You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
theta0123

Convince me to go Soviet DDs

35 comments in this topic

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
4,788 battles

I never liked soviet ships. Even have some hatred towards them. Especially Kutuzov and Khabarovsk. Yet i find a huge urge, to play more DD then BB for a while. I already got the gearing, japanese DDs dont really intrest me. The german Z 46 is almost in my port. 

I need something new. And the grozovoi... looks like a fair ship to play with. 

So how does this tech tree works? Am i a gunboat? A destroyer hunter? 

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,080 battles

They have the best guns and speed? In Soviet Russia, DD kill Cruiser and not the other way around... :Smile_great:

• Funny 2

[DREAD]
Players
7,169 posts
5,658 battles

Gunboats. But I am a history buff so the Soviet fantasy fleet is rather unattractive to me. The ships are pretty good though, like small cruisers with railguns and without citadel. Playing them from time to time but not in a rush. Have fun

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,732 posts
6,135 battles

Soviet DD's are like the ultimate kiting machines, just keep blatting away and hope that your kiting keeps you safe from hostile intentions as the torps are very short ranged up to the T8's (Leningrad/Gremy excluded).

Players
520 posts
1,758 battles

Better concealment and access to defensive AA, also slightly faster shells if I am not mistaken.

If you have no problem with trading concealment and maneuvrability for speed and raw gunpower, sure, go for it.

But if you really want the Grozovoi, be prepared for the "glorious" Ognevoi on tier 8.

• Cool 1

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
4,788 battles
1 minute ago, Colonel_Radec said:

Better concealment and access to defensive AA, also slightly faster shells if I am not mistaken.

If you have no problem with trading concealment and maneuvrability for speed and raw gunpower, sure, go for it.

But if you really want the Grozovoi, be prepared for the "glorious" Ognevoi on tier 8.

Seems like you convinced me. And i already have a 10 point captain leftover from selling a kutuzov i got from a container. So i can immediatly start

[MORIA]
Players
109 posts
20,662 battles

You hate some of the best ships in the game "Khaba and Kutu" :) Khaba is "THE" DD in T10 DD line. Others just follow. Then, of course it totally depends on your play style. Do what i did, get all T10 DDs and choose one according to your daily mood :)

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,385 battles
11 minutes ago, theta0123 said:

What advantages does the Grozovoi have over khabarovsk? Minus lower detection range

What @Colonel_Radec said plus better torpedoes.

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,287 posts
7,595 battles

chat bitching about not spotting and not contesting caps in your Khabarovsk is priceless and never gets old

• Cool 2

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,524 posts
6,992 battles
25 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Gunboats. But I am a history buff so the Soviet fantasy fleet is rather unattractive to me. The ships are pretty good though, like small cruisers with railguns and without citadel. Playing them from time to time but not in a rush. Have fun

B-but soviet DDs aren't pure fantasy ! They have an italian ship, and a russian-built copy of Capitani Romani !

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
5,233 posts
2,939 battles
2 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

B-but soviet DDs aren't pure fantasy ! They have an italian ship, and a russian-built copy of Capitani Romani !

Well actually, they have an Italian ship, a derivation of an Italian, two Italian blueprinted ships with Italian elements, ships derived from ships derived from Italian ships, a fictional copy of an Italian esploratori, and the derpzki supergroup.

Ah, AND Grovoi. No idea what the hell is this thing.

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,080 battles

Weel Guys, Gnevnyi class of destroyers DID actually exist and were known to be very good and tough destroyers during the war providing sterling service on all seas. Probably not embued with the same superpowers that in this game tho. Just Good ole' fashioned DD's and that's all. Leningrad, Tashkent, Udaloi and the others also are loosely (VERY) based on real ships. So they are not pure fantasy, however their gun statistics and speed is of course sheer BS "for gaming purposes" only. But then again, hey it is good to see that the much vaunted Soviet bias is alive and well. As far as I am concerned the DD line is fine (since, you know, most of them actually existed in some form or another). :Smile_Default:

