You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Excavatus

What statistics tell?

62 comments in this topic

1,788 posts
6,394 battles

Dear salty ladies and gentelmen of the world of warships! (salty because sea.. not because watching all the team camping behind an island size of a matchbox!)

For some of you know, I am a cruious bob who likes to learn and learn! (but I can't.. :P)

and I love numbers.. statistics.. I love analyzing them..

I check my stats after every daily session of WOWs and try to analyze that.

I did that in WOT for over 2 years and always thought numbers are good to deduce some good and bad things.

Help with the progress of the improvement of one's self skill cap!

Anyway, This morning, I've just realised, with some of the numbers, I don't know what to make of them because I don't have anything to compare them in general.

and decided to help some of the bobs out there just like me, in the way of feeding my curiosity.

I know what the damage numbers mean, I know what to do with WTR and WR, but can you give me some meaning for the following numbers and some comments on mine especially.

What do they mean? I mean in gameplay wise...

My general survival rate is, %35,17 and my last 21 days (270 battles) survival rate is %45,19.

What do I make with these?

Are they low? am I playing too YOLO? or are they high? am I playing too cautious? holding miself back?

What do you think that a good survival rating should be? in battleships, DDs, Cruisers.. etc?

My main battery accuracy is %27,94

My torpedo accuracy is %7,71

They seem very low to me.. are they low really?

I am spotting 1,04 ships in total average and 1,15 ships in 21 day average.. low, high? any relation with my survival rating?

1095 xp average in general and 1464 xp in 21 days average.. does this number includes bonus from premium acc or premium ships? because this is the time I bought Graf Spee roughly..

I really believe, watching one's own replays and analyzing own stats is the very basic first step of the stairway to improvement. (Led zeppelin style!)

Cheers caps..

PS: I may be totally missing or not looking for more important stats. Please feel free to check them..

https://wows-numbers.com/player/512538544,Excavatus/

and bash them If needed in the road of enlightment.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,067 posts
15,733 battles
45 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

My general survival rate is, %35,17 and my last 21 days (270 battles) survival rate is %45,19.

Survival rate doesn't really matter, if your sacrifice means your team wins it's a sacrifice worth making.

They're fine. Main battery hit rate usually revolves around 30% even for the best players. Never seen a torp hitrate over 10% either (for those that actually play torpedo reliant ships).

I am spotting 1,04 ships in total average and 1,15 ships in 21 day average.. low, high? any relation with my survival rating?

Spotting is dependent on the class you're playing. With CVs and DDs it is expected that you spot, so you should have higher ratings here. Some cruisers can spot depending on the situation, too, but it's hazardous to say the least.

1095 xp average in general and 1464 xp in 21 days average.. does this number includes bonus from premium acc or premium ships? because this is the time I bought Graf Spee roughly.

Yes and no. Statistics only show base exp, however all ships have individual base exp earning multipliers. I have no idea if Graf Spee base exp earnings are higher than average.

Remember that no individual statistic is all important. It's a combination of all of them if you want to accurately assess your performance.

Though as far as I can see you're steadily improving on all relevant fronts. I'd say that's a good sign. :)

You could post a couple of replays here if you want more experienced players to look at them and get a second opinion.

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles

WR is the only general number that says something.

If you want to go into specific numbers, you have to look at the ship class or even specific ships.

Survival rates are completly different when playing DD, BB or CV.

• Cool 2

1,788 posts
6,394 battles
12 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

You could post a couple of replays here if you want more experienced players to look at them and get a second opinion.

I did that before and very happy with the comments I've got here.

Now with the ships I am playing, I know what to do... the only problem for me is utilizing that knowledge or not :)

But be sure that whenever I encounter a new ship I manage to suck hard I will scream for help immediately.

and while we are on the subject, not to dreail my own topic but.. What can you say about the Yorck?

I haven't decided yet to love or hate that ship... still only have a handful battles in her and she still have the stock hull.. I couldnt figure out what are her strenghts and weaknesses..

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles

Tough ship, but hard to play.

