Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
von_chom

Broken Roma&Yamato turret armor model

45 comments in this topic

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles

how is it possible that this went through without any notice ? @Crysantos

i wondered why my turrets gets knocked out that often ....

this applies as well for yamato

didnt had the blood pressure for checking other ships

Srsly, this is not what i paid for, what now WG ?

2882zhs.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
260 posts

Too lazy to post screen shots but maybe working as intended?

Guilio Cesare has 40mm turret mount cover armor

Yamato has 135mm

Conqueror has 127mm

German battle ships got 150mm, so does Dunkerque

KGV got 102mm 

How much armor did you expect over 9000 mm? 

• Bad 1

Modder
1,586 posts
3,385 battles

200 mm should be there according to this picture (click on the picture for descriptions)

Cut-away Diagram of a Littorio-class Battleship at the Aft 15-Inch Turret

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles

quite a big 50mm plating :Smile_teethhappy:

dont know, 120+ would be fine

Players
260 posts

USS BBs tend to have their turrets cover their barbettes better but you can sneak a peak on Montana, their it says 102mm.

Well either an intended weakspot or another special quirk for the Italians since the Guilio has an even weaker barbette cover.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,991 posts
11,428 battles
18 minutes ago, warsinger2 said:

Too lazy to post screen shots but maybe working as intended?

Yamato has 135mm

Conqueror has 127mm

German battle ships got 150mm, so does Dunkerque

KGV got 102mm 

How much armor did you expect over 9000 mm? 

This pretty much, some BB turrets have thin looking plates, KGV is the best example I can think of.

Bear in mind anything hitting it is going to be at heavy angles so shells will likely miss the thin bits or bounce.

Modder
1,586 posts
3,385 battles
26 minutes ago, von_chom said:

quite a big 50mm plating :Smile_teethhappy:

dont know, 120+ would be fine

200mm is actual thickness according to what author of that screenshot says. you have to click on it and there are descriptions

[NWP]
Players
3,218 posts
5,612 battles
10 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Bear in mind anything hitting it is going to be at heavy angles so shells will likely miss the thin bits or bounce.

Ye i agree with that one. Wouldnt even be sure at what range it would be possible to penetrate that part, other than it will autobounce. And hitting that place... good luck?

Apparently the side armor from the turret is week also, so id say thats why your guns get disabled easier.

Modder
1,586 posts
3,385 battles
6 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Ye i agree with that one. Wouldnt even be sure at what range it would be possible to penetrate that part, other than it will autobounce. And hitting that place... good luck?

Apparently the side armor from the turret is week also, so id say thats why your guns get disabled easier.

not really. i was surprised how was my turret knocked out by british cruiser. now i know. her ap went right from above through these 50 mm and roma has this horizontal armor quite substantial over other turret designs

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles

on first turret there are even boats

Spoiler

ncjbe1.jpg

so much for small place to get hit by plunging fire

well, time to get closer until its fixed i guess

[NWP]
Players
3,218 posts
5,612 battles
5 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

not really. i was surprised how was my turret knocked out by british cruiser. now i know. her ap went right from above through those 50 mm and roma has this horizontal armor quite substantial over other turret designs

Well, if u take the Cruiser line with arcs like that as an example.. But still imo very unlikely. Even if, is it really that game breaking? Sounds like whining on high level...

2 minutes ago, von_chom said:

on first turret there are even boats

so much for small place to get hit by plunging fire

well, time to get closer until its fixed i guess

Well, u can go there with Neptune/Minotaur and intentionally disbale Roma turrets, at probably roughly 14km range id say, maybe a bit less works too. With shell flight time 10+ secs i wanna see u hit that spot on purpose, aka disable/break his guns at will..

Totaly impossible.

Modder
1,586 posts
3,385 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Sounds like whining on high level...

yeah. more of these please. that will help this thread a lot

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Well, u can go there with Neptune/Minotaur and intentionally disbale Roma turrets, at probably roughly 14km range id say, maybe a bit less works too. With shell flight time 10+ secs i wanna see u hit that spot on purpose, aka disable/break his guns at will..

