Sign in to follow this  
Cyclops_

Help required from experienced DD Captains please

5 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
544 posts
10,411 battles

Help required from Captains with more experience than me ( not hard there).

Whch Destroyers would you choose to use 4 skill points and swap HE for IFHE??

[LEWD]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,109 battles

Akizuki and Harakaze with the 100mm guns because without it you can't even penetrate 19mm superstructure armor.

The German DDs with 150mm guns (Gaede and Z-23) also profit from it as it allows you to penetrate 32mm bow armor of high tier BBs.

Although personally I would only take it on the Gaede (it doesn't necessarily need SE or SI)  as there are more useful skills for the Z-23.

Someone could also make a case for using it on some some low tier DDs with 105mm guns like Clemson if you like seal clubbing and have a high point captain for it.

The skill is a total waste of points for every destroyers with guns with a caliber of 120-139mm.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,089 posts
2,419 battles

If you want to calculate it yourself it's easy. 

Regular He penetration = calibre / 6 

IFHE penetration = calibre / 6 * 1,3

And then check the ingame armour models of the ships you can encounter. And always round down. 31,9mm penetration cannot penetrate 32mm armour, but 32mm penetration can. 

Happy mathing! ? 

[LEWD]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,109 battles

Actually no. 32mm penetration can't penetrate 32mm armor.

The penetration value is rounded mathematically (<0.5 = rounded down and >= 0.5 rounded up).

In order do penetrate the rounded value has to be greater than the armor it wants to penetrate. That means you need at least 32.5mm (rounded to 33) penetration to penetrate 32mm armor.

Now there is one catch to that. People reported that what I stated above is only true if you DON'T use IFHE. 

Apparently if you have that skill there is no rounding and if the penetration is greater than the armor you penetrate (e.g. 32.1mm penetration can penetrate 32mm armor).

However I have not tested this claim and can't tell if true or not but there has been a big thread on reddit about that you might want to read if you are interested in.

Sign in to follow this