For some reason she got slow AP shells that a hard to use after 10km. Which is bad at Tier VII. HE is ok.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,410 posts
14,619 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Statistics only show base exp

+ Premium time bonus. One of those :facepalm: WG development decisions.

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,461 posts
17,922 battles
2 hours ago, Excavatus said:

What do I make with these?

Your survival rate is risign what is probably a good sign. Dead player can't impact end game and every friendly ship sunked subtracts from team point score. The better You play, the more you can influence battle while still managing to last as long as possible. Of course it does not means camping, but having almost 0 XP often is better to hide and seek stealthy opportunities to do  DMG/spotting/capping, then just vanish your ship. That is especially important when playing DD.

A lot of games are won by score, so every ship and cap point counts.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
1,670 posts
9,933 battles

as long as your 1, 7 and 21 day results are better than your overall you're doing something right, you average damage and PR are both way higher...

• Cool 1

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

About survival, yeah surviving is good and bla bla bla.

2 or 3 days ago I got called out on the chat because I died in 3-4 minutes (While playing DM) There was a cap with only 4 enemy ships and I rushed in (alone), took down a full Gearing and crippled a Hinden, almost 2 tier 10 ships down, Iowa player on my team started to put BS into the chat while going all around the map. Game finished in around 15 minutes, I was first by xp, playing less than a third of the game, less than a fifth if you consider the time to engage the enemy. 

TL;DR: Dont be afraid to go in a no return attack if you can give a huge advantage to your team (+It's fun to b!tchslap your enemy with an amazing DPM)

Imo the only important stat is WR: How much you can carry

Average dmg: Good luck triying to have the same with Z or Gearing than a Mongueror farming BBs.

Survival: Go for CVs or camp far away.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,099 battles

Yeah, I have noticed the same about DM, I configured mine for Radar and hydro (DD hunting). So I always try to closely follow the DD to cap, hope they smoke me and if not die horribly, but always trying to close support the cap. I usually get the enemy DD, if any are there and we will get the cap most times. Then reverse away and hope they stop plastering me before I sink. This has produced some reasonably good results so far (only 10 games played so still learning tho), but of course that is all situational and the end result varies wildly. Though, DM is a powerful ship and dying too early will limit the damage you can do so of course, survival is always preferable. One just has to pick his fights carefully that's all.:cap_hmm:

Players
535 posts
6,309 battles

PR is absolutely single most accurate number to see if you are good and than in progress are you doing better or worse day by day and than 7 days and 30 days and so on ...

York is somehow older ship to play it don't act like new cruisers like lets say RU Budy or Schors or Cleveland but it have great armor and hydro, when you get to Hipper you will like it because it act like modern new cruisers with first sign of trol armor :) but guns are slow to reload and WG is trolling it because they want you to convert xp to get to Roon which is like 300% better and from there on you will enjoy playing cruisers ;)   ( hint, just get range module and start farming and burning but be of use if your dds need help or to help to contest and protect cap, for that hydro will be of great help - it is best multirole ship in game - Roon and ofc Hindi)  

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,529 posts
19,238 battles

What can you say about the Yorck?

Use mostly HE, AP has a very slow speed so it can be used only from under 8-9 km. Has somehow decent armor so you can try to yolotorp a BB, because with a good angling can stand 1 BB salvo, especially same or lower tier.

Players
655 posts
7,982 battles

The difference between ordinary play and exceptional play is usually nothing more than quite subtle decisions. Finishing that turn before you expose youreself by opening fire. Keeping track of the minimap even when things get hectic. Using cover to block return fire when facing multiple ships. Not missing. It all adds up. 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles
12 minutes ago, Cime said:

PR is absolutely single most accurate number to see if you are good and than in progress are you doing better or worse day by day and than 7 days and 30 days and so on ...

York is somehow older ship to play it don't act like new cruisers like lets say RU Budy or Schors or Cleveland but it have great armor and hydro, when you get to Hipper you will like it because it act like modern new cruisers with first sign of trol armor :) but guns are slow to reload and WG is trolling it because they want you to convert xp to get to Roon which is like 300% better and from there on you will enjoy playing cruisers ;)   ( hint, just get range module and start farming and burning but be of use if your dds need help or to help to contest and protect cap, for that hydro will be of great help - it is best multirole ship in game - Roon and ofc Hindi)  

PR is too damage centric.

