Sign in to follow this  
DiMtopia

an assortment of noobish questions

25 comments in this topic

Question

Players
19 posts
286 battles

1. is there a way of knowing when the enemy torpedoes will stop and sink? i've been in the situation where torpedoes are coming my way, i scramble to evade them only to see them die off before getting to me. obviously it's a fortunate situation but i'd also like to know it beforehand in order to avoid browning my shorts and sweating profusely. :)

2. is there anything i can do vs enemy airplanes if i'm alone? obviously i should stick with my mates cause there's strength in numbers, but occasionally i find myself in the end game stranded alone trying to find the enemy carriers only to be pounded by airplanes with bombs and torpedoes with not a lot of chance to outmanoeuvre them. yes, my AA guns are turned on, but apparently can't shoot much

3. are there any plans on making the matchmaker give teams equal number of ship types? i might be completely wrong here but i find destroyers to be very important as they can be sneaky and give vision. in most games one team has more destroyers than the other and quite often i see teams without a destroyer while the other has 1. i've never seen a difference of more than 1, but that's a huge difference when the other team has none.

4. also on the subject of the matchmaker, is it normal to have tier differences between teams? i mean if one team has 3 tier 7 ships the other should have the same, right down to the sip types. i have a tier 7 destroyer, you have one too. i have 2 tier 6 battleships, same for the other team.

5. people not moving for a long time at start of battle. in quite a few games there are 1-2 people that don't move at all sometimes for up to 3 minutes at the start of the battle. since i'm new i avoid going full speed ahead towards the enemy so i try to wait and see where people go and follow them. but it takes 30 seconds at most to see where everybody is going. waiting for up to 3 minutes before moving seems like a real waste. am i missing something? is there more to this? are they strategizing something?

6. weird camo schemes. obviously personal taste can't be judged but i've seen today some garish camo schemes with neon bright colours that honestly look bad and are quite distracting. is there any way to turn that off and have the ships display like normal? are those some sort of special ships?

7. is there a stats site where i can track my progress? i'm obviously crap right now, but i'm hopefully going to improve and i'd like to monitor this improvement if possible.

8. i'm planning on getting to tier 6 on several ship lines and stopping there until i feel comfortable with the game mechanics. i feel like this should be the right move as i assume more experienced players will be found at tiers 7 and above and i'll suck too much to play at that level. is this a good thing or am i unnecessarily hindering my progress and missing out on a lot of learning opportunities which can be found only at higher tiers?

9. any way of practising aiming with different ships? of course aside from the obvious way of playing more and more. i mean like a training room where i have moving targets and i can use whatever ship i want.

• Cool 2

24 answers to this question

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles
1 hour ago, DiMtopia said:

1. is there a way of knowing when the enemy torpedoes will stop and sink? i've been in the situation where torpedoes are coming my way, i scramble to evade them only to see them die off before getting to me. obviously it's a fortunate situation but i'd also like to know it beforehand in order to avoid browning my shorts and sweating profusely. :)

Learn statistics and armaments off by heart. You can see them all by viewing the ships in port, even if you don't have them, and simply memorize them or, preferably, unlock and play them to get a better feel. If you can see the ship that fired them then great, if not then you'll have to guess based on what ships the enemy team have and how many torpedoes you see. If there's a Minekaze and a T-22 on the enemy team, neither have been spotted and you see four torps, two sets of two, heading your way then you know the Minekaze fired them, you know their range is 7.0km and you know there are two more that could be coming your way! As a rule of thumb, never assume torps won't reach you!

2. is there anything i can do vs enemy airplanes if i'm alone? obviously i should stick with my mates cause there's strength in numbers, but occasionally i find myself in the end game stranded alone trying to find the enemy carriers only to be pounded by airplanes with bombs and torpedoes with not a lot of chance to outmanoeuvre them. yes, my AA guns are turned on, but apparently can't shoot much

Depends what ship you're in. If you're in a DD you can smoke, if you're in a cruiser you might have DFAA or at least a catapult fighter to launch, if you're in a BB then generally all you can do is turn in to the torpedo bombers to minimize the number that will hit. Always turn in rather than away whenever possible and never change the direction of your turn if torp bombers circle around to the other side. The period where your rudder shifts from one side to the other you're effectively sailing in a straight line and you make yourself a sitting duck.

Best solution is, as you rightly said, to stick with the team but this isn't always possible. Know also that AA is incredibly poor in the lower tiers but it will improve as you progress, so will the lethality of the carriers though!

