You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Antony1953

Why do ships keep vanishing?

6 comments in this topic

Question

Players
114 posts
15,398 battles

The title says it all. Ever since I started playing 16 months ago there has always been the problem of ships that disappear while you are fighting them. It has nothing to do with smoke or fog or poor weather or being out of range. It seems to be much worse over past few months and the reason I ask now is that recently we have lost a number of battles solely because the final ship that needs to be sunk has just vanished off our screens. Today all we had to do was sink the carrier to win. Three of us were shooting at it and it was down to the last bit of health and then it just faded out of view and none of us could destroy it in time, it vanished for all 3 of us. I was so close I fired torps at it but the game cheated us as usual and we lost the fight.

By the way I only play in co-op.

I've checked forums but can't find a reason for this. It is now happening many  times in a day of battles and can happen with any type of ship. I play around 30-50 battles a day as I'm retired.

Can any one tell me if this is normal these days. It isn't just me as others in the team at the time have the same problem. It's becoming so bad that I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and un-installing

5 answers to this question

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,595 battles
1 hour ago, Antony1953 said:

Today all we had to do was sink the carrier to win. Three of us were shooting at it and it was down to the last bit of health and then it just faded out of view and none of us could destroy it in time, it vanished for all 3 of us. I was so close I fired torps at it but the game cheated us as usual and we lost the fight.

Could you possible share a replay of this game, or any other example of the problem please?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

12 thousand battles, never heard of detection..

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Antony1953 said:

It's becoming so bad that I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and un-installing

I have a feeling this is a failed case already, please make the communities average IQ go up a few points by doing so :fish_palm:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,736 posts
6,135 battles

HI @Antony1953

In Co-OP battles (which is almost all of your 12k), the red team tends to advance towards the enemy at all times, which means that the normal behaviour for both observing and learning about the detection mechanics of the game do not function - "once spotted always spotted unless/untill sunk".

What happened in this instance, judging from your post, is that the AI controlled CV actually tried to evade the attacking ships, most CV's above T5 are actually quite quick and it sounds like it moved out of spotting/detection range. WG have improved the AI in a recent release, which is what this will be.

[HOO]
Players
1,312 posts
2,871 battles

I think I understand what you are asking @Antony1953.

For you to actually see a ship rendered on your screen, it has to be detected by someone on your team, This I assume you already know.

However .... (and I think this is the answer to what you are seeing)

The game engine doesn't continually check if you or a target ship is detected. I assume this is because the actually logic (coding) is time consuming. So the game engine seems to run a check, every few cycles, maybe every second or so. The result of this is an apparent delay in a target appearing, and in it disappearing after it goes undetected. I see regular instances of enemy ships appearing to blink out of view. I can be shooting them and they disappear for a short while  usually no more than a second, only to suddenly reappear again.