affie

USS Fletcher: Speed Boost or Def AA

18 comments in this topic

[JEANS]
Players
290 posts
5,650 battles

I'm about to research the hull on my Fletcher which seems to perform well even stock. But with this new hull I get the option to use a new consumable, i.e. Defensive AA, and I wonder which is the best, better speed or better AA?

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,066 posts
15,733 battles

Take DFAA. Not only does it allow you to support your team but in games without CVs you're also capable of denying catapult plane spotting. Either way DFAA is invaluable.

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

Defensive AA 100% for me. The negatives for not having Defensive AA in a game with CVs far exceed the negatives for not having speed boost in the games without them. Even in games without CVs Defensive AA is very useful for swatting away pesky catapult fighters you don't want spotting you at inopportune times. You're also not sacrificing any firepower in order to get it, unlike the ships that came before, so it's a no-brainer for me.

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles

In solo random I take speed boost. Helps you to switch sides quickly or get out of a difficult situation.

In division def AA might help teammates who a vulnerable to planes.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

As a dd main who greatly favours the Fletcher over the rest... Defensive AA! 

You might not use it every single match. But the advantages of aa are greater than the disadvantages of not having the few extra knots of speed. 

If you want speed there are different dd's that can be used. 

Even in games without carrier's the aa is useful. Because you can more reliably shoot down pesky spotter planes. 

[JEANS]
Players
290 posts
5,650 battles

Okay, seems like Def AA is the way to go then.

So follow question, does any one of you spec for AA with captain skills and upgrades? 

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,072 battles

Take the module for +20% AA range, the other choices in this slot are not necessary.

AA skills for your captain are optional. I have some, because I regularly play divisions (often with CVs).

BFT and AFT are good because they upgrade your main guns as well. If you want full AA cancer, Manual AA boosts quite a bit, but you have to leave out other skills.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
50 minutes ago, affie said:

Okay, seems like Def AA is the way to go then.

So follow question, does any one of you spec for AA with captain skills and upgrades? 

No, not really worth that. Apart from bft. I don't think you should try to replace the aa cruisers. It is more like being able to bite back at a cv trying to be cheeky with you or to deal with pesky spotter planes. 

Aft is a skill I do not recommend, no need to increase your spotting range even more when shooting. I have even swapped all my range modules back to stock. The optimal gun range is about 7-8km anyway. More range can just make it more difficult to disengage. 

[JEANS]
Players
290 posts
5,650 battles

I am actually considering swapping my Aiming mod for AA mod if I go Defensive AA upgrade. That together with could help me with DD hunting carriers. 

My aim is however to build for torpedoes, meaning I will go for Torpedo Armament Expertise and consider AR (+ Priority Target) instead of BFT. Or would SI be worth to remove to get both AR and BFT?

Current captain is:

PM, LS, SE, SI, CE

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Aa mod is feasible, the Fletcher is very accurate anyway. Especially in her optimal gun range. 

I wouldn't go hunting carrier's in her though. Not really worth it in my opinion. Takes too long for too little gain. 

I don't have si. Dont really see the use, just have to use premium consumables and be conservative with your smokes. 

Ar + bft are quite good, I use those. But I have her setup as a gunboat with good torps. The bft also increases your aa effectiveness which is nice as well. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Def AA all day.

CVs will leave you alone or pay a price. 

Especially because WG buffed DefAA for some unknown reason, killed over 20 planes in a Fletcher with just DefAA with the AA range module a few weeks ago. 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,066 posts
15,733 battles
Spoiler

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, affie said:

I am actually considering swapping my Aiming mod for AA mod if I go Defensive AA upgrade. That together with could help me with DD hunting carriers.

You don't want to hunt CVs in all but the most extreme circumstances, trust me. The new DCP changes means that a CV will always have squadrons in the air before you can kill him and he can easily afford to wait a while as having reduced hitpoints is not important for a CV. In a direct trading scenario against a skilled CV player you will draw the short end of the stick regardless of DFAA.

Personally I use this build:

Spoiler

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2018.02.01_

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2018.02.01_

If I could be bothered someday I'll swap out SI for AR and PT. Smoke is not something you need many charges of nowadays since smoking up teammates doesn't exactly work too well anymore and the extra charge of DFAA will rarely get used. I also wouldn't take AFT. It has no benefits, when it comes to guns you're a knife fighter and will struggle to hit anything far out anyway. Only thing AFT does is potentially get you killed as it increases your detectability range when firing.

I don't really see the point in using AA range tbh. The default range has been more than enough in every situation I've found myself in so far. On the other hand I like having my torp tubes being able to swivel around faster.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,072 battles

You two are misunderstanding him. He wants help against DD-hunting carriers -> help against carriers that hunt DDs (him). Not help with hunting carriers in a DD ^^

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,066 posts
15,733 battles
10 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

You two are misunderstanding him. He wants help against DD-hunting carriers -> help against carriers that hunt DDs (him). Not help with hunting carriers in a DD ^^

tenor.gif

Nevermind then ^^

• Funny 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,736 posts
6,135 battles

Was just about to ask a similar Q for my Kidd, so this thread answers that as well.

Ta

Phil

• Cool 1

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
51 minutes ago, philjd said:

Was just about to ask a similar Q for my Kidd, so this thread answers that as well.

Ta

Phil

With the kidd I focused more on the aa aspect since that's what sets it apart from the Benson. 

[JEANS]
Players
290 posts
5,650 battles
8 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Exactly, to often some CV goes all in for killing me, that's why I would use AA-mods.

11 hours ago, stewie533 said:

Aa mod is feasible, the Fletcher is very accurate anyway. Especially in her optimal gun range. 

I wouldn't go hunting carrier's in her though. Not really worth it in my opinion. Takes too long for too little gain. 

I don't have si. Dont really see the use, just have to use premium consumables and be conservative with your smokes. 

Ar + bft are quite good, I use those. But I have her setup as a gunboat with good torps. The bft also increases your aa effectiveness which is nice as well. 

Interesting, maybe I will have to look over my games an see how often I run out of smoke. If not to often I guess AR + BFT could be a very valid option.

• Cool 1