Carrier career

22 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
302 battles

It shouldn't be much of a surprise that a player who prefers to play

artillery above all other things in World of Tanks would choose to

play nothing but Carriers when he joins World of Warships. So, here

I am and I need advice on how to proceed with my Carrier career.

I won't ask for technical details on how to play Carriers, it's all down

to practice, trial and error, but as a newcomer I do need advice when

it comes to which Carriers should I keep.

It's a given that I will be keeping both tier4 carriers, as well as the tier10

when I reach them, but what about the others? Are all of the Carriers

equally competent for their tier, and if not which ones are the keepers?
Should I limit myself to the 10 slots I have on my account and pick among

them, or should I invest into more slots to collect them all?

Thanks in advance :)

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,022 battles

There are some missions that give additional port slots, so if you just want CVs, it won't be necessary to buy more.

My personal favourite CVs are Independence (US Tier 6), Shokaku (IJN Tier 8) and both Tier 9 and Tier 10 CVs. I wouldn't keep the Tier 4s as they can only use autodrops. Manual drops start at Tier 6 and they are the real fun in playing CVs. On Tier 4 and 5 it's just some point&click without much fun or needed skill.

PS: if you really want to invest, don't get port slots. Buy a premium CV instead (Saipan, Kaga or Enterprise). Though you should get enough experience on normal CVs before using them ^^

[SM0KE]
Players
3,009 posts
7,202 battles

I'm still learning how to play CVs, so I suck at them. Something I would suggest though, is at least having a go with some of the other classes - I've found it helpful when trying to get the hang of CVs to know what the other classes can do.

Players
12 posts
302 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Something I would suggest though, is at least having a go with some of the other classes - I've found it helpful when trying to get the hang of CVs to know what the other classes can do.

Jingles & company have that covered with their reviews, and to be honest, I'm

having serious difficulties keeping up with other players in other ships.

Another question I forgot to ask was how do the American and Japanese Carriers

differ, from what I've heard the American ones are the ones to play if I'm interested

in keeping air superiority while the Japanese are better off as damage-dealers.

True or false?

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,022 battles

Yes, they do differ.

US CVs have less squads but with more planes in each.

They are better for air superiority on Tiers 4-6 and 9-10.

On Tier 7 and 8 the IJN CVs are better because they have two fighter squads and US CVs only one.

About the damage: US CVs can do high damage to big targets (battleships) while IJN CVs are more versatile and can target small ships as well because they can cross drop with multiple torpedo bomber squads.

Midway gains that ability as well and is currently probably the strongest CV in Random.

Players
749 posts
8,281 battles

something to remember is that the ALT attacks (aka manual drops/strafes) do not work for T4/5 cvs. they only become available at T6. wg brought this in supposedly to stop seal clubbing but just makes T6 a nightmarishly steep learning curve when you meet people who can do other things than just left click on a target.

my IJN cv is at T6 and my USN cv is T7. T6 was probably the tier I've enjoyed most so far althou I did get to play T4/5 when you could ALT drop and that was great fun.

Players
12 posts
302 battles
32 minutes ago, ShuggieHamster said:

something to remember is that the ALT attacks (aka manual drops/strafes) do not work for T4/5 cvs. they only become available at T6. wg brought this in supposedly to stop seal clubbing but just makes T6 a nightmarishly steep learning curve when you meet people who can do other things than just left click on a target.

my IJN cv is at T6 and my USN cv is T7. T6 was probably the tier I've enjoyed most so far althou I did get to play T4/5 when you could ALT drop and that was great fun.

I did some research before starting up and I see there has been an uproar

about the removal of manual drop on lower tiers, and supposed rumors it

would be removed altogether some time in the future. But, one thing at a

time, as I climb the tiers I'll get to it eventually. I'm not  worried about the

learning curve since focusing on Co-op gives me time to practice, since it

provides 3-4 times lower exp per victory compared to the Random battles,

on average.

I've decided that, as a Carrier player, it would be rather... stupid... of me to

engage in Random battles without my ship being fully upgraded and outfitted,

since that effectively gives the enemy team an advantage right off the start.

So, as far as I'm able to conclude by comparing the ships, and your feedback,

the best thing for me would be to keep the tier4, 6, 8 and 10 Carriers and grab

the premiums if I ever decide to invest in the game, right?

... while we're at it, during my research I stumbled upon the German premium

Carrier, but it isn't listed in the German tier branch. Does this mean the Germans

will eventually get a Carrier line too?

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,022 battles
Vor 11 Minuten, ArgentHellion sagte:

... while we're at it, during my research I stumbled upon the German premium

Carrier, but it isn't listed in the German tier branch. Does this mean the Germans

will eventually get a Carrier line too?

Nope, only one premium carrier that is currently in testing phase.

