Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Excavatus

Tier 6 premium Cruisers

103 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,088 posts
4,824 battles

Gentelmen..

There probably some topics here on this forum about this subject but I am too lazy to search for them and have no idea what happened in the updates so I am asking here.

Finally decided to buy a premium (for credit grind purposes) and decided to go for tier 6s. I don't think sailing a tier 8 prem is good for me, at least for a little while.

Anyway, I looked and researched all of them, read wiki, watched some videos. and now I have 2 options.

as I've mention in the tags,

Duca d'Aosta and De Grasse...

Can I take some advice on them, some experience, some personal info?

For personal style, I prefer fast firing agile ships.

Thanks in advance for anyone who shares his/her wisdom

PS: one question, can I buy them with dubloon in game? because it seems cheaper with that.. for the reasons I dont know :)

[DREAD]
Players
4,696 posts
4,878 battles

Tier 6 Cruisers are in a rough spot due to being uptiered a lot. In case this doesn’t shock you here is my opinion:

- Molotov - great T9 guns but squishy. Was hella OP hem released but changes in the MM And Powercreep left her in the middle of the pack. Still love her.

- DeGrasse - very nice ship and a typical French cruiser. Somewhat trollish armor and super fast with boost. But a typical HE spammer.

- Graf Spee - opposite, few slow firing big guns and surprisingly good torpedoes. Awesome ship but “special” 

These are the ones I own, I don’t have Duca but wasn’t really tempted due to low firepower and high vulnerability. She has the speed thing going for her though.

De Grasse I would recommend, also the other two I own. Can’t help on the choice between Duca and De Grasse though.

Good luck and have fun!

• Cool 3

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
583 posts
7,454 battles

1MajorKönig summon it perfectly. I love them all. Duca is awesome. But i have bad luck with her. Always end up as bottom tier :/ But don´t forget the Perth. A truly awesome little ship. I would choose either DeGrasse or the Perth :) Or why not all? :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,421 posts
5,772 battles
10 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Gentelmen..

There probably some topics here on this forum about this subject but I am too lazy to search for them and have no idea what happened in the updates so I am asking here.

Finally decided to buy a premium (for credit grind purposes) and decided to go for tier 6s. I don't think sailing a tier 8 prem is good for me, at least for a little while.

Anyway, I looked and researched all of them, read wiki, watched some videos. and now I have 2 options.

PS: one question, can I buy them with dubloon in game? because it seems cheaper with that.. for the reasons I dont know :)

Same here.

I finally get De Grasse, and despite I didn't take it out once yet .

I feel that I already know that ship.

From what I've seen and eared it's very similar to LaGal, only better, faster, with more torpedoes per side and slightly better guns.

it's also bigger than LaGal and a bit slower in the turns.

Duca has rail guns (1050 m/s if I'm not mistaken), with a dd like rudder 5.something seconds, if I can remembered correctly), very slim profile when bow in.

What made me choose DeGrasse over Duca was that DeGrase it's a better ship, all-around.

DeGrasse clocks 33 knots, with the speed consumable 37 knots, with SC plus flags, 40 knots,, duca can do this also.

Despite his rail guns, The fire chance in Duca it's almost inexistent, HE initial shell velocity it's the same as Buddy's (but initial, hem).

De Grasse torps are better.

Duca it's a fun ship (told by people who advice me), very fragile, with low survivability.

Duca's guns has shorter range.

So I went for DeGrasse.  

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
884 posts
8,158 battles
44 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Gentelmen..

Both De Grasse and Duca are pretty solid IMO, @1MajorKoenig 's comment was on spot.

Duca is very fast but it is also very squishy, if it survives to the end game it becomes a deadly DD hunter.

But with the current MM (that goes for all tier 6s) it is highly unlikely it will survive that much.

Havent checked with yesterdays patch but up til then, you could buy both those ships in game with dubloons through their tech trees.

Cheers

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,882 posts
2,083 battles

My favourite among tier VI premiums? The Perth, easily!

• She's got that special, moving smoke that lets you confound anti-smoke torpedo spamming, as well as retain some measure of control of engagement ranges even when smoked up. If you use her smoke in conjunction with her hydro, you can really just laugh at most torpedo attacks.
  • She's got a little Walrus spotter plane, with extra fuel tanks (i.e., longer active duration than the norm). This means she can actually spot for herself even when smoked up.
  • She's got good guns, great torpedoes and excellent concealment.
  • She's got koalas!*

* Or maybe they're actually drop bears. There is an ongoing debate on this matter that, with the addition of the new harbour camera view in the recent patch, can perhaps be settled to everyone's content.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,270 posts
14,283 battles

Others have pretty much summed it up the 2 ships. You have french Cruisers so i suppose French Prem is better.

