You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hayashio

IJN Asashio in Preview

104 comments in this topic

[TSUN]
Community Contributor, Beta Tester
335 posts
6,242 battles

31f34572ca.pngIJN ASASHIO - another premium Kagerou clone?

Before we go on I’d like to point out that this is my personal opinion of the ship in the current form, she is still a Work in Progress ship and is thus, subject to change. Any information that I have here could change tomorrow, so take it with a pinch of salt.

CURRENT PT CHANGES

Japanese destroyer Asashio, tier VIII Deep water modification of Type 93 torpedoes is equipped. Can only hit battleships and carriers. Rate of fire - 0.5 launches per minute. Reload - 112 seconds. 180 degree turn - 7.2 seconds. Maximum damage - 20966. Speed - 67 knots. Range - 20 km (instead of 10). Detectability - 0.7 km (instead of 1.7 km). These changes are designed to make the ship's gameplay more unique in relation to the Kagero destroyer.

A bit of background

What is peculiar about this ship is the fact that, unlike almost all premium ships – some like to say Scharnhorst is not part of these - she is the lead ship of her class.

So as some of you might be aware, after the First World War, the winning nations decided to hold a naval conference in short intervals to oversee global shipbuilding. 450px-Asashio_II.jpgThere are a multitude of reasons behind this plan, among others was the prevention of another arms races like the one that, in part, lead to World War 1. These naval conferences would focus on displacement, maximum gun calibre and the amount of ships a nation could possess, and would generally strive to create unity between the parties involved. In the 1930s Japan dropped out of these naval conferences —due to political circumstances I will not further clarify— thus bringing about a new era of destroyers. These destroyers were much larger than their predecessors, and were able to boast improved armament and seaworthiness.
The first of these destroyer classes was the Asashio-class. She was the first one to exceed 2000 tonnes in displacement, and was the template for all future destroyers to come (disregarding Akizuki, she was a completely different project). She was armed with the same 12,7 cm Type 5 naval guns in a 3×2 setup, and had 2 sets of quadruple torpedo tubes with one reload available at sea.
Out of 10 planned, 10 were completed. Of course, this new design didn’t come without flaws. The new engines were unreliable at times and there were some rudder issues, most which were later to be remedied by the Kagerou and Yuugumo class of ships. No Asashio survived the war.

But what’s she like in game?

I am sure it comes to no surprise to anyone that Asashio borrows a lot from Kagerou.
She has identical concealment (with captain skills and modifications, mind you), the same top speed, identical torpedoes and the same survivability. Asashio has no AA to speak of, at least none worth mentioning (10 DPS at 3.1km) and her rudder shift (historical nudge) is 0.9 seconds worse than that on the Kagerou.

Upon analysis of these stats, Asashio is, basically, a Kagerou with worse gun handling and a longer rudder shift.

Gameplay:

Skills

Modifications
96e846d38d.png e4c4c85902.png

I don’t recommend going torpedo acceleration, unless you know how to deal with it.

IFHE can be traded in for torpedo armament expertise.

a67758c72e.png

Asashio performs as you'd expect when she manages to hit the torpedoes, 20k alpha combined with a decent torpedo speed does amount to decent damage.

She’s… A premium Kagerou. The rudder shift is worse, but it’s not that noticeable. What is however noticeable, is the 2s extra reload time. Since she’s not a gunboat to begin with, most people won’t find this to be such a big deal, but it does put her at a quite large DPM disadvantage. This, combined with the fact that she lacks AA makes her one of the weakest performing destroyers. She relies very much on her torpedoes for her bulk damage, which means games are going to be a mixed bag.
For all intents and purposes, she is a Kagerou that earns more due to her premium nature.
If we compare her to the other Tier 8 Japanese premium, she’s a lot less… novel. But as an overall ship she performs better. She has more hitpoints, better torpedoes, and the same concealment. To put it into perspective, Harekaze is a stock Kagerou with better gun choice, decent AA and 0.5 knots more top speed. Asashio is a top hull Kagerou with worse rudder shift and even less AA than the Kagerou.

