Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sargento_YO

More CV ideas, this time from an experienced CV captain.

10 comments in this topic

[ESPA]
Players
1,219 posts
7,034 battles

Given the amount of ideas that some people (even ones which barely played CVs at all, and most of them reduces to "nerf carriers asap") are throwing here I thought perhaps I could give some ideas as well:

- Fighters should be able to strafe ships.

Historically fighters used to do that in WWII. They should be able to damage dds and lightly armoured cruisers (for perhaps 2500 of damage or so?). Also it would be useful against heavily armoured cruisers and battleships (although they should do no HP damage to them) because in all cases they could take out AA guns (specially those which doesn't have armour, like open topped cannons and all machineguns which aren't in turrets). The chance of taking out AA guns should be RNG based. Also the attack should be treated like a regular strafe, that means, a long time which you can't order your fighters to move away and they use the same amount of ammo.
Perhaps DD captains would complain about that (they are complaining alot about having no defences against carriers) but imagine a carrier captain which abuses the strafe to ships mechanism and runs out of ammo on it's fighters when the enemy fighters appears these would be defenseless and unable to protect their attack planes. Also the target ship should take less damage if it's facing bow/stern against the fighters than if gets himself attacked from it's broadside.

- Tier IX and X carriers should have optional access to torpedo planes which makes twice the damage than previous ones.

Yeah, but there are two catches here: First the torpedoes would be heavier, which means the planes fly slower (- 10 to 20 knots or so) when loaded. Also if you chose this option you will have one less squad of torpedo planes (although not sure how that would work on Essex, but Midway would have only 1 torpedo bomber squad and Taiho/Hakuryu only 2 squads). The idea behind this is that the planes, although would strike harder they would be more vulnerable to AA fire (one by being slower, and another one because each plane lost will "hurt" more. If 4 planes are shoot down in the process you will lose 2/3 of the potential damage in the case of 3 squads, and half of the potential damage in the case of 2 (but with twice the damage in both situations you get the same damage potential).  It's a matter of having the option of slightly change the gameplay. High damage torpedo planes would be more vulnerable to each shoot down, by AA or enemy fighters, but if you manage to take your planes safely to the target then you will be rewarded by a possible higher damage. Also that setup would be different for DDs and Cruisers because there would be less torpedoes attacking them and from less sides (Midway wouldn't be able to do anvil attacks on them) but if they screw up in manoeuvring a single torpedo will hurt much more.

- Dive bombers should have the chance to carry 1 very heavy bomb or 2 medium/3 small ones.

In WWII dive bombers used to carry different kinds and amount of bombs.
Think about the scenario where you can chose the payload of HE bombs (perhaps of AP bombs as well): Each dive bomber can carry either 1 bomb which has a max of 10.000 of damage (like tier VIII / IX and X US carriers) with it's current (and horrible) accuracy. Or 2 bombs of 5.000 of dmg, which are more accurate. Or 3 bombs of 2.600 max (Like Kaga´s with it's same high accuracy). That would give you an interesting range of choices in different scenarios (and actually make dive bombers fun to play with, so far only high tier USN carriers have fun with them). The ideal scenario would be to be able to switch payloads in the middle of the battle.
Perhaps 1.000 lb bombs would be restricted only to USN tier VIII+ carriers. And Japanese tier VIII+ carriers would have access to 2 bombs of 7.500 and 3 of 5.000 with the same accuracy than the previous ones.

- Carrier captains should be able to manually use their cannons but fires and plunging fire would be much dangerous.

In theory carriers can't use their cannons because DDs wouldn't be able to get close to them (a developer said something like that). Well, the idea is to be able to use them (sometimes they would be very useful. And a player which runs out of planes could always use them as a last resource, at least giving the illusion that a carrier can save itself from that chasing battleship, shooting it´s guns and praying for set at least a fire on that ship). BUT if the carrier has planes on it's deck these could be destroyed by plunging fire (RNG based?) also if there are planes on it's deck and the central section catches fire the planes would be damaged (like if it's under an AA aura) and eventually destroyed. Even worse, if there are serviced bombers on it's deck their destruction would make it's payload to detonate damaging the carrier! That would force the carrier player to only use it's cannons as a last resource option.
Perhaps there should be an option to place all the deck planes back into the hangar to prevent losing them, but there would be a time penalty to do that (the same time penalty like if the entire squad was destroyed).
Also, planes should be able to land and take off while the carrier it's on fire. But if the fire it's on the stern of the ship then there should be a RNG chance that each plane that tries to land would crash due the fire/smoke.

