You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Displaying Emblems/Insignias after being sunk

56 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
7,192 posts
9,335 battles

Could WG perhaps reduce the time those things show after you've gotten sunk?

Because they take up a good portion of the center of one's camera view and they stay there blocking your view for a couple more seconds than is necessary to have a look at them.

• Cool 8

[OSC]
Players
2,728 posts
10,156 battles

Well, look at it from the bright side.
Now we finally have a ways to say " IN YO FACE MOFO!" after sinking someone, without getting chatban :D

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6
  • Bad 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,192 posts
9,335 battles
1 minute ago, cro_pwr said:

Well, look at it from the bright side.
Now we finally have a ways to say " IN YO FACE MOFO!" after sinking someone, without getting chatban :D

Would be nice if one could get clan emblems.

And I'm well aware that "in yo face" is precisely what WG was going for and I don't have a problem with it, its just the length of how long that emblem stays there smackdab in the middle of your screen is overstaying its welcome by a couple seconds.

I mean, okay, I got sunk. Maybe that guy even properly outplayed me, good for him. So I get presented his emblem, maybe it's even a neat looking one. But I only need a short glance to take all that in and any more than that is simply unnecessary and if you actually want to use your death camera to do something useful like spectate to help a division mate, having to look past the emblem is just a nuisance even if it's just for a couple seconds.

Should be an easy enough tweak for WG to make, just decrease the time the emblem gets displayed. Maybe add a fade-away effect that makes the emblem transparent so you can look through it instead of it just sitting there blocking your view until it vanishes.

I know I'm nitpicking, but it's something that simply stood out to me.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,970 posts

I wish we could adorn those badges with a motto (dependable per ship), for the Kamikaze, it would be " Invisa et Inopinata " (unseen and unexpected). 

But you're right. I'd like to see those post-death popups being removed altogether.

• Cool 1

[CSN]
Players
311 posts
2,770 battles

Wish we could get some anime badges :Smile_great:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-HUN-]
Players
703 posts
7,962 battles
4 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

I wish we could adorn those badges with a motto (dependable per ship), for the Kamikaze, it would be " Invisa et Inopinata " (unseen and unexpected). 

But you're right. I'd like to see those post-death popups being removed altogether.

Yeah, I could totally imagine those mottos: "Eat it, f*cker" "Boom, goes the dynamite" "Seaing somewhere?" "Your ship s(t)inks." "Back to port MoFo" :D

[LOBUZ]
[LOBUZ]
Players
4,289 posts
16,055 battles

Definitely it would involve the mother in some way most of the time

[CAIN]
[CAIN]
Players
2,726 posts
10,679 battles
48 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Would be nice if one could get clan emblems.

So much this.

I don't mind those funky emblems, but it'd be really nice if the Clan emblem was displayed!

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,499 posts
4,650 battles
57 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Yeah, I could totally imagine those mottos: "Eat it, f*cker" "Boom, goes the dynamite" "Seaing somewhere?" "Your ship s(t)inks." "Back to port MoFo" :D

Yes. And this is why we will never see freely created mottos/emblems/etc.

[POP]
Players
298 posts
7,417 battles
1 hour ago, MrFingers said:

This! Altough I bet we'd see more mottos in the spirit of cro_pwr.

In faciem tuam matrem irrumator praetor

• Funny 1

[TENGO]
Players
1,566 posts
8,707 battles
26 minutes ago, Altsak said:

Who the hell made this abomination of a sentence?

[PORT]
Modder
1,474 posts
10,754 battles

I made a mod to hide all emblems and patches:

• No script is changed - so nothing illegal, only pictures replaced

• will not hide the "you have been killed by xxx" - text

• Already listed it in the mod-section, but it takes some days till they test it :D

• download, extract and place it in World_of_Warships\res_mods\0.7.0.1

Download here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Av8RVvqHnCfqd40O92Dg67b80AhE9rPS/view?usp=sharing

As requested, a version that keeps the emblems but removes them from the kill-cam:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrZMIBdcdjQ4JMQgiJ31eD7XDBLtjhYU/view?usp=sharing

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles

I dont really care about this function. May just end up boosting the kill steal playstyle for some. Do i really care to see an emblem from a player who got the last 800HP hit on me when another guy took away 80% of my health? Why not show that guy that made most damage to me instead or even better, instead of this (because you can see who killed you anyways in the kill feed) why not after every game 3 players get displayed for both teams, maybe the one with the most damage done, the most tanking done and maybe the most capping done and with a choice to give them a compliment (so we finally actually see a good way to use that function).