I played her with Engine Boost and Torpedo Reload Accelerator, by the way.

Conclusion:

Asashio could be an interesting ship with a little work, but at the moment she just doesn't have anything that makes her interesting. In her current form there is no real reason for you to play her instead of  Kagerou. And there is no real reason to play Kagerou, if you see where I am going with this. Japanese destroyer gameplay is such a hit and miss at the moment that I cannot recommend this ship in it's current form. Unless you really, really, REALLY want to pick up a Kagerou that earns a little extra. In which case that's completely fine.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that this ship is not a Kagero, and she just feels like one at the moment. I'd love to see some more extravagant attempts at making Japanese destroyer premiums, instead of turning down the AA and then cloning the ship. She's not very competitive with the other tier 8 destroyers, especially with the likes of Lo Yang and Kidd. She doesn't have any fancy consumables to make her "gimmicky" (unique). Asashio is a looker though, I really like the camouflage work and the colour scheme is also pretty nice.

• Cool 11
  • Bad 1

[TSUN]
335 posts
6,242 battles

Post has been fixed.

Why is enter also "post topic"? This did not go as planned!

• Funny 1

Players
984 posts
5,061 battles

Predecessor to the Kagero with just 35kn speed, but rather a lot of aa, while maintaining 2x4 torps. Interesting to say the least (if the is released in this Form), but which place will she take? Maybe replace Akizuki? Or be an ijn Kidd clone?

[TSCC]
Players
1,656 posts
19,078 battles
1 minute ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Predecessor to the Kagero with just 35kn speed, but rather a lot of aa, while maintaining 2x4 torps. Interesting to say the least (if the is released in this Form), but which place will she take? Maybe replace Akizuki? Or be an ijn Kidd clone?

What AA, she has 2x2 25mm AA guns and .... well that's all. The only notable advantage over Kagero is more range on main guns. All other stats are rather same or worse then Kagero. Compared to Asashio straight clone of Kagero as Yukikaze would be way better and more popular.

• Cool 1

Players
984 posts
5,061 battles
3 minutes ago, fumtu said:

What AA, she has 2x2 25mm AA guns and .... well that's all. The only notable advantage over Kagero is more range on main guns. All other stats are rather same or worse then Kagero. Compared to Asashio straight clone of Kagero as Yukikaze would be way better and more popular.

Was reading it up on wiki and it reads "

So. ....

[TSUN]
335 posts
6,242 battles
1 minute ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Was reading it up on wiki and it reads "

So. ....

I am afraid that is not the case:

51b3ca5371.png

• Cool 1

Players
984 posts
5,061 battles

First of all thank you. 

Secondly: Not interested in her. Though her gimmick will remain to be seen. 

Edit: Okay. I love the Kagero, but reducing rudder shift AND aa? Why do that? And make her guns worse on top of it? Sorry, but a torp boat at least needs to be fast/maneuverable to work if it doesn't have anything else going for it. Too lazy of a concept to even consider buying. 

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,728 posts
6,116 battles

Based on the above I see no reason to chose her as an alternative to the Harekaze if a premium is wanted (presuming that the HSF remains available).

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Lel wut so basically this is a poor man's Harekaze?

I guess you get full fat 20k torps but not worth giving up for poor guns, AA and worse rudder...

Players
2,170 posts
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

I guess you get full fat 20k torps but not worth giving up for poor guns, AA and worse rudder...

I agree.

I like destroyers a lot, this one just has nothing to make it even marginally interesting, the lousy AA and poor reload means you can't even defend yourself in a pinch.

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,980 posts
4,013 battles
7 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

It is literally a poor man's (or rich) Kagerou since she has absolutely nothing going for her compared to the tech tree version, and that one is already meh.
As it stands right now this is the most dissapointing prem in a long line of dissapointing DDs and prems.

They should at least buff her guns, maybe bring back the old IJN HE shell that they had before the rework to compensate for the awful reload.
Just give her the old T8 Fubuki torps and guns and you'd actually have a fun ship (more fun than the rest of the IJN line) that is not OP or massively gimmicky.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
1 minute ago, Verdius said:

It is literally a poor man's (or rich) Kagerou since she has absolutely nothing going for her compared to the tech tree version, and that one is already meh.