- Being able to change how many planes you have in the reserve hangar.
But no more than a 50% from the original loadout on each plane. Say... You take an AS Ryujo which has a reserve of 14 fighters, 4 Dive bombers and 6 Torpedo bombers. (24 planes). You could change that loadout and take (max) 2 dive bombers and 3 torpedo bombers to have a total of 19 fighters, 2 DB and 3 TB. Or perhaps take a max of 7 fighters and have 7 FG, 5 DB and 9 TB.
That would give you an interesting choice to fine tune your carrier according to your play style.

Perhaps these ideas needs some of fine tuning, but I think it they would bring more interesting options WITHOUT making them OP or nerfing them.

Again I apologize for my bad English.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,066 posts
15,733 battles
2 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

Boy, no. We have noob traps in the form of captain skills already. We don't need mechanical ones, too.

- Tier IX and X carriers should have optional access to torpedo planes which makes twice the damage than previous ones.

Don't see why this is needed, really. CVs do plenty of damage against exposed targets already (which are the only targets a CV can attack anyway). No need to overdo it.

- Dive bombers should have the chance to carry 1 very heavy bomb or 2 medium/3 small ones.

I would much rather WG rework DB usage to make them skill based. That alone would close the gap between USN and IJN in terms of raw damage potential.

- Carrier captains should be able to manually use their cannons but fires and plunging fire would be much dangerous.

Forcing CV players to play more passive with their hull is a bad idea. Most CVs stupidly move themselves to the map border already. Or don't move at all.

Besides, I don't see the point in terms of balance. A caught CV should have little chance to defend itself considering that it is a severe misplay.

There will always be an optimal loadout with extremely small leeway as CV play in itself has very little individuality. Adjusting the fixed reserves according to that would be much better as it prevents this from becoming a potential noob trap.

There is no "I prefer to play with fighters, thus I want more of them" or such. You either can play and have a sufficient number of reserves available or you don't. Nothing exists in between. Kaga e.g. is a prime example for that compared to Hiryu. Horrible air control but ludicrous strike potential, presenting a great example of everything that is currently wrong with CV play.

• Cool 2

Players
161 posts
9,012 battles
4 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

Sorry, nope. Your fighters should already be overloaded with all the stuff you need to do, such as : spotting enemy ships and torpedoes, denying the enemy planes from spotting your ships, preventing your ships from getting striked by the enemy CV, and engaging enemy fighters. But, seriously, I feel like i don't have enough fighters to do stuff, how can you suggest another feature to fighters? I think you're not using your fighters enough for giving your team an advantage. You need fighters for AIR CONTROL. If you give them a damage function, then it will simply turn fighters into a noob trap which they'll use it to attack enemy ships instead of protecting their team...

There is absolutely no need for this.

No more RNG to dive bombs please.

Giving this option to the players will make them abuse it hard, like really really hard. Instead, WG should come up with better adjustments to the planes in the reserve.

[ESPA]
Players
1,219 posts
7,034 battles
25 minutes ago, SgtTincan said:

copy the old navyfield CV system and be done with it

It would be funny to fight the monster ship.

[MIRAI]
Players
213 posts
13,829 battles

First off, i have no real experience in CV having only recently started trying them out in coop. Having played over 7000 games with a lot of them against CV's the only change i would like to see is this.

In order to launch/land planes the CV should be moving at half speed or more. This would be at least a small nod to realism as CV's cannot launch/land aircraft while motionless. It would also stop CV's hiding and then forgetting about their ship for most of the match, make them think about positioning more than "Where do i hide".

Not enough experience to comment on anything else.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,247 posts
16,207 battles

fighter strafes should only stun\pause\cancel Defensive fire , its hard anyway to use your fighter to do that because in high tiers you want to keep fighters over your ships

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,066 posts
15,733 battles
4 hours ago, bouncer8409 said:

It would also stop CV's hiding and then forgetting about their ship for most of the match, make them think about positioning more than "Where do i hide".

Trust me when I say it won't do anything but force CVs into more passive positions. You'd need to constantly move in a circle if you want to hold a favorable position and most islands simply cannot provide adequate cover for that.

And ofc all the braindead CV players will simply circle around in spawn or at the map border.

Sign in to follow this