Totaly impossible.

you got it from the wrong side

this should be look upon from the receiving end.... sooner or later they will hit you randomly, considering its size, its sooner rather than later

aiming on purpose is not possible of course

[NWP]
Players
3,218 posts
5,612 battles
2 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

yeah. more of these please. that will help this thread a lot

If u want 200mm plating for that part, maybe we need to give 20mm plating to the roof armor on the turrets like in the picture u showed? That would be number 4 - good luck when every BB can overmatch that part :cap_wander:

3 minutes ago, von_chom said:

you got it from the wrong side

this should be look upon from the receiving end.... sooner or later they will hit you randomly, considering its size, its sooner rather than later

Look at how easy Cruiser guns break. Or go bow tanking with any bb vs any non Yamato/Musashi BB and shoot the frontal armor of the turret. U can easily knock out US/RN Turrets aiming at them. Not sure about GErman Turrets, i dont usually brawl with them :Smile-_tongue:

Even got my front turret destoyed once by a NC when i played ROon with 1! SAlvo. Today hit Minotaur with missouri -> Destroyed his turret. Yamato shot me twice angled Missouri -> 2 times turret disabled.

Happens all the time to any ship, and i think its ok like that. If its not happen all the time when playing Roma (i havent shot that many salvos at them so far) i think its ok. And i mean that u lose a turret permanently like every game or so.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,240 posts
11,467 battles
1 hour ago, von_chom said:

how is it possible that this went through without any notice ? @Crysantos

i wondered why my turrets gets knocked out that often ....

this applies as well for yamato

didnt had the blood pressure for checking other ships

Srsly, this is not what i paid for, what now WG ?

2882zhs.jpg

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, we're investigating on our end and we'll inform you when we have more info on this.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles
3 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Even got my front turret destoyed once by a NC when i played ROon with 1! SAlvo.

who would have thought that, a CA turret destroyed by direct AP BB hit

wow

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,656 posts
9,231 battles
17 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

If u want 200mm plating for that part, maybe we need to give 20mm plating to the roof armor on the turrets like in the picture u showed? That would be number 4 - good luck when every BB can overmatch that part :cap_wander:

That's clearly a typo, considering the thickness is visibly the same.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,988 posts
13,493 battles

Regardless of how thick the plating it, it doesn't affect the survivability of the turret against AP shells as plunging fire effectively doesn't exist.

The distance needed for BB shells to achieve plunging fire is in excess of ~25km due to auto-bounce. Any hit closer than that will simply bounce off the 50mm barbette roof just as well as if it were a 200mm plate.

Thus the only thing this would affect is HE and bomb performance. Still a valid reason to look into it, but citing plunging fire is stupid.

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

citing plunging fire is stupid.

but cruiser plunging fire still exist, and those AP which we are speaking of can do the trick

[SCRUB]
Players
7,181 posts
9,335 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Regardless of how thick the plating it, it doesn't affect the survivability of the turret against AP shells as plunging fire effectively doesn't exist.

The distance needed for BB shells to achieve plunging fire is in excess of ~25km due to auto-bounce. Any hit closer than that will simply bounce off the 50mm barbette roof just as well as if it were a 200mm plate.

Thus the only thing this would affect is HE and bomb performance. Still a valid reason to look into it, but citing plunging fire is stupid.

Probably more an HE issue to begin with. I reckon any HE that can penetrate that 50mm barbette roof can disable the gun and with subsequent hits completely destroy it. And at tier VIII there's a couple ships that can easily penetrate 50mm or armour with HE (all BBs and all german CAs). And since BB players have found that shooting HE everywhere is fun, getting your turrets peppered with BB HE is hardly a rare occurance.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,988 posts
13,493 battles
7 minutes ago, von_chom said:

but cruiser plunging fire still exist

No it doesn't.

DM shells for example have an angle of fall of ~25° at 18km.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
4 hours ago, warsinger2 said:

Never checked the plating but that's why my Giulio Cesare gets a turret knocked out every BB salvo it gets, huh? It's almost annoying how often something damage the guns.

Players
260 posts
2 hours ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

Never checked the plating but that's why my Giulio Cesare gets a turret knocked out every BB salvo it gets, huh? It's almost annoying how often something damage the guns.

Unlikely as mechanics you need a hit outside the autobounce angles since even Yami cannot overmatch 40mm outright which translates down to as people have said extreme plunging fire on a very small surface.

Lets face it the Guilio's turrets ain't that strong.

Players
2,204 posts
7,233 battles

So now I know the reason why a Minotaur disabled my "B" turret on Yamato yesterday... he was as shocked as me :cap_fainting:

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,227 posts
7,027 battles
On 19. 1. 2018 at 5:22 PM, Crysantos said:

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, we're investigating on our end and we'll inform you when we have more info on this.

Greetings, Crysantos

Hi there,

Yesterday was confirmed fix for Yamato and Mushashi, what about Roma, any news ?

Merci!

Sign in to follow this