d08c1fe0.png 11c9996b1a.png

I don't recommend these captain skills, although they work out okay.

As a first French destroyer, Aigle gives a good impression of what the French destroyer tech tree ships might be like. She’s quite large, boasts strong guns with good rate of fire, a solid torpedo armament, and has a very interesting engine boost, allowing her to reach speeds of around 45knots (with the required flags of course).
a staple image of what Aigle gameplay looks likeDid I mention Aigle gets 17000 base HP? Making her the healthiest out of all T6 destroyers.
The Guns on the Aigle are quite punchy. They deal good damage due to their increased calibre and good fire rate.
The torpedoes are on the slow side at 57, but make no mistake, they are still very good. 2 x 3 torpedo tubes with 18400 alpha, 7km range and a 77 second reload. Unsurprisingly, we don’t see any AA on this ship either. We’re running at around 5 DPS at 3.0km and an extra 20 around 1km. She does not have her “historical” 75mm AA gun. Now we come to one of the defining features of the Aigle, the Manoeuvrability. Her Rudder shift is rather bad, at 4.1s. Granted, she is a big boat. The top speed is no joke, however. Don’t be deceived by the 36kn top speed. Aigle receives the improved French engine boost, allowing her to increase her speed by 20% (yes, 20% percent) for the duration of the consumable. Lastly, she has a base detection of 7.5km (with camo), which can be brought down to 6.8km with concealment expert.

As for consumables, Aigle receives the above mentioned improved speed boost, and, uh, not-quite-German smoke that lasts 81 seconds. Whether this is such a bad thing, is up for debate, I know from experience though, that you are not going to do a lot of smoke sitting in this ship.

ConclusionAigle in it's natural habitat

I took out the Aigle, first alone, then I went for a few matches in it together with Aerroon.

To conclude, Aigle performs very well. She has strong armament to engage foes at medium to long range (12.8km base range). Her torpedoes are at a sweet spot where you can use them offensively as well as a defense, and their strong alpha serves deterrent for any rushing BB. If the BB is unaware of that at the time, even better. A very comfortable ship indeed, at no point during the testing did I feel like the ship put me in a position with which I could not deal with.

an Aigle that received an achievement for exemplary conductIt is interesting to see how a little tweak of a single consumable can have such a significant impact on a ship, but it’s not a first. Due to the engine boost tweak, Aigle plays a lot like a stealthy Russian destroyer, not unlike the Leningrad. She’s big, and relies on her superior speed and staying at range to not get hit. She has the flexibility to go in closer if needs be, due to her decent concealment and high amount of hitpoints.
A true breath of fresh air, and a thorough recommendation. This one’s good.

Bonus box of special secret WG features (irony warning)
  1. Aigle gets matchmaking like a carrier. Every match I played in her, I’ve had at least 1 carrier in each team.
  2. Aigle is the perfect ship to farm detonation flags in. Out of the last 7 matches played, 3 ended in detonation.
  3. Playing in the Aigle feels like an action movie since the camera feels so close to the water.

Aerroon has some very good short streams that last 5+ hours, if you're wondering what to until 6 a.m. on a workday.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,711 posts
16,313 battles

So Aigle will be a reward ship..thoughts people?

For me a Free DD is always Nice

• Cool 3

[DREAD]
Players
7,169 posts
5,658 battles
3 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

How do you know? Will it be a campaign ship?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,711 posts
16,313 battles
6 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

watch the damn video...

In his defence I should have linked the video..

@1MajorKoenig Go watch patch release Video. Listen to it and don't just drool at Dasha with the sound turned of....:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 4

Beta Tester
4,524 posts
19,238 battles
55 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

In his defence I should have linked the video..

@1MajorKoenig Go watch patch release Video. Listen to it and don't just drool at Dasha with the sound turned of....:Smile_hiding:

And keep ur hands where I can see them... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

WHAT?! 

*goes ballistic*

[SM0KE]
Players
3,065 posts
7,527 battles
2 hours ago, Gojuadorai said:

watch the damn video...

I do wish WG would stop hiding stuff like this in videos; I would much rather read than plough through something that it is apparently felt requires a young women to make it enticing to view.

</grumpy old git>

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,711 posts
16,313 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I do wish WG would stop hiding stuff like this in videos; I would much rather read than plough through something that it is apparently felt requires a young women to make it enticing to view.

