Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
elblancogringo

Gascogne, an idea for the speed boost

11 comments in this topic

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

Dear all,

I will not discuss the stats, guns and dispersion of the first test of the Gascogne. I will only focus on the speed boost which I think could be modified in a way that makes it very interesting for french BBs.

I do hope this idea I've seen on a youtube comment will go to WG devs and that you guys will discuss it and give your opinion.

I would love to change the speed boost so that it reaches 20% more speed, but for a very short duration, and with a lot more charges of this consumable. That would make it a better tool to position the ship or avoid incoming torpedoes.

Thoughts?

• Cool 1

Players
858 posts
3,869 battles

I think giving a BB virtual immunity from torps would be game-breaking.

[NLWG]
[NLWG]
Players
120 posts
7,806 battles

Depends on the torp detection range. IJN torps might have issues but I can't see this saving you from Pan Asian torps.

I am basing this thought process on speed boost just boosting your top speed and not enhancing acceleration, apologies if I'm mistaken.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,655 posts
9,231 battles

How to fix the Gascogne:
Go back to the branch's drawing board.

Remove the T7 Lyon, put the Gascogne in its place, then remove the idiotic "spood beest+terrible accuracy" branch design. Put the citadels back above the waterline on T3-6 dreadnoughts.

You have the branch be average in most aspects with average to below average amount of guns, compensating with reliability.

Then you put a rift in the branch, like everyone else:
From T3-6, you have slow dreadnoughts with bad guns but with good accuracy, making you want to move up to actually do something.
From T7-10, you have faster ships with low amounts of guns that rely on good accuracy and good placement to deal damage, rather than rely on pure DPM.

However, to prevent long range pew pew, you have low range. A historical nod to poor FCS.

And there, you have a branch where skill over RNG prevails.
The FR BB branch isn't one people are going to flock to anyway, so there's absolutely no reason to make it newbie friendly.

Alternative to the Gascogne on T7: you put the Strasbourg. It's a Dunkerque, but a bit faster and more armored.

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
4,730 posts
4,886 battles

I really like Gascogne‘s looks but her current state doesn’t look promising.

@Exocet6951 I would love accurate skill based guns but there is a huge risk it would slaughter cruisers left right and center. Do you remember Gulio Cesare’s first iteration? Accurate BB guns are a problem in this game. 

I would love to see fast hit and run brawlers - medium survivability but decent protection at short range and high speed plus boost, short ranged artillery, dispersion doesn’t matter too much in this case, punchy guns and strong secondary guns to make ppl aware what to do with the line.

Currently the speedboost seems like a useless gimmick as it isn’t supporting the purpose / tactics of the ship. And it doesn’t really matter if it is +8 or +20%

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,655 posts
9,231 battles
4 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I really like Gascogne‘s looks but her current state doesn’t look promising.

@Exocet6951 I would love accurate skill based guns but there is a huge risk it would slaughter cruisers left right and center. Do you remember Gulio Cesare’s first iteration? Accurate BB guns are a problem in this game. 

I would love to see fast hit and run brawlers - medium survivability but decent protection at short range and high speed plus boost, short ranged artillery, dispersion doesn’t matter too much in this case, punchy guns and strong secondary guns to make ppl aware what to do with the line.

Currently the speedboost seems like a useless gimmick as it isn’t supporting the purpose / tactics of the ship.

Of course, care would need to be taken.
But low concealment and below average range, along with accuracy tweaking should help with that, in theory.

But that's just one option.
That's the one that could be used for Italian BBs, for example.

I just want a branch of ships that's not one with a forced consumable that brings NOTHING to the table, and generally just relies on RNG.

• Cool 2

[AMOK]
Players
947 posts
5,680 battles

I fear she will stay this way and they just lower the reload to get out more inaccurate shots...I don´t see any visions in the "national special features" of the last BB lines.

They run in a dead end with this national-gimmick way to design their lines.

[DREAD]
Players
4,730 posts
4,886 battles
3 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

I fear she will stay this way and they just lower the reload to get out more inaccurate shots...I don´t see any visions in the "national special features" of the last BB lines.

They run in a dead end with this national-gimmick way to design their lines.

Yes but they do so because they look at it from a gimmick perspective rather than a design philosophy perspective. There are distinct design philosophies on ship building per nation so they can be leveraged in fact. The US AA focus and the German survivability focus are good examples. Why WG thought IJN BBs should be snipers is beyond me, quite the opposite was the case. A national trait would rather be “massively overgunned vs bad damage control”. The RN trait would be for the most part “be the first with larger calibers but apart from that rather standard”. 

The French were pretty innovative in terms of designs (and I am not really talking only about quad turrets here). Not sure how that would be translated into the game though.

I don’t mind bad dispersion as long as there is still a clear purpose / role. I mean the hit&run was just an example of what you can do with a speedboost. I think in general high speed goes well with short range artillery but WG seems to have a different opinion. The Dreadnoughts are one thing (3-5) they will be fine. 6/7 is fantasy garbage and for the rest WG doesn’t seem to have a plan.

How about a Battlecruiser style of play?

[AMOK]
Players
947 posts
5,680 battles

@1MajorKoenig entirely to your mind.

Maybe it's presumptuous to expect a bricklayer to design complex structures of wood, steel or concrete. :Smile_teethhappy:

As mentioned there would have been some possibilities to create Lines with different specs without being to gimmicky.

Sign in to follow this