You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
L8viathan

IFHE on T-IX& T-X CAs/CLs

22 comments in this topic

[MORIA]
Players
109 posts
20,676 battles

Cheers All,

Is IFHE on T-IX& T-X CAs/CLs dependent on the nation? If so, which ones do benefit from it? And if there is any statistical/numerical study that shows the rate of damage with&without IFHE in an average game of T-IX& T-X cruisers?

Thanks!:cap_like: 

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
8 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

Is IFHE on T-IX& T-X CAs/CLs dependent on the nation?

No... it is not.

Its usefullnes is dependant on the gun caliber. For example: If you have a ship with 203mm guns, the armor that you can't penetrate without IFHE won't be penetratable with it either. It offers exactly 0 bonuses and it reduces your fire chance.

It's only useful on ships with smaller calibers. Best example being Mogami's 155mm guns, some destroyers such as the Akizuki and certain soviet cruisers.

8 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

And if there is any statistical/numerical study that shows the rate of damage with&without IFHE in an average game of T-IX& T-X cruisers?

I think somebody created a spreadsheet of DPM with and without IFHE in some thread but I can't remember which one.

In other words: If it's a BB or a CA, don't use it

• Cool 1

[TSCC]
Players
1,698 posts
19,168 battles

Currently Dimitry Donskoi yes, HIV maybe but probably no, all others no.

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Players
104 posts
6,514 battles
13 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

Cheers All,

Is IFHE on T-IX& T-X CAs/CLs dependent on the nation? If so, which ones do benefit from it? And if there is any statistical/numerical study that shows the rate of damage with&without IFHE in an average game of T-IX& T-X cruisers?

Going by:

• Your total number of Battles
  • Your 630+ matches in Kutuzov, Belfast and Cleveland
  • And your display picture

I imagine this is a troll post :cap_hmm:

Move along, move along.

• Funny 1

[ELCH]
Players
61 posts
7,886 battles

Just as a reminder, this table does not include the changes to German cruiser HE penetration from 1/6 to 1/4 of caliber that came with 0.6.6, after it was compiled (affected Karlsruhe, Königsberg, Nürnberg, Yorck, Admiral Hipper, Prinz Eugen, Roon and Hindenburg).

In the case of Hipper upwards for example this would allow them to penetrate 50 mm of armor without and 65 mm with IFHE. 50 mm HE penetration already allows you to pen German BB deck armor, Moskva deck and upper belt and Khaba side armor. IFHE on those cruisers would additionally allow you to pen Yamato deck armor and the lower part of some German BB bows. Whether that is worth 4 points is up to you.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles

Doesnt Montana have 38mm upper belt armor? (or even middle deck aswell? not sure atm but it has 38mm somewhere.

I think its the only thing which 203mm without IFHE cant pen, but 203mm with IFHE can.

So in the end = not worth it at all. The next "worthwhile" threshold would be 50mm, but since u cant reach it...

[TOWAR]
[TOWAR]
1,788 posts
6,383 battles
36 minutes ago, ppraet said:

Just as a reminder, this table does not include the changes to German cruiser HE penetration from 1/6 to 1/4 of caliber that came with 0.6.6, after it was compiled (affected Karlsruhe, Königsberg, Nürnberg, Yorck, Admiral Hipper, Prinz Eugen, Roon and Hindenburg).

In the case of Hipper upwards for example this would allow them to penetrate 50 mm of armor without and 65 mm with IFHE. 50 mm HE penetration already allows you to pen German BB deck armor, Moskva deck and upper belt and Khaba side armor. IFHE on those cruisers would additionally allow you to pen Yamato deck armor and the lower part of some German BB bows. Whether that is worth 4 points is up to you.

somewhere along the lines,

People mocked me that I gave IFHE to my nürnberg captain which is now in yorck and will be the captain of hipper and above..

they told me I am a fool to give IFHE to a german CA captain which he will not benefit from it.. and said it would be a total waste of 4 points.

