Sign in to follow this  
_Montagne

How to avoid getting Penertrated?

20 comments in this topic

[RAGE]
Players
39 posts
10,342 battles

Someone please tell me what am I supposed to do when a BB fires AP at my destroyer. Am I supposed to

A:  Angle in/out so most of the shells miss and get penetrated for lots of damage.

or

B: Give broadside so that few shells hit and get 1/2 your health gone.

Seriously, this issue is SOOO annoying. This is extremely annoying in Ranked. I do not mind if bb pen Russian dd.

DD life: Fire few torps at target either hit because their idiots or miss because of hydro, planes.etc... Get spotted by radar, everyone shoots you die. 

Demonstrated by Yuro

Modder, Players, In AlfaTesters, Beta Tester
3,686 posts
6,647 battles

Broadside is the answer you are looking for. Because broadside hits are more likely to be overpens.

[POI--]
Players
3,385 posts
4,523 battles

Broadside. The only reason I'd ever angle away is if I was already hightailing out of detection/radar/hydro range and get shot at by BB while doing that, in which case, last ditch emergency jerking and praying to RNGesus.

This is one of those situations where you are going to get wrecked regardless of what you do, just that you should opt for the solution that is less likely to result in getting deleted. Hopefully one day DDs won't get that easily deleted by BBs anymore, but well.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,926 posts
13,414 battles

Neither is a safe bet against it as deck and below waterline hits will always result in penetration damage.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,089 posts
2,419 battles

Best way is not to get hit. If an ap hit cannot be avoided, showing broadside would be best and hope you only eat over pens. 

Otherwise show the least possible profile and hope he misses. 

If all else fails, get a chastity belt. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

You're small, fast and maneuverable. Use those to avoid being hit as best you can in the first place, deliberately holding a broadside to someone shooting at you in an attempt to mitigate incoming damage is awful advice. Chances are all the shots are going to miss anyway unless you're close range, but no sense making it any easier by continuing to sail right into the spot that was aimed for.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,970 posts
11,387 battles

Not being revealed in the first place is the way not to take big AP damage in a DD.

A lot of the time, being shot at by BBs in a DD means you've made a mistake somewhere...

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
470 posts
5,755 battles

Found out when u play the Gearing it doesn`t matter if u angle or not. U take full damage most of the times.

But I angle so I show a narrow ship as possible.

[-AGP-]
[-AGP-]
Players
0 posts

DD driving is not about angling and bouncing shells. It's all about not getting hit at all - and having a little luck on RNG.

So don't move in predictable patterns. If multiple shells can hit you from 9.6km you're doing it wrong.

• Cool 1

Players
942 posts
5,081 battles

I disagree with the give broadside advices.

It's better to dodge / juke and avoid as much shells as possible. Showing broadside - especially at shorter range - means you are more likely to catch a full salvo. At longer ranges it doesn't really matter if you show broadside or not. It's a lottery in which you sometimes take a full pen,  it has nothing to do with how you present yourself as a target. Like @El2aZeR said deck hits will probably produce full pens from plunging fire anyway.

p.s. penertrated

[ALYEN]
Players
616 posts
2,198 battles

Sorry for the necro, I did not want to open a new thread for this.

Anyway I found use for the T10 rental ships finally, I took the Conqueror with 457mm guns into a training room against RU T7 up to T10 DDs (have to retest with Bismarck).

For all of the targets, waterline shots from ANY distance (even as low as 5km, where the shell has plenty of overpen and speed) result in full penetration damage on broadside DDs. I noticed in the "How it works" series that they mentioned that AP shells arm automatically when they hit water. I wanted to test it and it's definitely true.

So no matter what armor values they change for DDs, they'll be always getting full pen damage from BBs as long as the BB shell touches water before penetrating the DD hull. ATM, broadside is the safer option, but since most BB captains aim at the waterline anyway to reach citadels, it's still not safe.

Players
749 posts
6,697 battles

its just stupid game design.  a battleship should have to switch to HE to do significant damage to a destroyer with main battery guns.  I mean the in game description also talks about overpens doing less damage.  what on earth causes overpens if not less than 19mm armour on a DD?  however you angle 19mm of armour 16 inch AP or bigger should go straight through without arming and do about 100 damage per hit.  not take at least half your health.  this needs fixing asap

Beta Tester
1,835 posts
2,560 battles

My answer remains the same as it was in Febuary: Don't get hit in the first place.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
445 posts
2,788 battles

Use WASD and don't get hit ;) 

[B4P]
Beta Tester
23 posts
4,160 battles

If you angle in paperlike DD then shell should easily explode under your hull. Basically RNG is just a lottery so theres no option to avoid penetration or detonation for 100%.

Beta Tester
1,835 posts
2,560 battles
28 minutes ago, Cainzr said:

If you angle in paperlike DD then shell should easily explode under your hull. Basically RNG is just a lottery so theres no option to avoid penetration or detonation for 100%.

A shell exploding under the hull is actually a really, really, bad thing, in case you aren't aware. 

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
616 posts
2,198 battles
17 hours ago, lafeel said:

A shell exploding under the hull is actually a really, really, bad thing, in case you aren't aware. 

IRL maybe, in the game not so much.

[MACLD]
Players
11 posts
2,944 battles
On 23-1-2018 at 2:50 PM, rvfharrier said:

You're small, fast and maneuverable.

*Looks at Akizuki* You're...

out of luck. Better pop smoke.

O, right...radar.

Sign in to follow this