Admiral_of_the_Navy

What line for beginer is best?

10 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
92 battles

So i have heard that a battleship german line should be best line to start world of warships, but i kinda like a lot USN Crusier line. Right now i have tier5 crusier from USN, and tier 3 battleship from germany. However i dont find battleship that easy to play, even on this tier, where cruiser was kinda fun and realy good for me. So my question would be, should i keep on going for german line of battleships... or play crusier insted?

Are battleships realy all that easier to play then cruisers at all?

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,242 posts
5,941 battles

BBs are generally easier to play yes, because they let you make mistakes and get away with them. However, they are useless at tiers 3 and 4 so you can't really use that to measure them. They get better later on. For a beginned i'd recomment US BB line more than the german one, although german battleships are relatively forgiving too. And if you like your cruisers, then just keep playing them. No reason to change the line

Players
1,396 posts
14,394 battles

I would say play whatever is the most fun for you. If you learn how to play cruisers, playing battleships later on will be easy as pie for you.

Just one more tip: Don't tier up too quickly. Try a couple of other ship classes and / or nations. The better you know your enemy the better you can fight him. If you go straight to tier 10 with one ship line you may lose out on a lot of learning experiences.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
3,776 posts
6,504 battles

Every class and nation have their "easy" and "hard" points. Generally either just pick a ship that you want to get and play its line or play around with basically all classes / multiple nations and decide which you like more. Keep in mind tho that up to tier 5 ships vary drastically, starting at it they tend to take more of an even progression (well, at least mostly)

The only lines that would not be recommended would be CVs (Aircraft Carriers) and RN CLs (British Light Cruisers) as those seem to have quite a bit higher skill floor than other nations.

The easiest to start with would be KM BBs (German Battleships) because of their foolproof armour or IJN BBs (Japanese Battleships) because of their speed, range and accuracy.

For Cruisers and Destroyers... my guess would be FR CA/Ls (French Cruisers) as they seem to be quite consistent ad reasonably strong, and probably PA DDs (Pan-Asian Destroyers) as they are currently quite significantly leading on the scoreboard, and as far as I know they have good (great?) guns as well as probably the best torpedoes right now (altho they can't hit other DDs with them)

[W-C]
Players
361 posts
1,593 battles

This topic makes a good read - 

And there is a neat overview of all the lines part-way down too...

Happy sailing :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Players
20 posts
12 hours ago, Admiral_of_the_Navy said:

So i have heard that a battleship german line should be best line to start world of warships, but i kinda like a lot USN Crusier line. Right now i have tier5 crusier from USN, and tier 3 battleship from germany. However i dont find battleship that easy to play, even on this tier, where cruiser was kinda fun and realy good for me. So my question would be, should i keep on going for german line of battleships... or play crusier insted?

Are battleships realy all that easier to play then cruisers at all?

Hey buddy,

New player here as well. I started a topic about beginners' lines but focus more on DD's. 

I found that getting up the tiers too fast was ruining my winrate, and fun. So there is that advice from a fellow newbie. Don't go too fast. I've decided to stay tier V/VI for now to learn the game and the maps and the mechanics etc. 

The low tier USN BB's were fun for me, but very slow. You won't be repositioning in it. Germans are faster but are in closer ranges so risk of getting focussed and destroyed.

Why did you find battleships not that easy to play as opposed to cruisers? Is it getting focussed and wrecked, or the slow reloads and slow speeds, or something else? 

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
705 posts
4,957 battles

I think you are on the right track with the USN Cruiser line as they are versatile and easy to learn the basics from. But as Ze_Reckless has advised Slow Down....You've played 84 Battles and your at Tier V already! Its all to easy to look at the higher tier ships, salivating with enthusiasm to reach them but you will get your [edited]handed to you on a regular basis constantly wondering what the hell you are doing wrong. Believe me take it from one who has learned the hard way..

There are a lot of things to learn when playing wows eg. armour thickness differs on different parts of ships you are targeting...some of your rounds will penetrate ...some wont. Sometimes you need to use HE rounds in certain situations...sometimes Ap etc.

If you haven't already Check out you tube videos from Jingles , Flamu. Look at the training videos here..... https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/guides/ from WG themselves, there's a wealth of information to make you a better player before you start hitting higher tiers etc and you will have a lot more fun doing it!!!

Hope this helps.:Smile_great:

[SM0KE]
Players
1,852 posts
5,297 battles

Another newbie here.

Whatever line(s) you choose (I'm working my way slowly up several different ones at once), bear in mind that you get quite friendly match-making up to Tier 4 i.e. Tier 4s should only see T5 opponents at worst, unless you fail platoon.

As you've probably already discovered, as soon as you start playing T5 and above, you face +2 tier opponents.

My suggestion would be to get the hang of as much of the game as possible using no higher than T4, and only then start playing T5 and above.

The major down-side to this approach is that most current missions usually call for at least T5.

If you do want to mess about with T5 (and higher) before you're strictly ready for them, I suggest doing it in PvE (Co-op mode); you can learn quite a bit there, even if the opposition can be a bit predictable at times, plus grind your boats to the point where they aren't stock (which makes a big difference when facing real people in PvP).

Players
23 posts
7,303 battles

low tier BBs are not representative, they are slow, turn like a brick and their guns are inaccurate. You can be YOLO rushed by a DD and miss him with all your shots from 2km and then he dumps torps into you. So at low tier, don't go alone, use your firepower to cripple enemy cruisers first and then work on the BBs. This will keep your DDs and cruisers alive so they can help you with the BB. As you go up the tiers, BBs range and accuracy improves as does their speed. They become lethal but still vulnerable on their own.

The BBs heal and armour allows it to take damage that would kill a CA but it must have time to heal up.

Cruisers are fun, agile, fast with lots of rapid fire guns which allows you to correct your aim easily, but as you get higher in the tiers, they become increasingly vulnerable to BB fire from across the map and you spend more of your time creeping from island to island to get in those sneaky shots.

Players
841 posts
6,895 battles

low tier BBs are not representative, they are slow, turn like a brick and their guns are inaccurate. 

Sort of. If you go back and play them again when you're a more experienced player (and do that, it's fun) you find that they all have their uses. Apart from a stock Myogi. 

Best starter lines (for me) would be...

Battleship: Royal Navy 1st, KM 2nd

Cruiser: France 1st, Russia 2nd

Destroyer: Japan 1st, KM 2nd

RN BBs win for me because they don't have any particular faults and they make you aware of the different shell types and their uses.

French Cruisers give you modern ships with proper turrets and brilliant torps when everyone else is getting World War 1 designs

Japanese destroyers are just stealth ninja strike fun