I believe this is more fun and rewarding to see and it would promote better playstyles by random players (hopefully).

Or am i way of the mark, once again?! :Smile_amazed:

But if not this, then definitely the clan emblem with maybe some wordings that you self could put in the settings perhaps!

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,192 posts
9,335 battles
4 minutes ago, collin_mats said:

Or am i way of the mark, once again?! :Smile_amazed:

But if not this, then definitely the clan emblem with maybe some wordings that you self could put in the settings perhaps!

You were :cap_old:

I was just nitpicking at the length of time that emblem stays visible and blocking the center of your screen.

Also most definately going to veto allowing people to compose phrases to be used along with emblems. Custom images being used as clan logos/emblems can already be problematic enough if some joker decides to try and sneak something stupid (or outright illegal symbols) into it. But at least the workload of scanning through images for unwanted content can be simplified. Try checking phrases/mottos from two dozen different languages for nonsense like someone cussing the would-be victims mother in some obscure dialect.

[TENGO]
Players
1,566 posts
8,707 battles
1 hour ago, Altsak said:

This! Altough I bet we'd see more mottos in the spirit of cro_pwr.

LOL

@Altsak

Ok, so I understood what you were (quite pathetically) trying to say, so I googled "how to say motherf* in latin", and you must have copy pasted some expression of those idiot sites.

Sorry if this feels agressive but I hate people abusing languages they don't know anything about, just to sound "cool", while in essence it only sounds, and is, utterly idiotic.

Your sentence means: "Praetor, in your face [and in] your mother who is a guy that fellates other men". Or something like that because that sentence is semantically and syntactically flawed. I do wonder if you even know what a praetor is.

That expression on one of those sites must have made some stupid attempt, based upon a verse of Catullus - " praesertim quibus esset irrumator praetor", i.e. "especially concerning those to whom the governor was a cocks**er"...

If you really need to sound cool in a language or a culture that you clearly know nothing about (quia quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur, amiright? :Smile_sceptic:), it would be "in faciem tuam, fututor matris" - which still would be stupid because "in your face" is a very typical contemporary expression, and hence untranslatable - the same for "motherf*", but at least the insult would be understood.

---

Some higher culture for the interested. Romans had a certain tolerance for homosexual expressions, starting from the premisse that being the active role is accepted, being the passive one, is absolutely not. Hence in both possible expressions of physical sexuality have two concepts. For the oral component, this would be:

irruminator: the one who gets the fellatio  -  which is why making a translation of "motherf*" based on this term utterly ludicrous

fellator: the one who performs the fellatio

1msafm.jpg

• Cool 5

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,247 posts
7,277 battles
25 minutes ago, collin_mats said:

Why not show that guy that made most damage to me instead or even better, instead of this (because you can see who killed you anyways in the kill feed) why not after every game 3 players get displayed for both teams, maybe the one with the most damage done, the most tanking done and maybe the most capping done and with a choice to give them a compliment (so we finally actually see a good way to use that function).

And I already thought how much that current emblem showing system after someone sinked me reminded me way too strong off certain FPS mostly played by Teens in their puberty..... :cap_old:

The day this game gets the same "I'm so cool watch me" emotes/badges/showoffs like Call of Duty I am out of here...... (If you can't turn it off)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
14 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

You were :cap_old:

I was just nitpicking at the length of time that emblem stays visible and blocking the center of your screen.

Also most definately going to veto allowing people to compose phrases to be used along with emblems. Custom images being used as clan logos/emblems can already be problematic enough if some joker decides to try and sneak something stupid (or outright illegal symbols) into it. But at least the workload of scanning through images for unwanted content can be simplified. Try checking phrases/mottos from two dozen different languages for nonsense like someone cussing the would-be victims mother in some obscure dialect.

