Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gazzxy

torp detection range

12 comments in this topic

[-BR-]
Players
18 posts
2,603 battles

ok i dont mind some destroyers having sneakier torps than others..   but some just take the piss.. i cant be the only one to think that torps that dont show up until they basically hit you are a little stupid AF? just started encountering this little gem and i dont much care for it... things are already bad enough torp wise  without the added threat of torps appearing in my bulge out of nowhere 

[-BR-]
Players
18 posts
2,603 battles

just a rant at this point but its starting to ruin thing for me the more i see it

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,726 posts
10,607 battles
10 minutes ago, Gazzxy said:

ok i dont mind some destroyers having sneakier torps than others..   but some just take the piss.. i cant be the only one to think that torps that dont show up until they basically hit you are a little stupid AF? just started encountering this little gem and i dont much care for it... things are already bad enough torp wise  without the added threat of torps appearing in my bulge out of nowhere 

Oh. Is this your first encounter with Deep Water torps?

They are a bit special. They literally can't hit DDs but they also don't really leave you room to react if you spot them yourself (unless you're running hydro, or planespot them, that is). The best defense against them is to not be predictable (like sitting bow-on motionlessly) since, in the end, it doesn't really matter how hard to spot they are if they miss your ship completely - and there is no ship that could spit out a shima-like carpet of DW torps (the feat reserved for Shima and a couple high tier IJN DDs that can do something similar with assistance from torpedo reload booster).

Basically: move. And not in a straight line at constant speed. Or switch to DDs, then you're completely invulnerable to the "invisible" torps (and you can even safely spot them for allies thx to that).

Beta Tester
306 posts
6,464 battles

Show me on the plushy where the evil torpedoes hit your precious BB.

DSCF2072.jpg

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,726 posts
10,607 battles
1 minute ago, Damanta said:

Show me on the plushy where the evil torpedoes hit your precious BB.

DSCF2072.jpg

Well, while I'm all for ridiculing people who get torped in their BBs and come whining to the Forum, this time I don't think it's really warranted. OP didn't go all rage mode like some of them do and he's not crying about torps in general - he's having problem with DW torps and you must admit that these are some nasty buggers... perhaps even more so for cruisers than BBs - after all, BBs are expected to tank some torps while cruisers are much more reliant on avoiding them. And against DW torps the only way to avoid them (unless you have Hydro on) is to not be in their path in the first place. And while it's a good general advice, it's not always possible - slight mistake or even a bit of bad luck can spell LOTS of trouble.

Basically, I can understand frustration from first getting acquainted with DW torps. Their appearance demands a lot from people spoiled by many months of relatively torp-safe environment due to IJN torps being easily spotted and USN ones only getting dangerous at high tiers (meaning that even people in ships that could function as nasty torpboats were much more accustomed to using guns as the primary weapon).

• Cool 1

Players
858 posts
3,869 battles

Remember when IJN DDs were the subject of this complaint to the extent that they were nerfed into the ground (seabed?)?

#giveusbackourIJNDDs

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,089 posts
2,419 battles
8 hours ago, Strappster said:

Remember when IJN DDs were the subject of this complaint to the extent that they were nerfed into the ground (seabed?)?

#giveusbackourIJNDDs

You know that they are nerfed too far when nobody is complaining about them anymore :(. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,663 posts
7,202 battles
9 hours ago, Gazzxy said:

Torps are fine.

People would not hit cr*p if targets would not be as predictable.

Plus most of ships have counter measures (planes, hydro, radar, heal ...).

So no point of whining on the forums if you messed up.

[ADRIA]
Players
3,797 posts
6,526 battles
11 hours ago, Gazzxy said:

Dodge them before they are spotted by abusing your WASD hacks. If you keep sailing in a straight line for long enough to get hit it's your and only your fault.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,921 posts
8,281 battles

Hi all,

Please check this great thread for info:

"Torpedo Spreadsheet, incl. reaction time and chances of flooding"

Leo "Apollo11"

Sign in to follow this