You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Schmidt_zxc

What about the Horn?

20 comments in this topic

[TAW]
Players
53 posts
17,815 battles

Ahoy!

What do you think about that new ship horn we have?

I've noticed it's an usefull tactical information tool; you are busy (thats me tunnel visioning) doing stuff and you hear that horn. Immediately you shift your focus and avoid an unfortunate ram with your teammate. Have avoided couple of incidents including enemy torpedo soup and friendly ships in full panic with this little tool.

I also had couple of fun moments informing my enemy that a ram is imminent :cap_haloween:.

• Cool 3

[B0TS]
Players
120 posts
11,414 battles

Well, all ships have fog horns, and are used in real life for avoiding collisions. I'm in favour of them. :Smile_smile:

Players
858 posts
3,869 battles

I like it, though I think DDs should have a whoop-whoop horn because that's what I remember from old war films.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,977 posts
11,407 battles
1 minute ago, Strappster said:

I like it, though I think DDs should have a whoop-whoop horn because that's what I remember from old war films.

Harekaze is a bit whoopy...

I use mine as a troll ability. To spook people who haven't spotted me, often keeps them away :Smile_teethhappy:

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

The "new" ship horns? Don't we already have them for over a month? :cap_yes:

All they did was deleting Santa's Hohoho.

Players
198 posts
10,412 battles
26 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

All they did was deleting Santa's Hohoho.

... Which is kind of sad. Some of the horns sounded like Santa farting into a trumbone. Hohoho. Which was funny 

But I wish more people paid attention to the horns. I use to sound them when I see another player about to run into me. This concept, although well-known from such activities like driving a car, seems to be new to many of the people 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,246 posts
7,262 battles

I hate them :Smile_sad:

But I can't turn them off....

Yes I know there is the option to disable shiphorns, but (because some bug i heard) all it does is deactivating my ability to press N to use the shiphorn though I can still clearly hear the other ships abusing their shiphorn because it is "fun" to hold N at the start of the battle for 20 secounds. :Smile_sceptic:

At least the even more stupid "hohoho" is gone now......

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,089 posts
2,419 battles
1 hour ago, Strappster said:

Iirc the whooping is a British thing. 

But all ships have whistles (or typhoons).

Fog horns are for lighthouses though. 

They should replace the whistle with a bell and gong for stationary ships. Because 'at anchor ' and stuff. 

[TAW]
Players
53 posts
17,815 battles

There is this: https://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Communicating-With-Sound-Signals/101039_101039081/

And there is wows. Seems like the proper tactical usage of horns so far is:

• 1 long horn: Celebratory
  • 2 short horns: "Collision imminent". Answer: 1 short: " acknowledged"
  • Random horns without visual: trolling enemy ships xD. @Negativvv

• Funny 1

Players
3,377 posts
7,027 battles

3 short blasts seems to work when it comes to torpedo warning. It should be 5, but by the time you put them through, it might be tad too late:Smile_hiding:

[POI--]
Players
3,412 posts
4,583 battles
On 19.1.2018 at 2:53 PM, Schmidt_zxc said:

I've noticed it's an usefull tactical information tool; you are busy (thats me tunnel visioning) doing stuff and you hear that horn. Immediately you shift your focus and avoid an unfortunate ram with your teammate. Have avoided couple of incidents including enemy torpedo soup and friendly ships in full panic with this little tool

I must admit, I never looked around when hearing it, because I assumed it's just someone who found their horn key. Then again, never heard it mid-battle.

Players
6 posts
116 battles
11 minutes ago, Panocek said:

3 short blasts seems to work when it comes to torpedo warning. It should be 5, but by the time you put them through, it might be tad too late:Smile_hiding:

Around these parts 5 blasts means "W.T.F. are you doing?!" Most frequently heard when a leasure craft strays too close to the commercial shipping lanes near the main harbours. :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1

Players
3,377 posts
7,027 battles
5 minutes ago, RifledSteel said:

Around these parts 5 blasts means "W.T.F. are you doing?!" Most frequently heard when a leasure craft strays too close to the commercial shipping lanes near the main harbours. :Smile_amazed:

Well, its supposed to be "danger" or "intentions unclear". Both are checked when some rowboat is about to meet container ship in the same time and space:Smile_smile:

• Funny 2

[FAIL]
[FAIL]
Beta Tester
217 posts
6,208 battles

It's been well implemented and has helped me out a lot too in avoiding collisions etc. Also it often brings a (internet) smile to those you are avoiding / asking to move.

Also everybody must listen to the Molotov's horn, I don't know quite how to describe it!...

The horn can be found here: https://streamable.com/wjbep

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
6 posts
116 battles
17 minutes ago, Isitari said:

It's been well implemented and has helped me out a lot too in avoiding collisions etc. Also it often brings a (internet) smile to those you are avoiding / asking to move.

Also everybody must listen to the Molotov's horn, I don't know quite how to describe it!...

The horn can be found here: https://streamable.com/wjbep

"A weathered Norwegian fisherman sits near the shoreline in the depths of a fjord, playing an ode to the midnight Sun on his Alphorn on a warm midsummer evening. The music reverberates between the steep clifffaces surrounding him, expressing his gratitude and love for all things living."

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,663 posts
7,207 battles

I agree. Its a great tool to prevent rams.

Beta Tester
1,882 posts
2,083 battles

So, you sound the horn by pressing the 'N' key? I've been wondering....

Also, do all ship horns sound the same?

Edited: I rembember there was a discussion on the forum just after the game went live, about the idea of introducing horns. Most everyone agreed that it would be a terrible idea, since any resident trolls would be certain to use them all the bloody time. Strangely enough, this doesn't seem to have happened. A little bit of my faith in humanity is restored right there; not bad for a Friday afternoon! :fish_cute_2:

Edited by Procrastes

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,244 posts
5,964 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

So, you sound the horn by pressing the 'N' key? I've been wondering....

Also, do all ship horns sound the same?

Yes

No

• Cool 1