Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_xoVCh3ghW9FC

WoW official video on aiming and firing

4 comments in this topic

Question

Players
12 posts

Hi there,

I looked at all the lessons that are related to WoW, how to sail, ships types, guns etc. At a point it said in the next lesson I will learn how to aim. No lesson found. I searched web and I found a video of a guy. Quite impressive but the only issue is that still not clear how to properly aim when a ship is sailing away from you or is coming in an angle constantly changing direction.

I also found an ineresting crosshair. It is numbered 12. I found that in most ocassions the ships that are sailing in an angle are positioned as the lines designed in that crosshair. Still I found difficult to relate the direction and the lead when alligning some lines with a ship's direction.

Not to mention that in the YouTube video explaining basics of aiming the guy was playing with a Tirpitz and somehow the shells tended to stay grouped. When I am firing with my Gneisenau BB it is like I am firing using a sprinkler. It is true that on Upgrades section I choosed MAIN BATTERY MODIFICATION in order to reload main guns faster and to rotate them at a higher rate. But I doubt that the firing will improve if I would install Aiming Systems Modification 1. Or maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, is there an official video on how to properly aim on different situations? Not all the players are actually sailing broadside.

Thank you.

Sebastian

3 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
Players
3,792 posts
6,526 battles

Almost 1.3k battles played an you still can't aim? :Smile_teethhappy:

You an watch all kinds of videos all you want, aiming comes down to personal practice. Playing VS bots will give you the easiest situations where to practice, just go do that. Also set "Alternative interface" to "Full" in your settings

8 hours ago, sebdea said:

with a Tirpitz and somehow the shells tended to stay grouped

I choosed MAIN BATTERY MODIFICATION in order to reload main guns faster and to rotate them at a higher rate.

Read carefully, what does the description say?

+15% turret traverse speed = faster turret traverse

+5% reload time = 5% longer reload

VSIMhZK.jpg

But I doubt that the firing will improve if I would install Aiming Systems Modification 1. Or maybe I am wrong.

In your case probably wouldn't do much, it's your tactics that need to change.

Going by your stats I'll take a guess that your playstyle is "me has 20km me be a sniper at max range!!1!!" which is why you fail. Stop humping borders and get CLOSER

Anyway, is there an official video on how to properly aim on different situations? Not all the players are actually sailing broadside.

There are no tutorials at all, at least not from WG. Aiming is literally just practice, practice and more practice

Players
12 posts

Well, thank you very much. Indeed I tried to stay on the safe side as long as: my aiming sucks, I got all sorts of penalties while some of my team mates are sailing their ships into my starboard or stern. Ohh, not to mention the friendly torps some are just firing no matter who is in their way.

Also I tried to stay as far as possible away of sailing broadside while I found it quite impossible when things get very messy. But you are right. I cannot sunk ships while I am hidding hopping to have just a couple of broken windows and a couple of scretch on my paint.

What I am more concerned is that I am doing the exact definition of insanity: doing same error over and over again hoping for a different result. Playing with bots was my first error that made me think I am good. While in Cop games I am sinking 3-4 ships depening the ship I am sailing on real games with real players I am always wearing an big bullseye on my ship. All players are simply practicing aiming on me.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I really apreciate it.

Sebastian

[SB]
Players
47 posts
1,250 battles
On 1/23/2018 at 6:00 PM, sebdea said:

Well, thank you very much. Indeed I tried to stay on the safe side as long as: my aiming sucks, I got all sorts of penalties while some of my team mates are sailing their ships into my starboard or stern. Ohh, not to mention the friendly torps some are just firing no matter who is in their way.

Also I tried to stay as far as possible away of sailing broadside while I found it quite impossible when things get very messy. But you are right. I cannot sunk ships while I am hidding hopping to have just a couple of broken windows and a couple of scretch on my paint.

What I am more concerned is that I am doing the exact definition of insanity: doing same error over and over again hoping for a different result. Playing with bots was my first error that made me think I am good. While in Cop games I am sinking 3-4 ships depening the ship I am sailing on real games with real players I am always wearing an big bullseye on my ship. All players are simply practicing aiming on me.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I really apreciate it.

Sebastian

One thing I found helped me immensely is the Nomogram Crosshair mod, MajorRenegade's icons mod and target direction lines mod just for a few patches (I prefer Aslain's Modpack installer).

See, aiming drove me bonkers in this game. The static crosshairs have notches on them that might as well be decoration: They are scaled for a target at 30 knots at a certain range when at max zoom. The problem is that it stays the same for every zoom level. I found conflicting data and frankly never figured out what distance they're scaled for and/or if they're scaled for something else zoomed out. The dynamic is slightly better, as that scales the distance between notches with zoom. You can zoom out a bit and still lead the same number of notches to land shots at the same place relative to your target. Makes it a lot easier to land shots when for whatever reason you need to zoom out, but it still means that when you switch ships that have vastly different shell characteristics you'll need to learn how to aim all over again. See, there is a sneaky little detail that caught me out a lot.

The sights don't care one iota what the distance to your target is.

Take a ship broadside on a fair distance away. It will take a few moments for the bow to pass between a single notch (both in static and dynamic view), as it needs to sail a relatively long distance. Now imagine a ship so close it's practically scraping the paint from your hull. The bow will now pass between the notch in a second or so, because it's so close the relative distance it needs to travel is tiny. I can sketch this out in paint if you want.

So what does this all have to do with the Nomogram crosshair? Well, this sight does care about the distance to target. Let's grab a practical example to see how it works. You need to install the mod. Go into settings and enable the dynamic sight (controls tab) as well as the alternative battle interface (or press alt mid battle). Then, into battle we go and an enemy ship sails within range. Press shift and watch something magical happen: Two bars with notches that change in size! This sight comes with two scales. The bottom one is for 20 knots and the top is scaled for 30 knots, no matter the distance to target.

Target 1: A cruiser broadside on sailing about 30 knots. We look at our shell flight time, then to the top scale and match them. If the flight time is 2 seconds, that is 2 notches on the sight. 5 seconds to target, 5 notches. 10 seconds, 10 notches.

Target 2: A DD broadside on with engine boost enabled, about 40 knots. Take the bottom sight and cut the values in half, as 2*20=40. So a flight time of 3 seconds translates to 6 notches, and a flight time of 5 seconds to 10 notches.

Target 3: A cruiser broadside on around 25 knots. 25 is exactly between 20 and 30, so the same applies to our sight: A flight time of 4 seconds means you aim at the midway point between the top 4 notches and the bottom 4 notches.

Target 4: The cruiser, tired of showing broadside, turns away at an angle. Here's where the target direction lines mod comes in immensely handy. Aim off to the side first as per the first example. Look at the minimap and you'll see a little cross where you are currently aiming and the course of the target. Line up your aimpoint with the indicated course, with the distance you just determined by aiming off to the side. Enjoy the ensuing salt.

So how do I know the speed of my targets? Two things. One is the smoke from the stack: The angle the smoke comes out of the stack is directly proportional to what speed it set the engine to. Full speed ahead is the steepest of course, with shallower angles for three quarters, half, and quarter speed. No smoke means it's stationary. The second thing is my cheat sheet: MajorRenegade's icons mod has the ship's max speed listed in their icon. So for example I see a Kongo going at full tilt. I can check the icon to see that is 30 knots, and now I know what scale to use.

After a while aiming becomes second nature and you'll have to rely less and less on calculations, but if you're like me and like to aim by the numbers you'll soon learn to love this sight.

Sign in to follow this