Turin7

Mogami 155 vs 203

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles

Hello fellow cruiser skippers,

So, I have just unlocked the Mogami and wanted to see if there was any up to date consensus on which gun configuration is better.

I enjoyed my time with the Aoba and especially the Myoko so I wouldn't mind continuing on the same vein in the Mogami, plus I could use the same captain.

However, it seems the Mogami is a bit too squish for a traditional heavy cruiser role? The 155's seem to be quite competitive with IFHE and can be a real terror for DD's.

Your thoughts?

Players
763 posts
3,895 battles

155s all the way! With the recent buffs to their Gun traverse speed, theyre even better and IFHE Is a good choice with them too But Im not sure whether youll set a whole lotta fires but the amount of shells and reload rate should help (Maybe) :Smile_honoring:

[IDDQD]
Weekend Tester
920 posts
8,067 battles

Mogami with 155mm is the beast! It depends on playstyle and skill of player. Good player gains awesome results with 155mm guns.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,068 battles

If you keep the captain on the Mogami: Take 155s and skill IFHE. (That skill is a must-have in this case.)

If the captain will continue his career on Ibuki, take 203s and of course don't use IFHE.

• Cool 4

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,068 battles
Vor 37 Minuten, aidenthedestroyer sagte:

But Im not sure whether youll set a whole lotta fires

Yes, even with IFHE the fire quota is still pretty good.

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
760 posts

I rebought her. I use the 155mm and I have no IFHE. Don`t feel I need it. The HE hurts and sets alot of fires. So damage is racked up quickly.

But IFHE is still a wise choice. I just didn`t bother reskilling my captain.......yet.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
760 posts
16 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Yes, even with IFHE the fire quota is still pretty good.

1 question to u good sir.

Before and after IFHE skilled captain. How much did u raw hp damage go up?

Some or purdy good?

This is me asking u....no need for data or anything. Just wondering.

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles

Thanks for the advice everyone, had an inkling that the 155's are were this ship truly shines. Wouldn't mind dedicating a captain to her either as I generally prefer keeping high tier ships :Smile_honoring:

Now off to set some (a lot) fires and bully DD's  :cap_haloween:

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,068 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, siramra sagte:

1 question to u good sir.

Before and after IFHE skilled captain. How much did u raw hp damage go up?

Some or purdy good?

This is me asking u....no need for data or anything. Just wondering.

Hard question, cause I never played her without IFHE ^^

But I do remember that my Belfast damage went up a lot with IFHE and that's nearly the same calibre.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,928 posts
7,250 battles

Without IFHE your shells with shatter against armor with 26 mm and higher, with IFHE you're able to pen armor until  33 mm thick armor.

Battleships

-You can penetrate the bow of all the battleships, that's always nice, when those ships are moving towards you.

Some T8 Cruisers

-Hipper has a belt, bow and stern armor of 27 mm, with IFHE you can do dmg, without 0 dmg.

-Edinbourgh, New Orleans, Tschapaew would be no difference with or without

-Mogami has a upper belt armor with 30mm, you can pen that only with IFHE

Higher T Cruisers

-Baltimore and Des Moines have 27 mm belt, bow and stern armor, you do only dmg with IFHE

-Roon and Hindenburg have a belt armor between 27 and 30 mm

-Zao has a 30mm belt armor, also only with IFHE pen-able

There are a few T8 without any effect, but I would still take IFHE for a light cruiser Mogami, because all the higher Tier cruiser will take dmg. I mean how many shells will hit the side hull instead of the superstructe of a cruiser? Guess there are many shells hitting

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles

155 HE spam Mogami is a good ship. If you have a high enough trained cpt, yoz can have CE, IFHE and DE, which will make the ship very nasty against most targets you meet. With 15 shells every 10 seconds, if you can aim, you can expect to set a fire every second salvo. Your HE pen with IFHE will be just fine against most BB decks (bar German), and on the top hull you'll have enough maneuverability to stay out of trouble if need be. 

If you carry hydro, you can also be a nightnare to DD cpts who think they are safe in smoke. 

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
760 posts
12 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Hard question, cause I never played her without IFHE ^^

But I do remember that my Belfast damage went up a lot with IFHE and that's nearly the same calibre.

Well, yeah.....I dod and reskilled captain. Angled Hipper just went poop....4 and 6k salvos at him. He was hopelessly trying to angle too. Consumed a tier 8 baguette after. Yeah. I`d say IFHE here.

Set a few nice fires too. Got demo on captain too......and flags. Yeah....don`t hate me. Lol

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,927 posts
7,915 battles

155s every time. even if you dont have IFHE using 155 is better against most other targets. It can still pen 25mm even without IFHE so if you meet tier 6-7 BBs or tier 8-9 cruisers you can chew through them regardless

• Cool 1

Players
100 posts
12,630 battles

155mm if you go with a dedicated IFHE captain (or plan to respec him). It gives so much alpha dmg.

personally with turret traverse buffs (before those 155mm would rotate like its yamato guns) its quite ok for me even without IFHE.

Besides it offers a different playstyle on IJN line. (i mean you could have myoko/atago/takao/ibuki on that kind of setup).

Careful though. This ship gets citadeled from everywhere, so you kinda play like USN cruisers. You might also want to try rudershift module if you are good at dodging stealth is already good. (you would miss the dispersion debuf from concealment module though but at 14km+ you can evade most shells)

[ADRIA]
Players
573 posts
12,337 battles

155 when fighting ships of same/lower tier

203 when fighting ships of higher tier

Considering you can't know where you'll end up when queuing for random match, it's up you. I found 155s with IFHE to be a lot of fun, used it in ranked this season a lot. 

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,928 posts
7,250 battles
17 hours ago, quickr said:

155 when fighting ships of same/lower tier

203 when fighting ships of higher tier

Considering you can't know where you'll end up when queuing for random match, it's up you. I found 155s with IFHE to be a lot of fun, used it in ranked this season a lot. 

When you don't get deleted :cap_fainting:

btw, with IFHE the 155 mm is pretty good against high tiers

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
157 posts
8,751 battles

Go for 155 because it's unique, and used to be most guns in game till French T7 BB.

I played with 155s even when the turret traverse nerf was active.