3. are there any plans on making the matchmaker give teams equal number of ship types? i might be completely wrong here but i find destroyers to be very important as they can be sneaky and give vision. in most games one team has more destroyers than the other and quite often i see teams without a destroyer while the other has 1. i've never seen a difference of more than 1, but that's a huge difference when the other team has none.

There never will be a difference of more than one DD between the teams, there will almost never be more than 5 BBs per team and there will never be more than 2 CVs, 1 at higher tiers, nor will one team ever have more CVs than the other. To answer the question there probably aren't plans to guarantee equal DD numbers per team.

4. also on the subject of the matchmaker, is it normal to have tier differences between teams? i mean if one team has 3 tier 7 ships the other should have the same, right down to the sip types. i have a tier 7 destroyer, you have one too. i have 2 tier 6 battleships, same for the other team.

Generally it works out pretty evenly, but there are the odd games where it seems the matchmaker wasn't paying full attention!

5. people not moving for a long time at start of battle. in quite a few games there are 1-2 people that don't move at all sometimes for up to 3 minutes at the start of the battle. since i'm new i avoid going full speed ahead towards the enemy so i try to wait and see where people go and follow them. but it takes 30 seconds at most to see where everybody is going. waiting for up to 3 minutes before moving seems like a real waste. am i missing something? is there more to this? are they strategizing something?

This is a problem, yes. Some people load in slowly, some crash, some are inexplicably afk, some people deliberately wait (never do that) and some are almost certainly bot programs. Always check how much of your team has come with you and how much support you have in general before you commit yourself to a cap point/map spot.

6. weird camo schemes. obviously personal taste can't be judged but i've seen today some garish camo schemes with neon bright colours that honestly look bad and are quite distracting. is there any way to turn that off and have the ships display like normal? are those some sort of special ships?

Indeed, whatever floats your boat but personally I can't stand them either! In the bottom right of the port screen you'll find a cog.

OhXAnji.jpg

Click it and you get this screen come up, deactivate whatever you don't like with the checkboxes and visibility icons. The ones I believe you're referring to are the Arpeggio ships, but Dragon is quite similar. Halloween are very heavily steam-punked designs and the Kobayashi camos are simply beyond my ability to explain or even comprehend.

uWKDws2.png

Edit: Just realized I missed the bottom three questions, whoops!

7. is there a stats site where i can track my progress? i'm obviously crap right now, but i'm hopefully going to improve and i'd like to monitor this improvement if possible.

https://wows-numbers.com/ I believe is the de facto stats site now, there's another one which I think used to be the main one but suffered a spate of problems with not updating and so fell into disuse: https://eu.warships.today/

8. i'm planning on getting to tier 6 on several ship lines and stopping there until i feel comfortable with the game mechanics. i feel like this should be the right move as i assume more experienced players will be found at tiers 7 and above and i'll suck too much to play at that level. is this a good thing or am i unnecessarily hindering my progress and missing out on a lot of learning opportunities which can be found only at higher tiers?

Bingo! This is exactly the right thing to do and it's refreshing to see some patience from a new player willing to take the time to adequately learn what is quite a complex game before progressing!

9. any way of practising aiming with different ships? of course aside from the obvious way of playing more and more. i mean like a training room where i have moving targets and i can use whatever ship i want.

The latest patch added a training room which you can use for this, but I think I heard that currently you can only play against static bots which don't move or fight back. You could always go in there with a friend, but your best bet is match practice and to simply keep at it.

• Cool 2

Players
1,249 posts
3,476 battles

What @DB2212 means is you can separate your mouse pointer from the reticle by holding down the ctrl key.

If you do that and click on the planes you want your AA to focus on it adds something like +20-30% DPM of your AA armament.

It's really useful if you see torpedo bombers incoming and you want to prioritise them over dive bombers.

(There's also a captain skill that further increases the DPM for focused squadrons, but only for large-caliber AA)

Regarding AA on DDs, I typically leave mine on, as several DDs in the game have maximum AA range less than their detection by air range. (e.g. Gallant and Kamikaze have 1.2km and 0.9km AA range compared with detectability of 3km and 2.7km respectively). Also, unlike the detection by gunfire which takes 20s to reset, your detectability by air resets instantaneously when your AA stops shooting.

Edited by Captain_LOZFFVII
  • Cool 3

Players
19 posts
286 battles

first of all, thanks a lot for the answers.

