Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Akula971

New Game mode required

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,733 battles

My first game after the update, and its business as usual. In so much as the usual pattern of failure, whereby  battleships head to caps that are already taken, cruisers hide behind certain islands that mean they cannot fire on anything (Shards), and the ships that end up on the border, having spent the last 5 minutes running away.

How to fix? Well, once a cap is taken it is removed from the game either permanently,  timed or the area mined. A new objective is defined, either a new cap point appears, or you have to prevent enemy ships entering an area, like in operations, or an enemy ship is set as a priority target for a fixed time (they are notified).  To force ships that runaway and hide ~(the team will carry them?) start a gradual reduction in map size, like in a  certain PubG battle royal game.  Mine areas where ship hide but cannot fire, or make the island lower. I know that some ship can fire over islands from concealment, but there are islands where people hide , thinking shards again.

Now I'm not suggesting all these in one game mode, but some sort of new dynamic to force or encourage people to play correctly. Because quite frankly, seeing the same repetitive patterns of gameplay that result in failure is no fun. A game that has no fun has no future.

Constructive thoughts and suggestions welcome.

• Cool 3

[OGHF]
Players
544 posts
10,389 battles

Mmm, not a good idea, as the objective is 2 fold, you cap and then defend that cap as well as pushing for another cap.

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,733 battles

And when the "team" won't play the objective, or go to an objective already taken?

Players
458 posts
5,056 battles

Problem is not in caping, not caping, passive players, sniping ect..ect.. 

Problem is in rewarding, it is a fault of the game not players - game only reward damage and kill all other more important stuff in game is not rewarded as it should --- so if you tank and have let say 2-2.5 milion potential damage on you well that super but player who have played passive whole game in his Full hp BB sniping from 26km and have died last like pus** he will get far more xp than tanking BB who actually helped whole team by being focused so DD could cap and cruisers would survive and try to kill enemy DDs while enemy BBs shoot on you...

I can go on and on about whole of that stuff you will do to really help your team and will not get a zip of xp - you could spot in DD for your team risking to be detected and killed, you could defend and stop enemy cap-ing - whole mechanic is wrongly rewarded and until WG do something about that players will play like they play now - passive and uncompetitive and hidden behind island and no caping , no tanking, no spotting, no defending ---- more and more good player leaves this game because they can not take this kind of gameplay anymore... 

• Cool 1

[KAGA]
Weekend Tester
15 posts
1,328 battles

Timegated caps is not a bad idea in my opinion.:Smile_hiding:

A certain game (Fractured Space) has a similar system, combining both regular caps and a central timegated cap. And it works pretty well. People first fight for the hard caps (they give points in a siilar fashion to WoWs), and then, if they have the possibility, go fight for that central cap which is unlocked after 5-10 minutes. What matters is that that cap doesn't act like a regular one, but instead gives a massive, one time boost (in the form of damage/speed buff) to the team that secured it and afterwards becomes basically useless, since it won't give out any more boosts.

What the map in fractured Space looks like

Spoiler

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fracturedspace/images/e/ea/Map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150707085246

• E and A are base caps
  • A1/2 and B1/2 are regular point caps
  • G is that special central cap

Those forum changes, I don't even get how to add an image :Smile_facepalm:

Something similar could be implemented into WoWs on the basis of the domination game mode.

Make one of the caps (preferably a central one), become timegated and award a huge 100-200 points boost upon securing. Interesting tactical choices on when/wether to disengage and head to that cap will have to be made.

However two massive problems instantly arise :

1. It might also be grossly overpowered, a team with an early DD advantage will have it pretty easy to secure that cap and have a (too?)good chance at winnning the game. 
  2. Wouldn't lemmingtraining one external cap, overwhelm it (or counter a possible ennemy lemmingtrain) and then just head to that central cap be a too easy tactic to win the game?  Maybe this can be avoided with the point boost being only a tactical choice, not an you-cap-you-win choice, and the timegated cap not being a central one.

