You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TigerMoth

Diehard in a Destroyer!?

26 comments in this topic

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Die Hard only means you survived a ram while killing your opponent in the process.

In theory this is quite simple if your DDs has more max (and current) HP than the opponent's DD and/or you use the appropriate flag.

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Not really. How many times do you see a low HP ship ram a ship with vastly more HP and take them down?

And no, I didn't have any flags.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
5,396 posts
6,787 battles

If u Ram each other while not on full speed, the damage is reduced. Im however not sure who gets less damage, i think the ship which is slower receives also less damage... but im really not sure about that.

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

I found out that if you move away from the ship ramming you reduces significantly the damage you take when colliding. Maybe the fact that you were reversing away from the DD ramming you helped, stupid as it sounds.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
43 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

Not really. How many times do you see a low HP ship ram a ship with vastly more HP and take them down?

Ram = you do as much dmg as your ship has max hp. The other DD had less max hp than your current hp so you survived - and thus got the DieHard. Really not that hard, especially if you rammed a lower tier DD

10 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

If u Ram each other while not on full speed, the damage is reduced. Im however not sure who gets less damage, i think the ship which is slower receives also less damage... but im really not sure about that.

Wasn't there something like your relative speed to each other has to be over 5 kts to even count as a ram? :Smile_teethhappy:

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,820 posts
8,085 battles
34 minutes ago, SovietFury43 said:

Nah, do a Dreadnought in a destroyer, then i will be impressed.

Might be doable in Khabarovsk.  Not so much in Kidd.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,366 posts
10,845 battles
19 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Might be doable in Khabarovsk.  Not so much in Kidd.

Might?

Every second game in my Khabarovsk is a Dreadnought and considering I die my fair share the ratio of Dreadnoughts in survived matches should be higher than 50% I'd say from the top of my hat. Kebab farms Dreadnoughts like mad. Just gotta annoy the enemy team for a while and they will have a go at you with plenty enthusiasm so all that's left is wiggling and trying not get blown up and that's almost guaranteed to be a Dreadnought if you survive :cap_viking:

And Kidd is pretty decent at it too, just not as good without that 50mm troll armour, but you can make up for that by a fair share by exploiting your vastly superiour detectability to disengage when it gets too hot.

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
6 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

The picture wasn't uploaded when I wrote my answer.

This is more interesting, though. You were probably slow enough (and going in reverse) so you didn't take a huge amount of damage at once but the damage ticked down on both ships. The enemy was just unlucky enough to run out of HP sooner than you.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,099 battles

This is totally possible @TigerMoth, my 2nd atest "Die Hard" was apparently earned in a Wakatake of all ships... I have no idea or recollection of what happened tho. :Smile_amazed:

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
6 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

I got more Dreadnoughts in my Atago than in any other ship :cap_viking:

Also, have had since before the RNCL's arrived. 

Edited by piritskenyer

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,099 battles

Not that hard actually @piritskenyer... Out of the 31 Dreadnoughts that I have more than 20 were achieved with a DD. Just hafta make sure you sport the SE skill on your captain, hehe. :cap_haloween:

Oh yeah, and of course - Try to keep in mind the little "not dying horribly"-bit too... :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles

Yeah, it's always the odd classes, innit :D

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,099 battles

Weel, I must admit... I HAVE mostly played only DD so far. I just began practicing Cruiser recently and gave up on BB's long time ago. I do intend to pick them up later again at some point. You know, when they get over all this silly "bow-tanking-camping-meta"-malarkey and you could actually broadside something as God intended.:Smile_teethhappy:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,618 posts
8,112 battles
27 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Weel, I must admit... I HAVE mostly played only DD so far. I just began practicing Cruiser recently and gave up on BB's long time ago. I do intend to pick them up later again at some point. You know, when they get over all this silly "bow-tanking-camping-meta"-malarkey and you could actually broadside something as God intended.:Smile_teethhappy:

What are you talking about?

Use anything but IJN BBs and once you are Hightier you can broadside all day long without getting punished. :cap_book:

I hear RN BBs are best at that with their submerged Citadels but you might want to try Montana and Kurfürst too.

(salty Yamatocaptain speaking)

On Topic: Jeah i also got many Die Hards in DDs too. I can particularly renember one in my Gremy. The enemy went like wtf?!? Op Ship! I extra went for the ram on you to kill the most op enemy ship and you still survived?!? (I was using the signal for ramming reduction just for the sake of using them because they are useless.)

I was laughing my A off. :Smile_teethhappy:

And farming Dreadnaughts in Khaba is stupidly easy.

In fact it is my go for ship to farm those for specific missions.

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,099 battles

Hehe! You got the problem right in the noggin' @Miessa3, my friend. I HAVE only IJN BB's, so that right there IS admittedly the main problem. :Smile_smile: You just cannot play them like "real" battleships at all. :Smile_sad:

Well OK, and I admit to a few KM ones up to Bismarck and the Dunkerque too. But not really played them much either yet. Learning how to Cruiser first.:fish_book:

[XODUS]
Players
797 posts
4,757 battles

I got a die hard in the v-25

And i didn't  have flag or survivability expert

I had 7 hp left at end

• Cool 1

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles

I'll just add to what other people are saying; Kebab is one of the best ships in the game for getting Dreadnought. The heals are fairly weak, but you can almost alway use all of them to their full extent since outside of torps you don't take citadel damage. You also have probably the biggest control over your own survival since the only things you can't really run away from is planes. So just pick fights with everyone until your health gets low, then stay away from everything.

Add a ramming flag and you can probably get Die Hard too without too much problem since you've got all that health.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
9 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

Tashkent, Khabarovsk, Kidd... Ever heard of DDs with heals?

Players
5,287 posts
6,401 battles

I once had a Tenryuu game where I crashed at the start of the match and after coming back, I found I had earned a Diehard metal. To this day I'm wondering how an oversized DD could be rammed by an actual DD while being stationary. I will never know. That's the insanity of low-tier battles, I guess.

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Looking at the responses, I clearly don't get rammed enough if this is the first time it has happened to me :)

Looking forward to trying for the Diehard :p