Damage farmers get good PR and people who play to win get worse scores.

• Cool 5

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,405 posts
9,965 battles

HI all,

12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Yep - I agree 100%! :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

[NSVE]
Players
176 posts
9,173 battles

To quote Mark Twain;

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Just don't go statistic chasing too much or you'll lose heart in the game. Measure your performance on how much you enjoy playing. I get more pleasure from a hard fought loss than an easy win.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

and while we are on the subject, not to dreail my own topic but.. What can you say about the Yorck?

I haven't decided yet to love or hate that ship... still only have a handful battles in her and she still have the stock hull.. I couldnt figure out what are her strenghts and weaknesses..

It's very much an oddity in the line. You're best off simply forgetting that you have AP unless you're very close because of how slow its shells are. Play it as an HE spammer for the most part, start off by staying at range (not too far away though!) and use your pretty good maneuverability to dodge incoming fire. Move up in the later parts of the game, or if your side is pushing, and only then should you start to think about using your 1 key. If you happen to get a flat cruiser or battleship fairly close (as in under 10km, perhaps even closer than that) then certainly load AP, but don't expect to be doing any big volleys at any sort of range like you can in the later ships in the line. Make sure you've always got team mates around you so that you aren't focused and just generally don't overextend in it. At the end of the day, I'm not going to lie, I simply didn't like the ship. It's not great. Loved every other ship in the line starting from T5 right through to T10, but not the Yorck!

Also, your last 21 days look excellent! Keep it up. :)

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,736 posts
6,135 battles
4 hours ago, Excavatus said:

Dear salty ladies and gentelmen of the world of warships! (salty because sea.. not because watching all the team camping behind an island size of a matchbox!)

I am spotting 1,04 ships in total average and 1,15 ships in 21 day average.

1095 xp average in general and 1464 xp in 21 days average.. 

Mine as a comparison (overall/last 21 days):-

Survival - 31%/40%

Main battery - 32%

Torp - 6%

Spotting - 1.85/1.55

I will also chuck these in.

Average damage - 37.8k/46.1k

Average Tier played - 6.0/7.4

You have a better survival rate than I have in both measures although we have both 'improved' that - I know that I am too aggressive and am consciously trying to dial that back. As mentioned, yes you can do the glorious sacrifice for the team, which is worth it in some situations, but on balance, the longer you are alive and being effective the better.

Main battery accuracy - I hit more than you do, but that may be because of differing classes played - cruisers have good accuracy, BB's not so, plus it is also linked to aggressive play (close up and personal combat).

Torps - people tend to shoot off in area denial/speculative, plus they are also fairly hard to hit with. No idea what is good, but previous poster stated that even the best do not get past 10%, so that may be a good objective to try for.

Spotting - shows me being aggressive and also DD use with a small measure of CV (very small)

XP - I have ignored this, as it does include apparently premium account bonus, so is not a level playing field.

Average damage (and average tier) - a lot of people use this for comparison/performance purposes - but it is very dependent upon what tiers you play. So for me, although my average damage has risen by a startling 22% over the last 3 weeks, actually, with the higher average tiers played I am actually not achieving more relative damage, so have I improved at all? :) At this point, I will chuck in the winrate, overall is 55.8%, but for the last 21 days it is 63.3% for 200 games. So, the cynic says that it's a lucky streak (a very large one!) but the positive argument is that although I am not doing more damage, the damage that I am doing is more effective in helping the win.

I like stats analysis also :)

• Cool 1

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles

@ExcavatusWinrate is the most important stat for seeing how good you are. But it's also the least accurate stat. It takes a lot of games for it to be even remotely accurate. With your 1000+ games played it's only just starting to be somewhat reliable. The problem is that there are so many things out of your control that's affecting winrate. It's also completely binary; you either win or you lose. It's kinda like if damage was either your max or zero in all matches.