The reason its cheaper in game than shop. Shop you get a port slot(300 Dubloons) as well in game you don't

Players
858 posts
3,869 battles

It's not a cruiser and it's not tier 6 but it's hard to go wrong with the Giulio Cesare. It's easy to rack up nice scores and there's some armour to help you out when you're not top tier. When you are top tier, it's almost ridiculously strong.

Of the two suggestions, I've only got the French one. Excellent gun handling, good HE spammer, fragile as a fragile thing, better than the regular tier 6 French CL. It's also one of the best looking ships in the game with its default camo.

• Cool 1

[CORNG]
Players
600 posts
11,421 battles

I have both, de Grasse and Duca.  Both won in Parcels. If i had to decide between both,  i would take de Grasse. It is a better Galassionnaire. You can try Gala. If your like, then your like de Grasse too. Plus: You can use her as Captain Trainer too, because French Cruiser Techtree. 

Duca is special but funny. Low Gunrange and armor and the HE make her an not easy ship. 

[ADRIA]
Players
225 posts
10,019 battles
35 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

My favourite among tier VI premiums? The Perth, easily!

+1 For Perth :Smile_child:

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,475 posts
8,660 battles

+2 for Perth :Smile-_tongue: 'cause it's different

• Cool 1

Players
131 posts
1,011 battles

I would suggest to get T7 premium instead - pretty much same MM as T6 but stronger ship.

T7 is my favorite tier these days.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,088 posts
4,824 battles

Thanks for all the sharing..

When it comes to choosing,

Perth has, great smoke screen and combined with the spotter aircraft it will give a great 1:30 of free farming. Has a great detectability with 12,5 km..

But beyond that the short range, low health pool and horrible armor.. makes the cons,

On the other hand, Ms. De grasse has great guns but bad reload.. Nice fire chance.. %62 per salvo and that is %44 for Duca.. 9km range topedos.. with good speed..

and the final guy is duca, low fire chance but nice guns.. with spotter aircraft and 12km range for torps with 71 second reload is fantastic.. but they are painfully slow.. (what the hell is 51 Knots.. I can throw faster by hand)

fastest of the tier 6 cruisers (not counting engine boost of the frency) and incredibly agile.. and best AA in between these three..

So basically,

the top positives for me for each ship,

Perth: smoke and low detectability

De grasse: guns and fire chance and speed booster

Duca: agility, top speed, torps and fast firing guns..

and on the negative side..

Perth: armor and AA and very low health pool.

De grasse: reload, AA, turning radius

Duca: Torp speed, fire chance, incredibly bad AP characteristics..

I am leaning towards the Duca actually but I am gonna wait until I get home to see tech trees and to see the ship on my screen :)

On the other hand, is there any difference between these three about the credit making capabilities?

and someone said, buy a tier 7.. how about credit making on tier 7.. Said for the MM wise tier 7 would be better but I really am afraid some of the tier 9 ships.. even more than some 10s.

• Cool 1

Players
131 posts
1,011 battles
29 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

and someone said, buy a tier 7.. how about credit making on tier 7.. Said for the MM wise tier 7 would be better but I really am afraid some of the tier 9 ships.. even more than some 10s.

The point is - thanks to how MM works seeing T9 in T7 ship is very rare. On the other side T8 in T6 ships is very common.

Playing T7 ship is almost like having preferential MM.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:39 AM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

From Reddit (original author: "Oz_boater"):

"Uptiering by ship tier (2,032 random battles on NA using MxStats)

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Added clarification and explicitly mentioned real author on Reddit!

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,270 posts
14,283 battles
7 minutes ago, Ryouzanpakku said:

The point is - thanks to how MM works seeing T9 in T7 ship is very rare. On the other side T8 in T6 ships is very common.

Playing T7 ship is almost like having preferential MM.

thing is if he wants a tier 7 Cruiser there are not many to choose from

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
225 posts
10,019 battles
28 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

In tier 7 you rarely see tier 9. Someone already said it, it's like having a preferential MM, you are mostly gonna play against t5-t7 ships. I would rather buy a tier 7 for better MM than a tier 6 to be honest. 

If you gonna get a tier 7 ship, in my opinion, there is only one viable option: scharnhorst. If you are top tier, you are best BB, if you are bottom tier you are best cruiser. You got heal, torps, agility, concealment, secondaries, fast ROF (for a BB), speed... you got it all in a scharnhorst. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,663 posts
7,201 battles

Best premium T6 cruiser atm is Cleveland :Smile_playing:

Players
131 posts
1,011 battles
13 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

thing is if he wants a tier 7 Cruiser there are not many to choose from

That is unfortunately true.

