Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ForlornSailor

Cyclone and Neptune - A super bad combination

Neptune spotting range in Smoke  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Neptune spotting range in Smoke - ok or not?

• 6,4 km is fine
    • Needs to be like other RN CLs

13 comments in this topic

Players
3,080 posts
5,391 battles

So im recently playing a lot of Neptune. Even with the harsh Smoke detection (what is it exactly - 6,4 km?), the ship is quite strong.

Now I had the luck of getting into quite some Cyclone-games in the last days, and I have to say: this is not an enviroment, you want your Neptune to be in. F.e. an enemy ship surprises you - he is now 7,9 km away from you. You dont really have an option, depending on the enemy, you might have none.

Even if you are moving with your fleet, going carefully within 8 km to an enemy, smoking up and trying to help, its often futile. It takes usualy only seconds, until something steams within your proximity spotting range and you are again target no.1. So I´d like to hear opinions of others about Neptune & the detection range in smoke. My personal view: it should be lowered by ~1 km, somewhat to the range of Edinburgh and Minotaur.

[NWP]
Players
3,167 posts
5,567 battles
8 minutes ago, mariouus said:

With that smoke, it still has much more options than other cruisers.

I wonder about the options in cyclone :Smile-_tongue:

Only option is: Smoke when spotted, hope that he doesn blap u. throw torps, hope u kill him. And hope he doesnt have hydro.

[HAERT]
Players
2,087 posts

The Neptune's spottability in smoke is far too much I've never been able to understand it.

To be honest with all the RN cruisers being so smoke dependent due to their fragility their firing from smoke gun bloom is too high, the Neptune's one is just bonkers. It's one of the reasons I free XP'd off it to the Minotaur.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,776 posts
6,504 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

Now I had the luck of getting into quite some Cyclone-games in the last days, and I have to say: this is not an enviroment, you want your Neptune to be in

Solution: get the "X marks the spot mod". With very little practice you'll be able to aim by the minimap, and in cyclone you'll be able to comfortably stay at about 10km while shelling the helpless target (all that's needed is someone in your team spotting him for themselves as you then can still see them on your minimap.

Did this a few times with Missouri, Amagi, Fiji and Algerie, works like a charm :cap_viking: No idea why WG thinks that is any kind of acceptable.

But yeah, no idea why Neptunes detection had to suddenly be so much worse than other RN CLs

[NWP]
Players
3,167 posts
5,567 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

No idea why WG thinks that is any kind of acceptable.

First time i was argueing like that (when i realized it existed) i was told it doesnt make any difference, and after calling it a cheat, some ppl had the guts to tell me to stfu :cap_fainting:

If it doesnt make any difference, why the hell would u use it... I can clearly see the advantage. Had a Hindenburg game in cyclone once with GK/Conq following me. But i only had like 500 HP left so i couldnt get myself detected. I desperately tried to shoot them 10km behind me.. no dice tho. With the x on the minimpp would have been easier possibly.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,185 posts
10,120 battles
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Solution: get the "X marks the spot mod". With very little practice you'll be able to aim by the minimap, and in cyclone you'll be able to comfortably stay at about 10km while shelling the helpless target (all that's needed is someone in your team spotting him for themselves as you then can still see them on your minimap.

Couldn't this be considered as an unfair advantage due to modding? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,776 posts
6,504 battles
3 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Couldn't this be considered as an unfair advantage due to modding? :cap_hmm:

That's exactly what that mod is. But WG have included it even in their own modpack as "perfectly fine to use", and exactly as DFens said:

9 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

First time i was argueing like that (when i realized it existed) i was told it doesnt make any difference, and after calling it a cheat, some ppl had the guts to tell me to stfu

Exactly the reaction I got.

Players
3,080 posts
5,391 battles
19 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Did this a few times with Missouri, Amagi, Fiji and Algerie, works like a charm :cap_viking: No idea why WG thinks that is any kind of acceptable.

Yea, you are right about that... its downright nasty. First time I realized this is possible, was, when I was steaming in Cyclone like ~11 km to the enemys, a friendly Des Moines next to me, who kept on shooting.... Also crazy: Radar. Just shoot from 8,1 km+, no need to put yourself in danager for the time beeing. You play Donskoi + Missouri division (i know, there can be even more crazy combos) and imagine the enemys go "wtf?" in front of their PCs. Also wrong imo.

Players
918 posts
8,318 battles

Shitweather simulator completely [edited] up the game balance and about half of the ships are suddenly useless. However WG insists that shitweather simulator is fun &engagingtm

Players
3,080 posts
5,391 battles
1 hour ago, Skyllon said:

I have the solution. Just don't play Neptune in Cyclone... :Smile_trollface:

I wish I´d have a choice :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this