FreeXP Cruiser

19 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
[OCTO]
Players
82 posts
6,014 battles

Hi,

there are 3 battleships (2 now?) which could be obtained by free XP.

did anyone heard of WG plans to introduce some decent high level Cruiser for free XP? 

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles

Nope....but I know I'd buy one

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,927 posts
7,915 battles

Doesnt seem like WG has something coming out anytime soon

But Im hoping for Japanese Super A class Cruiser/B65 or Alaska, both really good tier 9 cruiser candidates now that we know Stalingrad is coming as a tier 10 reward ship.

• Cool 1

[NKK2]
Players
1,086 posts
3,543 battles

How about the IJN Maya? At tier 7 8 it would be nice. And for other nations aswell. Maybe Jamaica, Chicago, Blucher? I really want a tier 7-9 free xp cruiser. 

• Cool 2

Players
455 posts
9,987 battles
20 hours ago, Nordavindr said:

Hi,

there are 3 battleships (2 now?) which could be obtained by free XP.

did anyone heard of WG plans to introduce some decent high level Cruiser for free XP? 

Nah, WG has to feed the immensely hungry BBiatch population first.

But maybe soonTM.  

[HAIFU]
Players
490 posts
4,255 battles

HMS Exeter could be a good free XP cruiser. Interesting service life (Battle of the River Plate), and perhaps a good taster of British heavy cruisers to come. She only has weak armour, but six accurate 8-inch guns, some torps and maybe decent concealment could help balance her. Then I suppose we could get her sister, HMS York, as the tech tree alternative later on?

Or for the laughs, add HMS Furious with its 18-inch guns. It only has a 3-inch belt and just two guns, but it could be hilarious. Most likely unsuited for a tech tree, this could be a good place for it.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
467 posts
13,407 battles

I have over 500 k of free xp, I just dont like to play BB.

If they introduced a dd or cruiser I get it, even if it was the worst in its tier.

I was thinking of using flags and camo to harvest more free xp and buy missoury before she was removed, but decided not to. I hate Missoury and Belfast, they are both OP p2w ships, and I think they worked as cash-machines for wargaming. They had to stop selling them because they were breaking the game - I guess. Missoury may be free-xp ship, but the number of players with very few games and winrate below 50% is.... well, it looks like a lot of real life money.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,927 posts
7,915 battles
1 hour ago, bug said:

I have over 500 k of free xp, I just dont like to play BB.

If they introduced a dd or cruiser I get it, even if it was the worst in its tier.

I was thinking of using flags and camo to harvest more free xp and buy missoury before she was removed, but decided not to. I hate Missoury and Belfast, they are both OP p2w ships, and I think they worked as cash-machines for wargaming. They had to stop selling them because they were breaking the game - I guess. Missoury may be free-xp ship, but the number of players with very few games and winrate below 50% is.... well, it looks like a lot of real life money.

Dont worry, rumors are that Kronshtadt will be free xp cruiser. Sub_oct said they have something in the works, but cant say anything yet so chances are that what he is thinking about is the Kronshtadt.

Players
41 posts
1,828 battles
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎03 at 10:31 AM, Centurion_1711 said:

HMS Exeter could be a good free XP cruiser. Interesting service life (Battle of the River Plate), and perhaps a good taster of British heavy cruisers to come. She only has weak armour, but six accurate 8-inch guns, some torps and maybe decent concealment could help balance her. Then I suppose we could get her sister, HMS York, as the tech tree alternative later on?

Or for the laughs, add HMS Furious with its 18-inch guns. It only has a 3-inch belt and just two guns, but it could be hilarious. Most likely unsuited for a tech tree, this could be a good place for it.

YES. I agree,. HMS Exeter is a Historic Battleship.

Players
406 posts
19,706 battles
On 03/02/2018 at 9:31 AM, Centurion_1711 said:

I would love  to see  Exeter in game,  as  for  the armour,  not  sure  about  weak,  3"  side (76mm), 1.5" deck (37mm), with 5" crowns (127mm) and 3" sides (76mm) to magazines.  1" armour on turrets,  which is a  bit  naff. The armour is a  lot better  than the Suffren class, marginally better  than  Trento and Bolzano,  except  for  the turrets, superior to  Furutaka  or  Aoba, and on a par  with the Portlands.  Exeter  needs to have  ducks  which fly away when she is sunk ( at 2nd  Java Sea  they were kept  for eggs and  released  as  she was scuttled / sunk ),  and  should  have  gun tubs  for single 20mm on A and Y  turrets  with nothing  in them.

• Cool 2

[CR-S]
Players
482 posts
20,832 battles
28 minutes ago, Combat_Hamster said:

The armour is a  lot better  than the Suffren class

Are you sure you want to say Suffren and armour in the same sentence? :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[HAIFU]
Players
490 posts
4,255 battles

Some photos and stats relating to HMS Exeter:

Stats: 

Spoiler

Displacement: 8,520t (10,660t full load)

Power: 80,000hp

Max speed: 32 knots

Armour: 3" (76mm) main belt, 1.5" (38mm) deck, 1" (25mm) turrets and barbettes, 3"-5.5" (76-140mm) magazines

Armament (the good stuff :Smile_Default:)

• 6x 8"/50 guns in three two gun turrets: muzzle velocity of 855m/s (originally 884m/s, but resulted in poor dispersion), AP shell weighs 116kg, RoF of about 6rpm.

