175 comments in this topic

[LUX]
Players
37 posts
4,591 battles

First of all I played it atleast 30 games in it and I have to say it makes Bismarck look like a high accuracy sniper and makes NC feel like it has german turtleback.

I bought the Roma as soon as it got released and I regret it heavly. It's the worst tier 8 battleship in game.

I will speak about the good and it will be a short one. The good is Armor is good, that's it. I will give my reasons why concealment and mobility are not good in Roma later, they are not the best compared to other ships anyways. So the armor is if you sit bow in you are literally immune, a bit more then NC is, and unlike NC you can't shoot anything because guns just suck but you tank well nose in. Play like NC and you will be fine but if you show a slight broadside, you'r going to die, even CAs can heavily punish your broadside with constant citadel hits, it's really easy to citadel a broadside Roma,

TL;DR of what's written below = Guns are trollish, you can't hit anything and if you get good RNG and actually hit, all your hits are going to be overpens

Let's speak about guns. The guns are headsplitting the range is worst in tier 8 it's so pathetic it would be still bad in tier 7

Reload is worst in 380mm category, dispersion is the worst, having highest velocity pushes written dispersion number beyond that point and it really makes Roma a shotgun with high reload that lacks a punch. Forget about punishing dds who come in close range to you, you can't even hit battleships in close range if RNG decides so, A Bismarck rushed me behind an island in ranked today I aimed slightly above waterline I didn't even except I was going to miss but most shells somehow managed to fly up to superstructure the others landed on water some even fell behind Bismarck and I was locked on Bismarck the range was 6kms and he was full broadside. Even the guy got suprised and asked in chat how did you manage to do this shot, some other guy in NC replied RNG it happens but let me tell you it just happens in ROMA. Things like this happens all the time especially against cruisers so just forget about goddamn dds.

Another thing is that high velocity is not an advantage for roma. Forget about islands you are never going to shoot above them your maximum range is pathetic, it's a shame though, that velocity was what gave historical Roma a fire range comparable to that of Yamato. In game worst range and high velocity just doesn't mix very well combined with worst dispersion in tier with 380mms yea you get the idea. Another huge disadvantage for high velocity is that you just overpen and overpen and overpen and overpen there is no end to it. Your guns are already terrible at hitting targets and when RNG gods finally decide to give you some hits they are all going to be Overpens, divine comedy.. In brawling situations you even overpen battleship citadels it's ridiculous. Atleast I managed to score 2 citadels on a broadside Tirpitz from 4.5km range by targeting at waterline, I have no idea how in the world that happened. 

Now I will speak about why concealment and mobility are not that good for Roma. On paper Roma loses only to Monarch in concealment so concealment is actually great, speed is avarage falls behind germans, ties with amagi and is better then monarch/nc/alabama , Turning radius too is avarage it's below Monarch/Alaba/NC higher then Bismarck/Amagi/Tirpitz. But why they are not enough for Roma? Because guns basically..Great concealment is the only thing that makes you able to use your pathetic 18km maximum range and because you hang around close quarters your mobility is the only thing that can get you of danger, so all your advantages are actually being there to coverup your big worst in tier weaknesses and they are not enough. You will still find yourself in trouble because of the guns, you can't even hit a broadside cruiser rushing at you, what use your mobility has now? Concealment is something other players can play around once they spotted your location so it's just good for suprise attacks when they don't know where you are.

Brawling is really tough too, forget about cruisers and dds, all other BBs in the game have better tools to kill you in close quarters, You just a have very huge citadel and very inconsistent guns with 90mm secondaries that just shatter.

I could speak a lot more but I'm really frustrated by how bad this ship is, should have bought Tirpitz . All those STs/CCs praised it , not counting Flamuu and LitttleWhiteMouse they reviewed the whole bad stuff about the ships, but I guess they were very generous on final verdicts  Roma is just a worse NC/Alabama in every possible way and is one of the most expensive premiums. I expected so much more from this beautiful ship. So disappointing

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
625 posts
2,035 battles

To be fair in theory no Premium ship should be able to out perform its silver line counterpart however the Roma doesn't have one at the moment so like I said in another thread you have to compare it to other BBs in that tier , After 4k battles which is really to early to judge the Roma it has the best average damage , WR , frag ratio , I have no doubt that will drop after more games are played in it.

What this sounds like and I don't mean to be rude here is that you have paid for a premium ship and you want it to be better than all the other ships in the Tier.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[G-S-W]
Beta Tester
125 posts
6,896 battles

Isnt that exactly what people like littlewhitemouse told us?

I like mine and it behaves as expected.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,996 posts
11,428 battles
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Talk to him:

It's the new Prem ship thing that rears it's head with pretty much every release.

Simultaneous threads that alternate between OP and being a waste of money.

It's so predictable and so funny :Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
625 posts
2,035 battles
7 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

It's the new Prem ship thing that rears it's head with pretty much every release.

Simultaneous threads that alternate between OP and being a waste of money.

