Sign in to follow this  
TheFurst

New player - Progress report

22 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
273 battles

Cheers!

Now after almost two weeks into the game i felt it was about time for myself to get some kind of summary out of it. Reason for it occuring so early is probably that im familiar with the WG titles and similarities are all over the place, which eventually speeds up this progress.

However, after being welcomed with a gift code -thanks again for this, it made some things easier- i am on the edge to arrive at tier 7 in the game. So, how was the journey? I'd give it a 5/10 so far. Even though the game is quite good at being an arcade shooter, the usual mechanics become apparent quite fast. The necessity to invest money to avoid shortages or annoyances feels way stronger than in WoT or WoWP in comparison. Its not that much of a problem since a game deserves to be supported if one enjoys it, but it seems that in this title its definitely a bit out of proportions and the circumstance that gold from the regular WG account is not shared here does not improve the overall taste.

The playerbase appears to be significantly smaller than in WoT and up to tier IV the game provides that typical low tier feel. It appears to be relatively forgiving and fast paced, but tier V changes this drastically. Suddenly the game decides its time for a huge skill gap and the most helpful information to bypass this is to gain tips and hints from external sources. The battle interface to me is rather mediocre and lacks options for customization, but luckily there are some mods out there. The hangar interface appears to be stuffed with information and options which could use some more explanation or details. Even though there is the introduction up to rank 15 and its incentives feel quite beneficial, but that only covers some basics.

After i got familiar with the point and click adventure which are the orders / events / operations opportunities i was quite settled to realize that there are indeed options for new players to at least somehow meet advanced or veteran players "at eye level". A high skilled captain, loads of flags and camo etc. make it seem more rewarding in theory. Thats not debating map knowledge or professional ship and class utilization. Nevertheless, why is there a necessity to be in a division to participate in the operations? Given the small playerbase it is not that easy of a task to be able to do so successfully, if one does not have hours and hours of free time to find available players, which do not only want to promote their clan and leave with a trail of dust and questionmarks. This feels like one of the bigger unsubstantiated obstacles. Aint nobody got time for that.

Speaking of knowledge and skill, after finishing the low tier progress it felt a bit discouraging to constantly find teams in tiers VI and higher which remind me that it is indeed a free to play game. Giving up 3/4 of map control within the first two minutes seems to be a thing. Anyway, im sure ill find ways to adapt with that similar as i did in WoT. However, i probably did not expect it to have such an impact since its a rather slow paced game which on average allows more time to think about your moves and its not rocket science. Seems like i forgot to mention the more than usual amount of teamkillers yet!

Ill see how long the game will hold me, but since the days of Silent Hunter 3 are pretty much long gone and im happy that ive finally found a naval game which somehow suits my taste ill stick to it.

Somehow mediocre regards!

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,950 posts
6,900 battles
5 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

why is there a necessity to be in a division to participate in the operations?

Operation of the Week can be played solo. The weekly operation changes, well, weekly. If you want to play operations that are not the current "Operation of the Week", then you indeed need to be in a division.

Killer Whale is the current operation of the week, and can be played solo atm.

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 15 Minuten, WolfGewehr sagte:

Operation of the Week can be played solo. The weekly operation changes, well, weekly. If you want to play operations that are not the current "Operation of the Week", then you indeed need to be in a division.

Killer Whale is the current operation of the week, and can be played solo atm.

Thats correct. Also very satisfying when you finish the mission and finally having a good captain in your barracks, but then you click on the other operations and the game does not allow you to do so. Having the main goal to get the 10 skill captains out of all operations this seems unjustified and weird given the huge lack of options to bypass that barrier.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,285 battles
1 hour ago, TheFurst said:

Cheers!

Now after almost two weeks into the game i felt it was about time for myself to get some kind of summary out of it. Reason for it occuring so early is probably that im familiar with the WG titles and similarities are all over the place, which eventually speeds up this progress.