1. i was afraid it might all come down to simply memorizing stats and armament details. i guess it's normal and while i won't bother to start memorizing i guess given enough time i'll start to know at least the most common ships by simply meeting them in battle and observing stuff.

6. life saver. i'll promptly start disabling the weird stuff.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,822 posts
5,278 battles
58 minutes ago, DiMtopia said:

I just typed a long reply, but the forum wet itself and lost it! Happily, @rvfharrier answered in a very similar way to me,  only much better!

As a refinement to number 8 (I agree vigorously with your position - it's what I'm doing too), if you feel you *must* play something that's higher tier than you're comfortable with (there are lots of very shiny T8 premiums that are only on sale occasionally, for example; or, I have a Mo - before she's removed - that I have absolutely no business playing against real people), PvE (Co-op mode) is a much more benign environment. It allows you to play a wider range of ships without messing up anyone's 'proper' games - just don't forget that whilst you're doing that, you aren't practicing with your silver ships against real opposition.

The other thing I would suggest to a new player is to ask questions on here any time you don't understand something, or just want a view on something - the more experienced players on here are generally awesome, and are usually very happy to help we newbies. The 'discussions' about ships and tactics on the 'gameplay' section are worth following too - you'll often glean valuable insight there on all manner of things...

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,822 posts
5,278 battles

BTW regarding shooting at planes: if you're playing sneaky (DDs especially), don't forget you can, and should, toggle your AA/secondaries on and off with the p key.

When you fire anything at the foe (AA/secondaries/main guns, not torps though), you light up like the proverbial Christmas tree, and can be spotted from space (well, you know what I mean). Most of the time, in a DD, you want your AA/secondaries off, so they don't shoot at stuff automatically, and give your position away.

If you are spotted (say, by a fighter overhead), with no immediate hope of hiding again, turn your AA/secondaries on - you might even shoot one down, and you won't make yourself even more spotted! Just remember to switch them off again, as soon as hiding is a reasonable possibility.

It took me a while to realise about the p key, so tended to get spotted a lot early on...!

• Cool 2

Players
518 posts
5,254 battles

2nd question about aircraft has been well answered by rvfharrier and Verblonde but I hope you find the following useful.

AA on lower tiers is abysmal. What can help is to click on the circle above the aircraft which will concentrate fire on that flight.

This also works on ships close to you but will depend on secondary and AA armaments. The higher the tier, generally speaking, the better the results.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
1,822 posts
5,278 battles
8 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

What @DB2212 means is you can separate your mouse pointer from the reticle by holding down the ctrl key.

If you do that and click on the planes you want your AA to focus on it adds something like +20-30% DPM of your AA armament.

It's really useful if you see torpedo bombers incoming and you want to prioritise them over dive bombers.

(There's also a captain skill that further increases the DPM for focused squadrons, but only for large-caliber AA)

Regarding AA on DDs, I typically leave mine on, as several DDs in the game have maximum AA range less than their detection by air range. (e.g. Gallant and Kamikaze have 1.2km and 0.9km AA range compared with detectability of 3km and 2.7km respectively). Also, unlike the detection by gunfire which takes 20s to reset, your detectability by air resets instantaneously when your AA stops shooting.

I hadn't twigged to this - thank you.

Do these things typically have secondaries (I know things like BBs do, but I'm not sure about DDs - does the same calculus still work with secondaries too?)?

• Cool 1

Players
1,249 posts
3,476 battles
5 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I hadn't twigged to this - thank you.

Do these things typically have secondaries (I know things like BBs do, but I'm not sure about DDs - does the same calculus still work with secondaries too?)?

Destroyers do not have secondaries (well, I've heard the upcoming HMS Cossack does, but she's the exception).

Secondaries behave differently to AA armament. You can focus your secondaries onto an enemy ship the same way you focus your AA, but you will not get a bonus unless using the captain skill. Be warned that focusing your secondaries at all stops them from shooting at other targets - including those on the other side of your ship. Oh, and using the captain skill stops your secondaries from opening fire on ANY target unless you designate them.

Hope that helps.:cap_like:

• Cool 2

Players
756 posts
3,225 battles
On 25/01/2018 at 12:10 AM, DiMtopia said:

1. i was afraid it might all come down to simply memorizing stats and armament details. i guess it's normal and while i won't bother to start memorizing i guess given enough time i'll start to know at least the most common ships by simply meeting them in battle and observing stuff.