Survival rate is often more of an indication of how you play rather than how good you are. What matters is how and why you die or survive.

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,461 posts
17,922 battles

Every of us has a different strategy and respective stats. As long as WR and PR is high and it works ex. in playing ranked it's all good. My strategy in cruiser play, is too keep enough distance to make consistant DMG, but preserve HP pool. A lot of opponents are weaker players, so why give them a chance to hit me ? Of course when fighting DD or weaker tragets I close up

My accuraccy is often 25%, but when I do 2x,3x times more DMG then my HP and WR is rising, then it works. So I see accuracy as not a big deal. The most important to me in cruiser play is to outplay enemy beeing as close to him as possible, but in range whey you can still evade shots. This range varies from target od course. Minimal to DD - 5 km (torps !), to  most cruisers 12 km, to BB 14 km.

Here last game with Aoba vs VIII tier. Lost, but I can did nothing about it, beeing especially the most squishy ship. Still I was the last one on the battle area, doing his job all the time firing on flank vs Atago, Alegerie and Bismarck. And that flank was stopped completely. Low accuracy is not becouse I was camping, but I was kiting most shells on survivable distance. Closing to weaker targets - DD, but keeping distance to bullies. So when you look at accuraccy of those guys firing at me - it would be a few percent. Of course I could have even 50% accuracy and RIP but I would never manage to did such amount of DMG to many targets and prevent our base to be capped and defend it to the last. I survived and they won on points.

shot-18_01.29_10_47.42-0635.thumb.jpg.9a7121996c6ead017b08519db0232a05.jpg

shot-18_01.29_11_10.52-0104.thumb.jpg.353b1ad342322ee676b53dc1d225e337.jpg

shot-18_01.29_11_15.47-0062.thumb.jpg.e551af3d69044af68872011712b2ebcc.jpg

Players
535 posts
6,309 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Ok it is but WR is than more RNG than real statistic because you and even your div teammates can do all great and you will lose if you get team of potato, yesterday 231.000 with Hindi with Hi-cal, conf, dreadn, Witherer, and some else and ofc its a defeat, my teammate did also 150k I got core 1700xp in lost and second in wining team got 1450, first was around 2000xp ..

And when I was grinding for Montana - I suck at her badly and it was mostly wins, even got a lot of 23-30k victory's

so WR is ...  bs

[BUSHI]
Players
3,461 posts
17,922 battles
9 minutes ago, Cime said:

(...)

so WR is ...  bs

Not exactly. A lot of games you really can't win - especially on IX/X. But when a lot of us having a few thousend games  and beeing close to 60% playing solo, then it could not be true.

The simplest patent is to always shoot at DD first - even playing BB and go for objectives. Damage farmed on enemy BB, most the times is a time waste, when looking how it is affecting WR.

Players
1,132 posts
9,222 battles

WR might also give a wrong picture of how good a player is since he may play in 3man divisions 99% of the time. 

So his overall WR might be around 70% but his solo winrate at 50%. Is he a superunicum player as his WR suggests? No most certainly not. 

Same goes for PR imo, last time I encountered a player who was very bad in a T9 bb. So I looked up his stats and to my surprise he was a 'superunicum' PR player.

"What the ****?!?!" But then I looked more closely and the guy had played 10.000 battles in the umikaze. Lol! So stats can be misleading. 

Players
535 posts
6,309 battles

so tell me how you can win if DD's di in yolo action in 2 min of game or don't want to cap or BB's are to afraid to take damage and protect cruisers and dd's or you have potato t10 cv and so on - maybe before 1 - 1.5y it was true but ATM it is RNG..   

Ok by WR you can differ unicom form normal and normal from potato -- 60% or above will mosty be a better player than 53%   and 53% will be better than 42%, but even than for example in 3 of 10 times I'll do better than my unicom teammate form clan and I'am about 53 and he is 60 with all purple unicom stat's on all ships in all aspect and mostly me, him and 1 more with 58% wr will mostly win only if 3 of us destroy more than 7-8 ships together ..

• Cool 1