Haruchaze

Tips and resources for a new player

10 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2 posts
38 battles

Hello!

I am a completely new player, I have started playing today. Quickly I have realized that this game seems to be heavily strategic and honestly I don't know much about it since I have just started. Therefore I came here to ask for some tips on how I should play, maybe some video tutorials that people found really good that they could link etc. I mostly have been playing with a Cruiser right now, I am hoping to get decent at it before moving onto another ship time (probably the destroyer next).

Thank you in advance! 

9 answers to this question

[W-C]
Players
632 posts
3,230 battles

And the forums - you're in the right place :Smile_honoring:

For ship tree lines, I find this a good overview (you may have already seen it:

For playstyle in cruisers and DD's, I just have this as a little reminder for myself:

Cruisers:

You are SUPPORT
Stick near battle ships
Always have at least 1 'buddy' nearby to help
Mostly HE
Plan broadside during Enemy BB reloads so you don't get hit by salvo at weakest point
Torps are not for offence - 6km is too close for cruisers!

DD:

You are CAPPING CAPPING CAPPING - gain points here.
Then Spotting
Using torps, try to create 'walls' to disrupt strategic moves
Provide smoke for friendlies

Biggest areas I found to work on (and the sooner learn these the better I think) is:

1) MINIMAP MINIMAP MINIMAP - keep a close eye on it - I've made mine about twice the default size (and very transparent, possibly a mod?). Know where your team are, where they are heading. Know where the (known) reds are. What is their general direction?

2) Tempered aggression - knowing when to break off an engagement (or not start one). He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day (or cap!). Survival isn't everything though - if you can gain a significant advantage for your team, then YOLOing may be the right choice

3) Situational awareness (use with point 1) - Don't stay zoomed in on your target. I found I would shoot then stay zoomed in and watch to see where my shots landed, adjust, shoot again, then find I'd got tunnel vision and missed the DD that popped out from behind the island on my flank! Stay zoomed out, find your top target (cruiser? Prioritise DD's over pretty much anything!), shift>adjust aim>shoot>shift* look around, has your target priority changed. If you need to watch where your shells land, just do a shift>look>shift at the target when you judge the shells are about to hit. Maybe less so in cruisers, but I also find i get too hung up about torps in a DD - in trying to get my torps off in the best spread, i forget my positioning and end up blasted off the map far too often!

4) Don't show broadside - but don't get hung up over this. I figured out that it's not a good thing early on and set myself never to go broadside to the reds... but that isn't possible! Just try to minimise the amount you do it. Angle (not necessarily bow-first. 30 deg is good), zigzag, and adjust speed - you don't need to go full-speed, although I'd advise not to spend too much time below half-speed! Time your broadside (when you need to turn and kite away!) when the fewest reds have a clear shot (use islands) or when you know the BB's are reloading.

Hope this helps a bit - I am very much a noob too so this may not all be the best advice (I'm still very much trying to work it all out!). There will be more experienced sea-faring-folk on here can help you better than me... and as you will discover, if you are keen to learn (you clearly are if you're posting here... +1) and value the advice you are given by the old salts (i.e. not me :Smile_hiding:), they will be very patient and helpful!

Welcome aboard!

*Shift key switches between main camera and binocular mode

p.s. even if you don't plan on playing them to start with, do take the time to read up about the different playstyles of each ship type (and even the nation variations within that, although it's a big project!) - it will help in reading the map and working out where each person is/what they're going to do. e.g. see a DD coming straight for you? You may want to hold fire (unless he's a low-tier KM - they can torp forwards), he'll need to turn broadside to torp you, and that's when you shoot to get most damage!

• Cool 2

Players
623 posts
6,150 battles
8 minutes ago, Haruchaze said:

Hello!

I am a completely new player, I have started playing today. Quickly I have realized that this game seems to be heavily strategic and honestly I don't know much about it since I have just started. Therefore I came here to ask for some tips on how I should play, maybe some video tutorials that people found really good that they could link etc. I mostly have been playing with a Cruiser right now, I am hoping to get decent at it before moving onto another ship time (probably the destroyer next).

Thank you in advance! 

Hello Haruchaze,

There are many videos on youtube but I'm not aware of any that offer advice about playstyles at low tiers. I'm sure someone will correct me soon!

My advice is to not rush up tiers too fast, learn the different ship types (and nations - they all have slight differences in weaknesses and strengths) train captain skills and transfer the captains up rather than starting a new tier with an unskilled captain.

A good place to start looking for basics is http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

It's not always up-to-date and what's there is aimed more at higher tiers, but you gotta start somewhere.

Have fun

• Cool 2

Players
2 posts
38 battles
2 minutes ago, DB2212 said:

Hello Haruchaze,

There are many videos on youtube but I'm not aware of any that offer advice about playstyles at low tiers. I'm sure someone will correct me soon!

My advice is to not rush up tiers too fast, learn the different ship types (and nations - they all have slight differences in weaknesses and strengths) train captain skills and transfer the captains up rather than starting a new tier with an unskilled captain.

A good place to start looking for basics is http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

It's not always up-to-date and what's there is aimed more at higher tiers, but you gotta start somewhere.

Have fun

Thank you for the advice! 

I usually use the Japanese ships but I have been wanting to look into the ones from Germany. I am guessing Commonwealth, Poland and Italy all are for more experienced players? 

I will definitely look into the link it has a lot of useful information from what I have seen right now, thank you!