As for the T6 my suggestion would be bit unorthodox: get Cleveland and buy permanent camo for 1000doubloons.

Under normal circumstances I would never suggest to get premium camo for T6 ship BUT if everything will go as with previous line splits you will get free T8 premium camo for Cleveland  + T6 Pensacola pema camo when US CL line will come.

Edit: LOL @nambr9 stole my wind here :)

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,663 posts
7,201 battles
13 minutes ago, Ryouzanpakku said:

That is unfortunately true.

As for the T6 my suggestion would be bit unorthodox: get Cleveland and buy permanent camo for 1000doubloons.

Under normal circumstances I would never suggest to get premium camo for T6 ship BUT if everything will go as with previous line splits you will get free T8 premium camo for Cleveland  + T6 Pensacola pema camo when US CL line will come.

Edit: LOL @nambr9 stole my wind here :)

Sry :cap_tea: ... I got my first 19 pt captain with Cleveland.

The amount of cmd xp you can grind with camo, flags and operations ...

[SCRUB]
Players
2,305 posts
7,451 battles

I made an account to asia and the only premium I bought, was Atlanta, but I can not recommend it for beginner.

• Cool 1

Players
350 posts
3,426 battles

I don't have De Grasse or Perth, but i have Duca.

I love it, but be careful, because, from all the ship i've tried, is without doubt the one who scale the worst when uptiered.

If you are in tier6 MM, you rock

Tier 7 can be played

Tier 8, especially with tier 8 bbs? you can't carry your own weight.

Poor firing range, plus anemic fire chance makes harassing bb hard.

If you're against Fuso New Mexico and such, which have shotguns, you can reliably stay at 12-13 km while wiggling your [edited].

Against North Carolina and Amagi, definitely not.

Against other cruiser can be decent, against dd is wonderful, but you have to be careful because enemy bbs are probably targeting you.

A 14 point captain is almost mandatory, because you need IFHE + CE.

I have mine only at 12 (with CE) and you can say how match will go at the start. TIer 8 MM with tier 8 BBS? i'm lucky if i do 30k damage. Tier 6? over 60k without effort.

Apart of this, Duca is extremely fun to play and rewards good gameplay, if you are a noob or aren't good with cruisers, it's strongly not reccomended.

Overall, Cleveland and Budyonny are better but  less fun to play.

[CORNG]
Players
600 posts
11,421 battles

I dont hink that Reload is an Argument against de grasse. Yes, it has 8.1, not 7.5 as the other two. On the other hand de Grasse has 9 Guns, not 8. :-)

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Players
1,908 posts
25,204 battles

@Excavatus

For me the Molotov is the best buy, but I would put the purchase of a T6 ship on HOLD.

Grind and play the Cleveland and use your money to buy a perm camo, the best T6 cruiser in the game, she can play well at any tier from T5-T8.

Until you have experienced the Cleveland you haven't experienced a real fun ship.  

• Cool 2

Players
131 posts
1,011 battles

btw - one more point - for me buying premium ship is not really about "what is the best" but about "what brings the unique playstyle"

because of this approach I do not see reason to buy most of the premium ships as "copy paste clone tree ship" is most common approach

My premiums are:

Texas (got it for free thanx to "bring a friend" special) - not playing it at all as I despise slow shotgun ships.

Vampire - not playing at all - again free ship

Kutuzov - this one I have bought... unfortunately too early for my skill to play T8 ship - it is amazing but will play it again when I will have more experience with T7-8 - unique smoke cruiser with great range and fire start chance

Scharnhorst - bought it during xmass with hefty (almost 45%) discount - do not regret it even though it is not 100% my cup of tea, it is great ship to play - plays like VERY tanky cruiser with bad dispersion - nothing comes even close in tech tree

Thinking about buying Graf Spee - again because it has no equivalent in tech tree (but I am bit afraid it will not be fitting my playstyle...)

Overall it is tough to suggest what to get as different people like different things... but as you are asking about cruisers which is what I play 99% of the time I would suggest cruiser stuff I like:

T6 Cleveland (with prem camo as I have explained before)

T7 Fiji & Scharnhorst (yeah I know it is formally BB but playstyle is different)

[NWP]
Players
884 posts
8,158 battles
1 hour ago, Excavatus said:

I am leaning towards the Duca actually but I am gonna wait until I get home to see tech trees and to see the ship on my screen :)

+1

On the other hand, is there any difference between these three about the credit making capabilities?

You will make much more credits in a t7 premium, than a t6. Scharnhorst is a wonderful choice ( and feels like a cruiser anyway)

Facing t9s is a chance to make more credits and xp, but as mentioned t7 is one of the best places to be MM wise (MM used to be even better,still good)

Sign in to follow this