Of course, quite a few of the Soviet Cruiser line are pure paper ships that were never launched but at the least Comrade Stalin did have a good and lively imagination and some fantastical technical visionary artists. That's something to go on. :cap_haloween:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,711 posts
16,313 battles
44 minutes ago, theta0123 said:

What advantages does the Grozovoi have over khabarovsk? Minus lower detection range

Grozovoi is a good gun boat that is also a  good Cap/torpedo boat. she can Also Feast on planes. 26 AA kills my top

Players
4,295 posts
11,813 battles

They still aren't my cup of tea. Have grinded it uptill Kiev. Trashcant research I got for free and bought it on sale. Never played the thing. I like the DD "mental warfare" play and I can't find this in the IMO 1 trick ponies: pewpewing with mach 5 and being a PIA.

[TTT]
Players
1,382 posts
8,806 battles

High-Tier you got 2 fantastic DDs - Udaloi and Khabarovsk. They really shine and if you can Play them; you got insane results.

Kiew, Tashkent and Grozo are also really good, but a bit worse then Udaloi and Khabarovsk. Whenever i want to have fun - i play them!

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Ogni at T8 is viable, build the captain and shop like a Torp Boat with Torp Acceleration and Concealment then you're away.

The line doesn't really take off until T8 for me.

Lenin is a crazy ship as you can do almost 50 knots with speed boost and flag. Plus you have 8 good torps for T7.  The ability to flank torp in her is crazy and you can still outgun many DDs who try to intercept you.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,732 posts
6,135 battles
35 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Lenin is a crazy ship as you can do almost 50 knots with speed boost and flag. Plus you have 8 good torps for T7.  The ability to flank torp in her is crazy and you can still outgun many DDs who try to intercept you.

Concealment isn't bad either 

[AAO]
Players
2,134 posts
10,657 battles
1 hour ago, theta0123 said:

e. And i already have a 10 point captain leftover from selling a kutuzov i got from a container.

So, eh... nobody commented on this one. Ok...

Can you give us your thought process behind that sell? I'm quite curious.

• Funny 1

Players
126 posts
6,714 battles

RU DDs are the only DD where standard battle is fun.

For instance: The Glorious Leningrad. Equip it with the 3 minute Speed Boost upgrade. Sail towards enemy on a flank until a BB is just within your gun range (You'll want AFT btw, stealth is for filthy western capitalists), start to turn away,  hit speed boost and open up with the guns. You now commence spotting as half the enemy team returns fire revealing their positions.

You then take evasive action and rack up the potential damage as an evasion tank. The more they shoot at you, the less they shoot at your team. It's also great fun. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
21 minutes ago, philjd said:

Concealment isn't bad either 

Yah it's actually good for T7. Only IJN stuff and that PA one besting her.

15 minutes ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

RU DDs are the only DD where standard battle is fun.

For instance: The Glorious Leningrad. Equip it with the 3 minute Speed Boost upgrade. Sail towards enemy on a flank until a BB is just within your gun range (You'll want AFT btw, stealth is for filthy western capitalists), start to turn away,  hit speed boost and open up with the guns. You now commence spotting as half the enemy team returns fire revealing their positions.

You then take evasive action and rack up the potential damage as an evasion tank. The more they shoot at you, the less they shoot at your team. It's also great fun. 

That's one way of playing Lenin but she fits into the traditional DD role too. Sadly from playing both I finally feel like Lenin is better than Blys. Because of torps and speed advantages.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,206 posts
8,367 battles

The problem with Khaba is that if you find yourself as the only DD in a domination match you are pretty sc*eved.

The line is fun ... Derzki at T3 is a funny little ship, so unique that you have to keep it.

The Izy is powerful with his guns and is close to Clemson level.

Gnevny is ok, but the slow turrets are something I hate. But its the first DD you can actually citadel low armored cruisers. 

Kiev is an insanely strong ship, but has similar problem as the Khaba.

One ship I also like is the Ognevoi. 

Its basically IJN DD (torpedo boat) with laser accurate guns, but it only has 2 turrets (4 guns).

Currently I can buy Udaloi and it is supposed to be a decent ship.

Overall the line is fun. Actually its pretty fun and consistent.