It's so predictable and so funny :Smile_popcorn:

I agree with you but given WG history over the last 2 years of releasing overpowered ships that even now are still obtainable (removed my azz you just pay more money with Santa crates) you can understand the overpowered threads.

Waste of money comes down to a players skill I myself own some very good premium ships some overpowered but can I perform in them? not really I actually do better for some strange reason in silver line ships

[CAIN]
[CAIN]
Players
2,726 posts
10,679 battles

Didn't play that many games in mine, but i like it it's quite tanky and the guns are always good for a surprise, they are very much on the RNG side of things and if RNG gives you the finger...

So far i'm averaging 153k damage in it, despite that the MM queue is filled with Romas and Musashis.

And yes, i am perfectly aware that the sample size is too small, but it looks like i'm gonna like this boat. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,996 posts
11,428 battles
4 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

I agree with you but given WG history over the last 2 years of releasing overpowered ships that even now are still obtainable (removed my azz you just pay more money with Santa crates) you can understand the overpowered threads.

Waste of money comes down to a players skill I myself own some very good premium ships some overpowered but can I perform in them? not really I actually do better for some strange reason in silver line ships

I can understand the whine as I have a better Prem ship for almost every ship type and situation I want to play in.

But sadly that's WG's business model. The majority of Prem Ships are available to all so most of us can fight on equal terms. It's trying to balance F2P with earning money.

[LUX]
Players
37 posts
4,591 battles
47 dakika önce, MacFergus dedi:

What this sounds like and I don't mean to be rude here is that you have paid for a premium ship and you want it to be better than all the other ships in the Tier.

No I want to be "atleast" as good as them, and If I'm better then some of the tech ships I really don't care as long as the ship is not broken, like having a premium ship at tier 9 that is better then Izumo really doesn't mean anything if it's on par with let's say Iowa. Right now Roma is just better then Monarch and Kii and that is in some situations..

I also pay money I keep this game alive as F2P for others so I deserve to enjoy a strong ship, nobody would pay for garbage ships.

The other thing is I don't perform bad in the ship, if shells go where I aim ship is absurdly powerful, but it's just incosistent and trollish and that kind of RNG is really bad for the health of this game, I would nerf turret traverse a bit along side with bowaft armor and buff range and dispersion of the guns. Here is a recent game of mine:

Coming of Rome.png

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles
8 minutes ago, Bbqparty said:

No I want to be "atleast" as good as them, and If I'm better then some of the tech ships I really don't care as long as the ship is not broken, like having a premium ship at tier 9 that is better then Izumo really doesn't mean anything if it's on par with let's say Iowa. Right now Roma is just better then Monarch and Kii and that is in some situations..

I also pay money I keep this game alive as F2P for others so I deserve to enjoy a strong ship, nobody would pay for garbage ships.

The other thing is I don't perform bad in the ship, if shells go where I aim ship is absurdly powerful, but it's just incosistent and trollish and that kind of RNG is really bad for the health of this game, I would nerf turret traverse a bit along side with bowaft armor and buff range and dispersion of the guns. Here is a recent game of mine:

A battleship with potentially absurdly powerful but inconsistent, trollish guns!?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,324 posts
8,243 battles
36 minutes ago, Bbqparty said:

I also pay money I keep this game alive as F2P for others so I deserve to enjoy a strong ship

No, you deserve to enjoy a strong, lasting game.

Also - hype? I watched some reviews in advance and she's as expected - with certain strong and weak points.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,836 posts
2,560 battles
6 minutes ago, aboomination said:

No, you deserve to enjoy a strong, lasting game.

Also - hype? I watched some reviews in advance and she's as expected - with certain strong and weak points.

Which after all are what makes a well balanced ship.

• Bad 1

[LUX]
Players
37 posts
4,591 battles
28 dakika önce, rvfharrier dedi:

A battleship with potentially absurdly powerful but inconsistent, trollish guns!?

Yep potentially, you sneak up upon a broadside NC for example and you get overpens and water splashes. If you do this in Amagi or NC or even Bismarck it's a dead NC but not in the case of Roma's absurdly inconsistent, trollish guns. 

The odds of being absurdly powerful is way and way and way lower compared to other Tier 8 options even if you hit constantly(which won'T happen Roma has worst dispersion in T8) your DPS in T8 is still the worst because of 30seconds of reload on 9 380mm guns.

8 dakika önce, aboomination dedi:

It's a lot of weak points that doesn't justify "certain" strong points. Just watch the recent reviews of flamuu and Ichasegaming, and you will see what I mean

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
583 posts
7,461 battles

Much as in real life mate ;) That battleship class did have very powerful guns. BUT horrible accuracy. IMO so is Roma a very fun and challenging ship :cap_like:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,324 posts
8,243 battles
14 minutes ago, Bbqparty said:

watch the recent review of flamuu

I already watched it cause I'm a sub ^^ 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,990 posts
13,493 battles
9 minutes ago, Bbqparty said:

It's a lot of weak points that doesn't justify "certain" strong points.

