You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TigerMoth

4 Games, 2 Detonations...

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Just bought the HSF Harekaze. I have played four games and lost all four. Two of those games ended with detonations. Thank you Wargaming. How to make me feel my money was well spent.

:cap_money::cap_tea::cap_wander:

• Funny 3

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles

Well....at least you have an immunity to it for the next 10 games (also they can't dictate whether you're going to win or lose)

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,595 battles

So after the first battle in which you got detonated you didn't put the flags on that you were awarded specifically to stop detonation, then you got detonated again and are, apparently, surprised by this?  Okaaay...

Other than that... Harekaze any good please?

[SCRUB]
Players
8,362 posts
10,835 battles

And you only get the Juliet Charly signal flags reward once because it's locked behind a 24hr cooldown. So the second time you detonated, you got nothing (well aside from having gotten shafted by RNG).

InB4someonetellsyoutousethemagazinemodupgrade.

• Cool 2

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

And you only get the Juliet Charly signal flags reward once because it's locked behind a 24hr cooldown. So the second time you detonated, you got nothing (well aside from having gotten shafted by RNG).

InB4someonetellsyoutousethemagazinemodupgrade.

_-mtYG-bTrejbR5OsQHmLQ.pngangry-must-resist.jpg

Dude...play a game and post once more please...it's triggering me

• Cool 1
  • Funny 12

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
49 minutes ago, krazypenguin said:

So after the first battle in which you got detonated you didn't put the flags on that you were awarded specifically to stop detonation, then you got detonated again and are, apparently, surprised by this?  Okaaay...

I sell those bl**dy flags. GRrrrrrr :Smile_izmena: I think that if I were to use them, I would save them for ranked or something other than random.

Ship is nice. I have 1,000,000 free XP on the Kagero, so I figured it can't be too far off my play style. I like the idea of being able to play around with the build. I might even train a captain for the 100mm build with IFHE and AA. The cat camo is nice and gives +50% captain XP. Too soon to give a proper opinion as I am struggling to do anything with it :Smile_amazed:

Karekaze.png

The only thing with the cat camo, is that they forgot to paint a bit on the top :)

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,068 battles
Vor 59 Minuten, krazypenguin sagte:

Very good, yes. But like on all DDs: You need detonation flags because DDs easily detonate.

Vor 23 Minuten, TigerMoth sagte:

I sell those bl**dy flags.

That is very stupid. You have absolutely no right to come here and cry about detonations then.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,362 posts
10,835 battles
1 hour ago, domen3 said:

_-mtYG-bTrejbR5OsQHmLQ.pngangry-must-resist.jpg

Dude...play a game and post once more please...it's triggering me

Aww man, my battle count just updated ... I had hoped to torture you some more until tomorrow, but the statistics engine apparently has more mercy than I do ... spoilsports.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,065 posts
7,531 battles

Although it's doubtful if I should be playing T8s yet, I'm rather enjoying my Harekaze; I'm above my (pitiful) average WR in it so far - thanks to whoever has been carrying me!

I always run the 'no-xplode' flag though, as that avoids having to take the magazine module, so freeing up space for something else...

Provided one is aware that one is horribly fragile, it seems to be as good a value purchase as any premium can be?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Very good, yes. But like on all DDs: You need detonation flags because DDs easily detonate.

That is very stupid. You have absolutely no right to come here and cry about detonations then.

Please, I have not been rude to anyone. I was posting about my unbelievably unlucky gameplay in the appropriate section. It wasn't crying or moaning, if anything, it was cathartic release.

I certainly don't think my post deserved the condescending and unfriendly response you provided. I have been playing DD's since closed Beta and I am fully aware of how often detonations usually occur; my worst being a run of 7 days where I had one each day - now that sucked. I have made a personal choice not to use the flags because I don't agree with the concept of detonations and usually, they are so infrequent that I can tolerate them. You may have an opinion that I am stupid, but such opinions should be kept to yourself so as to keep this forum a friendly place to frequent.

image.png

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

That rng. Maybe RNGesus is trying to tell you something. 

Wish you could receive the detonation flags multiple times per day. It's the loser reward anyway. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,362 posts
10,835 battles
1 minute ago, stewie533 said:

Wish you could receive the detonation flags multiple times per day. It's the loser reward anyway. 

Shouldn't be a wish as much as it ought to be simply common sense to not gate something like this behind an arbitrary cooldown. Limiting the other signal flags makes sense as you can (and would want to) play to actively get them. Don't think much people had fun if someone decided he needed more AA signal flags and played a dozen games in a AS Saipan to farm Clear Skies.

But detonations ... people don't play to actively get those. And it's no great reward to get one, RNG decided to screw you and you went kablooey from whatever HP you had. Nothing quite like detonating from the very first shell that hits you at the start of the game, yay much engaging, such fun.

Gating those anti-detonation signal flags just reeks of spiteful ignorance. I'm absolutely certain WG is aware of the fact you can only get the detonation reward once every 24hr despite the fact you can obviously detonate more than once in that time period. They're either too lazy to get rid of the cooldown, or simply don't care about the frustration players have when they detonate. I'm strongly leaning towards the latter considering where that whole "fun and engaging game mechanic" BS came from.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

Harekaze won me Rank 1 in the season just gone. But for best results you need a high skill point Aki captain as the B Hull/4-10 Hull is the only real choice.

Beware as Harekaze has awful HP so she takes no prisoners.