Yeah, i must admit that was a pretty dumb idea, my thoughts was that you could say something nice or something, but i think you are right, most would probably abuse this for yet another chance to spread some hate around. 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,192 posts
9,335 battles
3 minutes ago, collin_mats said:

Yeah, i must admit that was a pretty dumb idea, my thoughts was that you could say something nice or something, but i think you are right, most would probably abuse this for yet another chance to spread some hate around. 

Well, just today I had a game with two idiots posting "Heil Hitler" in the game chat, sooo ...

Players
16 posts
2,424 battles
2 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

---

Some higher culture for the interested. Romans had a certain tolerance for homosexual expressions, starting from the premisse that being the active role is accepted, being the passive one, is absolutely not. Hence in both possible expressions of physical sexuality have two concepts. For the oral component, this would be:

irruminator: the one who gets the fellatio  -  which is why making a translation of "motherf*" based on this term utterly ludicrous

fellator: the one who performs the fellatio

Enlighten me, because I am in doubt. 

Who's the active one, the fellator or the irruminator?

Players
3,503 posts
7,254 battles
3 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

Sorry if this feels agressive but I hate people abusing languages they don't know anything about, just to sound "cool", while in essence it only sounds, and is, utterly idiotic.

Romanes eunt domus.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
32 posts
7,263 battles

wish their was an option to disable  not everyone  wants a patch and as a purely visual feature it should be able to be turned of similar to Halloween cammos etc.

• Cool 2

[TENGO]
Players
1,566 posts
8,707 battles
1 hour ago, Squidpusher said:

Who's the active one, the fellator or the irruminator?

Sigh. I needed to keep it a little light, because of sensitivities :Smile_hiding:

But you asked. Your question is understandable by the way.

You'd think the fellator would be classified as the active one, cause he does something, while the other one just takes it.

Though, irrumare; the verb, was in essence not "getting/receiving fellatio" (which, indeed, sounds passive), but, forcing someone to perform fellatio.. In essence, oral rape. So that makes the other one the one being raped - which is, of course, passive.

Very much linked to the whole shame thing related to the passive one, i.e. the fellator. (compare to modern expressions as "lick my ba**s, or s**k my d**k". If performed, those actions are not physically painful, but very psychologically and socially pain - and shameful) We also have reports of soldiers in antiquity, raping the conquered soldiers, both in this and in the other way. Male soldiers, that is. (you thought taking pictures in prisons was bad...)

The "active" role was in essence synonym with the "dominant" one. In an extremely masculine culture as the Romans it explains the extreme taboo that laid upon the passive/dominated role.

A similar thing can be observed in the "pederasty" (NOT the same as today) in ancient greece, where the older man was not supposed to undergo said passive acts. There it can even seen grammatically: the older man was called erastès, the younger one eromenos, which are derived from the same verb (eraein), but the first from the active and the second from the passive participle...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrj9i_F6DrYEvfHNtOajF

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,650 posts
6,886 battles

Already looking for a button to switch the [edited]things off.

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,220 posts
7,033 battles
6 hours ago, MrFingers said:

This plus:

6 hours ago, Asakka said:

Wish we could get some anime badges :Smile_great:

This...

"Yes, I'm a weeaboo... but only because it annoys you". :Smile_trollface:

4 hours ago, collin_mats said:

I dont really care about this function. May just end up boosting the kill steal playstyle for some. Do i really care to see an emblem from a player who got the last 800HP hit on me when another guy took away 80% of my health? Why not show that guy that made most damage to me instead or even better, instead of this (because you can see who killed you anyways in the kill feed) why not after every game 3 players get displayed for both teams, maybe the one with the most damage done, the most tanking done and maybe the most capping done and with a choice to give them a compliment (so we finally actually see a good way to use that function).

Yeah I was thinking about that as well. Too much focus on kills anyways. And generally there is too much focus on personal achievement in a supposedly team-based game. Then again, I guess WG left that idea behind after release.

4 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Well, just today I had a game with two idiots posting "Heil Hitler" in the game chat, sooo ...

There are still people in this world that say these kind of things? I hope you reported them... Not that it helps... Its funny these guys don't get chatbanned...

I haven't seen the emblems yet, but just from hearing of it, I'm not really looking forward to it tbh.