You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DFens_666

Maptrick doesnt work anymore?

57 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles

So i heard Flamu say yesterday, that on PTS the Maptrick (pressing M consecutively to look behind Islands f.e.) doesnt work anymore, since it somehow instantly puts u in the Map view.

Is this going to stay? @MrConway@Tuccy ?

I think its horrible, once again removing Skill from the game. Island huggers dont need to be safer - if someone knows how to use this, let them have it pls...

Would have rather posted in Q&A but somehow doesnt seem to be that active, and i think ppl should know this.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,068 battles
Vor 27 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

I think its horrible, once again removing Skill from the game.

Not really. If you have skill you don't even need that little trick. You can tell by the position of the player's name where his ship is :cap_look:

I think it's a good thing that WG decided to get rid of this exploit.

• Cool 6

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,294 posts

While useful, I think it is borderline an exploit...

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,410 posts
14,619 battles

31 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

once again removing Skill from the game

How is pressing M twice considered "SKILL"?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Sailing Hamster
335 posts
5,362 battles
28 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

the Maptrick (pressing M consecutively to look behind Islands) doesnt work anymore [...] I think its horrible, once again removing Skill from the game

are you serious? this is skill? this "skill" was never intended to be used for that so it's more like clever use of game mechanics or shorter... exploit, cheat.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
9 minutes ago, JapLance said:

How is pressing M twice considered "SKILL"?

2 minutes ago, daniyyel said:

are you serious? this is skill? this "skill" was never intended to be used for that so it's more like clever use of game mechanics or shorter... exploit, cheat.

->

4 minutes ago, Migulaitor said:

But the X on the minimap is not considered a cheat :Smile_popcorn:

Good point, i wanted to mention that, but forgot it then.

Also sitting behind an island is "skill"?

12 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Not really. If you have skill you don't even need that little trick. You can tell by the position of the player's name where his ship is :cap_look:

Or lets force ppl to use the X on the minimap, which requires even less skill. I think it was good to punish Island campers...

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,068 battles
Vor 13 Minuten, Migulaitor sagte:

So WG shouldn't fix anything because there is still another problem anywhere?

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
Just now, Commander_Cornflakes said:

I dont think they will fix the X on the minimap, since they made a statement about unwanted "mods" after the X was introduced into the official modpack. And since official modpack is good and safe u to use, i dont see them removing it....

Players
4,085 posts
7,017 battles
16 minutes ago, daniyyel said:

Umm... you need to understand, what a cheat is I guess...

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

Removing this and letting the X on the minimap just gives more advantage to people using mods.

Btw, is the mod showing the enemy angles and speed considered a cheat or its legal?

9 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Yep it is, you need to pick a good island, get there alive, then be able to hit with your catapults and be aware of your surrounding. (Talking about Atlanta/DM on agressive islands)

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,365 posts
10,845 battles

More like WG should work on their priorities.

Same as the recent division window change. Came totally out of the blue with no discernable necessity for it, just a change for change's sake and one that arguably is worse than the iteration they had beforehand (which also got implemented without any testing for feedback unless no one on PTS tried to play in a division) ...

Same as the "we're not going to introduce any more premium CVs until after the CV rework" and then introduced the Kaga, the Enterprise and disastrously rushed the Graf Zeppelin into the premium shop long before it was ready just to sell something in time for GamesCom and then had to withdraw it because it was royally FUBARed. Oh and apparently the year of the CV stuff wasn't a thing too and the CV rework has been postponed despite WG's word on not selling premium CVs until after they've been reworked ...

Or how WG has been trying (allegedly) to adress the BB overpopulation after the release of the german BB line pushed the BB popularity into problematic territory, only to then release the RN BB line and a handful premium BBs ...

It's save to say that WG is showing a clear pattern of having HORRIBLE development priorities.

If WG should fix something, it's their own development process first and foremost.

• Cool 5

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
1 minute ago, Migulaitor said:

Removing this and letting the X on the minimap just gives more advantage to people using mods.

Btw, is the mod showing the enemy angles and speed considered a cheat or its legal?

Isnt the angle mod also in the official Modpack? Yes, just checked, its in there. Speed however, is new to me, i think thats something unwanted. Also not in the modpack.

Oh for all the negative nancies: U can just the maptrick for other stuff too, but i guess u dont consider it to be usefull... which doensnt involve SHOOTING anyone!

Just thinking if i should reveal it or not :cap_old:

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,078 posts
6,135 battles
26 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I think it was good to punish Island campers...

Ok so pop quiz then since you dont like people hiding behind islands;

You're in a new orleans, or any other tier 8 cruiser.