Players
623 posts
6,150 battles
5 minutes ago, Haruchaze said:

I usually use the Japanese ships but I have been wanting to look into the ones from Germany. I am guessing Commonwealth, Poland and Italy all are for more experienced players? 

I will definitely look into the link it has a lot of useful information from what I have seen right now, thank you!

Personally, I played mostly Japanese when I started. There are many of them to play with, mostly good starting ships of all types. American followed, then Russian. Can't really say I've played many of the other nations. I tried the new releases and didn't find anything I liked at lower tiers, so I didn't pursue those lines much.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

YouTube and Twitch tend to be great help :cap_like:

On YT check The Mighty Jingles (great for beginners and really entertaining), Flamu (great player, not so good attitude), iCahseGaming (great player with far better temper), Notser (well, his older videos mostly, haven't watched him since he started replacing fact with feeeels), Aerroon (great player, quite educational), Farazelleth (everything about carriers), Stragers123 (a bit more advanced, but can explain literally anything) and so many more.

Literally just search for tutorials / guides / specific ships on YT and you'll find a lot of good stuff

As for Twitch - for the big ones it's more or less the same names, but simply tune in whenever you find it comfortable for you and either look at the bigger channels or find someone who you find entertaining to watch. WoWS has a Twitch channel of their own aswell.

(lots of links so ask me if you need them provided - should be easy enough to find)

With any specific questions feel free to ask here in forums, there are people here 24/7 ready to answer more or less any question :cap_haloween:

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
3,067 posts
7,531 battles

OP: welcome!

I would suggest playing as wide a range of ships as you can at lower tiers (no more than T4), to start with. Tiers 1-4 never see worse than +1 opposition (i.e. in a Tier 3, the scariest enemy you'll face is a T4). The usual advice is to start with the Japanese, and US ships (with the UK Battleships being quite friendly too), but you may find you get on better with some of the less obvious nations/lines.

It's probably a good idea to avoid CVs (aircraft carriers) until you've got a good handle on the other classes, as CV gameplay bears very little resemblance to anything else - it's almost a different game.

Play in Co-Op mode (against bots) to get the hang of new ships, and also to research at least some of the upgrades for your ships; playing stock ships, even at lower tiers, against real people (random battles) can be miserable.

Read up on how captains work (and especially their skills - these can make a lot of difference, especially as you advance up the tiers).

Make sure you don't spend doubloons on anything where you don't have to (you'll see that premium consumables can be bought with both doubloons and silver - make sure you always use silver!).

Always ask questions, especially on here - people are always willing to help (just resist the urge to phrase this stuff in terms of 'x just happened to me, ergo the game is broken' - some people tend to react a bit tactlessly to such things) if/when something is puzzling you. If you want to learn, and improve, you already have an advantage over a lot of the the game's population.

Finally, when you get exploded, it's worth sticking around in the game and watching your fellow players a bit (left click switches the view between the various surviving players); there's a good chance you may see something useful, although it make just be useful in the sense of 'you see this? don't do it'...

• Cool 1

Players
763 posts
3,899 battles

There are many things in WoWs to get a grip on.

On 30/01/2018 at 2:16 AM, Haruchaze said:

I mostly have been playing with a Cruiser right now, I am hoping to get decent at it before moving onto another ship time (probably the destroyer next)

First of all. A certain ship type has a LOT of things to get used to. Cruisers usually show their main potential tier 6+. DDs are generally also harder and require a higher skill ceiling. BBs (Battleships) are easier to play, so if cruisers arent working well for you, I would recommend you try to get a Battleship and then work on your aim. Destroyers, you need to be able to use your Torpedoes and guns in a constant manner and also not rush or get sunk immediately DDs in EVERY match are the Most important ships and require to be alive if one wants to win. Carriers are VERY hard to play and also are EVEN more so at tier 6+. But You are still free to go your own pace and way.

On 30/01/2018 at 2:16 AM, Haruchaze said:

Quickly I have realized that this game seems to be heavily strategic and honestly I don't know much about it since I have just started.

True. But at your tier range, say Tier1-4? its not to challenging, but at Tier 4, you need to know about proper positing, where to go, what and how you should play, support or lead the charge, All of this requires proper timing and its hard to get good immediately. Usually over time you can decide properly and do well...

If you are gonna start with Destroyers, I would recommend the US DDs or Russian DDs.

--->

If you are gonna try Battleships

---> 

If you are gonna try CVs (IF) Ask your questions here

Welcome and Hope you enjoy the game :Smile_honoring:

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
16,579 battles
On 29/01/2018 at 10:16 PM, Haruchaze said:

Hello!

Thank you in advance! 

Hey Haruchaze.... I have played a lot of low tier DD's and have multiple videos that will (while not instructional in nature) will show you the best methods of utilizing DD torpedoes to their maximum effect....  feel free to pop in and take a look www.playships.co.uk  hope some of my stuff may help you out.... otherwise feel free to pop onto our Teamspeak  server and one of the guys will take you under their wing and teach you the basics....

Players
1,059 posts
7,748 battles
On 30.1.2018 at 12:42 AM, Haruchaze said:

Commonwealth, Poland and Italy don't have any free ships for you to play yet. USA gets a cruiser line change later this year, so it would be good for you to have tier 6 Cleveland in your port, and then possibly tier 8 New Orleans if you manage to get that far in the line. Optimally, you should have both Cleveland and New Orleans in your port when the split happens, but you can get at least Cleveland. Don't rush it with free xp, just play normally. It's not likely to happen this month yet.

Sign in to follow this