You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
majogl

Give french BBs an alternative to Speed Boost consumable

45 comments in this topic

[WGP2L]
Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,108 battles

Hey there. So i've been playing the french BB Alsace on the test server, and also watched a lot of footage of the ships. This topic concerns only the ships from T8+

So I think everyone will agree that speedboost is probably the most useless consumable a BB could have (unless they gave the Yamato a torpedo reload booster). What i'm thinking, give us some alternatives to the speed boost, such as Defensive AA or possibly Hydro. I think making the french BB line focused a bit more on AA would be a step in the right direction, since their secondaries are already pretty powerful. (or possibly a new mechanic instead of the speed boost, that would accelerate  the cooldowns on damage control and repair)

Anyway this is just off the top of my head. What do you guys think?

• Bad 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,177 posts
5,048 battles

The problem is that at the current time, any consumable is more interesting than Speed Boost on a BB, so that would very soon mean that Speed Boost is not the gimmick of the line ...

[WGP2L]
Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,108 battles

Well thats all right. The only reason they are making the speedboost the gimick of the line is that some exec pointed a finger at it and decided, "ok we're doing this".. I can think of literally no other way how this idea was concieved.

I mean it would make much more sense, since we already have a line of BBs with hydro, to make the next BB line with AA cooldown, since because those are usually paired together and also because planes are so often the bane of battleships. Doesn't that make more sense?

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

Let them put Speed Boost onf the French. They'll run out of options that way in that uncapability of them of making new ship lines without gimmicks.

That way next things we'll enjoy will be BBs with Defensive AA and Radar outside of Hood and Missouri. Thn no one will complaing about new BBs having an uninteresting consumable. :Smile_trollface:

[WGP2L]
Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,108 battles

Thing is, the french BB line is likely the last one (unless they do italian). I really doubt there will be russian or pan asian battleships.

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,556 battles
13 minutes ago, majogl said:

Thing is, the french BB line is likely the last one (unless they do italian). I really doubt there will be russian or pan asian battleships.

Italian?

[WGP2L]
Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,108 battles
1 minute ago, Arakus said:

Italian?

Well they already have two. It's not beyond WG to "fill in the gaps" with "obscure paper ships" that might well have been doodles musollini made on the back of his napkin... Oh you know what im talking about.

Players
910 posts
11,126 battles

I feel like new battleships as of lately are usually good enough even without the gimmicks. No citadel, insane AA, et cetera - does every battleship really need a consumable too?

I mean, they have it already, it's called "repair party".

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles

No more BBs with Cruiser consumables, its bad enough already. I agree, that speedboost is pretty... uninspiring. But we dont need more BBs with Hydro, and i definetely dont think we need BBs with DefAA. Crazy AA BBs are bad enough already, but DefAA would put it over the top. BBs with good AA can be dropped by CV, but with DefAA panic mode they become pretty much immune to CVs then.

39 minutes ago, majogl said:

that would accelerate  the cooldowns on damage control and repair

Basicly we have cptn skills for that already. So not sure if that would be a desirable consumable, or balanced at all, when combined with the cptn skills.

35 minutes ago, majogl said:

I can think of literally no other way how this idea was concieved

Well, looking at French Cruisers i think thats why? Same with the Aigle who will come soon, and gets a better speedboost with 45 kts topspeed then :cap_fainting:

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,110 posts
7,533 battles

Just give them additional Radar, as Radar is beloved by the playerbase. A new BB-line with speedboost and radar could continue the powercreep design of that game.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,853 battles
25 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Just give them additional Radar, as Radar is beloved by the playerbase. A new BB-line with speedboost and radar could continue the powercreep design of that game.

Or just a "destroy enemy ships withing 7 km" button that would nuke enemy ships near her visible or not. Would be totally fun and balanced too! :D

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,110 posts
7,533 battles

We are still waiting for the first BB with cruise missiles. But I guess that feature WG will save for the russian/soviet BB-line!

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,118 posts
10,575 battles
1 hour ago, majogl said:

Hey there. So i've been playing the french BB Alsace on the test server, and also watched a lot of footage of the ships. This topic concerns only the ships from T8+

So I think everyone will agree that speedboost is probably the most useless consumable a BB could have (unless they gave the Yamato a torpedo reload booster). What i'm thinking, give us some alternatives to the speed boost, such as Defensive AA or possibly Hydro. I think making the french BB line focused a bit more on AA would be a step in the right direction, since their secondaries are already pretty powerful. (or possibly a new mechanic instead of the speed boost, that would accelerate  the cooldowns on damage control and repair)

Anyway this is just off the top of my head. What do you guys think?