Search the Forum for "Graf Zeppelin" if you want to know more ^^

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,609 posts
15,326 battles

Honestly the best advice to give for an aspiring CV player?

Play all other classes as well.

This will ensure that you know about the different habits, behaviors and playstyles all other classes offer. This is key in CV play as you will then know how to adjust your play according to any given situation. It also helps with knowing which ships you can attack and which you should rather avoid.

You can technically speaking learn that while only playing CVs but it's much more effective when you personally know how to play all other classes, too.

• Cool 1

Players
749 posts
8,281 battles
11 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Honestly the best advice to give for an aspiring CV player?

Play all other classes as well.

This will ensure that you know about the different habits, behaviors and playstyles all other classes offer. This is key in CV play as you will then know how to adjust your play according to any given situation. It also helps with knowing which ships you can attack and which you should rather avoid.

You can technically speaking learn that while only playing CVs but it's much more effective when you personally know how to play all other classes, too.

I came at it the other way ... learned cvs to get their weaknesses as they were wacking my other ships (learned to BB before that as they were wacking my cruisers) so this is good advice. know other classes weaknesses so you can exploit them.

Players
749 posts
8,281 battles
11 hours ago, ArgentHellion said:

I did some research before starting up and I see there has been an uproar

about the removal of manual drop on lower tiers, and supposed rumors it

would be removed altogether some time in the future. But, one thing at a

time, as I climb the tiers I'll get to it eventually. I'm not  worried about the

learning curve since focusing on Co-op gives me time to practice, since it

provides 3-4 times lower exp per victory compared to the Random battles,

on average.

I've decided that, as a Carrier player, it would be rather... stupid... of me to

engage in Random battles without my ship being fully upgraded and outfitted,

since that effectively gives the enemy team an advantage right off the start.

So, as far as I'm able to conclude by comparing the ships, and your feedback,

the best thing for me would be to keep the tier4, 6, 8 and 10 Carriers and grab

the premiums if I ever decide to invest in the game, right?

Coop is good for practice ... and its mostly stress free. We as cv drivers come in for a lot of abuse. we have limited resources, cant be everywhere and have an enemy cv's planes to deal with let alone get our own strikes in but most botes players are selfish and think you should be their guardian angel. Mostly just ignore the ret@rds. I usually let the team know where I'll be operating and if someone goes off alone I warn them (if I notice) that I cant protect them.

Outfitting is another good use of coop. while you learn to handle the new set ups - more planes = Much much more micro management (microing) - you upgrade. I do fighters first then the ship IF it upgrades plane capacity otherwise the other planes THEN the ship.

Captain skills are usually pretty straight forward ... http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0001000000010000001000000001000010 BUT not everyone agrees about torpedo acceleration.

I could type out lots of notes but here is fara of omni - one of THE best cv drivers in the game with his cv guides.... https://www.youtube.com/user/farazelleth/playlists

He is THAT DAMN GOOD so listen to him. You dont always have to agree but he's def the starting point while you get your own style sorted out.

He has one set of guides for IJN cvs, one for USN and one for premiums. ps He cant help being scottish so apologies for my countryman's accent if its a struggle! :Smile-_tongue:

keep the ships you enjoy and dont worry too much about the premiums -the kaga is a strike monster, the saipan a Air superiority beast and the graf zep is still broken months after they released it for purchase ( one of out pitchfork moment there!)

so welcome to botes, hope you enjoy playing the cv and if I see you in game I'll give you a wave :Smile_playing:

• Cool 2

Players
12 posts
302 battles

Only five Random battles in with my Langley and I can already tell why so little

players are playing Carriers, and how prevalent the seal-clubbing problem is.

My first battle was a single mirror match, so it was fun, but the remaining four

were sheer frustration. I did end up winning all of the battles, but that was 

thanks to the team and not to my own contribution, I was just lucky to be on

the winning side.

In two of those frustrating battles I was the only carrier in the team and I was

pitted against a Hosho, who somehow manages to kill my (fully-upgraded) fighters

in a straight fight, and their torpedo bombers wiped out my second wave without

themselves being actually killed, so I ended up having to avoid the enemy fighters

for the whole game, despite the fact I'm supposed to be the air-dominant Carrier.

Once is a mere accident, twice is already a pattern. In the other two battles with

two carriers per team  (one of them with an upper tier) both carrier players simply

banded together and neutered me as soon as they detected me. It's fair to say my

team-mates were to blame for this more than myself for not  paying attention,

ESPECIALLY my Carrier team-mate, despite the fact I was screaming for help

pretty much the whole game... and broke my headset when it happened the

second time in the absolutely same manner. Yet another pattern.

