You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SeaWolf7

wow Sweet Lord Baby Jesus...WG, skill level on playerbase is out of controll.

142 comments in this topic

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles

Hi Captains,

This Is not a rant. (ad least not much)

I have returned from an 8 month absence (maybe more )to WOWS to find that the level of players skill at mid to higher tiers is WORSE than ever. In fact its SO bad  that if it carries on this way...I really believe Its the beginning of the end....and I don't want it to be.

WG you absolutely , with all respect, need to take a hold on this because its out of control.....and everyone knows it. You know it too.....hence.. "recommend a friend and get 4 ships for free etc...smells a little of desperation. .(not sure if this is cause or effect actually :cap_hmm:)!!!

I feel that I can honestly have an opinion on this because I was one of those players....

I had friends who had played this for a while up at tier VII_VIII and were constantly pressurising me to get up the tiers quickly so we could division up together....resulting in being a massive weight around teams neck because I didn't know mechanics or how to read the situation and adapt accordingly, getting my arse handed to me on a regular basis, not enjoying the game.......and stopped playing. NO PLAY....NO MONEY WG.

On advise of some good, helpful and more generous players went down two tiers maybe more started to get better applied my new knowledge and got more kills damage etc started to enjoy the game again....ive mostly been playing ranked since my return and that is just as bad (that bold is for all you certain statisticians who are running to my stats to see if I have a valid opinion or not...yes you know who you are..)

My suggestion is this :

WE absolutely need a capping system on the number of games played to tiers reached. Period....

The More Games you play the more experienced you get.....

Yes there is a new training room yes there is video's tutorials etc and yes they can all ignore that because they can buy a tier 8 BB and go strait to battle......and hide behind an island for the rest of the game because guess what...they don't know what to do.

Yes I know WG you need to make money in order for this game to survive in the first place but again , with all due respect I think you are going about it the WRONG way. BY all means Dangle the proverbial premium carrot (ship) at them but steam rolling into a tier VIII game with a Alabama or Tirpitz with 70 games under your belt is just insanity not to mention financial suicide...yes you've made some money....but you've just lost 20 players from your player base who have left out of frustration and despair perhaps never to return resulting in A MINUS PROFIT in the long run.:Smile_facepalm:

May I suggest:

As an Example, or whatever you think is more realistic:

you need to reach 800_ 1000 games to get past or be eligible to play tier 5/6 and up

You need to reach1500/ 2000 games to get to play tier VII and up etc.

This way ad least skill to tier level has some element of control...

"But Wolf who the hell wants to buy a premium ship you cant play because you haven't reached enough games to play it you cry...... and you would be right!!!

Hers a brain storm...DEVS Why Not design more premium ships for LOW as well as high....give new players the ability to enjoy lower tier games more.. that way you can make money whilst avoiding the crap storm we have at present and everyone's happy?

Don't you think its just possible that because you concentrate on the High tiers sooooo much in this game you actually promote the problem we are facing at the moment!!! Because everyone wants those big juicy Premium ships at high tiers without learning the discipline, skills knowledge to use them correctly in the first place??!!!

This is not a concrete solution by no means im sure and that there are holes in this theory that people will be more than happy to point out, but you know what, if ive started something and you want to come on board with some suggestions rather than criticise what I've put on this page please do it....lets put our heads together as a community and sort this crap out because as far as I can tell WG  its driving people mad and driving them away at the same time.

Regards to you all

Wolf

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,244 posts
5,955 battles
2 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

you need to reach 800_ 1000 games to get past or be eligible to play tier 5/6 and up

This is a bit much...I vote no

I'd just require players to have at least 50 or 100 games in the previous tier before continuing to the next one from 5 onwards

• Cool 3

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles

its just an example...could be lower of course...

what would you think would be more realistic? 500-600 games etc?

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles
4 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Hers a brain storm...DEVS Why Not design more premium ships for LOW as well as high....give new players the ability to enjoy lower tier games more.. that way you can make money whilst avoiding the crap storm we have at present and everyone's happy?

Im agreeing in general with what u are saying, the skill level is dropping more and more, and i dont know how its possible but it somehow is. Back to the quote:

The problem is, the famous ships are in higher tiers, due to the fact that T8+ ships are the end of WW2 Era ships... Many ppl know Bismarck/Hood/Yamato etc... so its natural to want to play them. Why would u want to play something like Mikasa? Its not as known as other ships + ofc its a bad ship in the game :cap_haloween:

U would need to have like WW1 ships to get prems for lower tiers, and i dont know how many "famous" ships are left to implement - i dont know any.

