Sign in to follow this  
Tatsfield

Ship to ship distances in the tactical map

9 comments in this topic

Question

Players
22 posts
5,333 battles

I noticed that the distances shown for allied ships in the tactical map are wrong.  Close ships have greater distances than distant ships and none of the distances are the same as those displayed above the ships in live view.  Is this a known fault or is it peculiar to me?

8 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
Players
3,796 posts
6,526 battles
19 minutes ago, Tatsfield said:

And in any case your theory doesn't work as ships equidistant form the centre have vastly differing distance measurements.

I used your screenshot (you can still see it there - all that dark part) and the distances given on it to draw those circles which all came together in one point :fish_book:

Look at those 3 ships next to you.

• Kongo almost centerlined, 16.7km
  • Konig about half square away from centerline, 16.8km
  • New York about 0.6...0.7 through the square away from centerline, 16.9km

Distance it the direct line from where it's measured, hence why you can easily check it with circles (that one point is the only point from where all of the given distances are true)

25 minutes ago, Tatsfield said:

I cannot see what the game could be doing apart from logging wholly wrong readings.

It's pretty easy to see when you play a CV - when you give a plane squad a command it's not a point of there they will go, it's a point on the surface with vertical line as to where the squad will be - hence the fact that we see it a slight angle. When you enter tactical map your are centered on it - hence the "you are in the center" idea and hence those distance measurements from the center.

26 minutes ago, Tatsfield said:

I just worried about the apparent glitch in case it is tied up with some other potential problem.

If this goes on all the time CVs might be the ones more affected by it, as they generally work with the map. Not thing more than a minor inconvenience, but still a thing. Then again, who really cares about those distances?

Bug is a bug, report it and hope they will fix it within the next 10 years.

[ADRIA]
Players
3,796 posts
6,526 battles

@Tatsfield Figured it out :cap_viking:

Game takes those measurements from wherever you are located at that moment - and when you enter tactical map while it's still counting down it apparently thinks you are in the middle. Well, slightly below the middle because if I'm not mistaken you still see the tactical map at a very slight angle

As long as it's just a pre-game thing not something actually in the middle of a battle it should be fine (then again I didn't check if it's just a pre-game thing or not). Even tho I use tactical map a lot had never paid attention to those distance numbers :Smile_teethhappy:

UGtqTDc.png

Post this in the "Bug Reports" thread in the "Current Update" section, MrConway has already provided a template there how you should report it. Feel free to use your own screenshots as well as this img in it :cap_like:

Players
22 posts
5,333 battles

See the two screen grabs and notice that on the tac map the Konig is supposed to be 16.8km away and the New York 16.9, although the New York is actually nearer to my vessel.  But on the live shot, taken seconds afterwards the Konig is at a correct 6.8km while the near New York is at 2.3km.  This madness continues throughout the battle.  The distances are all wrong and not even proportional between different ships with nearer vessels shown at greater distances than further ones.

This is obviously not how things should be.  After I get sunk, which happens frequently, the spectator view seems to have correct distances.

Tactical.png

Live.png

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,796 posts
6,526 battles
1 hour ago, Tatsfield said:

See the two screen grabs and notice that on the tac map the Konig is supposed to be 16.8km away and the New York 16.9, although the New York is actually nearer to my vessel.  But on the live shot, taken seconds afterwards the Konig is at a correct 6.8km while the near New York is at 2.3km.  This madness continues throughout the battle.  The distances are all wrong and not even proportional between different ships with nearer vessels shown at greater distances than further ones.

This is obviously not how things should be.  After I get sunk, which happens frequently, the spectator view seems to have correct distances.

Spoiler

Tactical.png

Live.png

Hmm, interesting...

I'm assuming this is happening while the game is still counting down before loading in? Do you have a full 1st screenshot saved maybe? I have some ideas how that could be explained but I'm not sure. Does this happen basically every game?

Also - haven't seen anyone else posting something like that so I guess I can say congratz on finding a new bug :cap_haloween::Smile_medal:

Players
22 posts
5,333 battles

Sadly it's not a pre-game thing!  It happens whenever I use the tac map!  And in any case your theory doesn't work as ships equidistant form the centre have vastly differing distance measurements.  I cannot see what the game could be doing apart from logging wholly wrong readings.  It doesn't make too much difference to game play as the live readings in the battle are accurate and there is little reason to worry about distances on the tac map.  The gun range ring shown on the mini map show how near to being targetable ships are and combined with the live distance readings seen through the binoculars the whole thing is manageable.  I just worried about the apparent glitch in case it is tied up with some other potential problem.  I used to play one line games where the real time projectile trajectory was thrown out by the fact that I had a mirrored pair of hard disc drives and this produced an imperceptible time lag on the screen.  For ages I thought a was a naturally poor shot!

Players
22 posts
5,333 battles

To update progress on this fault:  I contacted customer service and they agreed that the distances shown on the tac map are not as intended.  They should be the same as those displayed over ships in live view indicating distances from the player's vessel.  They are passing the problem to the development team and we will have to await the outcome of their investigation and a consequent program update.  At least I don't feel that I'm going mad and that there is actually something wrong! :Smile_smile:

[ADRIA]
Players
3,796 posts
6,526 battles
16 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

To update progress on this fault:  I contacted customer service and they agreed that the distances shown on the tac map are not as intended.  They should be the same as those displayed over ships in live view indicating distances from the player's vessel.  They are passing the problem to the development team and we will have to await the outcome of their investigation and a consequent program update.  At least I don't feel that I'm going mad and that there is actually something wrong! :Smile_smile:

Did you drop them all the info I gave you? Already told you what's happening, and you could have just left it in the Bug reports.

Also - on the minimap you have a line indicating in which direction you are looking, and it starts from your ship. When you enter tactical map - check how that line changes on the minimap. It goes exactly where I told you it would go

Sign in to follow this