You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
peter_s_price

Best Skill Pick at Level 2 for CV

22 comments in this topic

[NSVE]
Players
55 posts
6,972 battles

Looking for some advise on carrier commander training. Level 2 have been going for rear gunner. But not sure thats a good choice

Been thinking about the Torp Skill.

Dont like sacrificing torp range for speed but does that matter on Arial torps which are launched from a standard distance automatically by the game?

All other skills seem to be primarily for other ship classes!

[NWP]
Players
5,398 posts
6,787 battles

The Torp skills works for CVs too. They will be faster, but they will also arm a little bit later. I dont know if it does effect the Autodrop, since they are armed way before they hit the target, but it does matter when u perform manual drop.

[ESPA]
Players
1,219 posts
7,034 battles

Rear gunner it's only barely useful for Langleys and Hosho, perhaps Bogues, in conjuntion with evasive maneuvers. Better pick torp skill.

[ESPA]
Players
1,219 posts
7,034 battles
16 hours ago, stewie533 said:

Adrenaline rush! Get damaged and resupply planes faster :cap_haloween:

Unfortunately it doesn't works with carriers (I wish it would work with that and AA too)

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,072 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, Sargento_YO sagte:

Unfortunately it doesn't works with carriers (I wish it would work with that and AA too)

It actually does, according to this guy's test: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/111527-60-adrenaline-rush-and-carriers/

(Didn't confirm it myself though)

[NWP]
Players
5,398 posts
6,787 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

It actually does, according to this guy's test: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/111527-60-adrenaline-rush-and-carriers/

I always wondered why AR seems to have a plane in the picture... Bullet/Torpedo/Plane

But kinda makes sense doesnt it?

[ESPA]
Players
1,219 posts
7,034 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Weeeeiiirrddd... But I wouldn't use it, I would feel like if I would be raping myself (but without any pleasure in doing it) for a little gain.

[-CC-]
Players
236 posts
13,316 battles
On 29/01/2018 at 4:41 AM, El2aZeR said:

Torpedo Acceleration is mandatory.

Is it really? I remember asking this same question a few months back, and the conclusion I reached was that it depends on the carrier.

On Japanese carriers I agree that Torpedo Acceleration is the best choice for all ships. One reason for this is that in the Japanese drop pattern the torpedoes converge, so even though you need to manually drop your torpedoes slightly farther away, which negates the speed advantage, the torpedoes will be closer together when they reach their target. As for automatic drops, all Japanese carriers have two or more torpedo squadrons, enabling you to cross drop torpedoes on enemy destroyers, which is the only purpose you should use automatic drops for anyway. Torpedo Acceleration will provide a speed boost with automatic drops, which leaves your target less time to react and will make those cross drops more effective.

On the other hand, Expert Rear Gunner is not very useful for Japanese carriers. Yes, you can occasionally shoot down catapult fighters which is nice, but Japanese carriers have more squadrons than Americans do, so they are not as dependent on each squadron to do damage. The squadrons are also smaller, so their likelihood of shooting an enemy fighter down is smaller to begin with.

On American carriers things are different. Their torpedoes diverge, so having to drop them farther away is in fact harmful. Most American carriers also have only one torpedo squadron, which means no cross dropping, so you should have no need for automatic drops. Midway and the premium carriers are exceptions to this.

Expert Rear Gunner is more useful to Americans than to the Japanese. Americans have fewer squadrons, so when you succeed in shooting down a catapult fighter and do full damage to your target, the benefit is more significant. Also, American squadrons are larger, which means the likelihood of this happening is higher in the first place.

My recommendation is to use Torpedo Acceleration on all Japanese carriers, Langley, Bogue, Midway, Saipan and Enterprise. Expert Rear Gunner is better on Independence, Ranger, Lexington and Essex.

16 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

You'd have to torp yourself to get the bonus from AR :Smile_veryhappy::Smile_veryhappy:

I actually used dive bombers to set myself on fire in the Halloween event. It did not make a huge difference, but every bit to reduce the turnaround time helped.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,072 battles
Vor 20 Minuten, Rosletyne sagte:

Is it really? I remember asking this same question a few months back, and the conclusion I reached was that it depends on the carrier.

Yes, because a few month ago we still had setups without torpedo bombers. Any torpedo related skills were obviously useless for them ^^ This changed with the US-CV "Rework" so now every CV has torpedo bombers and can take this skill.

[-CC-]
Players
236 posts
13,316 battles

I have never used those setups without torpedo bombers, so the rework changed nothing for me about the skills. Just having torpedoes does not mean Torpedo Acceleration would be useful, and I cannot think of any way it would be beneficial on the Independence, Ranger, Lexington or Essex, either before or after the rework.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
On 1/29/2018 at 2:06 AM, peter_s_price said:

Dont like sacrificing torp range for speed but does that matter on Arial torps which are launched from a standard distance automatically by the game?

Torp acceleration is a basic skill for any CV that uses torps. There is no downside to it - in all my CV experience (a couple hundred games) I have really used something close to the maximum range (WHILE using TA)... less than 10 times, I think. And even that's accidentally, when stray torps miss the intended target and somehow end up hitting some unfortunate (and often braindead because these torps take forever to cover any sort of distance) at the edge of their range.

Basically: the speed makes your torps harder to evade, the range is irrelevant.

Also, when you reach t6, you won't even be launching the torps at the "set distance" - that's the tier when CV play really starts with the introduction of alt-attacks that allow you to actually pinpoint the drop location instead of only picking the target and approach direction.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,062 posts
15,733 battles
5 hours ago, Rosletyne said:

TA is needed to kill DDs. You need to maximize your chances of getting at least one, if not two hits considering you only have one squad until Midway.

ERG is worthless in all aspects because you can simply bypass the catapult fighter entirely if you time your approach right. If you have another squad following up you can just stick around with the squad that's getting attacked as the fighter won't change target.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
11 hours ago, peter_s_price said:

Level 16 isnt available to me to earn apparently

I never said anything about level - I'm talking about ship tier 6. The first two tiers of CVs have restricted functionality.

Players
579 posts
5,038 battles

The first two are no CVs - it are point and klick boats with planes.

Nothing in there playstyle and things they can do has anything to do with a CV.

I refuse to call this poor boats "CV"