No need to "memorize" just keep a standard. Different Nations have different torp ranges. But I wouldnt care about ranges since most DDs (Especially Japanese) can torp without being seen. So DODGE EM ALL

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles

thank you all for your answers.

i've got 2 more questions.

10. as i said in the first post i don't want to rush the tiers because i'll probably get to tier 8 unprepared, get my [edited]kicked and not only dislike it but also ruing games for others. however in doing so i'm missing on operations, ranked battles, clan battles and a whole range of missions and challenges. that seems like quite a lot of content i'm deliberately not accessing. ranked battles and clan battles i'm assuming are mostly for very good players so even if i had higher tier ships i probably wouldn't play those. the missions and challenges for tier 8+ seem quite difficult (might be wrong) so i'm not too concerned about those and assuming they don't expire i'll probably get to doing them at some point. however the operations thing does seem very appealing. from watching youtube vids i see that they're really interesting co-op scenarios that also have very nice rewards in terms of xp and credits.

11. the number of ships per team seems to vary quite a lot. i think the minimum i got was 6 and the max was 12. is this random? how's it calculated? isn't 6 too low of a number? get 2 afks in a 6 ship team and you're doomed. heck, even with 1 afk it would be an uphill struggle.

Players
958 posts
8,054 battles

You want to get at least a few Tier VII ships for some scenarios.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scenarios

While most are for Tier VI, Operations Ultimate Frontier and Narai, are restricted to Tier VII.

These scenarios are initially quite an interesting challenge, good basic target practice, and even if you have them down and unlocked all the rewards (which will only be given out the first time you achieve the corresponding result), they remain a fairly reliable source of middling  to higher amounts of silver and XP.

Also, achieving consistent results with new groups of players remains a leadership and communications challenge, as well as a source of frustration or amusement, #YMMV. Watch a few Jingles vids on Operations and you'll see what I mean.

Cruisers and BBs tend to be more useful for the scenarios than DDs; a deftly handled CV can be invaluable.

[NED]
Players
4,073 posts
11,110 battles

Most q's have been answered. And you might want to change the title of your post. These are the best questions I've seen in a long time. Really like your attitude! Small addition from my part. Alone vs planes. Of course depending on the situation: point your nose or less pref your aft tot towards the torpedo planes and give broadside to bombers. Again: depending on the situation: it's better to eat a plane torp than a ship torp! And it's better to take your chance with a bomb drop (often they miss) than giving full broadside to 3 BB's.

The torp sinking. Learning by heart is 1 option. Know that DD's can have different torp range setups. Shimakaze f.e. has the choice of 20, 12 or 8 km range. (most people, me as well pick the 12's). Also there is a captain skill which reduces range but increases torp speed.

You might want to use Aslain's modpack. It's a legal modpack which gives nice additions to your UI and other perks. One of them is a line up in which the various speeds, gun/ torp ranges is shown. I'm not sure though if it's taking the different ranges/ perks into account. But it'll give you a rough idea. http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0702-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/

Last: it's a very, no extremely very good idea to make a intermediate "top" to T6. Grind out a few lines/ ship types (whether you like them or not: know thy foe) and grind on much later. I wish I did that in the beginning of my career. Don't worry about Ranked, CW or operations: they aren't going anywhere soon. You'll only have more fun in them when you're feeling comfortable in the lower tiers, like you said.

Really OP: I'd love to suggest to WG to make your post a mandatory learn by heart item in which they take a 3 hours exam which new players must answer 100% correctly before even starting their first match! +1 from me.

• Cool 2

Players
1,249 posts
3,476 battles
17 hours ago, DiMtopia said:

10. as i said in the first post i don't want to rush the tiers because i'll probably get to tier 8 unprepared, get my [edited]kicked and not only dislike it but also ruing games for others. however in doing so i'm missing on operations, ranked battles, clan battles and a whole range of missions and challenges. that seems like quite a lot of content i'm deliberately not accessing. ranked battles and clan battles i'm assuming are mostly for very good players so even if i had higher tier ships i probably wouldn't play those. the missions and challenges for tier 8+ seem quite difficult (might be wrong) so i'm not too concerned about those and assuming they don't expire i'll probably get to doing them at some point. however the operations thing does seem very appealing. from watching youtube vids i see that they're really interesting co-op scenarios that also have very nice rewards in terms of xp and credits.