And that what @domen3 said... waaaaay to many games.

[DREAD]
Players
4,699 posts
4,878 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

Im agreeing in general with what u are saying, the skill level is dropping more and more, and i dont know how its possible but it somehow is. Back to the quote:

The problem is, the famous ships are in higher tiers, due to the fact that T8+ ships are the end of WW2 Era ships... Many ppl know Bismarck/Hood/Yamato etc... so its natural to want to play them. Why would u want to play something like Mikasa? Its not as known as other ships + ofc its a bad ship in the game :cap_haloween:

U would need to have like WW1 ships to get prems for lower tiers, and i dont know how many "famous" ships are left to implement - i dont know any.

And that what @domen3 said... waaaaay to many games.

1) why skill is dropping? Because WG encourages braindead monkeys to point and click rather than spark interest in the game mechanics (RN BBs)

2) no famous WW1 ships? There are hardly any implemented as of yet. Need examples for famous WW1 ships? Queen Mary, Warspite@Jutland, Seydlitz, Lutzow, Derfflinger, Blucher, Dreadnought, the list goes on. WW2 is pretty much saturated though. 

• Cool 3

[SNUBS]
Players
79 posts
9,577 battles

You will be amazed how many players with the lowest possible skill bought high tier ships like Tirpitz, Alabama, Missouri and so on. Specially Tirpitz is the most noob played ship in the game in my own experience, it is almost always available in the shop and people just abuse it. Whenever I see a Tirpitz player I automatically assume he has no idea what he is doing. This is why players' skill has dropped, they all got damn good ships where even if they play like crap they still get better results and are having more fun than playing normal tech tree ships. They never learn.

[NWP]
Players
3,188 posts
5,583 battles
9 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

2) no famous WW1 ships? There are hardly any implemented as of yet. Need examples for famous WW1 ships? Queen Mary, Warspite@Jutland, Seydlitz, Lutzow, Derfflinger, Blucher, Dreadnought, the list goes on. WW2 is pretty much saturated though. 

Ye thats why i said, i dont know any^^ Ofc i heard about most of what u listed - but they are still basicly unknown to me. And thats the problem imo. Tirpitz and others will ALWAYS attract more ppl than WW1 ships.

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
3 minutes ago, Zombie_Wizard said:

Strange how, to some people, it seems that low skill levels only ever affect one's own team and never the enemy...

Errrr what?

it effects everyone .....but low skill levels on YOUR team has the effect of the enemy team winning in about 5 mins right ? If its on the enemy team WE win in about 5 mins..etc

yes it goes both ways. no one enjoys it either way.

• Cool 1

[HMSR]
Beta Tester
1,726 posts
5,871 battles

Problem is the lack of will to learn in people, coupled with wanting to be given a iwin button in younger generations and we get where we are 

:Smile_sceptic:

Bdw welcome back Wolf :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,058 posts
10,545 battles
34 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

May I suggest:

As an Example, or whatever you think is more realistic:

This will not help one bit.

Look at the all the bad players with thousands of games...

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
2 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Problem is the lack of will to learn in people, coupled with wanting to be given a iwin button in younger generations and we get where we are 

:Smile_sceptic:

Bdw welcome back Wolf :Smile_honoring:

Thanks Mate,

I agree.... wich is why I suggested there be some element of control because the will to learn is a choice . Some choose to learn others just don't want to and don't care about the effect that choice has on others....

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
624 posts
2,032 battles

If WG stop producing premium ships that far out-perform there silver line counterparts maybe it will encourage newer players to learn the basics more instead of jumping into a premium ship that is more forgiving and gives better results giving a false sense of actual skill.....

Co-op as well needs a revamp it should be a training ground instead games last less than 5 mins as co-op DD vets tend to sink everything before you have a chance to even fire your guns.

The f2p model game has gone from bad to worse Wows is no longer attracting new players and with WT naval combat about to come out WG need to drastically change this game or by next year only diehards will be playing it.

If your worried about players skill there really is only one option you need to division up with decent players and try and avoid solo play , Simply moaning about players skill levels while playing random battles solo doesn't make any sense unless of course you are capable of carrying such players yourself.

Players
68 posts
5,652 battles
12 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Errrr what?

it effects everyone .....but low skill levels on YOUR team has the effect of the enemy team winning in about 5 mins right ? If its on the enemy team WE win in about 5 mins..etc

yes it goes both ways. no one enjoys it either way.