The enemy has 5 BB which can fire between 20-26km.

You can only fire 15-16km.

At 15km lots of the battleships you meet are accurate enough to hit you easily.

You have no smoke to conceal yourself.

You dont have armour to angle against Bb shells

You dont have turtle back or anything so you can be citadelled from any angle

You dont have heal.

At 15km the shell flight time for battleships is so short you wont be able to dodge

Over 15km the dispersion of shells makes dodging a gamble because of rogue shells which can citadel you through your deck.

Without using islands then, how do you propose the above cruiser survive and contributes in a useful way to the match?

I consider myself to be a semi reasonably competent cruiser captain, and islands, forward positions, shell arcs and managing both my own detection and enemy detection, along with knowing when to move to avoid being overrun all feature heavily in my cruiser gameplay style so I'd be interested to see your view of skillful cruiser gameplay

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
1 minute ago, Xevious_Red said:

Without using islands then, how do you propose the above cruiser survive and contributes in a useful way to the match?

I consider myself to be a semi reasonably competent cruiser captain, and islands, forward positions, shell arcs and managing both my own detection and enemy detection, along with knowing when to move to avoid being overrun all feature heavily in my cruiser gameplay style so I'd be interested to see your view of skillful cruiser gameplay

its not about if i like it or not. Its just a way to shoot at them. Also BBs sit behind Islands aswell, so i can punish them too. Stationary Cruiser at an Island is far easier to hit than a moving object behind an Island, maybe Island camper wasnt the right word for it, to that i can admit.

Also Cruisers having to hide behind Islands doesnt have anything to do with checking the location with the maptrick - Its about BB overpopulation which makes Cruisers do that. if there were 3 BBs max per side, with more Cruisers u wouldnt need to hug the Island with squishy cruisers.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,496 posts
11,671 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Then they should get rid of that 'X on the minimap'-mod as well.

Why remove something from vanilla if you're going to keep something worse (imo) in the official mod pack..

::edit::

Just to clarify; idc if they remove it from vanilla, as long as they also remove those stupid crap from the mod pack.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,186 posts
12,589 battles
1 hour ago, Migulaitor said:

Of course not. baBBies need to know how to anihilate destroyer or cruiser stealing their precious hitpoints, when creatively using terrain obstacles to mess with their aim... Thus X on Minimap is absolutely in line with politics of making baBBies happy. After all you don't want them to drown everyone with their bratty tears...

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
3 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Of course not. baBBies need to know how to anihilate destroyer or cruiser stealing their precious hitpoints, when creatively using terrain obstacles to mess with their aim... Thus X on Minimap is absolutely in line with politics of making baBBies happy. After all you don't want them to drown everyone with their bratty tears...

Reminds me of a Yamato lately, who kept shooting at the position where i was last spotted (neptune smoke) - even when i was firing from a different location / not firing at all! U know how he got rewarded? By a stray shell hitting me at some point detonating me :cap_like:

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Or lets force ppl to use the X on the minimap, which requires even less skill. I think it was good to punish Island campers...

Placing yourself correctly behind islands is skill. Too close and you can't shoot over; too far and you lose some of the protection of the island. It doesn't take a lot of practice to get good at it though.

That said, using the map trick may be an exploit of current game mechanics, but I don't think it's in any way harmful for the game. So it's not something that needs to be removed. On the other hand, removing the time it takes to bring up the map could also be considered a UI upgrade. And the game severely needs those, though this one is certainly of low priority. Not sure if CV captains feel the same way though.

The X on the minimap should either be banned or put in the vanilla game.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

Wasn't it fixed already? I know you couldn't do it when this PTS was launched, but I think you can do now again.

And even if it's removed - Ctrl+Shift+Backspace -> Numpad7 -> scroll to zoom in -> Ctrl+Shift+Backspace

Not quite as quick, but lets you to see more accurately

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
3 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

The X on the minimap should either be banned or put in the vanilla game.

So you want more people to use it? It should simply be banned, no "or"s

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles
3 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

So you want more people to use it? It should simply be banned, no "or"s

I'm neutral to it existing in the game. I just want to level the playingfield. Mods shouldn't offer such an advantage. So yes, there is an "or".

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
15 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Wasn't it fixed already? I know you couldn't do it when this PTS was launched, but I think you can do now again.

Oh good to hear. I heard it yesterday, so must have happened today then i guess.

Players
4,085 posts
7,017 battles
12 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

Mods shouldn't offer such an advantage.

Mods that offer an advantage arent mods - they are cheats :) By definition, a mod can never be something, that offers you an advantage.