Sign in to follow this  
HarryCallahansDay

Choosing Warships

6 comments in this topic

[CATS]
Players
17,829 posts
11,758 battles

Battleships and up to that Tier, Cruisers.

I suggest the german, US or UK battleship lines and the german, US and japanese cruiser lines.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

BBs are always easier to play, but their accuracy - especially at lower tiers - is frustrating at best. Japanese and German lines are probably the easiest to start with.

Cruisers are the "jack of all trades" so to say - they have something of everything, but their survivability leaves a lot to be desired. RN cruisers are definitely much more skill dependent than others, so wouldn't recommend those. Others... well, as ColonelPete said - can't go wrong with US and Japanese cruisers

DDs - especailly at low tiers - can wreck stuff without even being seen, low tier Japanese DDs are great at that. But best choice probably would be the Pan-Asians.

CVs - well, they simply aren't easy, so those you will probably want to skip, at least initially.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,065 posts
7,531 battles

I would suggest trying as many things as possible at lower tiers (so, up to about T4); the early ships are quick(ish) to research and don't cost much silver. Until you reach T5, you are get protected MM too i.e. you won't see anything more than one tier higher than you (unless you fail platoon, or whatever the WOWS term is).

Have a look at the wiki too - it'll give you an idea of what the various ships are good/bad for: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Other than that, the better players above have covered the rest better than I could. Something to note if you decide to go with the PA DDs though - their torpedoes can't hit destroyers (but are better against everything else), so they are atypical in terms of learning how torps work.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,131 posts
28,072 battles
8 hours ago, DirtyHarryGR said:

I am new to this

could you pls inform me what warships are easy to learn and play with

I am thinking about tier III to tier VI

thanks for replying

Well I do not answer so exact, but what do you mean by easy to learn and play with?

Because it is sometimes different which ships are easy to play with f.e. accumulating hits and damage (cruisers) but are more vulnerable. Battleships are easier to survive longer in but are slower and have long reloads. US Battleships are slowest. I would therefor say German Battleships as they are a few knots faster more newbie-friendly protected and have a Little faster reload. RN BBs also fine. Then it is one thing to learn manouver the ship and its guns- and one other thing to master  the tactics - (movement on the map), and the uS ships in particular are terribly slow if you position yourself wrong. I will therefor urge you to take your time also to understand the maps which on lower tiers are small but stiill are open to mistakes in manouver. When you have learned to aim and drive your ship then also learn how to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

IJN and French cruisers I think is decent newbie friendly, likewise US. RU are good in the right hands but scales massively with better captains on the lower tiers. F.e. Bogatyr I find to be the best T3 cruiser with a top captain but St Louis is better with a low pt captain. For T2 cruisers, the German spamming shotguncruisers may be fun and gives you hits (but not so much damage) , while the IJN Chikuma for the experienced player are absolutely the best, her gun arcs and fire chance are far the best especially at long range (10 km)  but her slow reload makes her somewhat more difficult for the newbie as the other T2 cruisers have faster reload and therefor your missed salvos hurts less.

Players
204 posts
329 battles

DD's - go for Japanese or Pan-Asia lines if you preffer area denial torpedoes over burning all the things. Those lines are easier if you only focus on torpedoes, tho  Pan-Asia is hadicaped due deep water torps if engaged with enemy DD's so better join a wolfack unlocking that line. Those lines are easest due the ability to launch torpedoes at long ranges and staying undetected way longer than other DD's.

CL/CA - either the German or the US lines.  Your job is to burn all the things, secure kills and hunt DD's, for all that you need a high rate of fire. AA support is much apreciated to. German cruisers haw the best citadel armour at mid close ranges and a swis knife consumabe kit so they are decent at all the things but don't excell in one particular category. US can AP pen at greather angles from long range + plunging fire and haw the best AA defense so they excell at playing support.

BB's - probably the German line in low tiers. All BB's are bad at low tiers anyway.

CV's - probably Japan due the sheer amount of torpedo planes but US can win air supermancy and counter it. Due MM shenigans hawing to deal with +1 CV oponent even air supermanceyi isin't guaranteed, so whoever makes the fastes impact on the battle usually shapes the endreslut (deleting all enemy DD's via cross drop can leave enemy pretty much blind).

Sign in to follow this