MrConway

Training Rooms

16 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,588 posts
2,397 battles

Captains,

Please leave any feedback regarding the training room feature in this thread.

Training Room

When you reach Service Record Level 15, you can create a Training Room Battle to test ship loadouts and tactics for Random or Clan Battles or re-enact historic battles to your heart's content. You define the number of participants, ship types and nationalities, maps and even weather conditions. Don’t worry about economy or service costs – you don’t expend ammo or consumables, or pay for the post-battle service of your ship in these training battles. 

You won’t earn Credits in Training Rooms though. 

The Training Room creator can:

• Distribute players between two teams of up to 12 players each for a maximum of 24
  • Establish nations or tier or ship type limits - there are a maximum 12 ships of each type except carriers which have a maximum of three per team
  • Select the map, type weather conditions and duration of a battle
  • Add a description to a Training Room so other players can find it
  • Limit access by setting a password

The room creator can invite players to join the room and distribute them between two teams: Alpha and Bravo, while assigning commanders for both teams. These commanders can then invite players into their own teams. There is also an option to hide the ships of both teams, activated with the "Hide enemy ships" menu option.

Also, test the main guns of your newly purchased ship and find out just where to hit the citadels of enemy ships by adding bots to the battle as static targets.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

CVs always used to have up to  12 per team limit same as others. Why change their limit down to 3, ESPECIALLY if the bots can't move & fight anyway?

Another point - wasn't competitive (like KotS) fought in Training Rooms? So now maps that don't have those special spawns for tier 1s can have up to 2 spectators per side instead of the previous 3? I'm pretty sure no team will give up their CV just so one more person could spectate.

Players
3,031 posts
7,141 battles

Were moving and fighting bots removed from the training room? Because that was basically one of the best features the old training rooms had!

Or is that option now hidden somewhere?

• Cool 3

Players
305 posts
12,062 battles

The restriction on CVs and the removal of active bots are both glaring deficiencies in the Training Room functionality. Another problem I noticed is that after exiting the Training Room menus, upon returning to port my selected battle type had changed from Random to Co-op. Please change it so that the battle type selection remains the same after using the Training Room.

• Cool 1

Players
165 posts
6,994 battles

Earlier, on the post on the portal (MrConway) argued that the reason that there is not 12 cv players available is due to performance issues for people and stress on the server. Even with the old (better) training room anyone could handle 12 cvs in a team, even me in a 2 year old HP when I was on holiday, if it is really an issue, make it an option but put a tick box in the settings or in the training room allowing 12 cvs, but giving a message talking about potential performance problems.

With the server, personally if the game cant even handle 30k players online, and have the UI lag to hell, its stupid to continue to make the game even more noob friendly without teaching people if you dont have the capacity. Its never going to be over 100 games in the Training room, your not even facilitating bots into it, I see no reason then to have a cv cap.

[BAD-B]
Players
808 posts
2,440 battles

You could have just included the old training room mod into the normal client ... they UI was not very intuitive, but you could get almost all possible scenarios to work. Instead you created a better looking UI but removed 1/3 - 1/2 of the features ....

Looks like the only good thing about this patch is the Musashi and the HSF stuff, everything else is a waste of resources (heavy complaints on div ui, emblems etc...).

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
2,145 posts
10,220 battles

Umm, apparently I am not missing some option to turn bots "active" as i expected at first. That's most unfortunate. How is one to test a ship's AA when you can't pit it against a set bot CV?

Anyway, shooting immobile targets can bring some knowledge of where to aim, but it's far from practicing on hitting moving targets.

Starting to miss the old training room, really.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,191 posts
12,596 battles

Takes 5 unnecessary minutes to get to the other ships. Maybe adjustable starting positions - 'close', 'normal'?

Being able to choose specific bot ships - either of the silver ships or from the premiums you have in port - would be nice.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,588 posts
2,397 battles
On 1/19/2018 at 5:35 PM, VeryHonarbrah said:

Earlier, on the post on the portal (MrConway) argued that the reason that there is not 12 cv players available is due to performance issues for people and stress on the server. Even with the old (better) training room anyone could handle 12 cvs in a team, even me in a 2 year old HP when I was on holiday, if it is really an issue, make it an option but put a tick box in the settings or in the training room allowing 12 cvs, but giving a message talking about potential performance problems.

With the server, personally if the game cant even handle 30k players online, and have the UI lag to hell, its stupid to continue to make the game even more noob friendly without teaching people if you dont have the capacity. Its never going to be over 100 games in the Training room, your not even facilitating bots into it, I see no reason then to have a cv cap.

@Sehales once managed to crash the supertest server with carriers in the training rooms ;) While this might not have a bad affect for all clients it is definitely heavy on our servers.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:52 PM, XDMeloniXD said:

It would be nice to get bots to the training rooms and that you can decide what ship it plays, to test out own ships.

If you just want to test your own ship's performance, I would suggest taking it into coop where you will be facing active bots.

[T-N-T]
Players
2,145 posts
10,220 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

@Sehales once managed to crash the supertest server with carriers in the training rooms ;) While this might not have a bad affect for all clients it is definitely heavy on our servers.

If you just want to test your own ship's performance, I would suggest taking it into coop where you will be facing active bots.

But only a very limited selection of bots. No way to even make sure you'll get to really shoot at the bots. Some maps and spawns are highly disadvantageous as far as even getting in the fight in coop goes, like say "Two Brothers" or "Estuary". The large islands make it possible for you to never even meet the enemy bots after picking the wrong side to go (the lucky players that were on the other side meanwhile benefit in having the "test subjects" for themselves).

• Cool 1

[BAD-B]
Players
808 posts
2,440 battles
21 hours ago, MrConway said:

This all comes from the unavailability of the test server outside specific times. People needing to test anything have to do with live and what ever is available ... Would be that much of a problem to have the test server available at all times on the latest Live build if it is not needed for public testing ? After all it is not the only testing environment available for WG devs.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,588 posts
2,397 battles

I can ask, but I will hazard a guess that the test server is used to run other tests when not in use for testing.

If you feel that strongly about wanting to do lots of testing, you should apply to supertest when we open recruitment again, that will soon cure that urge :cap_like:

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
17 posts
4,968 battles
On 1/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, MrConway said:

To be completely honest with you, as a paying customer who buys almost every premium, I have close to no understanding for these "server load" arguments, and Wargaming removing existing features from the game. After all, 1 year premium account or any T8 premium costs about the same as most AAA titles from other companies. If they go for such performance limitations in multiplayer, I get the argument. For a game like WoWs with its very premium pricing, I don't - but I still play it and pay for it because I value the active development.

When you're worried about server crash issues, make a separate server cluster for training rooms that can crash and reboot when it wants.

Also, it worked with the "old" training rooms since the release of the game - every player who is informed, interested in the game and testing things will have already found the hidden config flag a very long time ago. Could you not just hide the options for active bots behind the hidden config flag, as it always was, so that simply the old services was restored? I never noticed any unnecessary server crash before the new training rooms.

Another option would be to make active bots an option only premium accounts can use, so that those who create server load pay for it accordingly, and the freebie potatos won't. Or introduce a constant price of like 1000 doubloons to unlock it etc.

After all, I find it a pity that you destroy players' opportunity to set up their own active testing conditions (AA Tests especially), the possibility for Youtubers to make hilarious fun videos like "10 Kürfürst vs 10 Yamato" etc., and make the game worse by a good feature.

• Cool 2