11. the number of ships per team seems to vary quite a lot. i think the minimum i got was 6 and the max was 12. is this random? how's it calculated? isn't 6 too low of a number? get 2 afks in a 6 ship team and you're doomed. heck, even with 1 afk it would be an uphill struggle.

10) Regarding clan wars and ranked battles, as you said they are more for expert players, but that hasn't stopped newbies, noobs and [REDACTED] from taking part, too.:Smile_sceptic: Honestly, if you just want to enjoy the game, I'd recommend avoiding the ranked modes altogether - this current season I made it all the way to rank 6 +1 star , and then had such a bad losing streak I went all the way back to rank 7 +0 stars and gave up. After I gave up I found myself enjoying the game again! Go figure.

Ranked is open to T6 and T7 as well as T8, but it depends on the season.

11) You got 6 players per team in random battles? I can only assume you must play very late a night. Most of the time the MM fills up 12 player slots per team, only after 5mins have expired and there aren't enough players playing does it settle for less.

Oh, and AFKs are an uphill struggle regardless of how many there are per team. Only choice you have on the matter is to report the player as AFK and do your best.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles
4 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Most q's have been answered. And you might want to change the title of your post. These are the best questions I've seen in a long time. Really like your attitude! Small addition from my part. Alone vs planes. Of course depending on the situation: point your nose or less pref your aft tot towards the torpedo planes and give broadside to bombers. Again: depending on the situation: it's better to eat a plane torp than a ship torp! And it's better to take your chance with a bomb drop (often they miss) than giving full broadside to 3 BB's.

The torp sinking. Learning by heart is 1 option. Know that DD's can have different torp range setups. Shimakaze f.e. has the choice of 20, 12 or 8 km range. (most people, me as well pick the 12's). Also there is a captain skill which reduces range but increases torp speed.

You might want to use Aslain's modpack. It's a legal modpack which gives nice additions to your UI and other perks. One of them is a line up in which the various speeds, gun/ torp ranges is shown. I'm not sure though if it's taking the different ranges/ perks into account. But it'll give you a rough idea. http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0702-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/

Last: it's a very, no extremely very good idea to make a intermediate "top" to T6. Grind out a few lines/ ship types (whether you like them or not: know thy foe) and grind on much later. I wish I did that in the beginning of my career. Don't worry about Ranked, CW or operations: they aren't going anywhere soon. You'll only have more fun in them when you're feeling comfortable in the lower tiers, like you said.

Really OP: I'd love to suggest to WG to make your post a mandatory learn by heart item in which they take a 3 hours exam which new players must answer 100% correctly before even starting their first match! +1 from me.

thank you very much for your kind words.

i was reticent in installing a mod pack cause it's easy to go overboard and clutter the screen with tonnes of info without actually knowing how to put that info to good use. but i'll give aslain's a shot.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

10) Regarding clan wars and ranked battles, as you said they are more for expert players, but that hasn't stopped newbies, noobs and [REDACTED] from taking part, too.:Smile_sceptic: Honestly, if you just want to enjoy the game, I'd recommend avoiding the ranked modes altogether - this current season I made it all the way to rank 6 +1 star , and then had such a bad losing streak I went all the way back to rank 7 +0 stars and gave up. After I gave up I found myself enjoying the game again! Go figure.

11) You got 6 players per team in random battles? I can only assume you must play very late a night. Most of the time the MM fills up 12 player slots per team, only after 5mins have expired and there aren't enough players playing does it settle for less.

Oh, and AFKs are an uphill struggle regardless of how many there are per team. Only choice you have on the matter is to report the player as AFK and do your best.

i just noticed that this week's operation is for tier 6 and i checked other operations and there are only a few for tier 7+ so i guess i'll be fine sticking to tier 6 for a while.

as for playing time, i'm sort of a weekend warrior. :fish_viking:

during week-days between the job and doing homework with my kid i don't have much time for video games so weekend it is. the 6 players per team battle happened at about 7 am yesterday morning so i guess most of the EU was still asleep, hence the low number of online players. and once you factor in that i was playing tier 3-4 it's obvious why the matchmaker had some hiccups.

[BIF]
Players
47 posts
1,769 battles

I started Operations not long ago, great way to get some 10 point Captains, got German and USA from just a few  tries. I personally found Cleveland as a very good silver ship for Operations, i recommend it if you plan to research the US tech tree.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,822 posts
5,278 battles
18 hours ago, K82J said:

I started Operations not long ago, great way to get some 10 point Captains, got German and USA from just a few  tries. I personally found Cleveland as a very good silver ship for Operations, i recommend it if you plan to research the US tech tree.