However, after being welcomed with a gift code -thanks again for this, it made some things easier- i am on the edge to arrive at tier 7 in the game. So, how was the journey? I'd give it a 5/10 so far. Even though the game is quite good at being an arcade shooter, the usual mechanics become apparent quite fast. The necessity to invest money to avoid shortages or annoyances feels way stronger than in WoT or WoWP in comparison. Its not that much of a problem since a game deserves to be supported if one enjoys it, but it seems that in this title its definitely a bit out of proportions and the circumstance that gold from the regular WG account is not shared here does not improve the overall taste.

The playerbase appears to be significantly smaller than in WoT and up to tier IV the game provides that typical low tier feel. It appears to be relatively forgiving and fast paced, but tier V changes this drastically. Suddenly the game decides its time for a huge skill gap and the most helpful information to bypass this is to gain tips and hints from external sources. The battle interface to me is rather mediocre and lacks options for customization, but luckily there are some mods out there. The hangar interface appears to be stuffed with information and options which could use some more explanation or details. Even though there is the introduction up to rank 15 and its incentives feel quite beneficial, but that only covers some basics.

After i got familiar with the point and click adventure which are the orders / events / operations opportunities i was quite settled to realize that there are indeed options for new players to at least somehow meet advanced or veteran players "at eye level". A high skilled captain, loads of flags and camo etc. make it seem more rewarding in theory. Thats not debating map knowledge or professional ship and class utilization. Nevertheless, why is there a necessity to be in a division to participate in the operations? Given the small playerbase it is not that easy of a task to be able to do so successfully, if one does not have hours and hours of free time to find available players, which do not only want to promote their clan and leave with a trail of dust and questionmarks. This feels like one of the bigger unsubstantiated obstacles. Aint nobody got time for that.

Speaking of knowledge and skill, after finishing the low tier progress it felt a bit discouraging to constantly find teams in tiers VI and higher which remind me that it is indeed a free to play game. Giving up 3/4 of map control within the first two minutes seems to be thing. Anyway, im sure ill find ways to adapt with that similar as i did in WoT. However, i probably did not expect it to have such an impact since its a rather slow paced game which on average allows more time to think about your moves and its not rocket science. Seems like i forgot to mention the more than usual amount of teamkillers yet!

Ill see how long the game will hold me, but since the days of Silent Hunter 3 are pretty much long gone and im happy that ive finally found a naval game which somehow suits my taste ill stick to it.

Somehow mediocre regards!

Regarding the economics; tiers 9 and 10 aside, if you find yourself losing credits in this game something is going wrong...

With but 130 battles under your belt, I would definetly not reccomend playing your new tier 7 ships too often. By all means, play the ships you want, but if you find yourself making a loss at the tiers where many of us are in fact earning the most credits, you might need to reconsider. Briefly going over your stats tells me that you, as described, enjoyed good performance in the lower tiers. This is good news, as it means that, in conjunction with your obvious will to learn, you also have the ability to become a really good player in this game. However, your average damage and PR values steadily dropped after making the tier V jump (Which comes with a whole bunch of new stuff, like manual dropping CVs, more apparent ship play styles, bigger maps, radar and effective sonar etc.).

If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, I think you will come quite far in this game. Though if you have not already watched some Ichase Tutorials (some are slightly outdated, but still relevant in the greater scheme of things), I would definetly reccomend doing so!

• Cool 2

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, gekkehenkie50 sagte:

Regarding the economics; tiers 9 and 10 aside, if you find yourself losing credits in this game something is going wrong...

With but 130 battles under your belt, I would definetly not reccomend playing your new tier 7 ships too often. By all means, play the ships you want, but if you find yourself making a loss at the tiers where many of us are in fact earning the most credits, you might need to reconsider. Briefly going over your stats tells me that you, as described, enjoyed good performance in the lower tiers. This is good news, as it means that, in conjunction with your obvious will to learn, you also have the ability to become a really good player in this game. However, your average damage and PR values steadily dropped after making the tier V jump (Which comes with a whole bunch of new stuff, like manual dropping CVs, more apparent ship play styles, bigger maps, radar and effective sonar etc.).

If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, I think you will come quite far in this game. Though if you have not already watched some Ichase Tutorials (some are slightly outdated, but still relevant in the greater scheme of things), I would definetly reccomend doing so!

Thank you! Ive found his channel quite soon after i got into the game, nowadays its one of the first things for me to do when getting into a new game to consult youtube and google for more in depth information and experience. Very helpful indeed!

However, i think youve got me wrong a bit with the economics. Im not making a loss in battles, in contrast im getting flooded with credits and xp, at least until now which is tier 6. My comment was about dubloons, even though i might be biased by WoT. The proportions of the dubloon expenses are yet through the roof in my opinion.

Yea, ive got me one tier 7 premium DD to be able to participate in the operations, but i never got to it due to lack of players, tried a couple random battles instead to try it (bad decision, i know) and found myself in a league where i dont want to be and cant be in for now.

Youre absolutely right about the drop in efficiency for me in tiers above V. The feel that my impact in the match is significant went pretty much towards zero and i find myself commando in a bit too much and often, leading to me being surrounded and out of position to get proper support. So i still search for the most errors on my part ;) And like i said, coming from WoT im also familiar with questionable teams in WG games :D

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles

OP: What are you spending doubloons on? I'm another WOT convert, and the 'gold' economies strike me as reasonably similar +/-...

The main thing about this sort of thing that annoys me is that I don't believe you can stockpile consumables like you can in WOT (am I wrong - have I missed a really obvious button somewhere?), especially during 'sale' periods. That said, all the consumables can be bought with silver, so it's not really a big thing.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,065 posts
6,343 battles

Dude, I have almost... 4.000 battles or so and my battles on divisions barely reach 31. So... It's entirely possible to enjoy this game solo.

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Verblonde sagte:

OP: What are you spending doubloons on? I'm another WOT convert, and the 'gold' economies strike me as reasonably similar +/-...

The main thing about this sort of thing that annoys me is that I don't believe you can stockpile consumables like you can in WOT (am I wrong - have I missed a really obvious button somewhere?), especially during 'sale' periods. That said, all the consumables can be bought with silver, so it's not really a big thing.

The usual things like demounting items, retraining captains. Compared to the 10 Gold in WoT to remove a certain item, 25 obviously will grind through the reserves way faster for the identical service for instance. I didnt understand the availability and management with the camouflages yet, but im sure thats also a place to lose a lot.

As i understood it you can and you cant stockpile stuff. You can passively gain flags, signals, equipment and such as via missions etc, but there is no store to buy em. Kinda sad, true.

By the way, reached the tier V Königsberg today, such a fun to play it! Really enjoyable.

Players
23 posts
7,305 battles

Re gold spend

Demounting modules - its easier just to sell the ship with the modules and rebuy them for the next ship using silver credits.

Premium consumables - these are very useful and the default seems to be set to use gold, but if you click on the gold, it will put up a small pulldown menu and you can pay for them in silver.

Capt reskilling. You can use gold but it is far easier to use credits, free xp and premium ships. A commander in a new ship uses his skills a half level until retrained. You can reduce the amount of XP needed to reskill simply by paying 200K silver. Then there are 2 options 1): use free xp and commander XP to finish the retraining (use the + box next to the commander). 2) Put the commander in a premium ship until he is retrained. His skills work at full level in a premium ships. Just make sure you started the retraining to the next ship before moving him across to the premium. You should not really need to use gold unless you want to skip some of the grind.

[ADRIA]
Players
3,797 posts
6,526 battles
34 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

Compared to the 10 Gold in WoT to remove a certain item, 25 obviously will grind through the reserves way faster for the identical service for instance.

You can earn so much credits so quickly in WoWS compared to WoT that you can easily just buy new modules for each ship. As F2P player I've still never de-mounted anything except on some special when it's for free bcuz why the hell not

38 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

retraining captains

Ship-to-ship - if it's at least 10k XP for 50% retraining just go with 200k credits, later on you'll get Elite Cpt XP to make it even faster. If you get less than 10k Xp for partial retraining - don't even bother paying it, go with the free one, couple of games and he'll be retrained anyway

If it's skill resets - you don't have high-enough point captains for it anyway, don't bother

42 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

I didnt understand the availability and management with the camouflages yet, but im sure thats also a place to lose a lot.

Go for credits camos (7.5k or 22.5k) and reward camos - no need to invest 125gold for a Type59 unless you really want to

43 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

As i understood it you can and you cant stockpile stuff.

Can stockpile as loot - rewards and containers, can't buy in a bunch.

Players
23 posts
7,305 battles

Camos

These come in various types with various bonuses. They can be found in crates (if you pick the camo crate) and are also awarded in missions. They can mounted by going into the exterior tab and picking the camo you want. They are used in the battle and you must re-equip with a new one after each battle. You can demount them in port without using them up. Basically they give some bonuses re concealment and enemy weapons accuracy, others also add bonuses to ship XP, commander XP, free XP, credits earned or service cost.

If you really like a ship you can invest gold in getting a permanent camp that is not expended on use, Premium ships come with a permanent camo.

Signals: same again, you can pick them up in the daily crates, for missions, and they are awarded for certain achievements. You can mount them under the exterior tab.

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, wilkatis_LV sagte:

You can earn so much credits so quickly in WoWS compared to WoT that you can easily just buy new modules for each ship. As F2P player I've still never de-mounted anything except on some special when it's for free bcuz why the hell not

Ship-to-ship - if it's at least 10k XP for 50% retraining just go with 200k credits, later on you'll get Elite Cpt XP to make it even faster. If you get less than 10k Xp for partial retraining - don't even bother paying it, go with the free one, couple of games and he'll be retrained anyway

If it's skill resets - you don't have high-enough point captains for it anyway, don't bother

Go for credits camos (7.5k or 22.5k) and reward camos - no need to invest 125gold for a Type59 unless you really want to

Can stockpile as loot - rewards and containers, can't buy in a bunch.

Sounds fair, even though ive taught myself to not go into live battles while being handicapped with a less than 100% crew for example. That means you buy equipment, but sell them with the ship?

Elite Captain XP sounds promising, yet im to get in touch with it. The maximum skill points however is 19, right? (Seems impossible to reach to me, but anyway)

Speaking of those camos, during the christmas event i received some via boxes and im left with a collection of them. Are all of them reusable or do they vanish after use? Some of them have the info that it takes a certain amount of credits to mount them again, but since it says a number i wonder if a pile of say 5 camos will be gone after 5 matches.

Ive understood so far that only some ships, except premiums, can mount a permanent camo for gold.

Thanks!

Vor 1 Stunde, 373_Runequest sagte:

Camos

These come in various types with various bonuses. They can be found in crates (if you pick the camo crate) and are also awarded in missions. They can mounted by going into the exterior tab and picking the camo you want. They are used in the battle and you must re-equip with a new one after each battle. You can demount them in port without using them up. Basically they give some bonuses re concealment and enemy weapons accuracy, others also add bonuses to ship XP, commander XP, free XP, credits earned or service cost.

If you really like a ship you can invest gold in getting a permanent camp that is not expended on use, Premium ships come with a permanent camo.

Signals: same again, you can pick them up in the daily crates, for missions, and they are awarded for certain achievements. You can mount them under the exterior tab.

Thanks!

[ADRIA]
Players
3,797 posts
6,526 battles
7 hours ago, TheFurst said:

Sounds fair, even though ive taught myself to not go into live battles while being handicapped with a less than 100% crew for example. That means you buy equipment, but sell them with the ship?

If I remember correctly in WoT your crew actually suffers penalties to reload, view range and things like that if not 100%? Well, in WoWS it only affects commander skills - some will work 50% till you have retrained him, some won't work - but that retraining goes fast (and you can speed it up with things like signals & camos that give more ship an / or captain xp).

And yeah, I'd sell the equipment with the ship. Funny part is I don't sell ships, and still somehow manage to buy new ones :cap_haloween:

Elite Captain XP sounds promising, yet im to get in touch with it. The maximum skill points however is 19, right? (Seems impossible to reach to me, but anyway)

19s max, yeah, and it's not that impossible actually. If you take your captain up through the line from tier 4 or 5, you will reach 19 points on him (or rater I reach them) while still playing the tier 9 ship (that's of course, if you don't FreeXP your way through).

Speaking of those camos, during the christmas event i received some via boxes and im left with a collection of them. Are all of them reusable or do they vanish after use? Some of them have the info that it takes a certain amount of credits to mount them again, but since it says a number i wonder if a pile of say 5 camos will be gone after 5 matches.

Depends on the camo. Your permanent camos for that ship are first in the list, those that are consumed follow after them starting with the Type1.

You can also notice that consumable camos always have a number next to them indicating how many of them are left, perma camos don't have that.

zJ6C0jQ.jpg

Speaking of camos... Type 2 (+4% to enemy dispersion) is kind of a useless one, save them up and then just sell in a bulk :D If you're going with standard go for Type 1 (-3% detection) / Type 5 (-3% detection & +4% enemy dispersion)

Type 6 (same 2 bonuses and +100% XP) and Type 59 (same 2 bonuses and +200% XP) are for gold (50 and 125 respectively) so again - nice to use them while you have them, but really not necessary. Also if you use them under the Auto-resupply remember to un-check the "resupply for in-game currency" otherwise when they run out they'll start eating away your gold :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, wilkatis_LV sagte:

If I remember correctly in WoT your crew actually suffers penalties to reload, view range and things like that if not 100%? Well, in WoWS it only affects commander skills - some will work 50% till you have retrained him, some won't work - but that retraining goes fast (and you can speed it up with things like signals & camos that give more ship an / or captain xp).

And yeah, I'd sell the equipment with the ship. Funny part is I don't sell ships, and still somehow manage to buy new ones :cap_haloween:

19s max, yeah, and it's not that impossible actually. If you take your captain up through the line from tier 4 or 5, you will reach 19 points on him (or rater I reach them) while still playing the tier 9 ship (that's of course, if you don't FreeXP your way through).

Depends on the camo. Your permanent camos for that ship are first in the list, those that are consumed follow after them starting with the Type1.

You can also notice that consumable camos always have a number next to them indicating how many of them are left, perma camos don't have that.

zJ6C0jQ.jpg

Speaking of camos... Type 2 (+4% to enemy dispersion) is kind of a useless one, save them up and then just sell in a bulk :D If you're going with standard go for Type 1 (-3% detection) / Type 5 (-3% detection & +4% enemy dispersion)

Type 6 (same 2 bonuses and +100% XP) and Type 59 (same 2 bonuses and +200% XP) are for gold (50 and 125 respectively) so again - nice to use them while you have them, but really not necessary. Also if you use them under the Auto-resupply remember to un-check the "resupply for in-game currency" otherwise when they run out they'll start eating away your gold :cap_haloween:

Ive got to take a look at my inventory then, but i guess i wont find that much except mostly consumables since most ships dont get permanent camo anyway, right?

However, there is one question that grows the longer i play this game and that is.... how to fight RNG? How to counter it? That dispersion on some ships, this unreliability is just incredible. Indeed, my aim is still developing, but missing all shots with the Nassau or South Carolina at close range, because the shells decide to go below and above the target feels just hilarious and rather puts me into coop battles with it :D

Im asking this, because in WoT you have the modules which help to counter it, the "premium" consumables and whatnot, but here i did not find any solution. Maybe even on purpose?

Nevertheless, even though it would be awesome to have all of my shells hitting citadels, but the more relevant for me at this stage appears to be getting good captains. Quite a struggle it seems, is that Newport operation really so tough? I somehow got 5 people together for a division and we tried it twice, but we only got 3 stars out of it.

Are there other ways to get those captains? I saw the premium shop offer with the cartoon captains, but that seems a bit overpriced.

What can i do with the badges i earn via the current missions? Are those just awards or they provide any purpose?

One more - Is it possible to disable "Epicentre" game mode?

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles

Apropos captains: you can get a few free 10 point ones for completing some of the weekly challenge missions (PvE) - on several of them, the first time you complete it with four (out of five) stars, you get a 10 point captain.

Apropos RNG: are you referring to gun accuracy, chance of being detonated etc? If so, there is a flag that reduces your detonation chance by 100%; as to the former, there are various modules that can help with that, although a lot of them only start becoming available at mid-high tiers...

[ADRIA]
Players
3,797 posts
6,526 battles
3 hours ago, TheFurst said:

most ships dont get permanent camo anyway, right?

I think all ships tier 6+ have a perma camo that you can buy, and then a whole bunch more in pretty much all tiers have perma camos that can be earned through some missions or events every now and then. premium ships all come with a pema camo already on them.

how to fight RNG?

3 options:

• Get closer
  • Don't play BB
  • Pray to RNGesus and send some political dissidents to gulag :cap_haloween:

Battleships in general have terrible accuracy, and nowhere else is that as obvious as at low tiers. if you can get yourself above 25% hitrate, like... around 30% -> as a BB that's good

Cruisers and DDs don't struggle with that nearly as much. There is some dispersion, of course, but they're rather accurate plus they are rapid-firing enough to deal with it

I'm asking this, because in WoT you have the modules which help to counter it, the "premium" consumables and whatnot, but here i did not find any solution. Maybe even on purpose?

When you go into Modules tab for a ship, below them there you can select between Ammunition / Upgrades. Either at tier 5 or 6 you unlock the 500k credit slot where you can get an upgrade that increases your accuracy. And then at tier 9 you unlock a 3mil slot which increases accuracy even more. Apart from those 2 - nothing else.

Sometimes RNG is a bi**h and you miss all your shells at 5km, sometimes RNG decides to screw the other guy and you land all of your shells at 25km. Not much you can do about it

Premium consumables here have two thirds cooldown and 1 extra charge if they are limited

the more relevant for me at this stage appears to be getting good captains

Meh, not really, they will come as you play. Up to tier 4 they are irrelevant as only professional sealclubbers will have skilled captains, at 5 & 6 while it is nice to have a 10pt capt it's not quite obligatory, just at 7+ you kinda want to have it trained to at least 10, if not 14 points. But yeah, they just come with playing the game.

is that Newport operation really so tough?

Hardest of the tier 6 operations, probably hardest operation overall. And it has been made easier multiple times :Smile_teethhappy: Your best guess is - if you can get a full 7 people division 9invite some friends to play?) and just do whichever operation you want to do, when you are working together it's far easier.

Are there other ways to get those captains? I saw the premium shop offer with the cartoon captains, but that seems a bit overpriced.

All 4 tier 6 operations give 1 captain each, and each of those is for a different nation. Of course, playing is an option. Then, as you mention, there are those weeb captains who are clearly overpriced. When you reach tier 8 you can start trying to do the Yamamotos collection - that gives you a 15 pt IJN captain.  And quite soon french BBs should be released - and with them there should be some missions to earn a French capt.

What can i do with the badges i earn via the current missions? Are those just awards or they provide any purpose?

Just visual, that's your "coat of arms" - when you die you see the emblem of who killed you shown on your screen.

Click on your name in port (top-left) and there will be the default one next to it. Click on it and you can select whichever you want from those that you've earned

One more - Is it possible to disable "Epicentre" game mode?

Hate it already? :Smile_trollface: We can't, at least not yet, select which gamemodes we play. But look at the bright side - at least it's not standard :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 56 Minuten, Verblonde sagte:

Apropos captains: you can get a few free 10 point ones for completing some of the weekly challenge missions (PvE) - on several of them, the first time you complete it with four (out of five) stars, you get a 10 point captain.

Apropos RNG: are you referring to gun accuracy, chance of being detonated etc? If so, there is a flag that reduces your detonation chance by 100%; as to the former, there are various modules that can help with that, although a lot of them only start becoming available at mid-high tiers...

Yea, ive already finished a couple of the operations. However, Newport remains unfinished and the tier 7 ones.

Its more about the dispersion of the shots. So much wasted potential in so many shots, anything to minimize that would be great.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles
14 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

Its more about the dispersion of the shots. So much wasted potential in so many shots, anything to minimize that would be great.

That can be reduced, at least a bit, with modules etc (and made worse with camo); things like battleships will always have wonky dispersion though, especially at range - imagine how depressing it would be to be on the other side if something like Yamato always shot with 100% accuracy.

As I understand it, RNG is (allegedly) also set the way it is, so as to make the better players not automatically be all-conquering (it does something similar in WOT too). It also has the merit of being, at least a bit, semi-historical - BBs, for example, were famously inaccurate.

Doesn't make it any less annoying when RNGeezus fails to favour you though...!

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 35 Minuten, wilkatis_LV sagte:

I think all ships tier 6+ have a perma camo that you can buy, and then a whole bunch more in pretty much all tiers have perma camos that can be earned through some missions or events every now and then. premium ships all come with a pema camo already on them.

3 options:

• Get closer
  • Don't play BB
  • Pray to RNGesus and send some political dissidents to gulag :cap_haloween:

Battleships in general have terrible accuracy, and nowhere else is that as obvious as at low tiers. if you can get yourself above 25% hitrate, like... around 30% -> as a BB that's good

Cruisers and DDs don't struggle with that nearly as much. There is some dispersion, of course, but they're rather accurate plus they are rapid-firing enough to deal with it

When you go into Modules tab for a ship, below them there you can select between Ammunition / Upgrades. Either at tier 5 or 6 you unlock the 500k credit slot where you can get an upgrade that increases your accuracy. And then at tier 9 you unlock a 3mil slot which increases accuracy even more. Apart from those 2 - nothing else.

Sometimes RNG is a bi**h and you miss all your shells at 5km, sometimes RNG decides to screw the other guy and you land all of your shells at 25km. Not much you can do about it

Premium consumables here have two thirds cooldown and 1 extra charge if they are limited

Meh, not really, they will come as you play. Up to tier 4 they are irrelevant as only professional sealclubbers will have skilled captains, at 5 & 6 while it is nice to have a 10pt capt it's not quite obligatory, just at 7+ you kinda want to have it trained to at least 10, if not 14 points. But yeah, they just come with playing the game.

Hardest of the tier 6 operations, probably hardest operation overall. And it has been made easier multiple times :Smile_teethhappy: Your best guess is - if you can get a full 7 people division 9invite some friends to play?) and just do whichever operation you want to do, when you are working together it's far easier.

All 4 tier 6 operations give 1 captain each, and each of those is for a different nation. Of course, playing is an option. Then, as you mention, there are those weeb captains who are clearly overpriced. When you reach tier 8 you can start trying to do the Yamamotos collection - that gives you a 15 pt IJN captain.  And quite soon french BBs should be released - and with them there should be some missions to earn a French capt.

Just visual, that's your "coat of arms" - when you die you see the emblem of who killed you shown on your screen.

Click on your name in port (top-left) and there will be the default one next to it. Click on it and you can select whichever you want from those that you've earned

Hate it already? :Smile_trollface: We can't, at least not yet, select which gamemodes we play. But look at the bright side - at least it's not standard :cap_haloween:

That BB part feels very obvious, but besides the gift Dunkerque i dont have any BB above tier V, so i dont get to see the brighter days yet. And Dunkerque dispersion is ... meh? I guess! However, i think it feels that the more practice i get with leading shots and overall aiming it gets a bit better sometimes. Slowly!

I thought i give the BBs a try to get into the game bit by bit, starting with Cruisers over Battleships to Destroyers. The Cruiser part feels best so far, but DDs are still a huge mystery and i think i might start getting into it soon. My gifted Ochotnik could be helpful, maybe?

I think ive met some of those sealclubbers on my way, how could i not? Two carriers hiding behind an island and dominating a whole tier IV match for example :D Nice and fun to watch, sure, but felt painfully helpless.

The problem with the divisions is that there simply aint no or not enough people around for operations and last time it took about 2 hours to get 5 players for some attempts. The general chat rooms are weird as usual and the "find division" button shows barely any players, even if then mostly people promoting their clan. Anyway, not that much of a thing that is.

Thanks, i got myself a nice squirrel now that i understood the badges :D

Yea, Epicentre surely does not seems like one of the strenghts of this game! Might work on a wooden table with people constantly having shots though.

Vor 20 Minuten, Verblonde sagte:

That can be reduced, at least a bit, with modules etc (and made worse with camo); things like battleships will always have wonky dispersion though, especially at range - imagine how depressing it would be to be on the other side if something like Yamato always shot with 100% accuracy.

As I understand it, RNG is (allegedly) also set the way it is, so as to make the better players not automatically be all-conquering (it does something similar in WOT too). It also has the merit of being, at least a bit, semi-historical - BBs, for example, were famously inaccurate.

Doesn't make it any less annoying when RNGeezus fails to favour you though...!

Indeed, but as a new player i probably feel like being more on the receiving end :D Not that much anymore since i figured one or two things, but its all in the process :D

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles
26 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

DDs are still a huge mystery and i think i might start getting into it soon. My gifted Ochotnik could be helpful, maybe?

Okhotnik is splendid (hilarious seems to be a word often used), but doesn't seem to be terribly representative of typical DD play.

I'd suggest having a look at the IJN DDs, if you want torpedo-heavy play, the Russians for gunfire, and perhaps the Americans for a mixture (better players: feel free to give a more accurate summary; I'm only at T6 on silver DDs).

BTW have you discovered the wiki? It contains all manner of useful information on the various ships and mechanics: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

• Cool 1

Players
12 posts
273 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Verblonde sagte:

Okhotnik is splendid (hilarious seems to be a word often used), but doesn't seem to be terribly representative of typical DD play.

I'd suggest having a look at the IJN DDs, if you want torpedo-heavy play, the Russians for gunfire, and perhaps the Americans for a mixture (better players: feel free to give a more accurate summary; I'm only at T6 on silver DDs).

BTW have you discovered the wiki? It contains all manner of useful information on the various ships and mechanics: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Funny that you mention it! Yesterday i was browsing the tech trees a bit, searching for DDs which could be interesting to get started with. One criteria was the ability to avoid brawls or options to sneak around them - meaning torpedo range above 4km. The IJN ones definitely caught my attention and today i discovered the Wiki due to lack of knowledge about modules / equipment and adequate captain skills. There was another website which provided awesome information, but unfortunately ive got to look through my history to find it again.

that one it was - http://wowsft.com/

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles
37 minutes ago, TheFurst said:

Funny that you mention it! Yesterday i was browsing the tech trees a bit, searching for DDs which could be interesting to get started with. One criteria was the ability to avoid brawls or options to sneak around them - meaning torpedo range above 4km. The IJN ones definitely caught my attention and today i discovered the Wiki due to lack of knowledge about modules / equipment and adequate captain skills. There was another website which provided awesome information, but unfortunately ive got to look through my history to find it again.

that one it was - http://wowsft.com/

Something I might suggest having a look at, rather than pure torp range, is the relationship between a ship's torp range and its visibility distance - if you're aiming to zap people with torps, short range isn't *automatically* a disaster, provided the range at which the enemy can spot you is less than that range (ideally, quite a bit less). Obviously, longer range torps are far more likely to be able to be fired from stealth...

The captain skill Concealment Expert is very nice to have in this context: that reduces the distance from which the enemy can see you by 10% (I think) for a DD. There is also a module that reduces how far away you can be seen from (which stacks), when you get to a high enough tier - well worth having on more or less any DD that can mount it.

If you haven't already, make sure you have all the indicator circles on, on your mini-map: gun and torp range have a solid circle each, and the distance you can be spotted from is shown by a dashed circle. If you watch those carefuly, you can keep spotted enemies in the gap between your torp range and being spotted range more easily (beware other sneaky ships that you haven't seen yet, of course). Key to being a sneaky blighter is keeping track of where the foe are...

BTW there is a lot to be said for keeping your AA/secondaries silent (hit p to toggle on and off) - the moment either of those fires automatically, the range at which you can be seen sky-rockets (same when you fire main guns too, but you won't be doing that if you're playing sneaky).

Sign in to follow this