How about we get a non gimic BB line ? 

IJN and US dont have Hydro or superheals and are competetiv......

Why cant they design a soild Line without any gimics? arent things like 8 barales Bow on or 16 Guns "unique" enogh?

• Cool 2

[WGP2L]
Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,108 battles
15 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

How about we get a non gimic BB line ? 

IJN and US dont have Hydro or superheals and are competetiv......

Why cant they design a soild Line without any gimics? arent things like 8 barales Bow on or 16 Guns "unique" enogh?

Not the T10 (which is kinda the point of this thread). It will have 8 guns in total, and based on current data rathe poor survivability. From what I've seen, France going toe-to-toe with a Yamato or Monti would fail miserably. It has decent secondaries, but they have low HP and get killed very easily. The only good thing is the penetration of the shells, which again is kinda irrelevant, since even with just 8 guns the dispersion is horrible.

As for the accelerated Damage Control and Damage Repair, that was just a quick idea, but I was more leaning towards the style of how torpedo reload booster works. Quick boost to cooldowns and then it itself would have a cooldown. Of course some fine and thoughtful balancing would be necessary. Oh wait... I think I just spotted the flaw in this...  :Smile_trollface:

To all the trolls, noone is suggesting we put a radar on it.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,441 posts
13,192 battles
23 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

I want a battleship that can do a 21 gun salute on its own without firing any gun twice. 7x3 configuration anyone? :Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
Players
3,496 posts
11,671 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

No more BBs with Cruiser consumables, its bad enough already. I agree, that speedboost is pretty... uninspiring. But we dont need more BBs with Hydro, and i definetely dont think we need BBs with DefAA. Crazy AA BBs are bad enough already, but DefAA would put it over the top. BBs with good AA can be dropped by CV, but with DefAA panic mode they become pretty much immune to CVs then.

^

this

What's the purpose of Cruisers if you're going the give their "specialty" (i.e. multipurpose consumables) to BBs?

• Cool 2

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,118 posts
10,575 battles
11 minutes ago, majogl said:

Not the T10 (which is kinda the point of this thread). It will have 8 guns in total, and based on current data rathe poor survivability. From what I've seen, France going toe-to-toe with a Yamato or Monti would fail miserably. It has decent secondaries, but they have low HP and get killed very easily. The only good thing is the penetration of the shells, which again is kinda irrelevant, since even with just 8 guns the dispersion is horrible.

As for the accelerated Damage Control and Damage Repair, that was just a quick idea, but I was more leaning towards the style of how torpedo reload booster works. Quick boost to cooldowns and then it itself would have a cooldown. Of course some fine and thoughtful balancing would be necessary. Oh wait... I think I just spotted the flaw in this...  :Smile_trollface:

To all the trolls, noone is suggesting we put a radar on it.

Well if the softparameters are good enogh even the T10 is ok. If Gascan is any indicater with its 15 inch behaving like a 16 inch exept on overmatch a Fast reload good Krup and sigma gun can do the job considering the reload, A Gimic consumable do not make up for a otherwise average or bad ship.

Well at least we dont get 20 kmDreadnouts that sudenly turn into 45 kn Speeddeamons on a Klick considering the last 2 Gimiks made the weakness of the last 2  BB lines a joke....

Players
2,829 posts
16,682 battles

i dont care about the consumeables as long as the guns feel inconsitent...

• Cool 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,177 posts
5,048 battles
2 hours ago, majogl said:

Do you know that WG already said that they will try to put russian BB line before the end of the year, or the very beginning of next year ?

[WGP2L]
Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,108 battles
15 minutes ago, NoirLotus said:

Do you know that WG already said that they will try to put russian BB line before the end of the year, or the very beginning of next year ?

And yet, somehow i doubt it... 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,062 posts
15,733 battles

Yes, clearly we need BBs to push cruisers even further into obscurity. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
4 hours ago, majogl said:

What i'm thinking, give us some alternatives to the speed boost, such as Defensive AA or possibly Hydro.

No and hell no.

Give them Spotting Aircraft as an alternative, that's all a BB needs

• Bad 1