(The early spec, i.e. during the Battle of the River Plate)

• 4x 4"/45 guns in single mounts (the same as those on the Emerald)
  • 2x 40mm pom-poms in single mounts, either side of the aft superstructure
  • 2x quad Vickers .50cals on either side of the for'd superstructure
  • 2x triple 21" torpedo tubes

(The spec after her refit following River Plate, i.e. the Java Sea spec)

• Single 4" mounts replaced with twin 4"/45 mounts (like on Leander, Perth, Fiji etc.) for a total of 8x 4" barrels
  • 2x octuple 40mm pom-poms installed either side of the aft superstructure (replacing single mounts?)
  • Gun tubs for single 20mm Oerlikons added on B and Y turrets

Exeter had a catapult for launching aircraft, as well as a fire control radar after her refit (possible consumable?)

Photos:

Spoiler

5acf4b773b9f1_Exeterriverplatedamage.jpg.e5c25c53012be63f8c6f6696bda263df.jpg

Damage sustained after the Battle of the River Plate. The 25mm plating did practically nothing to protect the turrets, with both A and B turrets getting knocked out. The bridge looks pretty battered, too.

5acf4b792c0ff_HMSExeterfront.jpg.3289b4dd135fe66e2575a6bf233962fd.jpg

A nice model of Exeter in her pre-war/early war config. Note that EX is painted on the turrets for aerial identification.

5acf4b7c758b8_HMSExeterrearview.thumb.jpg.cd0863893cec418a59d4e4e48001984b.jpg

Rear view. Note the 4" guns near the funnel.

Make it happen WG, please! :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Players
406 posts
19,706 battles
1 hour ago, drmajga said:

Are you sure you want to say Suffren and armour in the same sentence? :Smile_trollface:

Ok  Suffren would have to be angled to keep the rain out

[CR-S]
Players
482 posts
20,832 battles

I like many of the proposals about fxp cruisers here and i am sure WG thought about them too. But a vague and somewhat uninterested "maybe at some time in the future" is all that WG gave us so far.

I am not really hyped about the Kronstadt but if it becomes available for free experience, i might take it just out of boredom. But a ship that has some history would be preferable.

A question to WG staff: How about releasing the HMS Swiftsure? I am sure that she is already modeled since it is a half-sister of Fiji. Besides, the HMS Minotaur* was planned to be put in game as HMCS Ontario, am i right? But since Canada is refusing to give permission like in the case of the Haida (which you therefore will sell as Cossack), you can call her HMS Swiftsure and give us that thing for FreeXP.

Just a thought.

I have to admit that i can be a "crybaby" in some regards but after more than a year after the first fxp ship we still have only ONE of the four classes in-game covered. Three BBs and nothing else.

* before anyone comes up with T10: i mean the real one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur-class_cruiser_(1943)

Spoiler

Since the picture of Ontario at Wikipedia is ugly i added this one: isn´t she a beauty?

HMCS_Ontario.thumb.jpg.ec7ffe2589449be248521066a459db7c.jpg

Edited by drmajga
Added a picture of HMCS Ontario
  • Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,131 posts
28,072 battles

Even if many proposals are interesting, I hope that FReeXP ships also can be produced for lower tiers (it is not a problem for me with over 1 Million) but to make more variety for newer players and also maybe odd ships with no direct linkage to other ships , Nelson f.e. was IMO a good free XP ship , a few Battlecruisers f.e. perhaps someshat lower tiered with limited usage against Aircraft (original hulls) f.e. at T4-5, perhaps with more limited repair function, at say 100000-200000 FreeXP. 

[HAIFU]
Players
490 posts
4,255 battles
1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

Even if many proposals are interesting, I hope that FReeXP ships also can be produced for lower tiers (it is not a problem for me with over 1 Million) but to make more variety for newer players and also maybe odd ships with no direct linkage to other ships , Nelson f.e. was IMO a good free XP ship , a few Battlecruisers f.e. perhaps someshat lower tiered with limited usage against Aircraft (original hulls) f.e. at T4-5, perhaps with more limited repair function, at say 100000-200000 FreeXP.

That sounds like an original config for the Renown class. As they are WWI-era BC's they have little to no AA, and with just six 15"/42 guns and a thin main belt it won't be to overpowered. They deserve to be in the game, but wouldn't have fitted in a RN BB tree particularly well.

Other candidates could be a free XP Dido class (small 5.25" guns, would be strange in the main tree), maybe a Java Sea US cruiser (forgot its name), Kitakami (reworked, of course :Smile_hiding:) or maybe historical refits of certain ship hulls, like how a lot of British ships got refitted as AA cruisers.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,498 battles

I'm torn on Free XP ships. I want more cruisers and I think we deserve a Free XP cruiser, but their costs are just dumb IMO. I've rarely had more than 100k Free XP in one go and every time I've spent it all. There are just so many ways Free XP can be used to ease game progress that the thought of saving up 750k and then blowing it all for just one single ship makes me dizzy. Even if somehow I had that much and there was a ship I really wanted, I would seriously hesitate to spend it.

Having said that, I would love to see more cruisers, especially interesting ones that don't fit the trees otherwise, and if we have cheaper Free XP ships at lower tiers I would be tempted. Renown class as a cruiser? Love the class but that seems far fetched, more like another Free XP BB. Dido, absolutely!

[HAIFU]
Players
490 posts
4,255 battles

Oh, I didn't mean to put the Renown as a cruiser, just thought it fitted the description that @Gnirf gave. Now if we wanted a REAL free XP troll cruiser it would have to be HMS Furious, with either 15"/42's or 18"/40's. Because overmatch be damned. I know I've mentioned it already, but this is another ship alongside Exeter that needs to be added.

Spoiler

5ad324e36d0f3_HMSFuriousrear.jpg.065d83735206289526bb5bab67761208.jpgHMS_Furious.thumb.jpg.577df046d8a4b94a30d908e8f42d04c9.jpg

• Cool 1