[ELCH]
Players
61 posts
7,886 battles
3 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

People mocked me that I gave IFHE to my nürnberg captain which is now in yorck and will be the captain of hipper and above..

they told me I am a fool to give IFHE to a german CA captain which he will not benefit from it.. and said it would be a total waste of 4 points.

Well, IFHE on Königsberg or Nürnberg is perfectly reasonable, their 150 mm guns profit greatly from it. Since the penetration buff I don't see any particular reason to keep IFHE for Yorck (210 mm) and upward (203 mm). Those 4 skill points are better invested elsewhere.

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
4 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Rule of thumb: IFHE is usefull for gun calibers below 160mm.

Donskoi has 180mm guns and does profit from IFHE.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,312 posts
2,868 battles
2 hours ago, L8viathan said:

Cheers All,

Nation doesn't matter, its usefulness is determined by gun caliber. Basically IFHE is useless on anything with 203mm or above guns, as you won't be able to pierce the armour of your target.

IFHE works best on 150 - 155 mm guns and below.

And of course it goes without saying that don't use it on RN CL's that can only shoot AP. 

This is old but might help explain 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles

What's the deck thickness on Currywurst and Fat Freddy? Is it 50?

If answer is yes, then IFHE on HIV is worth it, because 

240 / 6 = 40

40 x 1.3 = 52

Meaning you can cleanly HE pen German BB decks. 

Same doesn't go for Moskva, as the equation comes out with 47.67 mm's of pen. 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,405 posts
9,965 battles

Hi all,

51 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Donskoi has 180mm guns and does profit from IFHE.

IIRC there was recent discussion about this at Reddit... the common consensus was that "Donskoi" does benefit from IFHE because it allows penetration of US BB decks (30mm without IFHE vs. 39 mm with IFHE)...

Leo "Apollo11"

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles
17 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

IIRC there was recent discussion about this at Reddit... the common consensus was that "Donskoi" does benefit from IFHE because it allows penetration of US BB decks (30mm without IFHE vs. 39 mm with IFHE)...

32mm is a much bigger threshold than 38mm for Montana. Basicly most BB Bows/sterns are 32mm (GK got 32/50mm).

And since donskois only has 30mm pen, it DEFINETELY needs IFHE.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,386 battles
2 hours ago, Excavatus said:

Probably not a total waste, but once you reach Hindenburg, maybe it would be worth dropping it for i.e. Advanced Firing Training to buff your AA bubble radius. (or give 3 for vigilance plus 1 for prevent. maint.).

[TOWAR]
[TOWAR]
1,788 posts
6,383 battles
2 hours ago, ppraet said:

Well, IFHE on Königsberg or Nürnberg is perfectly reasonable, their 150 mm guns profit greatly from it. Since the penetration buff I don't see any particular reason to keep IFHE for Yorck (210 mm) and upward (203 mm). Those 4 skill points are better invested elsewhere.

what about someone said taking IFHE makes you pen Yamato deck..?

Is that true? If that is.. are there any more examples like this or it is just a single instance for IFHE on german cruisers with caliber above 203mm?

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,524 posts
6,992 battles
1 minute ago, Excavatus said:

what about someone said taking IFHE makes you pen Yamato deck..?

Is that true? If that is.. are there any more examples like this or it is just a single instance for IFHE on german cruisers with caliber above 203mm?

You already have more than 50mm "natural" HE penetration on Hipper, Roon and Hindenburg.

It is a total waste of points on all german cruisers.

• Cool 3

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,099 posts
8,500 battles

Im currently on my way to the IFHE Kurfürst secondary build, its gonna be glorious :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
11 hours ago, domen3 said:

If you have a ship with 203mm guns, the armor that you can't penetrate without IFHE won't be penetratable with it either.

US BB 37mm decks :Smile_trollface: probably the only thing you can pen extra as 203s with IFHE

But yeah, as for the topic - you need IFHE up to 194mm guns to pen BB 32mm armour plating (bow/stern), and then I've heard HIVs using it to pen German BB decks or something like that. Generally not much use for it on higher cal cruiser guns