Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BCHood

Training room question

10 comments in this topic

Question

Players
268 posts

Hi,

When will the new Training room allow bots to fight back? Seems a little vain point to "train" against non-fighting, stationary "bots".

9 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
Players
3,806 posts
6,533 battles

Probably never. Used to be a thing, they've taken it out.

If you want someone to shoot at you you'll need other humans. You can still learn stuff by shooting those bots

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
228 posts
3,200 battles

You have Co-Op where bots shoot at you, what more do you need ?

• Boring 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,806 posts
6,533 battles
3 hours ago, sisito0o said:

You have Co-Op where bots shoot at you, what more do you need ?

A more controlled environment where you don't have 6 potatoes yolocharging somewhere?

Used to be quite useful for some specific practice and testing

• Cool 1

Players
268 posts

You can't learn defense, specially overwhelming defence, like 1 vs 5 and different divisions and pairs (comps) of different vessels in a wing in a Co-Op simply because you can't reliably re-create the situation, besides, like you said, trying to save the game from potato teams doesn't leave a lot of room for experimentation in Co-Ops, as you know.

Last but not least, you can't simply make a small group of real life friends and team up against specific bot ships of your choice (having three low level cruisers against a bot Yamato, as a good example - tons of fun).

I hope they re-add it.

What really leaves a sour taste in the mouths is the fact before their "rework" the whole thing used to be better then afterwards. Simple UI change with twice as less features and being advertised as added content. But the content was actually taken out.

It boggles me how people think it's okay to take the perfectly fine content out of the game just because they don't like it, or don't use it.

I'd still wish to get a "blue" response on this.

Cheers

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,246 posts
7,262 battles
3 minutes ago, BCHood said:

You can't learn defense, specially overwhelming defence, like 1 vs 5 and different divisions and pairs (comps) of different vessels in a wing in a Co-Op, besides, like you said, trying to save the game from potato teams doesn't leave a lot of room for experimentation in Co-Ops.

Last but not least, you can't simply make a small group of real life friends and team up against specific bot ships of your choice (having three low level cruisers against a bot Yamato, as a good example - tons of fun).

But I get what you're trying to say.

What really leaves a sour taste in the mouths is the fact before their "rework" the whole thing used to be better then afterwards. Simple UI change with twice as less features and being advertised as added content. But the content was actually taken out.

It boggles me how people think it's okay to take the perfectly fine content out of the game just because they don't like it, or don't use it.

I'd still wish to get a "blue" response on this.

Cheers

They have taken it out because they released it officially and hence implemented it in the client that is easy for everyone to use.

They have let us play around with live bots because there were so few people that actualy went through the effort to enable the "hidden" training room by editing the preferences file.

Now that everyone could use it without any effort means a lot more are likely to use it and that would cause too much strain on the server. (thousands of botrooms with only one player but up to 11 active bots)

That is why they pulled the plug.

Players
268 posts
10 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

Now that everyone could use it without any effort means a lot more are likely to use it and that would cause too much strain on the server. (thousands of botrooms with only one player but up to 11 active bots.

That is why they pulled the plug.

You do realize you can still queue as a one player against 12 bots in the current variation? Nothing really changed.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,246 posts
7,262 battles
18 minutes ago, BCHood said:

You do realize you can still queue as a one player against 12 bots in the current variation? Nothing really changed.

you do realize i was talking about active (moving and shooting) bots not dummies with a targetcircle painted on it for shooting practise?

Edit: They gimped the amount of possible CV in the trainingroom for the very same reason. (before you could play one ship against 5+ CVs to test the AA - just look up some Flamuvideos on prenerf Grozovoi for example)

Players
268 posts
40 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

you do realize i was talking about active (moving and shooting) bots not dummies with a targetcircle painted on it for shooting practise?

Don't see as many more training rooms then I did before. There's no actual data how much more server resources bots consume. Then again, there's hundreds of Co-Op battles played at the very same time with the same bots, with the same "AI", and there isn't a limit on them AFAIK.

Servers are under light load most of the time - look at the population numbers, highest I saw was 60k plus on EU, most of the times it's around half that number and (usually even less when I play), even when they were 60k+ the server still had headroom since there weren't any queues, slow downs, instabilities etc specifically look at the RU server population, AFAIK the server cluster in France is used for both EU and RU. Even if it isn't, the servers never run at full load. And again, as I said, there's no information how much more, if at all, the bloody evil bots resources consume.

Jolly great theory, if official, but one that doesn't really float.

Edit> That video shows what it's all about. 

If we entertain the notion that the limit is true, although everything including logic tells us it isn't so - there are other things WG could have done. Kick out active CVs completely, limit the number of active AI ships per real player in a game, or per map et cetera.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,161 posts
2,300 battles

Because Training Rooms were made part of the standard game install and hence opened to the whole game community, WG had to compromise all the extra training rooms being created on the server cluster taking up resources by removing the bot AI functionality.

WG's thinking is if you want to shoot at moving active bots you can do that in PvE (Co-Op) or Operations. 

Sign in to follow this