</grumpy old git>

you must be old....

We all know its

#GrumpyOldGit

get with the decade old man :Smile-_tongue::Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[CAIN]
Players
2,792 posts
11,013 battles

I guess this'll save me 25 bucks, although i believe she'll end up in the shop anyways.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,065 posts
7,527 battles
53 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

you must be old....

We all know its

#GrumpyOldGit

get with the decade old man :Smile-_tongue::Smile-_tongue:

I can remember chasing the girls...

I just can't remember why...

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,711 posts
16,313 battles
Just now, Verblonde said:

I can remember chasing the girls...

I just can't remember why...

LOL...  Sir im sure you still cut a Dashing figure on the dance floor with your Zimmer frame......

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,065 posts
7,527 battles
2 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

LOL...  Sir im sure you still cut a Dashing figure on the dance floor with your Zimmer frame......

Dashing? Alas, more like tottering these days...

• Cool 1

Players
2,829 posts
16,679 battles
9 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

If manners make a man 

id still be a better man than you because i inform myself before posting 

[DREAD]
Players
7,169 posts
5,658 battles
10 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

id still be a better man than you because i inform myself before posting 

Good for you.

Anyway - I like the idea of Aigle being a reward ship. Would be interesting if the French DDs will be like her or if she is the odd duck

Players
2,829 posts
16,679 battles
12 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I like the idea of Aigle being a reward ship. Would be interesting if the French DDs will be like her or if she is the odd duck

i dont know too much  about french DD's but what i remember from reading here is that french had 2 concepts for DD's the classical torp boat and the "leader" like the aigle. (please someone correct me if i remember wrong)

so chances are that we might see a line like this depending on WGs choice?

[DREAD]
Players
7,169 posts
5,658 battles
54 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

i dont know too much  about french DD's but what i remember from reading here is that french had 2 concepts for DD's the classical torp boat and the "leader" like the aigle. (please someone correct me if i remember wrong)

so chances are that we might see a line like this depending on WGs choice?

Yes, I think I read the same. A lot of nations applied such concept so eventually I guess we might even see two DD lines for some nations. WG indicated before they would like to go that way with the Russian DDs as well - not sure how that matches with the first split. Certainly Russia, UK and France applied this concept. Germany used mostly small Torpedoboots (whereas the KM later did wanky stuff with changing that doctrine into deploying relatively unbalanced ships as DDs) and the IJN used cruisers as DD leaders as far as I know.

So yea, I’m somewhat curious how Aigle plays out

• Cool 1

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
1,817 posts
6,080 battles

Speaking of the interwar period:

the French build 3 classes of "normal" destroyers (size around 1500ts, 105m Long) in total 34

beginning with them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourrasque-class_destroyer

and 6 classes of the huge destroyers (around 2500ts, 130m Long) in total 32

beginning with them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacal-class_destroyer

i dont think there will be a need for two DD lines IMHO

• Cool 1

Players
3,772 posts
7,464 battles
4 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Good for you.

Anyway - I like the idea of Aigle being a reward ship. Would be interesting if the French DDs will be like her or if she is the odd duck

680 m turning circle at 36 knots, so not especially fast and handles like a battleship - no thanks.

WG seem to be making all new DD as big easy to hit targets for BB to pew-pew at so I hope we have a very long time to wait before the RN or any other interesting line turns up.

[LEGIO]
Players
599 posts
8,039 battles
On 2/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, 1MajorKoenig said:

Yes, I think I read the same. A lot of nations applied such concept so eventually I guess we might even see two DD lines for some nations. WG indicated before they would like to go that way with the Russian DDs as well - not sure how that matches with the first split. Certainly Russia, UK and France applied this concept. Germany used mostly small Torpedoboots (whereas the KM later did wanky stuff with changing that doctrine into deploying relatively unbalanced ships as DDs) and the IJN used cruisers as DD leaders as far as I know.

So yea, I’m somewhat curious how Aigle plays out

I really like the Aigle. Torpedoes are hard hitting like hell. But kinda short ranged. But the guns. They are really good. Build her on full gunship setup and you will really love it :D 

• Cool 1

[TSUN]
Community Contributor, Beta Tester
335 posts
6,248 battles
On 2/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, T0byJug said:

I am very happy that WG is willing to give away this very fun little ship for free.

Sign in to follow this