You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
jako737

RN Duca degli Abruzzi, any change planned?

14 comments in this topic

[X_MAS]
Players
58 posts
6,509 battles

Hi all,

As we have seen in the reviews of the WiP Duca degli Abruzzi, the ship is in a very "meh" state.

I'm fine with it being a glass cannon. Being a cruiser main i am quite used to the consequences of broadsiding ecc, but as of now it also lacks heavily in the dmg dealing department. 
Is there any plan to change it before release? I am really in a "take my money!" state of mind , but not in the current state.

Thanks a lot

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,050 posts
13,766 battles

Italian cruisers currently appear to be built as utility cruisers with a high load of consumables that they trade for actual ship performance outside of the performance of their guns. I do not believe that this will change anytime soon.

[X_MAS]
Players
58 posts
6,509 battles

thanks a lot for you answers guys. 

It's a bid sad as , being italian and cruiser main, i whished they were somewhat better at something.

Not great in every respect, but better at something or at least competitive...and with those gun performance coupled with being very fragile they are really not :(

[CR-S]
Players
335 posts
17,906 battles
3 minutes ago, jako737 said:

i whished they were somewhat better at something

For example Duca d Aosta is good at poking an enemy and running away (fast). I protect allies with hydro + defAA (versatile). Occasionaly perforating a cruiser-citadel (great AP) or laughing when someone actually manages to run into my floating mines (long-range torps). I don´t deal a lot of damage in her but mostly get a good score. So they are good at supporting the team. Just as @dasCKD said, they are utility ships.

But really, where is the D.d.Abruzzi? Since she seems to be meh they could make her a freeXP-ship.

I enjoy both of my Italian ships a lot and am impatient for the D.d.Abruzzi :fish_nerv:

Beta Tester
4,089 posts
732 battles

WG was hit by a dose of reality, when they suddenly realized that, having overtiered the Aosta and gotten away with it, they couldn't do the same with the Abruzzi.

The guns, IRL an improvement over the 152 mm mounted on the previous light cruisers, in-game are a downgrade because they lose the insane muzzle velocity, and keep the ridicolous HE. The RoF buff, warranted in any case, isn't enough; and neither is the odd buff to gun elevation rates. :Smile_amazed:

The armor is difficult, but WG weirdly decided to keep the belt as it is, even though it does nothing but make the whole thing weaker; I acknowledge it was easier, but on Roma they merely slapped it all together, and it is fine. Instead, now we have a cruiser with nothing like the purported protection it was supposed to have IRL.

So, you have an incredibly stealthy cruiser that is unable to put the hurt on enemy ships and is unable to take their fire.

And what did testing prove?

Big surprise: the Abruzzi underperforms! What a shocker!

joker.gif

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
68 posts
3,807 battles

So it seems they are puzzled... no idea of how to deal with it.

Well, I love italian ships, but I'm really depressed by D'Aosta (I got a kraken on it!)... I dont like its gameplay. If it's like that, I will skip Abruzzi and keep on playing Roma and Cesare.

[FAILS]
Players
72 posts
12,303 battles

I am also a bit puzzle with what WG is aiming at with Italian cruisers. As multiple people already said, the Duca d'Aosta, while a fun (and gorgeous) ship is overtiered already, and so is the Abruzzi. Imo, one of the 8-gun versions of the Condottieri class at t5 and then the Abruzzi sub-class at t6 would have been the way to go. Now we get a t7 premium that doesn't know what it is. Also, what will we get in the tech tree? A change to heavy cruisers at t7 with the Trento or artificially up-tier a light cruiser yet again?

Players
841 posts
6,895 battles

An Italian Heavy at VII would be preferable but I'd rather have the Zara class..... Trento at VII would be Pensacola Mark II. 

[FAILS]
Players
72 posts
12,303 battles

Well, you would get Zara at t8 that way, if my mind-drawn tech tree is anything to go by.

Players
841 posts
6,895 battles

Bolzano would be more fun at VIII - she's pretty much on a par with Algerie. I would like the Treaty Heavy cruisers to start at VI, TBH.... those early 1930s ships end up facing Tier IX otherwise, it's not that much fun.

Players
841 posts
6,895 battles

As a random thought, the MM could take into account the average performance of the ships when deciding on the Tier range. That way everything wouldn't have to be quite so balanced....

[OGHF]
Players
544 posts
10,389 battles
On 23/01/2018 at 12:58 AM, jako737 said:

thanks a lot for you answers guys. 

It's a bid sad as , being italian and cruiser main, i whished they were somewhat better at something.

Not great in every respect, but better at something or at least competitive...and with those gun performance coupled with being very fragile they are really not :(

Lol, try the RN CL line, now they are great if played like a DD, but try not to play it as a cruiser and go against BB’s, not wise, one salvo and bye, bye.

[X_MAS]
Players
58 posts
6,509 battles
15 minuti fa, Cyclops_ ha scritto:

Lol, try the RN CL line, now they are great if played like a DD, but try not to play it as a cruiser and go against BB’s, not wise, one salvo and bye, bye.

Before "lolling" dude, i got a minotaur so....i know it all too well. Except minotaur can be devastating if properly used. Italian cruisers simply can't even talking at their tiers. They can be just "meh" supporters, doing chip damage here and there. But lack completely the ability to be a real threat for cruiser and bbs.