A reasonable game designer would've slapped a lot more weak points on the Roma for having amazing concealment alone.

Too bad it's WG and they cater to BBs.

Flamu said she's fine.

iChase is bad anyway.

How you have not managed to find out she has horrible dispersion before buying her is beyond me.

[LUX]
Players
37 posts
4,591 battles
2 dakika önce, darkstar73 dedi:

Much as in real life mate ;) That battleship class did have very powerful guns. BUT horrible accuracy. IMO so is Roma a very fun and challenging ship :cap_like:

No not like in real life. Roma has the worst range in T8, in real life the range was one of the best of entire WW2, comparable to ships like yamato. Also the horrible accuracy is true for 20 to 40km ranges, real life battleships are insanely accurate and that horrible accuracy is not much high as is it is in game even if roma was bad in long ranges it wouldn't matter because in game roma max range is mid range anyways..

2 dakika önce, El2aZeR dedi:

A reasonable game designer would've slapped a lot more weak points on the Roma for having amazing concealment alone.

Explain me North Carolina then.

[TENGO]
Players
1,566 posts
8,707 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

The majority of Prem Ships are available to all so most of us can fight on equal terms.

Emphasis on majority.

Can't wait to see players without a payfast posting new and wonderful threads when there is a next tier 7 ranked :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

Players
2,239 posts
6,232 battles
2 hours ago, MacFergus said:

To be fair in theory no Premium ship should be able to out perform its silver line counterpart however the Roma doesn't have one at the moment so like I said in another thread you have to compare it to other BBs in that tier , After 4k battles which is really to early to judge the Roma it has the best average damage , WR , frag ratio , I have no doubt that will drop after more games are played in it.

I'm not trying to make fun of you in any way and in a way I agree with you, but would you know where this theory is to be found? :Smile_smile:

Beta Tester
625 posts
2,035 battles
1 minute ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I'm not trying to make fun of you in any way and in a way I agree with you, but would you know where this theory is to be found? :Smile_smile:

That's a good question , I haven't played WoT in 2 years so things might have changed but back in the day WoT was very popular I think one of main reasons for this (Type 59 excluded) was the balance in the game itself was good most of the premium tanks were not as good as there f2p silver counterparts but WG still sold tons of premiums and a healthy balance was observed so really the only advantage you got with premiums was the fact you could make more credits they did not give you a game advantage , This meant the game stayed popular.

Fast forward to Wows and we have the opposite happing where most premium ships are actually a lot better than there silver line counterparts so the f2p model which was so successful in WoT and made for healthy player populations has been completely ignored by WG imho and the population is declining not growing.

I fear for this game I really do in a year all that will be left will be the diehards and with WT releasing there naval battles I think it will be the nail in the coffin for Wows.

90000000 million BBs in the queue tells you how bad the meta in this game has become , What do WG do to curb this from happing? , Release more premium op BBs , Just about sums it up really. 

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,990 posts
13,493 battles
27 minutes ago, Bbqparty said:

Explain me North Carolina then.

- extremely weak to HE shells

- practically no broadside armor

- also trollish guns with hilariously bad dispersion

- extremely bad gun handling

Should I go on?

Beta Tester
1,836 posts
2,560 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

- extremely weak to HE shells

- practically no broadside armor

Should I go on?

Could add "slowest bb of her tier" too while you're at it..

[LUX]
Players
37 posts
4,591 battles
5 dakika önce, El2aZeR dedi:

Calls the most accurate ship of Tier 8 trollish and bad dispersion.. Yea sure, it's just floaty shells if you can't hit with them that's your problem.

5 dakika önce, El2aZeR dedi:

Lol

7 dakika önce, El2aZeR dedi:

practically no broadside armor

Roma too get's instant citadels while broadside, your point is? NC has excellent armor scheme

9 dakika önce, El2aZeR dedi:

Should I go on?

Please go on I guess you missed how bad NC AA is..

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,990 posts
13,493 battles
12 minutes ago, Bbqparty said:

Calls the most accurate ship of Tier 8 trollish and bad dispersion.

Sigma is not accuracy. Sigma is RNG. With high sigma you have a higher chance to get better spread but it's not as important as base dispersion is.

Lol

Gun handling = shell arcs, turret traverse and shell speed. Only one of those is decent on the NC.

Roma too get's instant citadels while broadside, your point is? NC has excellent armor scheme

No, NC has practically no armor as she did historically since she was armored against 14" shells. Ingame it's even worse due to the oversimplification of the armor scheme. You bow in and that's it, which makes your vulnerability against HE shells more prevalent.

Please go on I guess you missed how bad NC AA is.

Clearly indisputable facts are lost on you.

• Bad 2

Beta Tester
4,092 posts
732 battles

What makes the Roma's guns so unpredictable and dependant on RNG isn't either the horizontal dispersion value or the sigma, is the vertical dispersion.

As it is, it would seem that the best strategy to take out the most from them would be to avoid going in too closely, and keep to 12-13 km.