Sign in to follow this  
memphispt

Atago, Tirpitz, Roma or some other?

21 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
459 battles

Hello,

I'd like to buy a premium tier 8 ship and i need your help figuring out which one to buy.

I'm trying to get the equivalent to the type 59 in WOT, so basically the one you feel is the most overpowered. I saw some reviews on youtube about the tirpitz,  Roma and Atago and they were the ones that stood out the most for being op and purchasable.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Beta Tester
966 posts
9,785 battles

I'd strongly advise against buying a tier 8 premium. For the following reasons:-

You really have not played enough battles yet to see a trend of where you excel in a particular class. If any thing you are most successful in Soviet destroyers. So perhaps a Leningrad?

I'd advise against buying a battleship, you are really not doing enough damage for the class.

Ask yourself why do you want a premium ship? Is it to earn credits? or train a captain? For that you need to decide what nations lines you are progressing first. The Italian Roma is not much use as a captain trainer as there is not a full Italian line yet. The Tirpitz is the WoWS equivalent of the Lowe, newbies buy them and don't do well in them.

A ship is only overpowered in the right hands, and the most O/P ships are not for sale.  They won't make you a good player.

I'd save your money for now and play a few more ship lines and progress further, in which case premium time might be a better option.

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
345 posts
15,227 battles

All tier VIII premiums (well maybe not Prinz Eugen) can do well but have their weakness and you Will get punished when making a mistake. And you will be uptiered more often then not.

Tirpitz had its share of “ lesser capable” players that do not play a German BB towards it’s strenghts. Please do not become such a player due to a lack of experience. The Roma is not OP at all. You can tank bow on but you lack accuracy, aa and showing broadside will sent you back to port soon. Atago is still ok, but needs a skilled captain with atleast concealment.

If you really want a tier 8, take the Alabama. Its without Roma’s downsides. But i warn you that the first introduction into tier 8-10 meta will be harsh.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

216 games? Hahaha, learn to play before buying a high tier premium. Just because you can hit 1 shell every 3 salvos in tier 4 doesn't mean you are anywhere near qualified to play higher tiers

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

@memphispt don't buy anything. Whatever you buy at this moment (with that amount of battles under your belt) won't be OP in your hands. Get regular tier VIII ship first and learn the basics of the game.

Also you can't compare WoT and WoWS. It's nothing alike. 

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

As people have said, some in a more helpful way than others, you should be aiming to get a solid grasp of the game and progressing up the tiers at a rate matched by your learning and improvement. This is a fairly complex game and rushing through it does no one any favours, least of all yourself when you find yourself frustrated at having dropped ~€/£40 on a ship that you in all likelihood won't be able to perform well in. Wait until you get to T8 on your own, preferably with several different lines, until you buy a premium at that tier; you'll enjoy it far more and get much better value for your money.

At any rate, all the truly horrendously overpowered premium ships are no longer available for sale.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
2,185 posts
6,367 battles
11 minutes ago, rvfharrier said:

At any rate, all the truly horrendously overpowered premium ships are no longer available for sale.

Saipan is here :Smile_trollface:

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
680 posts
16,265 battles
26 minutes ago, rvfharrier said:

As people have said, some in a more helpful way than others, you should be aiming to get a solid grasp of the game and progressing up the tiers at a rate matched by your learning and improvement. This is a fairly complex game and rushing through it does no one any favours, least of all yourself when you find yourself frustrated at having dropped ~€/£40 on a ship that you in all likelihood won't be able to perform well in. Wait until you get to T8 on your own, preferably with several different lines, until you buy a premium at that tier; you'll enjoy it far more and get much better value for your money.

X2

Players
2 posts
459 battles

I bought premium tier  8 tanks in wot and  i turned out ok! and i don't regret the decision one bit

See it this way: me buying premium ships is what keeps the game we all enjoy going. So in a sense it's a good thing that i'm looking to buy one!

Help a bloke out!

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
5 hours ago, memphispt said:

I bought premium tier  8 tanks in wot and  i turned out ok! and i don't regret the decision one bit

See it this way: me buying premium ships is what keeps the game we all enjoy going. So in a sense it's a good thing that i'm looking to buy one!

Help a bloke out!

Get to tier 8 in a silver ship, then buy all the tier 8 premiums you want. We have more than enough windowlickers sailing around in their Atagos and Derpitzes with 30% WR blaming the world for their sucking.

You are at low tiers - play low tier ships. Get to high tiers yourself before buying into them, at least then there is a hope that something will have stuck to you instead of you being another completely hopeless potato who can improve his WR by going AFK.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
2,185 posts
6,367 battles
23 hours ago, memphispt said:

Help a bloke out!

Tanks and ships - not the same. Also it makes a help towards WG by buying a premium ship but you fak up the gameplay for the others and we won't defo enjoy with those kind of players. Please don't be one of those Dirpitz players and do what most of us suggested. We already have enough of them.

And don't worry. WG won't get poor cuz one player won't buy smth from them atm. The rest of us are taking care of it.

Players
1,635 posts
4,216 battles
On 29/01/2018 at 12:32 PM, memphispt said:

Help a bloke out!

Those of us here telling you to NOT buy a premium above your skill level most likely have several premiums ourselves - the difference is, we did the smart thing and actually grinded the silver ships in-game before purchasing anything.