Another reason to get Cleveland: there is apparently an upcoming split in the US cruiser line.

Cleveland will become a T8; if you already have the existing T6 incarnation, your ship will magically transform into the T8 version...

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles

thanks K82J and Verblonde.

I've not even started the us cruisers line, but you two just game me excellent reasons to do it.

can't wait for the weekend :)

• Cool 1

Players
958 posts
8,054 battles
Am 28.1.2018 um 12:45, Captain_LOZFFVII sagte:

Yeah THIS season is only open to T8 and up, which I think is a shame. Same for Clan Battles, which is why I'm currently grinding up to the Bismarck despite my earlier intentions.

[VAR]
Players
602 posts
7,695 battles
6 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yeah THIS season is only open to T8 and up, which I think is a shame. Same for Clan Battles, which is why I'm currently grinding up to the Bismarck despite my earlier intentions.

Clan battles are Tier X

[SM0KE]
Players
1,822 posts
5,278 battles
4 hours ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

Clan battles are Tier X

I think I read somewhere that they're doing the thing again where, if you play in a single random battle in a T8+, you automatically get three T10 loan ships.

Personally, I'll only be using them if my clan *really* doesn't have anyone competent available...!

[VAR]
Players
602 posts
7,695 battles
13 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I think I read somewhere that they're doing the thing again where, if you play in a single random battle in a T8+, you automatically get three T10 loan ships.

That is correct

[SCRUB]
Players
1,057 posts
7,669 battles

1. Know your enemy's torpedo range. They will sink upon reaching max range. You can find the torp ranges in tech tree. Are you going towards or away from him?

2. React to the planes, manouver your ship to be harder to hit by the torpedoes. Make the planes spend longer time in the air in order to shoot more of them down. As a destroyer, avoid being detected by the planes in the first place.

3. It is currently limited to +-1 for destroyers and battleships and +-2 for cruisers. There should be the same amount of top tier ships in each ship class.

4. +-2 tier difference in T5 and above, +-1 tier difference in T4 and below. T1 swims in its own pool.

5. Charge ahead and go sink to an unspotted fleet of ships is a bad plan. People want to see what the destroyers spot for the team and early game isn't very eventful for that reason. People are taking initial positions. Follow and support your DDs is a good plan. Stay maybe 6 km or so behind the DD until you know what's going on.

6. Yes, there's the filter list in bottom right corner near the carousel. The neon Myokos and Kongos are Arpeggio of Blue Steel content.

7. Yes. warships.today and wows numbers are such sites.

8. You can progress any way you like. Tier 7 is regarded as having the golden matchmaking. See my answer to question 4. for the reason. You can go T7 if you want. I myself stopped at T7 for multiple lines. You can grind the lines any order you like and that doesn't hinder your progress in any way. You don't have to "main" any line or ship type and can play every line of ships if you so want. There's ships to play and you get credits and xp for games. Your credit income won't get shafted at T7.

9. Aim and watch where your shells go. Then correct your aim. Good aim comes with practice and experience.

[POP]
Weekend Tester
501 posts

The best place to practice basics like shooting and such is coop. Training room is fine for testing weak points and such, but in coop your targets will actually be moving. Operations should also work, they're usually pretty action packed.

The answers to your next questions:

- Make the minimap BIG. Spend at least 70% of the time watching the minimap, that is where you will figure out where to go, who to shoot and where the torpedoes are coming from. You will usually not dodge torps if you start evasive action only after they've already been spotted.

- Add spotting distances, ship names and last known positions on the minimap (ctrl-click the cog icon on top right of the map in-game).

- Use shift to zoom in and out between volleys, mouse wheel is way way too slow. Zoom out every time you fire to observe your environment.

- Never fire torpedoes when your teammates MIGHT be in danger of sailing into them.

- Tiers 1-4 have +1 matchmaking, but when you get to tier 5 you'll start seeing tier 7 ships. Take your time going up tech trees, every time you go up a tier you get a dozen or so new ships whose capabilities you need to learn. Unfortunately, due to +2/-1 tiers matchmaking, tier 6 is probably not the most comfortable place to be.

- Try out different kinds of ships even if you favor a specific type. The game looks very different from the bridge of a DD compared to for example a BB. 

Sign in to follow this