This experience leads me to believe that MOST players I will end up encountering

will have their Carriers with a fully-upgraded ship and a moderately, if not fully-trained

Captain as well, so I'll be pretty much always at a disadvantage. That's the note I have

to move on by, until I fully-upgrade everything I have to cower behind my team and

never again take initiative... rather depressive, wouldn't you say?

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,022 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, ArgentHellion sagte:

I was

pitted against a Hosho, who somehow manages to kill my (fully-upgraded) fighters

in a straight fight, and their torpedo bombers wiped out my second wave without

themselves being actually killed

I don't really think it was just the enemy planes that killed your planes in this case. There was probably some ship with good AA close to them.

Remember that AA-range can be up to 7.2km (in higher tiers up to 8.6km) if specced, so you have to be really careful where to pick your fights.

If you want to know for sure, go to the third screen of the after battle report and mouseover here:
5a825ba422.png(sry for german interface :D)

The game will tell you what killed your planes.

Vor 1 Stunde, ArgentHellion sagte:

This experience leads me to believe that MOST players I will end up encountering

will have their Carriers with a fully-upgraded ship and a moderately, if not fully-trained

Captain as well, so I'll be pretty much always at a disadvantage. That's the note I have

to move on by, until I fully-upgrade everything I have to cower behind my team and

never again take initiative... rather depressive, wouldn't you say?

That's true, unfortunately. Carriers have the hardest start in the game, but if you survive that, it can only get better ^^

You may need your own division with AA-specced ships to get an advantage :cap_rambo:

Players
12 posts
302 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

I don't really think it was just the enemy planes that killed your planes in this case. There was probably some ship with good AA close to them.

Remember that AA-range can be up to 7.2km (in higher tiers up to 8.6km) if specced, so you have to be really careful where to pick your fights.

I'll check the info, but I doubt that's the main source of the issue. Games with bots have provided me

with the crucial lesson that it's generally a bad idea to pick a fight around ANY enemy ship, regardless

of its AA capability, and vice versa.

[ESPA]
Players
1,205 posts
6,958 battles

I really ENJOY playing with Zuiho, despite having a Hakuryu. It's fast, low concealement, good armament and planes.

I't s a good idea to follow the fleet and get as close to the main battle as possible.

Players
12 posts
302 battles
58 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

I really ENJOY playing with Zuiho, despite having a Hakuryu. It's fast, low concealement, good armament and planes.

I't s a good idea to follow the fleet and get as close to the main battle as possible.

I thought tier5 is the worst tier for the Carriers to play, given you can end up in a

double-carrier battle against tier6 Carriers who have manual drop as the ultimate

advantage... right?

[ESPA]
Players
1,205 posts
6,958 battles

As a matter of fact yes, but in my experience (and believe me, I have alot on the Zuiho) that happens really few times. Like 1 out of 7 - 10 battles or so. And even soI meet few tier 6 carriers which actually knows how to properly do strafes or so.
Sometimes I managed to defeat Ryujo´s AS with my Zuiho. Like on this replay: https://replayswows.com/replay/15183#stats

Players
12 posts
302 battles

Nice replay :)

So, I've just made my way up to tier5 and I'm in a bit of a pickle. Due to being my first win of the day,

and due to the multipliers, and due to a having a great game, I got just over 2000 exp left on the Langley

when I switched to the Bogue. Since the Langley is fully researched and upgraded, is there a way for me

to use the excess exp gain to boost my captain rather than rack ship exp I won't be able to use without

having to pay doubloons?

In World of Tanks you can pick to accelerate crew training once your tank is elited, so the tank exp

is spent on the crew without having to pay any currency for it. Is there a similar mechanic in World

of Warships or am I going to HAVE to invest in the game if I intend to run elited ships on a regular

basis?

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,022 battles
Vor 52 Minuten, ArgentHellion sagte:

In World of Tanks you can pick to accelerate crew training once your tank is elited, so the tank exp

is spent on the crew without having to pay any currency for it. Is there a similar mechanic in World

of Warships

Nope.

If you want to use that XP from an Elite ship, you will have to use dubloons.

But 2k isn't much anyway, that won't help your captain ^^

Players
12 posts
302 battles
3 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Nope.

If you want to use that XP from an Elite ship, you will have to use dubloons.

But 2k isn't much anyway, that won't help your captain ^^

So you're telling me that playing elite ships isn't nearly as beneficial as playing

elite tanks? So unless I decide to invest and convert that exp, that ship exp is

just a useless resource?

Players
749 posts
8,281 battles

wait for some of the events where we get temporary use of a 19pt captain.

any xp earned with that captain them becomes elite captain points that you can use to boost your normal captains. the dunkirk operation gave us a 19pt captain for a while and the halloween missions gave us more. doing the ops lots of times earned me about 220k free captain xp which I used to boost my captains or hurry alone training.

not sure what the next mission that will gift us a 19pt captain will be... mibi april fools event?