You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

I installed mods, suddenly I became Unicum

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

As some of you may know I returned to WoWs after 1.5 years. While I am still unfit to pilot a CV, I still remember how to separate a bow from a stern on my other ships.

However, as some of you may know, I did not really find success in playing the ships I once had during the first attempt. I mentioned difficulties on every spectrum, and poor performance to boot. I had to spend a match just to figure out everything to configure in the settings again. That highly discouraged my further attempts at the game and dampened my moral as well as my impressions of the game.

This weekend, however, I decided to give it another go. While I still did not touch my CVs, I went and found the WG beta-modpack, installed some fog-remover, shell-type based tracers, fov and camera zoom enhancer, ship angle indicator, and most importantly, 5GB of ship skins.

Suddenly, I was able to snipe DDs from 15km range in any ship again, regardless of their "ballistics". Suddenly, I could 1v2 in ranked with Tirpitz using torpedoes. Suddenly, I could push in my Yamato, get close-quarters expert, and live. Suddenly, I was doing so well in my Zao again everyone on the enemy team tried to kill me whenever I popped up yet I still lived. I also suddenly found a free T8 Monarch in my port without having to grind all the previous ships up to T7. And I also received an OMN-sanctioned hax package with 500 doubloons from my supply drops right after I got the skins to work.

I also consistently scored top few in the team contributions again. While my winrate and actual performance was still far from the Unicum days, this was in no doubt a substantial increase. If everyone who played the game had such a high increases in rate of learning, noobs and flops would no longer be a problem, nor a topic of conversation in the forums.

(But seriously, that ship angle indicator is OP. If I had that back in my active days I would probably have made a spot in the permanent clan wars lineup for the clan. Pffff.)

(No I will not attempt to conclude this post seriously. There is not much to conclude except mods op. Really.)

• Boring 2

[AAO]
Players
2,134 posts
10,657 battles

Not too long, readable, and understandable. Very good!

Now as far as content concerns...

• Funny 3

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
18 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

I installed mods and had a few good games after that.

There, shortened it for you.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4

[NSVE]
Players
171 posts
9,170 battles

Didn't the Dreyer Table have a target angle indicator in WW1?

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Ok, want me to bring up the usual act again? Sure.

Basically, I satirically hinted  the vast effects mods have to the experience of this game. I could have included a poll asking a few questions along the lines of "how much does your experience in WoWs depend on mods", "how much does your performance in WoWs depend on such" but I didn't bother. 

I also could have included musings on possibilities of using mods to improve the skill of the playerbase, actual reviews and comparisons of mods, possibility of direct implementation to the game, things that mods cannot do but that can be coded into the game for better effect, strategically sanctioning mods, designing the game to be more mod-friendly and compatible, even partially mod-dependent like "skyrim" (but that's a bit far), etc. and on and on. But no one likes to read those. Can't present ideas in interesting ways to make ppl care to save my life, either.

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
18 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You stats took a dive...

What fairy tales are you telling?

You mean winrate?

Yeh, sailing around in a 100% stock Monarch because I no longer subscribe premium, does that. 

But you may have noticed some frags still happened, but as for surviveability, meh I always liked to sail my ship leading a glorious charge, I was just better at surviving it and winning it back then.

If you really want the full details, you can check out the earlier 1.5 yrs thread in which I failed hard (trying to help DDs, then dying anyways). For example, lack of knowledge to do salvo-synced patrol routes (optimal sailing routes allowing maximum dps efficiency, surviveability, and tactical influence) just by itself could account for 10% of winrate. I mean, those routes were so optimized they even timed how many salvos you could get off before turning your ship around at a safe waypoint. A lot of what makes an Unicum a unicum is its knowledge, and ability to act on it.

I'll also be honest with you. I can't really play DD or CV, the largest match-tilters, because those are slightly more fussy about skill and practiced handling, and ping. Neither of which I am capable of in my returners status, and limitations of my physical circumstances. (Hint: internet) In other words it is unlikely I will ever get to play CV and DD in the near future again. I know 40% winrate looks quite bad, (or whatever it is, I never really fussed over stats) but you try playing again after 1.5 years in non-ideal circumstances.

(Edit: p.s. Lied to you? Far from that. While I tried to be honest, even giving out the no DD/CV info, I instinctively stopped giving out more details because of the tone of your expression, unless that was meant as a kind of joke. Sorry but I can detect those. Next time, try to hide "unfriendly" intents behind a more psychopathic mask of charm, or maybe even make a genuine attempt at being nice and friendly, instead of judgmental and criticizing. You might even actually become friendlier, for a very well acted lie is about good as the truth itself. Err, sociopathic, psychopathic, however you prefer to put it, or whatever causes your tone.)

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

To be fair I don't mind the stats dive. Allows me to see the game from a normal player's perspective again, humbling, and very good for intrigue reasons. Still, the no DD/CV circumstance stands, regrettably. My past clan knows more about the situation but that is as far as it need be concerned.

[D-ODW]
Players
156 posts
21,768 battles
16 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Yeh, sailing around in a 100% stock Monarch because I no longer subscribe premium, does that. 

Alert alert all units we have a tin foil hat situation i repeat this is not a drill all units report to the death star, roger and out.

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Actually, I'd like to bring to attention that our comrade ColonelPete here has inadvertently helped to illustrate a very important point: How experience and enjoyment in this game is so defined based on performance. Even if I myself can still enjoy the game despite lack of Unicum performance, call lost games "good games" (because they were, in a few I even performed), and still play to my own style and liking, I was harshly and critically judged for it. 

This, in short, is probably bad for a game. Ideally the game should be likeable and enjoyable without fear of judgement and criticism, and be fun regardless of win or loss. These true factors contributing to what makes a game fun and enjoyable need to be recognized and given the priority they deserve. Including mods, and friendly ppl.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,524 posts
6,992 battles

KarmaQU speaking his usual nonsense in unreadable wall of text.

Nothing to see here, more along...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1