All in all, whilst this is a pretty rough idea it might feature new positioning options and disengagement choices, overall bringing something fresh to the game modes. 

If done properly it has it's place in WoWs and I'd be up for that.:Smile_honoring:

tldr: domination mode with one timegated cap maybe?

Players
721 posts
10,603 battles
10 hours ago, Akula971 said:

To force ships that runaway and hide ~(the team will carry them?) start a gradual reduction in map size, like in a  certain PubG battle royal game. 

I like this idea!

[L4GG]
Players
1,416 posts
5,767 battles
10 hours ago, Akula971 said:

How to fix? Well, once a cap is taken it is removed from the game either permanently,  timed or the area mined. A new objective is defined, either a new cap point appears, or you have to prevent enemy ships entering an area, like in operations, or an enemy ship is set as a priority target for a fixed time (they are notified).  To force ships that runaway and hide ~(the team will carry them?) start a gradual reduction in map size, like in a  certain PubG battle royal game.  Mine areas where ship hide but cannot fire, or make the island lower. I know that some ship can fire over islands from concealment, but there are islands where people hide , thinking shards again.

No, Not another gimmicks to force players to push.

What about?

remove cap points completely. (no more domination crap).

remove map borders

Last man standing.

Who fight, fights, who run, runs.

If the game is hanged by someone that runned away, wining or losing, the team that takes it all will be defined by the team that had more points at the moment that the last fighting player was sunk .

And...

What about this, all the same as usual, two teams, team play and all.

But in chart after the battle the rewards are given on individual bases, so the winning side can have  the best elements of both sides.

[W-C]
Players
361 posts
1,593 battles

No idea if this would work in practice (would probably need a re-work on spawning or something?), but i had wondered... would it be possible to make the map 'borders' joined? So if you left the 'edge' of the map, you 'appeared' on the opposite side? And then have the minimap always centred on your ship so that this wouldn't be confusing? You would obviously need some pretty clever DoF rendering/fogging stuff to prevent you 'seeing' all the way round the world (I know enough about the mechanics of rendering to know I don't know anything :))!

Probably not practical, but it would remove borders without giving the 'run away for ever' option :)

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

No idea if this would work in practice (would probably need a re-work on spawning or something?), but i had wondered... would it be possible to make the map 'borders' joined? So if you left the 'edge' of the map, you 'appeared' on the opposite side? And then have the minimap always centred on your ship so that this wouldn't be confusing? You would obviously need some pretty clever DoF rendering/fogging stuff to prevent you 'seeing' all the way round the world (I know enough about the mechanics of rendering to know I don't know anything :))!

Probably not practical, but it would remove borders without giving the 'run away for ever' option :)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't this incentivize even further abuse of the borders in the sense you could linger right on the edge to fire with impunity by constantly teleporting away from and back to the same spot between reloads and messing with the ability of the enemy team to return fire?

Or are you going for an option without hard borders at all? My puny brain struggles to comprehend how that might work on such a small map.

[W-C]
Players
361 posts
1,593 battles
4 hours ago, rvfharrier said:

My puny brain struggles to comprehend how that might work on such a small map.

Yeah, I was thinking the option without hard borders at all - like, a real-life 'round world'... and I've kind of maxed out my brain getting this far too! Map sizes would need to be more than double the max range (spotting or shoot) of any ship as a minimum, and likewise draw-distance would need to be limited to at most half of the map size.

Dunno if this makes sense (yep, I'm sad enough to have drawn this just now!).

2cpymn4.png

Red Square is rendered map, As ship (Arrow) moves towards bottom/right of map, the green sections of (non-rendered) map behind him are 'moved' to be infront of him ready for rendering in his feild of view. and vice-versa, feeling like your just going round the world (on a flat map)!? I think I'm confused... :fish_boom:

Sign in to follow this