Yeah, but that is not caused by players being bad in general, but by the matchmaker being random. 

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
7 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

This will not help one bit.

Look at the all the bad players with thousands of games...

realy? Not at all?:Smile_amazed:

I think the bad players with thousands of games is perhaps a slightly different element. Were talking players with no experience (70- 100 games) because their playing at tiers beyond their skill level....

[CATS]
Players
14,058 posts
10,545 battles

These players are extremly few and not a problem as they play only few games.

The people playing a lot of games without getting better are a problem.

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,573 posts
4,887 battles
27 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Ye thats why i said, i dont know any^^ Ofc i heard about most of what u listed - but they are still basicly unknown to me. And thats the problem imo. Tirpitz and others will ALWAYS attract more ppl than WW1 ships.

I suspect that this is more of a 'knowledge or exposure' issue, WW1 to the vast majority of people was all about the trenches "and didn't all the RN battlecruisers blow up also". But world war 2 has all sorts of exciting naval combats and adventures. WW1 actually has more naval combat than WW2. but doesn't get the same PR.

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
21 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

If WG stop producing premium ships that far out-perform there silver line counterparts maybe it will encourage newer players to learn the basics more instead of jumping into a premium ship that is more forgiving and gives better results giving a false sense of actual skill.....

Totally Agree Mac-Fergus

21 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

If your worried about players skill there really is only one option you need to division up with decent players and try and avoid solo play , Simply moaning about players skill levels while playing random battles solo doesn't make any sense unless of course you are capable of carrying such players yourself.

But your just as capable of COMUNICATING with your team mates whether your in a division or solo play. Your totally capable of reading the situation as it changes and changing tactics accordingly.

Why MUST I division up and not be able to have the choice of being a solo player if I wish too and continue to enjoy the game I pay towards as we all do?

Im not Moaning, Im trying to find a solution to the problem we are all facing.

Players
1,278 posts
5,079 battles

The biggest problem (and it will only get worse) is the there is no "skill cap" allowing access to higher tiers. A complete potato earning only 250XP per game only needs to play 4000 games in a single ship to reach T10 from T1 and, as the game is getting older and older, more and more potatoes are playing more and more games and therefore more and more are reaching T10 just due to playing 4000+ absolutely awful games.

I loved Gran Turismo's "License" system which was a natural "skill" barrier for players. Until you improve "X" amount so that you pass a test you couldn't access better cars/races etc but, as WOWS has no skill barriers, the only metric which actually matters is "Number of Games Played" and NOTHING ELSE, not skill or gameplay experience gained or WR or kills etc, just "How many games did you play?" and, if it is over 4000, you are 100% guaranteed to be a T10 player.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
5,773 battles

Sry, but change your topic from wows to wot and see how that game is progressing with an abysmal playerbase.

They are not forcing anything that will make the playerbase that they earn the most from, to leave a game.

No matter what u propose skillbased won`t happen. There is no money or incentive for them to do so.

Either u live with it or u find something else to do.

• Cool 2

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
5,773 battles
25 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

Guess where they earn alot of money!!!

Same bissniss model as wot.

[BS4]
Players
706 posts
4,968 battles
23 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

These players are extremly few and not a problem as they play only few games.

The people playing a lot of games without getting better are a problem.

You Make a valid Point here about the players with thousands of games NOT getting any better. I guess this is down to not giving a crap a bout team play and not caring to get any better.

Perhaps if they don't get better (%improvement in xp/damage) they cant progress to the next tier etc?

[JRM]
Players
658 posts
10,585 battles

Situation is such, that anything bellow tier 8 has become low tier battle, and i cant play that thing and watch horrendous decisions already at the start of battle. 

[YEEET]
Players
1,171 posts
10,980 battles

I am still in favour of mine fields randomly scattered in the squares around the border - just had two battles where half the fleet grouped themselves around an island at the far edge of the map and

milled around till dead. Luckily the next battle, the enemy did the same with pretty similar results! We need a deterrence!

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
5,773 battles
1 minute ago, triumphgt6 said:

I am still in favour of mine fields randomly scattered in the squares around the border - just had two battles where half the fleet grouped themselves around an island at the far edge of the map and

milled around till dead. Luckily the next battle, the enemy did the same with pretty similar results! We need a deterrence!

I honestly don`t see that to often. I have more of those that permanently sail broadside.