Meh OP. I got detonated in my Gremy then Nikolai once. Within minutes of each other. RNG is a cruel mistress... 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
13 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Shouldn't be a wish as much as it ought to be simply common sense to not gate something like this behind an arbitrary cooldown. Limiting the other signal flags makes sense as you can (and would want to) play to actively get them. Don't think much people had fun if someone decided he needed more AA signal flags and played a dozen games in a AS Saipan to farm Clear Skies.

But detonations ... people don't play to actively get those. And it's no great reward to get one, RNG decided to screw you and you went kablooey from whatever HP you had. Nothing quite like detonating from the very first shell that hits you at the start of the game, yay much engaging, such fun.

Gating those anti-detonation signal flags just reeks of spiteful ignorance. I'm absolutely certain WG is aware of the fact you can only get the detonation reward once every 24hr despite the fact you can obviously detonate more than once in that time period. They're either too lazy to get rid of the cooldown, or simply don't care about the frustration players have when they detonate. I'm strongly leaning towards the latter considering where that whole "fun and engaging game mechanic" BS came from.

That's actually a great idea. 10 flags every single time you detonate would help quell the rage...

I've still yet to score a Detonation from a miss too :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Players
2,170 posts
6 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

Yes it's a good ship.

1st hull gun layout it's a Kagero

2nd hull gun layout it's a bit of an Akizuki that can actually manoeuvre with 2 torpedo tube launchers

3rd gun layout it's a bit odd

Plays well and I like it a lot.

As to detonations that's pot luck if you don't use the flags which frankly is a bit silly. Most people despise the detonation mechanic, but selling the flags only hurts you and much more importantly your team, it registers no protest. 

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,080 battles
12 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

Just bought the HSF Harekaze. I have played four games and lost all four. Two of those games ended with detonations. Thank you Wargaming. How to make me feel my money was well spent.

:cap_money::cap_tea::cap_wander:

PFFTH! AMATEUR! :Smile_smile: My personal record is 5 detonations - 5 games in Yugumo. Because, you know... No need to put the flag on because it won't happen again so soon right?:cap_wander_2::etc_swear:

Expanded all the swearwords in several known and a few unknown languages, spilled my coffee (I deeply regret that one) and then switched to Kagero for the rest of the day without further incident (and put on the blasted flag too just for good measure)... :cap_like:

One day I might try and go for 6 - The new record - There should definitely be a "spechul player" award for that. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
651 posts
6,983 battles

I'm grinding the German DD line now and it was noticeable how often I got detonated yesterday.

I play the DD with the detonation flag, but also use some flags to increase chance for fire that has a "penalty" of adding back chance for detonation. With this setup usually I notice one detonation for 10 games that is in line with the increased chances. But yesterday detonation happened in almost all battles - so finally I had to remove the fire chance flags to have at least a decent game without detonation.

I can't stop thinking that WG is still manipulating the "CHANCES" on the server side - maybe it is not a corporate policy just the bored system administrator at the night shift who watches over the activities...?

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,080 battles

Naah! @it3llig3nc3 That's all right dude. It is what it is, sometimes you get many in a row and then nothing for months. After the previous mean streak I had no detonations at all in any ship for 6 months until just last week, when my Kuma joined the IJN "Flying Boat Squadron" in a rather spectacular fashion (I bet the other flying boats were rather surprised to see me up there too though). I have been using both the torp flooding chance AND the fire chance flags simultaneously without the protection and no hassle. Sometimes you just can't get a break when Mr Murphy comes to pay a visit that's all. :Smile_smile:

They could make the explosions a bit more fun and showy tho (a few chuckles never hurt anybody right?). Would love to have seen myself represented by Captain Bad Advise flying like the Baron Munchausen along with those squadrons up there.:cap_haloween:WHEEE!!!

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
43 minutes ago, it3llig3nc3 said:

I can't stop thinking that WG is still manipulating the "CHANCES" on the server side - maybe it is not a corporate policy just the bored system administrator at the night shift who watches over the activities...?

I actually like that idea. Just some angry customer support employee thinking "well [edited]you too buddy" :etc_red_button: *detonation! *

Players
95 posts
10,888 battles

Detonations may be "historically accurate" and "realistic", but realism is one thing, good gameplay quite another. Especially in a game where hydroacoustic search and radar are short duration consumables with a few charges, hydro sounds like active sonar where it was basically a fully passive system you could use as much as you wanted, etc. Clearly realism made way to game mechanics there. I would also argue that this reliance on RNG is just bad game design. Yes, I know, you get flags that prevent it. But to get them you first have to get unlucky.  For example, the last time it happened in my Benson I basically completely outplayed this Aoba, first torping him then switching to AP on the opposite side of his turrets. I'm full health, he's getting wrecked, finally he turns his turrets towards me so I pop smoke and decide to finish him from there. He fires anyway, one shot grazed my stern and my full health Benson detonates. Aoba is left with some 1200 hp after hitting me one time. Did he win in this fight against me? Technically, yes. But it should never have happened. This is completely stupid and unfair, making the guy favored by rng win in a fight where he was clearly outplayed.

Relying on RNG too heavily for anything feels like gambling and is simply bad game design. In the same way that a North Caroline showing me broadside at 10km in my Missouri will one day take 3 citadels and die, and then the next 5 times won't get punished for showing broadside at all and will get away with minimal damage, overpens, shatters and ricochets. Good aiming and good gameplay needs to beat dumb luck with RNG.  Detonations aren't fun and they aren't engaging, they're bad, lazy and infuriating game design that's aimed at people getting so triggered that they go to the premium shop to stock up on a ton of those flags. Just get rid of this dumb mechanic already.