You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DumbleDerp

Throwing 5 Star Op Missions - Intentional/Incompetent

17 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
657 posts

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been active on the forums, but I have been playing a little WoWs lately in between all the other things I've got going on. I'll been playing the hell out of the operations and have been noticing a disturbing and reoccurring action by a tiny minority of players - I have searched for this topic but couldn't find it - happy to be directed.

I've been playing Op Killer Whale a lot and have had a number of battles where we reach 5 stars and when this happens, one player per battle seems to do everything they can to cause a defeat right at the last second by sailing out of the exit point. This morning alone I've had a 5 star defeat because one sailed out at the last moment, after sitting perfectly still on the edge. Again just before deciding the write this, a Warspite turned away from the exit and sailed away. We were only saved at the last moment but a heroic Graf Spee Captain (Juvenis80 - hero! :Smile_honoring:) who sailed into some torps and snatching victory back in the last 5 minutes.

I just wanted to know how common this situation is among the community. I surely can't be the only one?

It's exceptionally frustrating that the whole team puts effort into working together and that one person has the power, for whatever reason to screw it all up.... thoughts?

:Smile_honoring:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,216 posts
7,017 battles

Yeah, Some people... Had one 2 days ago that went "no cap, kill all" in chat. He sailed out with 2 minutes left. Luckily the rest of the team was moving towards it and we finished it with 1 minute left on the clock with 4 stars (the V-170 got into the base, because that is also a thing that is too hard to understand for most players.

Generally I feel the problem is that even though the missions are quite clear most of the time, I feel like a lot of people just cannot be bothered to read anything.

Although I like the operations, they are way too hard for the general population, yet waaaaay too easy if you have a division of at least 3-4 (lets not talk about 7 capable people. In Scrubs that mostly becomes a "who can do most damage" and "Let's shoot and block off division mates".

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,927 posts
17 minutes ago, Loran_Battle said:

(...)

I feel like a lot of people just cannot be bothered to read anything.

(...)

That's why pictograms are so common nowadays... :Smile_teethhappy:

34 minutes ago, DumbleDerp said:

It's exceptionally frustrating that the whole team puts effort into working together and that one person has the power, for whatever reason to screw it all up.... thoughts?

:Smile_honoring:

Only one I can honestly give is just ignore and move on. People sometimes derp and more often just make bad decisions (or are devoided of any skill). Not much you can do about it.

I still try to explain and now and then I'm surprised by "Sorry, I screwed up". After all it is online gaming. You can't rely on random people - same in real life.

In case of deliberate douchbags though... I still advocate naming and shaming.

Of course not on forums, since it is forbidden by WG, but severe cases I wouldn't mind if made their way on YT...

Beta Tester
657 posts
2 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Of course not on forums, since it is forbidden by WG, but severe cases I wouldn't mind if made their way on YT...

Well one replay I have sent to a YTuber, but I doubt it'll be featured. That replay was so painfully deliberate :Smile_facepalm:

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
7 minutes ago, Acetessigester said:

In this operation we can find easily how many players are blind or braindead.

you can find that easily in random :Smile_trollface:

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,649 posts
9,230 battles
20 minutes ago, Acetessigester said:

In this operation we can find easily how many players are blind or braindead.

I honestly believe that a large part of the playerbase is simply unable to read.

Beta Tester
1,882 posts
2,083 battles

The behaviour you speak of, OP, is unfortunately far from uncommon.

We were nearing a five-star completion in 'Killer Whale' a few days ago, and the last surviving player, in a Cleveland, was cruising just outside the exit point. He had performed well so far, and there was no reason to suspect that anything would go wrong - but since it can be rather easy to forget the time limit in the heat of battle, I typed a message in the chat, "please go to exit, 1 min 40 sec left".

The Cleveland responded by turning away from the exit point, and then kept driving in circles until the time ran out and we failed the operation.

Now, people in general don't like to be told what to do by complete strangers. I'm sure we have all been there to see how provoking it can be when one player goes off like some kind of self-appointed admiral and starts issuing "orders" to the rest of the team. But a simple heads up on the time limit? What level of personal insecurity is required to take offense at that? And then we have the other, more malign personality type, that actually gets a power thrill out of sabotaging the game experience for others.

Fortunately, in WoWs, there is an easy remedy: Simply play another game. Now and then, we have to endure a truly obnoxious individual performing acts of meaningless spite for fifteen minutes or so - and that's it. We click the battle button, and leave the snarks and grumpkins behind us. They, on the other hand, must live with themselves for the rest of their lives.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles
1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

I honestly believe that a large part of the playerbase is simply unable to read.

Naw, they'd have to be able to read in order to install and launch the game.

It's even worse because those players evidently are simply willfully ignorant and could easily not do the stupid things if they ever bothered to learn, but they actively choose not to.

[SNUBS]
Players
1,244 posts
6,395 battles
3 hours ago, Loran_Battle said:

Let's shoot and block off division mates".

this is my favorite game mode :D 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles
1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

Naw, they'd have to be able to read in order to install and launch the game.

It's even worse because those players evidently are simply willfully ignorant and could easily not do the stupid things if they ever bothered to learn, but they actively choose not to.

Beta Tester
657 posts

I do wonder if perhaps an element of this is that the player in question feels they had a bad game and so intentionally screws the game over to get another chance on their <50% XP bonus... of course, that's just cynical of me right?

[NWP]
Players
3,192 posts
5,586 battles
3 hours ago, DumbleDerp said:

one player per battle seems to do everything they can to cause a defeat right at the last second by sailing out of the exit point.

Only one player? Lucky you :cap_fainting:

Sometimes i wish i could TK, so i would just kill them in order to get the mission done. Somehow this week wasnt as bad as before, mostly there was no problems to get enough player in the cap.

I dunno why they do it, i simply think they dont understand that they actually have to get in the circle. Basicly it wouldnt even that bad to farm some more damage at the end, but then u would need atleast 3 ppl camping right at the border sailing in within the last 20 secs or so. I wouldnt try that with random ppl in it tho.

Players
306 posts
5,552 battles
8 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

but then u would need atleast 3 ppl camping right at the border sailing in within the last 20 secs or so. I wouldnt try that with random ppl in it tho.

I thought random people were the best ones for doing that though?

• Funny 1

Players
1,278 posts
5,079 battles

I saw an Aoba "accidentally" throw this Op. The exit point was in the North and, with 5 ships left, two of us entered the exit point while the Aoba sat about five hundred metres outside (about 20 seconds from standstill) and the other two went after the last CV. With about a minute or so left the Aoba said he'll enter exit point (and win the Op) near the end so we could farm more damage on the Wave of Bots that appear in the North while we're just yelling in chat to enter the exit point and win.

With about 30 seconds to go he starts sailing towards the cap only to get his engine knocked out only, as he's not on fire and he's still firing his guns, he's not noticed that he's slowing down so has repaired the damage. About 15 sec before times up he realises and repairs his engine but it's too late and , with 3 out of 5 ships not in spawn, we lost the game.

It took a great deal of control not to rage but to see the "funny" side of that.

Players
97 posts
5,775 battles

There's a reason I only do operations with clan mates. This is it.

Seriously, clan up and do them with 5-6 clan mates. That way randoms rarely get the chance to ruin it for you.