IJN is the only nation that largely follows WG's outdated Prem policy of being slightly weaker than the tech tree counter parts... :cap_like:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,697 posts
16,275 battles
14 minutes ago, philjd said:

Based on the above I see no reason to chose her as an alternative to the Harekaze if a premium is wanted (presuming that the HSF remains available).

Harakaze is the most Versatile Tier 8 DD in the game at the moment in my opinion. Take Survivability Expert and get 20% extra HP she can handle just  any DD she meets in a gun fight. with a 5.4KM detection MMMMMMMMM

I don't think Asashio will make it in to my port as she stands at the moment

• Cool 2

[CAIN]
Players
2,787 posts
11,013 battles

It seems that after each wave of "WG releases new p2w ship" WG has lsitened and dialed it down, to a point that each premium we got recently was bad to terrible.

This one seems to be one of the better ones we will be able to buy, assuming she doesn't get nerfed before release.

@Strefs thanks for the preview.

[TSCC]
Players
1,656 posts
19,078 battles
46 minutes ago, Strefs said:

What is peculiar about this ship is the fact that, unlike almost all premium ships – some like to say Scharnhorst is not part of these - she is the lead ship of her class

Nice review Strefs. You could call me a little picky but just one note, there are some other premiums that were lead ships of the class like Atlanta, Sims and Aigle. Even Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya (originaly Gangut) was a lead ship of Gangut class.

• Cool 1

[TSUN]
335 posts
6,242 battles
2 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Nice review Strefs. You could call me a little picky but just one note, there are some other premiums that were lead ships of the class like Atlanta, Sims and Aigle. Even Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya (originaly Gangut) was a lead ship of Gangut class.

yes, you're right! Which is why I wrote, almost all. It's not unsual for WG to break the "unwritten" rules we're used to. The first thing that sprung to mind of course was the debacle about Gneisenau and Scharnhorst

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
32 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

IJN is the only nation that largely follows WG's outdated Prem policy of being slightly weaker than the tech tree counter parts... :cap_like:

It's also the most powercreeped nation, where supposed buffs are often nerfs in disguise.

• Cool 2

Players
910 posts
11,126 battles
39 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I can totally live with this, what is bothering me is that - though of course, it's largely subjective - the IJN barely gets any interesting (or I shall say, "unique" or historically significant)  premium. If WG holds them back for sub-branches, then yeeey, but otherwise I am not impressed. I don't even remember, what was the last IJN prem I liked as unique, was it the Mutsu? Kaga? Whichever came later.

Then again, the USA also got a bit shafted maybe, the Enterprise is the only ship I was interested in as of lately.

It's also an argument of course that for them it's harder to slap in an "interesting" ship contrary to for example the italian tree, where esentially whatever comes out, it's novelty.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,728 posts
6,116 battles
8 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

It's also an argument of course that for them it's harder to slap in an "interesting" ship contrary to for example the italian tree, where esentially whatever comes out, it's novelty.

Only until they release the RM's own trees though (on the assumption they do get around to it).

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
13 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

I don't even remember, what was the last IJN prem I liked as unique, was it the Mutsu? Kaga? Whichever came later.

Then again, the USA also got a bit shafted maybe, the Enterprise is the only ship I was interested in as of lately.

Big E is a strong performer.

Arguably she's a little boring but she beats down every Lex deck ever imagined and she's very competitive next to Shokaku. 

Players
984 posts
5,061 battles
46 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

This should tell everything, considering your wallet throwing experience. 

[BYOB]
Players
3,558 posts
13,634 battles

Color me surprised, another underwhelming and boring IJN premium.

It looks like WG either has a grudge against the Japanese or they have no idea how to create interesting ships. :cap_tea:

I'm going to pass hard with this one, like most of the IJN premiums it's not worth the money.

[TSCC]
Players
1,656 posts
19,078 battles
56 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Wait what! There is a dd that you don't want in your port! :Smile-_tongue: