Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

Interesting Warship Documentaries Thread

6 comments in this topic

Players
1,003 posts
8,214 battles

Instead of continuously opening new threads whenever I see a documentary or something on Youtube that seems to be worthy of sharing with the WoWs community, I decided to add them to one and the same thread in future. Everyone is of course invited to join in, as long as it isn't the usual dumbed-down History Channel dreck ;-)

Starting it out with...

Return to the USS Atlanta

Real-life USS Atlanta was teamkilled by USS San Francisco in a confusing night action off Guadalcanal in the, er, Solomon Islands, with one of two US Admirals killed in action in WWII on her bridge. This is of course all a bit ironic since as a Tier VII ship, I don't think Atlanta is ever fighting on the Solomon Islands map in the game except maybe due to some kind of divisioning fail.

The wreck lies in about 130 m of water, which means diving it is a kind of involved expedition, necessitating all kinds of special breathing gas and equipment, so the wreck is not overrun by recreational divers. The video is just a short excerpt of the full, 52-minute documentary; don't fall for the spam promising the full-length version on YT, it is a rip-off.

The full version does however appear to be available on vimeo (and netflix).

https://vimeopro.com/user1250845/documentary-features-shorts-and-series/video/57538016

Edited by Nautical_Metaphor
typo
  • Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,192 posts
9,335 battles

Documentary is very US-centric (as are all documentaries on that channel) but still very informative overall!

Players
1,003 posts
8,214 battles

Been some time but I have just stumbled across another fascinating video:

Making Armstrong Gun (1920-1929)

I had been specifically searching for something like this after reading on Wikipedia that many large British warship guns from the 1890s to shortly after WWI were indeed wire-wound guns, whose construction process can be seen in this video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_British_ordnance_terms#Wire-wound

[-MM]
Players
428 posts
8,176 battles

I have found a really cool Youtube channel, called The History Guy: History Deserves to Be Remembered. The channel covers mostly lesser known events of history in compact episodes of about 20 minutes.

The channel also covers a lot of naval history and there are many interesting events you might have not heard about before.

Just a small selection:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this