Down at your current position of 300-or-so battles, have you encountered Radar? Hydroacoustic search? Radio Position Finding? 10+km torpedoes? 16+inch guns? Firing ranges of 20+km?

The short answer is no, you haven't.

Thus you are unprepared to play in T8 or above battles. You will have a bad time. Your team will be let down by your lack of ability to hold up your own weight.

And everyone will be all the less likely to keep playing the game.

...Which means less paying customers for WG.

......Which means your purchase of a ship above your skill level would have shortened the overall life expectancy of the game, not increased it.

Please take the advice of myself and the other posters on this thread and do not buy a premium ship above your skill level.

Supertester
374 posts
3,435 battles

There is no "overpowered" premium ship available to buy, if you don't know how to play the game correctly (knowing game mechanics, positioning, map awareness etc). If you want to get a T8 premium ship, you will face T10's a lot, and that won't be fun for you. 

Either way, I think the Tirpitz would be the most newbie (not noob) friendly premium ship. But it needs getting used to the dispersion etc, you will need the correct commander skills for her. 

I recomment playing Co-op mode, or get a T7 ship like the Scharnhorst, and you could play operations as well. 

Players
1,635 posts
4,216 battles
5 hours ago, DiggerPH said:

He is gently trolling...

One would hope so.

But seeing as this is the newbie section, we can't be having any actual newbs come into this thread thinking it's a good idea to spoil games for everyone else.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,067 posts
7,531 battles

OP: something to bear in mind with WOWS is that the better players start to be encountered (in my view) at lower tiers than in WOT; when one is a newbie, the difficulty curve starts to get very steep quite quickly. Also, bear in mind that you have protected MM up until T4; T5 and above get +2 MM, which can expose a newer player horribly - you start meeting radar, for example.

I mostly agree with what everyone else has said i.e. get lower tier premiums to start with (some of the most fun ones are not T8; Gallant at T6 is glorious, for example, but you will face T8s in her; Aurora at T3 can be a hoot, as is Cambeltown).

I'm guessing you're probably going to ignore everyone though, and get a T8 anyway; this is entirely your choice. What I would strongly suggest though is that if you do get any higher tier premiums (with your battle count, I'd define that as T7+), you play them in PvE modes: this isn't a snobbery thing (your WR is much higher than mine), but rather that you're more likely to last a decent amount of time against bots, which earns you more silver, and xp, whilst also getting the hang of the ship.

I'm still a comparative newbie too, but what I did was a mixture of the extremes: I mainly played silver ships (and low tier premiums) in PvP (once I'd unlocked all/most of the upgrades for the silver ones in PvE, or with free xp), as they provide an invaluable measure of where you are in your game development - if you're getting tonked in T6 silver ships, you aren't ready for a T8 (statement of the bleedin' obvious), for example. Meanwhile, to avoid getting bored, I was messing around in high tier premiums in PvE.

This approach has a number of pluses:

• You don't annoy anyone by being a liability in PvP (and don't bugger up your stats in the process, if you care about such things).
  • You don't get bored, and you get to play with the shiny new toy (look at my ship list - I really do understand this bit).
  • You can explore the interesting higher tier mechanics (radar/hydro especially) in a benign environment; this way, you're prepared for when you meet them later for real (PvP).
  • You're also more likely to have suitable higher point captains for when you do take your higher tiers out into PvP (this makes a huge difference).

As to which T8 to buy (if you really must), pretty much the same advice applies as when buying a lower tier one: pick something that you know how to play well, as you'll make a lot more silver/xp, and be able to contribute to your team a lot more. Look out for special offers (premium ships are over-priced in general, so you might as well mitigate that if possible). If you are new, it is worth at least considering buying a premium ship that comes with a 10-point captain (don't forget though, that you can earn 10-point captains for free in the various operation missions); this goes double if you are buying a T8, when you probably aren't ready yet - if you choose skills wisely, it will *slightly* mitigate your lack of experience (for me, being able to get CE off the bat for DD captains has been invaluable, for example).

[LEGIO]
Players
599 posts
8,045 battles
On 1/29/2018 at 1:32 PM, memphispt said:

Help a bloke out!

I would buy the Alabama. Practice in COOP. Grind through to T8 in Random. Don´t fall for that passive camping/HE spamming meta mate. And do as YOU want. Here is one Willy Wonka here that is quite rude. Don´t mind him. He´s just an experiment mate. He´s harmless acctually. But if i were you so would i buy the Arizona first. It´s a really solid mid tier ship. Or Why not the Warspite. Also a good one :) Have fun :Smile_honoring:

Players
100 posts

Well, if you want to buy a Tier 8 Premium I would say go ahead. There is this huge misconception that somehow everyone has to play 1000 battles before they are good enough to play Tier 8 and up. This is a game and if you have the money and want to buy a ship then it is your choice.

I would suggest that you watch how to videos from Yuro or NoZoupForYou before making a decision. Both have a series of short concise clips that explain the basics of different ships. NoZoupForYOu has a playlist called help an Ensign in which he explains basic concepts in short videos that I can recommend.

I think it is important that you do some research before buying because playstyles are vastly different depending on the ship(not even type) and you do not want to buy a ship that 100 battles later sity in port.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this